September 30, 2014, 07:10:51 AM

Author Topic: How Do You Get Shutter to Fire on EOS M with Rokinon 8mm Manual Lens?  (Read 3036 times)

rocksubculture

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
I feel like I'm missing something really obvious...  I purchased one of those Rokinon 8mm lenses and have put on my EOS M with the Canon adapter for standard EF-S lenses...

I've tried a few different modes, but the shutter won't fire.  I have set to infinity in Manual mode, and it shows a "00" aperture and won't let me manually change it.

Appreciate any help on this...

Thanks,

Jason

canon rumors FORUM

Haydn1971

• 7D
    • View Profile
Re: How Do You Get Shutter to Fire on EOS M with Rokinon 8mm Manual Lens?
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2013, 07:13:20 PM »
There's a function buried in the camera that allows the camera to fire without a lens fitted - select this and the camera will work with manual lens
Regards, Haydn

:: View my photostream on Flickr, Canon EOS 6D, EOS M ,  16-35mm II, 24-70mm II, 70-300mm L, 135mm f2.0 L, 22mm f2.0, Lensbaby, EOS M adaptor, Cosina CT1G film SLR & 50mm f2.0 lens

paul13walnut5

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2013, 06:09:17 AM »
+1.

Your Rokinon has a mechanical iris ring around it. You change the aperture with that.

Sorry man, a bit of research before you bought would have re-assured you that you were buying the right thing.
It will work, but its a different way of working than you may be used to.

elkatro

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
    • dimatasaya.com
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2013, 06:30:50 AM »
I don't have it with me at the moment, but there is this setting, "Release shutter without lens", if I'm not mistaken.
I have samyang 14mm, and experienced the same confusion  ;D
6D | EOS M | Samyang 14mm f/2.8 | EF-M 22mm f/2.0 | EF 50mm f/1.8 | EF 24-105 f/4 L
www.dimatasaya.com

mb66energy

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2013, 06:54:07 AM »
I think it is the same like old Canon FD lenses with a non electric FD -> EOS M adapter:

From Enyoyyourcamera / the Quenox adapter I use:
für Canon EOS Meos-m eosm ef-m ef m
Aktivieren Sie unter Individualfunktionen/C.Fn. IV: Operation/Weiteres die Funktion "Auslösen ohne Objektiv", damit die Kamera auslöst.

For Canon EOS:
Activate custom functions C.Fn. IV: Operation -> "Shutter release without lens" or similar.

My observation:
In manual mode: Exposure Simulation doesn't work properly - the display view during liveview is much darker compared to the stored image.
Use Av mode and the hold function ( * ) on the multicontroler to control exposure - here the exposure simulation is correct.

Best - Michael
TOOLS: EF-S 10-22 | 60 || EF 2.8/24 | 2.8/40* | 2.8 100 Macro* |2.0/100 | 4.0/70-200* | 5.6/400* || 2 x 40D | 600D | EOS M  [* most used lenses]

wickidwombat

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2013, 09:04:52 AM »
I think it is the same like old Canon FD lenses with a non electric FD -> EOS M adapter:

Aktivieren Sie unter Individualfunktionen/C.Fn. IV: Operation/Weiteres die Funktion "Auslösen ohne Objektiv", damit die Kamera auslöst.

For Canon EOS:
Activate custom functions C.Fn. IV: Operation -> "Shutter release without lens" or similar.

My observation:
In manual mode: Exposure Simulation doesn't work properly - the display view during liveview is much darker compared to the stored image.
Use Av mode and the hold function ( * ) on the multicontroler to control exposure - here the exposure simulation is correct.

Best - Michael

This is how you do it but i installed an AF confirm chip on my lens so it reports exif and lens data metering all seems good too and no different to any other canon camera i have. once the AF chip is on you don't need to turn on that setting
APS-H Fanboy

mb66energy

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2013, 03:23:04 PM »

For Canon EOS:

My observation:

Best - Michael

This is how you do it but i installed an AF confirm chip on my lens so it reports exif and lens data metering all seems good too and no different to any other canon camera i have. once the AF chip is on you don't need to turn on that setting

Please, can you give me a hint how you use e.g. a FD 1.4 50mm S.S.C. on a EOS M with a AF chip? Or do you have a special FD -> EF-M Adapter?

Thanks - Michael
TOOLS: EF-S 10-22 | 60 || EF 2.8/24 | 2.8/40* | 2.8 100 Macro* |2.0/100 | 4.0/70-200* | 5.6/400* || 2 x 40D | 600D | EOS M  [* most used lenses]

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2013, 03:23:04 PM »

wickidwombat

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2013, 05:37:06 AM »

For Canon EOS:

My observation:

Best - Michael

Please, can you give me a hint how you use e.g. a FD 1.4 50mm S.S.C. on a EOS M with a AF chip? Or do you have a special FD -> EF-M Adapter?

Thanks - Michael
I have an edmika Fd to EF adapter i use on my 600 f4.5 FD he is on this forum send him a pm he does mounts for the 50 1.4 Fd too the beauty is you can use it on your other cameras not just the m but you will need the EF-m to EF adapter to use. his adapters come with chips
APS-H Fanboy

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2013, 05:37:06 AM »