December 20, 2014, 05:39:32 AM

Author Topic: This momma is looking to buy a camera ?  (Read 18754 times)

Ruined

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
Re: This momma is looking to buy a camera ?
« Reply #105 on: October 30, 2013, 11:54:40 AM »
So the 18-135 should be fine for the time being .. I can take head shots and zoom a little ? Maybe ill ask for the 28mm for my bday (in may )

Yes, the 18-135mm STM (make sure you get STM) covers all the regular focal lengths, great for groups and even landscapes - but also great for portraits.  It is truly a do-all lens and you can use it for some time.  Is it the best lens in the world?  No, because it is a somewhat slow lens with speeds f/3.5-f/5.6, generally for best indoors quality f/2.8 or lower + IS is the key for outstanding pictures.  If you use flash, though, you can overcome the speed issue.  The 430EXII is a great starter flash to use, as it is much more powerful than the onboard popup flash and allows you to bounce flash off walls unlike the popup flash.  Anyway- the 18-135mm will cover most of your needs just fine.

Beyond the 18-135mm STM, these are some of the lenses I'd personally recommend considering for the future.  Obviously not all of them as they are expensive, but they are the standout lenses for the camera you are buying.
1) Canon EF-S 55-250 STM for telephoto work
2) Canon EF 28mm f/2.8 IS USM for a compact "normal" lens for indoors and general use, really feels the most natural focal length with this camera
3) Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM for an ultra high quality standard/portrait zoom (large, expensive)
4) Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-5.6 USM for ultra-wide landscapes
5) Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L IS USM Macro if you ever get interested in macro closeup photography (large, very expensive)
6) Don't forget a high quality flash - 600RT-EX if you have the money, if not 430EXII will be a great starter flash.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2013, 12:00:06 PM by Ruined »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #105 on: October 30, 2013, 11:54:40 AM »

Zv

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Zeeography (flickr)
« Reply #106 on: October 30, 2013, 02:09:33 PM »
Forget the 40mm or any prime lens just now. If you get to the stage where you find a need for an additional lens - that's when you buy it.

You wouldn't buy daipers if you didn't have any babies would ya? Once the little guys start poopin that's probably when you're gonna want them!

Same with photography I believe. Too many folk buy stuff they don't fully understand. Once you have mastered the kit lens (which is tricky!) only then ask yourself - right, what am I missing out on? What can this lens NOT do! You'll find the answer is not very much if you try hard enough.

Think of the kit lens as your learner plates. You take them off once you pass. To pass you need to be familiar with the M mode dial on the camera like it's your best buddy. You need to dream about ISO numbers and have nightmares about contrast ratios. And then come on here and post about dynamic range and lack therof.

OK I went too far. It's late and am cranky!
6D | 17-40L | 24-105L | 70-200 f4L IS | 135L | SY 14 2.8 | Sigma 50 1.4

EOS M | 11-22 IS STM | 22 STM | FD 50 1.4

Lesuediane

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: October 30, 2013, 02:30:17 PM »
Forget the 40mm or any prime lens just now. If you get to the stage where you find a need for an additional lens - that's when you buy it.

You wouldn't buy daipers if you didn't have any babies would ya? Once the little guys start poopin that's probably when you're gonna want them!

Same with photography I believe. Too many folk buy stuff they don't fully understand. Once you have mastered the kit lens (which is tricky!) only then ask yourself - right, what am I missing out on? What can this lens NOT do! You'll find the answer is not very much if you try hard enough.

Think of the kit lens as your learner plates. You take them off once you pass. To pass you need to be familiar with the M mode dial on the camera like it's your best buddy. You need to dream about ISO numbers and have nightmares about contrast ratios. And then come on here and post about dynamic range and lack therof.

OK I went too far. It's late and am cranky!

