July 29, 2014, 05:23:47 AM

Author Topic: EOS 7D Mark II Spec List Surfaces [CR1]  (Read 35063 times)

Chuck Alaimo

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • Chuck Alaimo Photography
Re: EOS 7D Mark II Spec List Surfaces [CR1]
« Reply #240 on: November 02, 2013, 01:30:00 PM »
correct me if I'm wrong, but, isn't the area set aside for the flash replaced by the wifi antennae?  Isn't that one of the reasons the 6d, which is more geared towards the consumer crowd than the 7d2, didn't get a pop up flash?  I thought it was something to do with the body construction (type of metal would block wifi signal and weather sealing, so they had to put the wifi antennae outside of that shell in that little nub the pop up flash would go).

Note that the 70D has a pop-up flash and WiFi....

You can put the WiFi antenna anywhere, but the top is the best position....

The GPS antenna is a lot more restrictive, the best signal comes when it is mounted on the top...

Even if the antennas are not on top, you still get a signal, just not as good. Typically the cameras are used in portrait mode and carried lens-down... so the top side/back edge is the preferred position.

Again, in a non weather sealed body, I had read that somewhere, in a non weather sealed body they put wholes in the casing to allow the signal to get through --- the need to put it outside thecasing was more for weather sealing purposes, at least from what I read.
Owns 5Dmkiii, 6D, 16-35mm, 24mm 1.4, 70-200mm 2.8, 50mm 1.4, 85 mm 1.8, 100mm 2.8 macro, 1-600RT, 2 430 EX's, 1 video light

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #240 on: November 02, 2013, 01:30:00 PM »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: November 02, 2013, 01:38:47 PM »
Again, in a non weather sealed body, I had read that somewhere, in a non weather sealed body they put wholes in the casing to allow the signal to get through --- the need to put it outside thecasing was more for weather sealing purposes, at least from what I read.

I think you read misinformation.  The 1D X is as weather sealed as a Canon dSLR gets, and it's magnesium alloy shell has more holes than Swiss cheese...

EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

Don Haines

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Posting cat pictures on the internet since 1986
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: November 02, 2013, 01:40:33 PM »

I think you read misinformation.  The 1D X is as weather sealed as a Canon dSLR gets, and it's magnesium alloy shell has more holes than Swiss cheese...

You beat me to it.....
The best camera is the one in your hands

Chuck Alaimo

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: November 02, 2013, 01:41:12 PM »

ok, color me wrong...it was a while ago i had heard that though, back when the first releases the 6d
Owns 5Dmkiii, 6D, 16-35mm, 24mm 1.4, 70-200mm 2.8, 50mm 1.4, 85 mm 1.8, 100mm 2.8 macro, 1-600RT, 2 430 EX's, 1 video light

Don Haines

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Posting cat pictures on the internet since 1986
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: November 02, 2013, 01:54:35 PM »

ok, color me wrong...it was a while ago i had heard that though, back when the first releases the 6d
The big problem in  RF is how to block signals...
The best camera is the one in your hands

Ruined

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: November 02, 2013, 02:36:29 PM »

correct me if I'm wrong, but, isn't the area set aside for the flash replaced by the wifi antennae?  Isn't that one of the reasons the 6d, which is more geared towards the consumer crowd than the 7d2, didn't get a pop up flash?  I thought it was something to do with the body construction (type of metal would block wifi signal and weather sealing, so they had to put the wifi antennae outside of that shell in that little nub the pop up flash would go).

I'll be honest, Canon makes up a lot of BS and excuses for leaving out features either for differentiation or for cost purposes.  Pop up flash, wifi, and GPS are all able to be fit in a body.  Example no headphone jack on the 70D - "we ran out of room," yeah, ok... I'm sure there are absolutely no free spaces anywhere on the 70D body, lol.  Cell phones 1/10th the size and 1/10th the cost of the 7D have wifi, gps, flash, headphone jack, usb port, and a whole lot more.  Canon is just trying to balance 'product differentiation' and costs, but often makes up nonsensical excuses when pushed on why something was not included.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2013, 02:39:16 PM by Ruined »

Chuck Alaimo

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: November 02, 2013, 02:57:15 PM »

to be honest, the pop up flash is so useless that I often wondered why it was on the original 7d.  I get the pop up flash for the entry level models, the rebels and the XXD series, but a pop up flash on a prosumer model....seems like a waste of real estate....

