April 17, 2014, 03:56:58 PM

Author Topic: EOS 7D Mark II Spec List Surfaces [CR1]  (Read 28813 times)

Don Haines

• 1D X
  • Posting cat pictures on the internet since 1986
    • View Profile
Re: EOS 7D Mark II Spec List Surfaces [CR1]
« Reply #165 on: October 29, 2013, 10:48:41 AM »
I remember someone saying change the card slot to SD....the worse idea I've head this thread, cf all the way I want my buffer clear asap....

also usb3 or better yet gig Ethernet jack to get my files off.

I can't see GigE connectivity on a camera.... consumers like wireless... the throughput of wireless is laughable compared to GigE, but wireless is more convenient... so the poorer solution wins... USB3 has to come soon, at some point people will stop making chipsets that only go up to USB2... USB will win out over Ethernet because all you have to do is plug it in.... no configuration required, and a lot of people use laptops and tablets with no wired Ethernet connection... USB is a more universal solution than wired Ethernet.

I can't speak from experience, as I haven't made the leap yet, but I understand 802.11ac is actually starting to approach the real-world throughput of gigE. While I doubt they'd put an ac antenna array in the 7d2 for space and power reasons, they COULD get the throughput if they wanted.

Also, given that Apple's target market for laptops correlates pretty strongly with pro and prosumer camera buyers, I think a thunderbolt / USB3 combo would be awesome- USB3 for PC users, TB for mac...
This is a bit of a simplistic explanation, but here goes....

There are two basic types of network traffic, on type is where you set up "a pipe" and the data automatically streams down the pipe from one device to the other, the other type of data flow is a send/acknowledge data flow.... something like "here's a bit of data", answered by "I got it.... send me another"... and so on.. Most network traffic tends to be send/acknowledge and it takes time for the requests and acknoledgements to fly back and forth so the flow of data is slow.

When you connect with wire, data can flow both ways at once and this greatly speeds up the send/acknowledge protocols. On a wireless link you can only go one direction at a time and it takes time to turn the link around... plus you can have interference on wireless which causes re-transmissions and further slows things down. Processing of the data is faster on wire than wireless so there is less delay there too.

All this adds up...

In the end, you find out that it takes almost the same amount of time on a wireless link to move 20 bytes of data as it takes to move 1400 bytes of data so if you want any decent kind of throughput you need to be moving huge blocks of data in one direction and small amounts the other way..

Marketing people have a different perspective.... they compare the most favourable conditions of a wireless link to the least favourable conditions on a wired link... and that's how they come up with claims to be "almost as fast"

As a photographer, I suggest you do your own test... transfer a bunch of photos from a laptop to a computer over a wireless link, and then repeat the process over a wire link... send some tiny Jpgs and then try some RAW files and see the difference it makes to you on your gear...
The best camera is the one in your hands

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #165 on: October 29, 2013, 10:48:41 AM »

Sabaki

• Canon AE-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: October 29, 2013, 01:36:25 PM »
So I shoot a 500D and I have an issue I don't see mentioned much in the "I want..." lists but I do know it's widely acknowledged.

Reproduction of reds and yellows.

Any chance that Canon could solve this issue?
Canon 500D | 100mmL f/2.8 IS Macro | 24-70mmL f/2.8 mk II | 70-200mmL f/4.0 | 400mmL f/5.6 | 50mm f/1.8 | EF-S 10-22mm | Canon 600 RT |

9VIII

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: October 29, 2013, 02:15:14 PM »
So I shoot a 500D and I have an issue I don't see mentioned much in the "I want..." lists but I do know it's widely acknowledged.

Reproduction of reds and yellows.

Any chance that Canon could solve this issue?

Your camera should have a "white balance shift" option in the menu somewhere, you can permanently change the colour balance there. I've read that adjusting this somewhat fixes the issue.
Both my T3 and 5D2 have it, so it's probably on all the other models too.