Great advice ! Thank u

KyleSTL

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: October 31, 2013, 11:26:40 AM »
I totally agree with Zv about starting off with just the 18-135 STM and becoming accustomed to using it and master it's operation.  At that point you'll know what your missing (lens too slow, need more telephoto, need wider angles, need macro lens, need more light).  At that point use Ruined's list as a guide for your next purchase.  None of us will know your style, shooting habits and therefore needs, so it would be a disservice to recommend another lens without knowing whether it is necessary for your needs.
Canon EOS 5D | Tamron 19-35mm f/3.5-4.5 | 24-105mm f/4L IS USM | 28-105mm f/3.5-4.5 USM | 70-300mm f4-5.6 IS USM
15mm f/2.8 Fisheye | 28mm f/1.8 USM | 50mm f/1.4 USM | 85mm f/1.8 USM | 3x 420EX | ST-E2 | Canon S90 | SD600 w/ WP-DC4

kphoto99

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: November 02, 2013, 08:30:26 PM »
I have the T4i and the 18-135mm STM lens, so I can say that it will server you well.
In case you don't know this, everytime you take a picture, the camera records lots of information about the setings inside of the picture file, it is called EXIF data. So after a while look at the pictures you like and see at what focal length your lens was when the pictures were taken. This should give you an idea what focal length you new lens should be.

For indoor photography many people have recommended that you get an external flash. I would recommend the Yongnuo YN568EX, it works very well with the T4i and older (does not work with EOS-M). You can get it for about $170 from the Yongnuo eBay store.

Lesuediane

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: November 02, 2013, 10:50:20 PM »
Well after much consideration I ordered a factory refurbished t4i with 18-135 STM lens .. Im excited to began my photography journey .. I will keep everyone posted . Thank you for all your help. Truly !!

jebrady03

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: November 02, 2013, 11:16:56 PM »
Well after much consideration I ordered a factory refurbished t4i with 18-135 STM lens .. Im excited to began my photography journey .. I will keep everyone posted . Thank you for all your help. Truly !!

Congrats! Enjoy it!

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #111 on: November 02, 2013, 11:16:56 PM »

Zv

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Zeeography (flickr)
« Reply #112 on: November 03, 2013, 01:00:48 AM »

A marvelous choice, well done! It'll serve you well! Enjoy!
6D | 17-40L | 24-105L | 70-200 f4L IS | 135L | SY 14 2.8 | Sigma 50 1.4

EOS M | 11-22 IS STM | 22 STM | FD 50 1.4

drob

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: November 03, 2013, 01:39:15 AM »
Congrats on your purchase. It's hard to read all the previous advice but I've been where you are...new parent. Bought the 60D with 18-135mm kit lens a few years ago. It was a good start but I wanted the ability to shoot indoors without a flash and the ability to blur the background.  Nearly impossible with the kit. I highly recommend the Canon 50mm 1.8 (around $100) or, if you can spend a little more money, the Sigma 30mm 1.4 (older version) will give you the ability to shoot in low light and blur the backgrounds. After all, I'm sure the images you envision involve the nice blurred background (bokeh) with child popping out. At least I did. I shoot with the prime lens about 90% of the time and learned to move my feet fast for the zooming. I use the kit lens as a travel lens...zoo trips, vacation, etc....Also, the 60D is horrible for videos. Finally, just resorted to my iphone for videos.  It's good video quality and easy to share. Pulling huge video files from your DSLR and editing them is difficult and time consuming. I also resorted to camcorder for school concerts/plays, etc....good luck.

Also don't be intimated by the manual mode. You don't need to use it starting off. Av is fine, let's you control  the aperture and the camera does the rest. 1st pic is outdoor with my 50mm f/2.8, ISO 100, 1/500sec.  2nd pic is indoors with my Sigma 30mm f/2.0, ISO 1000, 1/40sec (2nd file is low quality version). Both in Av mode with my Canon 60D.

Also, I never use a flash, never thought I might need one.  Place your child near a window.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2013, 02:45:15 AM by drob »
Canon 60D, 24-105mm F4, Canon 50mm 1.4, 60mm 2.8, 85mm 1.8, Sigma 30mm 1.4, Samyang 16mm 2.0.

bholliman

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: November 03, 2013, 05:49:20 AM »

Congratulations!  I think you will really enjoy this camera/lens combo.  Post some shots taken with your new gear when you have time.  We'd love to see them.
Bodies:  6D, EOS-M
EF Lenses: 35mm f/2.0 IS, 100mm f/2.8L IS Macro, 135mm f/2.0L, 16-35mm f/4L IS, 24-70mm f/2.8L II, 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II; EF-M Lenses: 22 f/2, 18-55
Speedlites: ST-E3-RT, 600EX-RT (x3)

