July 24, 2014, 09:00:26 AM

Author Topic: EOS 7D Mark II Spec List Surfaces [CR1]  (Read 34670 times)

Don Haines

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Posting cat pictures on the internet since 1986
    • View Profile
Re: EOS 7D Mark II Spec List Surfaces [CR1]
« Reply #135 on: October 28, 2013, 04:45:50 PM »
I still say it's going to be a 24Mpixel dual-pixel mirrorless camera..... I have never gotten a prediction right yet and this should keep my record intact.... :)

and on a somewhat more serious note.... how long before 120 or 240 hz video modes appear on Canon DSLRs?
The best camera is the one in your hands

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #135 on: October 28, 2013, 04:45:50 PM »

Don Haines

• Posting cat pictures on the internet since 1986
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: October 28, 2013, 05:01:09 PM »

You can never get  the same quality with an APS sensor size as with a 2,6 times larger  24x36 sensor without imposing extraordinary sensor technology.
Sensor size matter
I smile when the technology arguments come out....

If Canon did manage to come out with some new and extraordinary technology they could make an APS-C with ISO and noise capacities as good as a current FF sensor... but then they would apply that same extraordinary new technology to the next round of FF sensors and we are back to FF being twice as good in poor light...

You are right.... Sensor size matters.... In poor light you can make the lens bigger (F.6 lens anyone?), you can shoot at longer exposures (everyone stay perfectly still now....) or use a bigger sensor to collect more photons... only one of the three is practical :)
The best camera is the one in your hands

greger

• Rebel T5i
  • 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: October 28, 2013, 05:19:31 PM »
I agree with Marsu42. Interesting spec list. There will be a Parade of posts and speculation until Canon makes an announcement which causes a flurry of rants about not enough specs to please the critical few who won't be buying a new camera till H freezes over or their wants are nearly met as these people are never satisfied. I hope the 7D ll is much better than the 70D which is a wonderful camera that my wife loves to use.   
Canon 7D | EFS 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM - EF 50mm f/1.8 Mark l - EF 100mm f/2.8 IS USM Macro - EF 70-200mm   f/4 L IS USM- EF 100-400    f4.5-5.6 IS USM - 1.4 ll and 2X ll Extenders

whothafunk

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: October 28, 2013, 05:20:22 PM »
"very good ISO performance" ;D reading this sentence as it is makes me giggle, roll eyes and laugh out loud. i cant take anything serious written in that manner. VERY GOOD PERFORMANCE, YIS
Canon 70D -- Canon 550D -- Canon 8-15L f4 Fisheye USM -- Canon 70-200L f2.8 IS USM II -- Canon 17-55 f2.8 IS USM

GMCPhotographics

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
    • GMCPhotographics
« Reply #139 on: October 28, 2013, 05:28:15 PM »
I own both a 7D and the 5DIII. The results of the 5DIII are generally so much better, in terms of focus accuracy, color, dynamics and ISO (in RAW). The 7D is hard pressed going above 400 ISO for bird photograpy. With the 5DIII you can take photo's at 1600 ISO without problems, or even higher depending on the circumstances.

But in many cases I need or can use the extra 1.6 crop factor. So having a marriage between the 5DIII type quality, with a APS C camera, and high speed would be great. Basically a top of the line crop camera. I assume the innovative video will be the dual pixel 70D, plus other features?

I will get this the day it gets out.

That's exactly the same results as I saw with my 7D (before I sold it recently). 400 iso or lower and slightly softer / milkier images than my 5DII / III's were producing.

Gary Irwin

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: October 28, 2013, 06:06:41 PM »
"20MP or 24MP sensor with Dual Pixel CMOS AF"

No surprise here. Personally 20 MP would do it for me.

"Auto-Focus system similar to the EOS 5D Mark III (61 points), possibly the same as 5D3"

Huh? No DX will ever have the same density of AF sensors from an FX. Who dreamed this up?

"High frame rate, 10-12 fps"

To compete with the 1Dx? not likely. 8 FPS max.

“high grade” weather sealing, like Canon’s professional DSLRs

Maybe, but it won't sell for $2K.

"Dual Digic V+ processor"
OK

"Single card slot"

In this day and age? Fail.

"WiFi & GPS"

Probably iPhone compatible too. Yawn.

"Innovative video features"

Yawn.

"Price around $2000"

In your dreams.