I'll be honest, Canon makes up a lot of BS and excuses for leaving out features either for differentiation or for cost purposes.  Pop up flash, wifi, and GPS are all able to be fit in a body.  Example no headphone jack on the 70D - "we ran out of room," yeah, ok... I'm sure there are absolutely no free spaces anywhere on the 70D body, lol.  Cell phones 1/10th the size and 1/10th the cost of the 7D have wifi, gps, flash, headphone jack, usb port, and a whole lot more.  Canon is just trying to balance 'product differentiation' and costs, but often makes up nonsensical excuses when pushed on why something was not included.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #246 on: November 02, 2013, 02:57:15 PM »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: November 02, 2013, 03:43:46 PM »
to be honest, the pop up flash is so useless that I often wondered why it was on the original 7d.  I get the pop up flash for the entry level models, the rebels and the XXD series, but a pop up flash on a prosumer model....seems like a waste of real estate....

The 7D was the first camera able to be an optical master for Speedlites (via that popup flash), and that's a very useful capability in a prosumer model.

Of course, with the current RT system, the camera could be the master without the onboard flash - and I hope we see that someday!
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

noel

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: November 02, 2013, 03:50:16 PM »
Why only one slot, do you think?

N
Current camera: Film, Canon EOS A2E (love it, but need a DSLR asap)

Marsu42

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • ML-66d / 100L / 70-300L / 17-40L / 600rts
    • View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #249 on: November 02, 2013, 03:53:18 PM »
Why only one slot, do you think?

Either it's a rather compact model so that 2 cf slots don't fit, Canon doesn't want combined cf/sd, or (more likely) Canon plays the good ol' "professional use should be expensive" game and reserves mission-critical features like a backup slot for the 5d3+ line.

StudentOfLight

• EOS M2
  • I'm on a life-long journey of self-discovery
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: November 02, 2013, 06:14:29 PM »
I still think single SD or CF card could cause a bottleneck in the data pipepline. If you do the calculations you'll see that 24MP at 10fps is a higher data rate than the 1DX so I doubt it will actually be that much. It is more likely to be around 23.3MP (like 5D-III) and 9fps, which would still be an improvement on the 7D. Those numbers at least seem to be inline with the capability of the dual-digic5+ architecture as seen in the 1DX.

I've seen talk of improved video capability. I hope this means in-camera HDR-video. I'm sure Canon knows what the Magic lantern guys get up to in their spare time... Surely this could be on the cards right??? Staying on the topic of video, I would be shocked if it didn't have a headphone-out jack. I think the lack of headphone jack on the 70D is a deliberate omission to allow room for differentiation with the 7D-II...

Built-in Wifi and GPS makes sense for this type of sports/action/wildlife camera. It is essential that it has a "Rate" button like 5D-III. For working action photographers this is a kick-ass addition which really speeds up your workflow.

OSD
Fantasy Gear:
TS-E: 45mm f/2.8 L-II,  EF: 40mm f/0.8,  100mm f/1.4,  35-85mm f/1.8, 
EF with 1.4xInt: 100-300mm f/4 ,  500mm f/5.6 L

Zv

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Zee-bytes
« Reply #251 on: November 02, 2013, 08:15:58 PM »

The 7D was the first camera able to be an optical master for Speedlites (via that popup flash), and that's a very useful capability in a prosumer model.

Of course, with the current RT system, the camera could be the master without the onboard flash - and I hope we see that someday!

The pop up flash as an optical master is actually quite useful in the 7D. It was my first time trying out off camera flash on the cheap using a 320EX. And when I moved up to radio triggers it served as my back up. When traveling it's nice to be able to leave the triggers at home and just simplifies off camera flash on the fly. I leave the pop up in optical master mode for quick portraits when out and about with a 430EX. Very compact and flexible lighting set up. I honestly miss that with the 5D, but with the Yongnuo 560III I only need one additional small radio trigger so maybe it's OK! (Still one extra thing to fumble with and put batteries in though).
5D II | 17-40L | 24-105L | 70-200 f4L IS | 135L | SY 14mm f/2.8 | Sigma 50 f/1.4

EOS M | 22 f/2 | 11-22 IS

dolina

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: November 03, 2013, 11:57:53 PM »
If the Mark II will indeed share the same AF system as the 5D Mark III and 1D X I hope they will allow for f/8 autofocus.
Visit my Flickr, Facebook & 500px and see my photos. :)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #252 on: November 03, 2013, 11:57:53 PM »

WPJ

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: November 04, 2013, 12:06:15 AM »
If the Mark II will indeed share the same AF system as the 5D Mark III and 1D X I hope they will allow for f/8 autofocus.

hopefully more like 1dx, which is way better than 5d as it has a dedicated af CPU, where the 5d uses the main digic.

my hope / vote is for dedicated af CPU...

dolina

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: November 04, 2013, 01:25:33 AM »

hopefully more like 1dx, which is way better than 5d as it has a dedicated af CPU, where the 5d uses the main digic.

my hope / vote is for dedicated af CPU...
You can buy two 5D3s for every one 1DX. ;)
Visit my Flickr, Facebook & 500px and see my photos. :)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #254 on: November 04, 2013, 01:25:33 AM »