September 02, 2014, 12:54:10 PM

Author Topic: Autodesk Smoke  (Read 680 times)

Kolumbus

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
Autodesk Smoke
« on: October 27, 2013, 03:59:00 PM »
I've seen a lot of talk about DaVinci Resolve Lite being a free-of-charge high quality colour correction software with some capabilities for general video editing.

I was wondering how it compares to Autodesk Smoke which is also free for those in education (http://students.autodesk.com/?nd=download_center)? For instance Smoke offers a noise reduction tool, which is not included in the Lite version of DaVinci.

Are there any significant reasons not to go for Smoke?

(I'm mostly interested in cutting short sequences -- with good colour correction / sharpening / noise control being the most important aspects.)

canon rumors FORUM

Autodesk Smoke
« on: October 27, 2013, 03:59:00 PM »

smokesensei

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
Re: Autodesk Smoke
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2013, 01:58:54 AM »
Smoke and Resolve are in fact two very different programs. While i don't know Resolve very well and haven't used its editorial features, I do know Smoke very well and it is my main tool.

Smoke is a fully fledged post production tool with advanced visual effects / finishing capabilities. It has not just editorial features, but color correction, roto, masking, special effects filters, keying, and an advanced node-based compositing toolset.

Resolve is primarily a color correction tool... an advanced one though, and it probably does a better job with color correction than Smoke does, even though Smoke's color tools are nice... but Resolve probably shines better when color correcting. I have heard of people having two different login environments, one for Smoke and another for Resolve. They conform and color correct in Resolve, then bring that timeline into Smoke to finish.

Autodesk has an excellent academic program, and as you have stated, their software for education is free, after a relatively painless registration process. It woudn't hurt to try it out. You could also check into their other software, since you'll already be registered.

Good Luck!
Mike
www.smoketutorials.com

Kolumbus

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2013, 05:25:02 AM »
Dear Mike,

many thanks for the helpful explanation.

I hadn't heard about Smoke (I guess that's really just me) and I was wondering what people in the community think about it.

Cheers,
Max

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2013, 05:25:02 AM »