"Very good ISO performance"

LOL! Based on the last few releases from Canon, that doesn't say much.

I hope the 7DII is real, but these specs are basically wishful thinking.

Skirball

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: October 28, 2013, 06:21:44 PM »
Very Good ISO performance would be an upgrade for me (assuming that means at least one and possibly two stops lower noise)

That's a very optimistic interpretation of 'very good ISO performance'.  A full stop improvement would be a significant jump in technology (especially if it was a 24 MP sensor).  Two stops would be groundbreaking.  Not going to say it's impossible, but making a crop sensor with better ISO performance than the best full frame sensors would be huge, and it wouldn't be premiered on a $2000 camera.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #141 on: October 28, 2013, 06:21:44 PM »

Pi

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • Math and Photography
« Reply #142 on: October 28, 2013, 06:56:33 PM »
Very Good ISO performance would be an upgrade for me (assuming that means at least one and possibly two stops lower noise)

That's a very optimistic interpretation of 'very good ISO performance'.  A full stop improvement would be a significant jump in technology (especially if it was a 24 MP sensor).  Two stops would be groundbreaking.  Not going to say it's impossible, but making a crop sensor with better ISO performance than the best full frame sensors would be huge, and it wouldn't be premiered on a $2000 camera.

Given that the 7D has about 40% QE, a 2 stop improvement of the (photon) noise would mean 160% QE, enough to earn Canon a Nobel prize, and shake the foundations of physics.

brad-man

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: October 28, 2013, 07:28:38 PM »

Given that the 7D has about 40% QE, a 2 stop improvement of the (photon) noise would mean 160% QE, enough to earn Canon a Nobel prize, and shake the foundations of physics.

Oh crap! If Canon wins a Nobel, I shudder to think what they'll charge for stuff now!

RichM

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
    • NH Sports Photography
« Reply #144 on: October 28, 2013, 07:39:26 PM »
I own both a 7D and the 5DIII. The results of the 5DIII are generally so much better, in terms of focus accuracy, color, dynamics and ISO (in RAW). The 7D is hard pressed going above 400 ISO for bird photograpy. With the 5DIII you can take photo's at 1600 ISO without problems, or even higher depending on the circumstances.

But in many cases I need or can use the extra 1.6 crop factor. So having a marriage between the 5DIII type quality, with a APS C camera, and high speed would be great. Basically a top of the line crop camera. I assume the innovative video will be the dual pixel 70D, plus other features?

I will get this the day it gets out.

I agree.  I too own both a 7d and 5d3.  I find I now use the 5d3 in every situation except daylight sports.  I'm anxious to get the next 7d, with better AF and high ISO capabilities in a APS-C format, with IQ at least as good.  All other specs are irrelevant, and as a photographer (not videographer) I couldn't care less about video improvements.
5d3, 7d gripped,  17-40f4L, 24-105f4L, 70-200f2.8LII, 50f1.8, 300f4L, 430EX2

LetTheRightLensIn

• View Profile
« Reply #145 on: October 28, 2013, 07:40:49 PM »
"Auto-Focus system similar to the EOS 5D Mark III (61 points), possibly the same as 5D3"

Huh? No DX will ever have the same density of AF sensors from an FX. Who dreamed this up?

Why not? The AF sensors are very close to the same size across the entire line APS-C, APS-H or FF.
Don't believe me, go to cleaning mode and look and also compare the size of the mini-drop down mirror for AF and see for yourself.

"High frame rate, 10-12 fps"

To compete with the 1Dx? not likely. 8 FPS max.

Better to compete with the (old model) 1DX than to fail to compete with other brands....
And it's not like this is FF so it's not the same thing as 1DX whatever fps it has.

“high grade” weather sealing, like Canon’s professional DSLRs

Maybe, but it won't sell for $2K.

Sealing doesn't cost that much, but that said, yeah it could drop at a higher price.

"Dual Digic V+ processor"
OK

Possibly, although you'd hope for digic 6 or 7 so the video doesn't get mushed up again (assuming it is the currently crummy video processing of digic that is doing it and not marketing telling the engineers to add in a Gaussian blur step (which is possible too).

"Single card slot"
In this day and age? Fail.

Who knows. I don't care myself, although clearly some do ;).

"WiFi & GPS"
Probably iPhone compatible too. Yawn.