Sabaki

• Canon AE-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: October 29, 2013, 02:22:39 PM »
Thanks 9VIII

For the record, what's the science as to why Canon's don't do reds as well as the other colours? Shouldn't it be something Canon correctly calibrates instead of us trying to?
Canon 500D | 100mmL f/2.8 IS Macro | 24-70mmL f/2.8 mk II | 70-200mmL f/4.0 | 400mmL f/5.6 | 50mm f/1.8 | EF-S 10-22mm | Canon 600 RT |

privatebydesign

• 1D X
  • Ermintrude says "moo"
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: October 29, 2013, 02:42:35 PM »
Thanks 9VIII

For the record, what's the science as to why Canon's don't do reds as well as the other colours? Shouldn't it be something Canon correctly calibrates instead of us trying to?

It depends entirely on what algorithm you use to interpret the RAW data, just look at the difference between the same RAW file in DPP set to Portrait against Lightroom set to Adobe Standard, it is not that Canon reds are bad, it is that we don't take the time and trouble to use a profile that is accurate. For the record Adobe's Adobe Standard is very bad in interpreting the red channel on Canon RAW files, their picture mode emulations are MUCH better.
Is Christmas really coming? I suppose it is..............

Marsu42

• 1D X
  • ML-66d / 100L / 70-300L / 17-40L / 600rts
    • View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #170 on: October 29, 2013, 03:17:23 PM »
For the record Adobe's Adobe Standard is very bad in interpreting the red channel on Canon RAW files, their picture mode emulations are MUCH better.

Because I hated the *yellow* cast of "Adobe Standard" I have switched to "Camera Neutral" which looks dull at first but seems to give the best results after a lot of adjustments - it's a shame the most important setting in Lightroom is at the very bottom :-\ ... I have to check about it also being better in saturated red gradients because this is one of the problems I know of esp. with crop files from my 60d.

9VIII

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: October 29, 2013, 03:18:47 PM »
Many people actually like the over saturated reds that Canon produces by default. It seems to make people look better, vs. the green hue you may get with other brands.
Really it all seems very situational though. In the 70D vs. D7100 epic shootout (http://www.youtube.com/user/MichaelTheMentor/videos?view=0&flow=grid) by MichaelTheMentor, he spends a fair amount of time going over the colour differences between the two. When I took the comparison test I tried to select the Canon throughout, and got it wrong more often than not.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #171 on: October 29, 2013, 03:18:47 PM »

privatebydesign

• 1D X
  • Ermintrude says "moo"
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: October 29, 2013, 03:22:54 PM »
For the record Adobe's Adobe Standard is very bad in interpreting the red channel on Canon RAW files, their picture mode emulations are MUCH better.

Because I hated the *yellow* cast of "Adobe Standard" I have switched to "Camera Neutral" which looks dull at first but seems to give the best results after a lot of adjustments - it's a shame the most important setting in Lightroom is at the very bottom :-\ ... I have to check about it also being better in saturated red gradients because this is one of the problems I know of esp. with crop files from my 60d.

If you are using Lightroom set it as your import preset, then you never have to remember it again.
Is Christmas really coming? I suppose it is..............

renegade54

• PowerShot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: October 29, 2013, 04:09:17 PM »
I am not a physicist, nor do I pretend to comprehend most of what some you fine folks say in that and other highly technologically advanced areas with respect to cameras.  Those of you that debate these matters truly amaze me.  Truly impressive depth of knowledge here, and I mean that sincerely.

That said, as a consumer of Canon products and basically an amateur enthusiast who just wants to get better and better at photography so I can take great photos in virtually all conditions, I cannot fathom why Canon would make a product such as the 7d2 "better" than the 1DX.  I am not taking about "better value" mind you, I mean to say "better" period.  To my logic, if Canon could do that, they would be doing it and THAT would be their flagship Professional camera body.  But there are many people that I have heard / read both here and elsewhere who not only claim that the 7d2 is going to be the APS-C version of a 1DX producing similar images to the 5d3 but that it will cost $4,000 - $5,000 LESS than a 1DX and $1500 less than a 5d3.