Lesuediane

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: November 03, 2013, 07:43:33 AM »
Congrats on your purchase. It's hard to read all the previous advice but I've been where you are...new parent. Bought the 60D with 18-135mm kit lens a few years ago. It was a good start but I wanted the ability to shoot indoors without a flash and the ability to blur the background.  Nearly impossible with the kit. I highly recommend the Canon 50mm 1.8 (around $100) or, if you can spend a little more money, the Sigma 30mm 1.4 (older version) will give you the ability to shoot in low light and blur the backgrounds. After all, I'm sure the images you envision involve the nice blurred background (bokeh) with child popping out. At least I did. I shoot with the prime lens about 90% of the time and learned to move my feet fast for the zooming. I use the kit lens as a travel lens...zoo trips, vacation, etc....Also, the 60D is horrible for videos. Finally, just resorted to my iphone for videos.  It's good video quality and easy to share. Pulling huge video files from your DSLR and editing them is difficult and time consuming. I also resorted to camcorder for school concerts/plays, etc....good luck.

Also don't be intimated by the manual mode. You don't need to use it starting off. Av is fine, let's you control  the aperture and the camera does the rest. 1st pic is outdoor with my 50mm f/2.8, ISO 100, 1/500sec.  2nd pic is indoors with my Sigma 30mm f/2.0, ISO 1000, 1/40sec (2nd file is low quality version). Both in Av mode with my Canon 60D.

Also, I never use a flash, never thought I might need one.  Place your child near a window.

So you would suggest the 50mm over the 40mm ?  I almost ordered the 50mm when I ordered the camera , talked myself out of it .

ajfotofilmagem

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: November 03, 2013, 08:29:33 AM »
The Canon 50mm F1.8 lens is already outdated and it is also very fragile, but it can be a "toy" fun. The canon 40mm F2.8 produces high quality images and is much more durable. However, it is prudent to get used to 18-135 STM and see what view angle you need more. Remember that both 40mm and 50mm cited has no image stabilizer, not correct shake the hands of the photographer. Rumored to be launching a 50mm image-stabilized soon. If you do not want to wait, then canon 50mm F1.4 has better performance in low light. Even so, buy the lens hood to protect the 50mm F1.4 and never remove it from your lens.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2013, 08:32:01 AM by ajfotofilmagem »

drob

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: November 03, 2013, 08:42:05 AM »
Honestly don't have experience with the 40mm f2/8.  However, if you were going to experiment with video the 40mm 2.8 would be a better lens since it has the STM motor on it. I also read it has a better build quality to it. The 50mm 1.8 is plastic, feels cheap, and has a loud autofocus (still a great lens for 100 dollars even with the draw backs).  Either way, the image quality will far exceed the 18-135mm.  Don't get me wrong, the kit lens will amaze you coming from your cell phone camera, but when I upgraded to a DSLR I wanted to have a little more creative freedom than the kit lens offered. 

Here are a few good websites to learn about your new craft:
  http://www.merakoh.com/
http://digital-photography-school.com/
http://www.elizabethhalford.com/

Image attached is with the 50mm f/1.8. I did sell this lens and upgrade to the 50mm 1.4, but the 1.8 is a great learning lens where you don't have to invest a lot. There is a rumor Canon is coming out with an IS version but I'm sure the price will be high. Camera shake is a concern with non-IS lens, but again, that is where you learn the craft.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2013, 09:12:53 AM by drob »
Canon 60D, 24-105mm F4, Canon 50mm 1.4, 60mm 2.8, 85mm 1.8, Sigma 30mm 1.4, Samyang 16mm 2.0.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #117 on: November 03, 2013, 08:42:05 AM »

msm

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: November 03, 2013, 09:45:34 AM »

So you would suggest the 50mm over the 40mm ?  I almost ordered the 50mm when I ordered the camera , talked myself out of it .

I would avoid the 50mm f1.8 as it has very inaccurate focusing (at least mine does), so I would instead consider the f1.4. The 40mm is sharp and has accurate AF, if you can live with the narrower aperture.

drob

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: November 03, 2013, 07:37:35 PM »
The 50mm 1.8 gets good reviews on amazon, B&h, Adorama, etc...yes it is an older lens and there are probably inaccurate copies out there but generally it's a good lens for starting. If you buy new from one of those sites, you'd have no problem exchanging it for a different lens if it were a bad copy. Sure the 50mm 1.4 is better but cost 3x as much.

If you look around at other child photographers and their work, many are shooting with prime lenses and/or 24-70mm f2.8  or 70-200 f2.8 lens.  You'd be hard pressed to find any photographer taking pics of children with a kit lens.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #119 on: November 03, 2013, 07:37:35 PM »