GPS can be a darn nice feature and some of the connectivity can be helpful too especially if you can

"Innovative video features"
Yawn.

It's a BIG market and very important IMO. Word is a great many of the huge 5D2 sales were actually do to video/film only or mostly guys and they are what made it a hit even more than the stills shooters.

"Price around $2000"
In your dreams.

Hard to say, the way Canon has been going with prices it seems doubtful, but competition is brewing so who knows.

"Very good ISO performance"
LOL! Based on the last few releases from Canon, that doesn't say much.

Hah, agree for the most part (although the 6D probably did manage 2/3rds of a stop better SNR and 1.5+ stops better DR at high ISO than the 5D2 which is a pretty decent bump, but for the most part, yeah it means we found a new way to smear in cam jpgs better).

I hope the 7DII is real, but these specs are basically wishful thinking.

They may be but that are not wishful in the crazy not going to happen sense, they seem perfectly realistically reasonable. Look at how old the 7D is and look how long this new one will need to sell, look at the competition, if it doesn't have at least these specs it'll be dead in the water! It doesn't need to sell today but 2-3 or more years from now! Anything less and they may as well not bother.

Efka76

• Canon AE-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: October 28, 2013, 08:03:49 PM »
In my opinion Canon engineers are really confused and do not know what to do with 7DII :) Look at 6D history: there were a lot of speculation and very high expectations from the market, however, Canon intentionally crippled that model in order not to canibalize 5DIII and 7D sales. 7D is long overdue and Canon is afraid that in you make 7DII as mini 1Dx (the difference would be a different sensor size) and also sensor would be based on new technology, that would also negatively affect 6D, 5DIII and 1dX sales.

In my opinion, Canon ha to many camera models. They lack Steve Jobs mind person who returned to Apple and get rid of many computer models but produced few which are very well known. It would be fully sufficient to have 3 models only: 1Dx - for real professional photographers, 5DIII  - wedding photographers camera and 7DII - crop sized 1Dx. Get rid of rebels and p&s crap (p&s market will be dead in few years). Canon should put more efforts on mirrorless cameras' line (currently they are significantly behind competitors).

Also, market is waiting from Canon significant developments in sensors. Canon already milked that "old sensor" cow for too many years, they earn sufficient profit which could be wisely spend on R&D. It is a pity, however, I see a former leader in technology, which is doing quite well due to big variety of lenses, however, future outlook is not promising..... mirrorless market is already lost to Fuji, Olympus and Sony, Sigma & Tamron significantly increased lens quality (but they charge significantly less than Canon).
Gripped EOS 7D | EF 50 1.4 USM | EF 70-200 2.8L IS II USM | EF 100 2.8L IS USM | Tamron SP 24-70 2.8 | EF-S 18-135 mm | 580 EXII | ThinkTank Retrospective 30

WPJ

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: October 28, 2013, 08:31:26 PM »
I remember someone saying change the card slot to SD....the worse idea I've head this thread, cf all the way I want my buffer clear asap....

also usb3 or better yet gig Ethernet jack to get my files off.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #147 on: October 28, 2013, 08:31:26 PM »

surapon

• 80% BY HEART, 15% BY LENSES AND ONLY 5% BY CAMERA
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: October 28, 2013, 08:35:06 PM »
Yeah, I don't know... why would they create something that would be equal to or better than the 5D mark iii and/or 1DX and price it lower than those 2?

Defeats the purpose...

+1 for me too, Dear Mkabi
The Japanese MFG. are the Smart Companies  in the Word, And They will not "  why would they create something that would be equal to or better than the 5D mark iii and/or 1DX and price it lower than those 2?.
Yes I am agree wit you 250%.
Thanks
Surapon

Pi

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • Math and Photography
« Reply #149 on: October 28, 2013, 08:38:09 PM »
Yeah, I don't know... why would they create something that would be equal to or better than the 5D mark iii and/or 1DX and price it lower than those 2?

Defeats the purpose...

+1 for me too, Dear Mkabi
The Japanese MFG. are the Smart Companies  in the Word, And They will not "  why would they create something that would be equal to or better than the 5D mark iii and/or 1DX and price it lower than those 2?.
Yes I am agree wit you 250%.
Thanks
Surapon

Here is another thought: because the cannot? And because nobody can?

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #149 on: October 28, 2013, 08:38:09 PM »