Why on earth would Canon do this?  The 7d2 will probably be a great camera (it better be) but if buying one eliminates the need for Pro level photographers and enthusiasts to have to buy any FF camera whatsoever then Canon would be committing business suicide.  I can list a few reasons as to why they might do this, but NONE of them make logical sense from a business perspective. 

I think the 7d2 will be an awesome camera, and it will probably be the perfect marriage to pro shooters or advanced enthusiasts currently using one of the 5 series or 1 series FF bodies.  But "replace" those FF cameras it will not.

WPJ

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: October 29, 2013, 04:24:48 PM »
Renegade54, but the 1dx is what 2 years old, 3 by the time this will come out it should be better in all regards or at least the same as the 1dx minus full frame, otherwise they have no reason to replace the 1dx

Marsu42

• 1D X
  • ML-66d / 100L / 70-300L / 17-40L / 600rts
    • View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #175 on: October 29, 2013, 04:36:51 PM »
If you are using Lightroom set it as your import preset, then you never have to remember it again.

Thanks, I already did that - unfortunately I learned about the disadvantages of Adobe Standard too late so I had to re-process heaps of old pictures, that's why I often suggest learning about switching the calibration to others :-o ... I still use Adobe standard for bracketing and focus stacking though since this is the calibration that "throws away" the least amount of raw data.

Skirball

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: October 29, 2013, 04:47:28 PM »
That said, as a consumer of Canon products and basically an amateur enthusiast who just wants to get better and better at photography so I can take great photos in virtually all conditions, I cannot fathom why Canon would make a product such as the 7d2 "better" than the 1DX.

They wouldn’t.  Even if Canon has some technological breakthrough that allowed them to create a crop sensor that had better performance than the best FF sensors they make, they would put all the bells and whistles on it, put it in a “pro body”, and sell it for more than the 1Dx, because they can.  There’s not a business man alive that wouldn’t know to milk a tech advance like that.  And while they’re pulling in the sales from that they can create a megapixel monster for a FF camera with the same pixel density, and then a FF sensor using the same technology but normal density that would allow even greater high ISO performance.  And they can wait a good several years before letting that technology trickle down to the consumer levels.

renegade54

• PowerShot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: October 29, 2013, 04:50:24 PM »
Renegade54, but the 1dx is what 2 years old, 3 by the time this will come out it should be better in all regards or at least the same as the 1dx minus full frame, otherwise they have no reason to replace the 1dx

That's just it....I disagree with the premise that the 7d line is in direct competition with the 1D line.  If the 7d2 is going to be "better" than the 1DX then why would a pro have a need for the 1DX2, or the next iteration of the 1DX?  They would just use the 7d2 and wait for the 7d3.  That's not to say the 7d2 is not going to be a great camera, but it will have it's niche...and all it has to be is the best in it's niche...not better than a FF 1DX.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #177 on: October 29, 2013, 04:50:24 PM »

renegade54

• PowerShot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: October 29, 2013, 04:51:18 PM »
That said, as a consumer of Canon products and basically an amateur enthusiast who just wants to get better and better at photography so I can take great photos in virtually all conditions, I cannot fathom why Canon would make a product such as the 7d2 "better" than the 1DX.

They wouldn’t.  Even if Canon has some technological breakthrough that allowed them to create a crop sensor that had better performance than the best FF sensors they make, they would put all the bells and whistles on it, put it in a “pro body”, and sell it for more than the 1Dx, because they can.  There’s not a business man alive that wouldn’t know to milk a tech advance like that.  And while they’re pulling in the sales from that they can create a megapixel monster for a FF camera with the same pixel density, and then a FF sensor using the same technology but normal density that would allow even greater high ISO performance.  And they can wait a good several years before letting that technology trickle down to the consumer levels.

I agree 100%.  Well said.

Dirtysoap

• PowerShot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: October 29, 2013, 04:55:16 PM »
looking somewhat forward to a 7d2 but.. its crop and i went from crop to ff and the quality is amazing compared to crop. i cant see me going back even if its lighter and 1.6x. ff just to good

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #179 on: October 29, 2013, 04:55:16 PM »