August 31, 2014, 06:43:07 AM

Author Topic: 6D + 24-105L for $1,999 (at least for a short time)  (Read 1516 times)

AE1Pguy

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
6D + 24-105L for $1,999 (at least for a short time)
« on: October 29, 2013, 11:01:29 PM »
A couple of weeks ago, I rented a 6D and a 24-105L from lensrentals.com, to see if it would be a good upgrade from my ancient 40D. The Sigma DP2 Merrill I rented at the same time had a lot more bight and resolution, but the 6D handled much better, so I decided to buy one of each.

Last Monday or Tuesday, I found a seller on eBay pitching a 6D/24-105L deal for $1999, supposedly brand new. He had lots of positive feedback, but I was still suspicious. Against my better judgment, I went for it. A couple of days later, after I had paid, but before my camera shipped, the price on that same ad suddenly jumped to $3000. I figured that was the first indication I'd been scammed.

The package finally arrived today. Everything looked fine. US warranty card and everything. I got that new $1.99 ShutterCount app, and sure enough verified zero shutter activations. I'm shocked. I really got a new 6D and 24-105 for (a tiny hair) under $2000.

I don't think I'd be nearly as happy spending $3000, but perhaps he'll sell more at the original price. Here's the link to the seller:

http://www.ebay.com/usr/beststopdeals

canon rumors FORUM

6D + 24-105L for $1,999 (at least for a short time)
« on: October 29, 2013, 11:01:29 PM »

CarlTN

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
Re: 6D + 24-105L for $1,999 (at least for a short time)
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2013, 04:43:48 PM »
A couple of weeks ago, I rented a 6D and a 24-105L from lensrentals.com, to see if it would be a good upgrade from my ancient 40D. The Sigma DP2 Merrill I rented at the same time had a lot more bight and resolution, but the 6D handled much better, so I decided to buy one of each.

Last Monday or Tuesday, I found a seller on eBay pitching a 6D/24-105L deal for $1999, supposedly brand new. He had lots of positive feedback, but I was still suspicious. Against my better judgment, I went for it. A couple of days later, after I had paid, but before my camera shipped, the price on that same ad suddenly jumped to $3000. I figured that was the first indication I'd been scammed.

The package finally arrived today. Everything looked fine. US warranty card and everything. I got that new $1.99 ShutterCount app, and sure enough verified zero shutter activations. I'm shocked. I really got a new 6D and 24-105 for (a tiny hair) under $2000.

I don't think I'd be nearly as happy spending $3000, but perhaps he'll sell more at the original price. Here's the link to the seller:

Very interesting, congrats on the deal.  You seen any good deals on the DP Merrill series?  Their prices don't seem to have fallen much. 

AE1Pguy

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2013, 12:59:39 AM »

Very interesting, congrats on the deal.  You seen any good deals on the DP Merrill series?  Their prices don't seem to have fallen much.

No, I actually got mine used, from a guy in Korea. I saw some good prices during the summer, but nothing recently. There is some speculation that Sigma may be readying a new SLR, because prices on those have fallen in the last week or so (though not in the US). But the DP series are holding steady. Pity, because now I really want a DP3 too.

CarlTN

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2013, 02:10:03 AM »

No, I actually got mine used, from a guy in Korea. I saw some good prices during the summer, but nothing recently. There is some speculation that Sigma may be readying a new SLR, because prices on those have fallen in the last week or so (though not in the US). But the DP series are holding steady. Pity, because now I really want a DP3 too.

Sorry for my slow response!  Yes, a pity on the DP series...I know they write files extremely slowly...so that along with the high price and fixed aperture, have put me off buying one.  I'll never forget my experience with the older DP2.  I think the best thing to come out of it, are some nice metallic prints I did recently of some of my landscape shots with that camera.  They scaled large extremely well.  Oddly enough, I had coupled an old Fuji wide conversion lens to it (with both step up and step down rings to get the right placement), and it worked pretty well.  Would have been better to just use a DP1, but then I couldn't have gotten some of the other nice shots at the DP2's focal length.  It's a real shame that they didn't make these an interchangeable lens camera.  Quirky though the color was, I will never forget it...especially at ISO 50, where the color saturation, palette, and resolution...in my opinion, rivaled the D700.

racewithoneself

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2013, 12:23:07 PM »

I just bought the last 6D deal from this dealer on eBay and got super concered. Your story makes feel much better now. I will just wait for the new camera to come in. ;D

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2013, 12:23:07 PM »