August 28, 2014, 09:28:35 AM

Author Topic: EOS 5D Mark III Firmware 1.2.3 Available  (Read 12118 times)

Camerajah

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
Re: EOS 5D Mark III Firmware 1.2.3 Available
« Reply #30 on: October 30, 2013, 11:16:37 AM »
Well I can report that the pixel vertax grip works fine after 123,update was done without grip,and people this is 1.2.3 update not a 2.0 so don't expect too much
Canon bodies and not enough L lenses

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: October 30, 2013, 11:16:37 AM »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 30, 2013, 11:25:03 AM »
I'd still like a RED focus point in AI Servo!  ::)
+1 on this, too, but I'm guessing there is a hardware limitation that prevented them from including it in the next-to-last firmware update.
Could be but it sure seems like something a FW update could alter...  I'd like the center red focus in all cases pretty much, not just AI Servo.  It's just that I shoot there so much!

There might be a technical limitation.  People who used previous 1-series bodies are used to red AF points. Like other cameras that don't have the transmissive LCD, the AF points are etched into the focus screen, and that makes them easy to illuminate from an angle which avoids significant wide-field reflection.  On cameras with a transmissive LCD, there are no etched grooves to 'side-light', but rather the flat surface of the LCD has to be illuminated, and that's a lot less specific.  The red light from the illuminator reflects off the surface of the transmissive LCD, and some of it reaches the metering sensor.  You can see that here:

That's not a problem for still shooting, but for servo shooting, the near-continuous metering would be impacted by the illumination for the LCD.  The solution for the 1D X is intermittent (blinking) illumination of the AF points in servo mode, and although that sounds like it could be implemented on the 5DIII, it's possible that they tweaked the interpretation from the metering sensor to ignore that red light, which might be possible with the RGB metering sensor of the 1D X but not possible with the less distinguishing metering sensor of the 5DIII. 

Lots of 'mights' there, and I suppose it's equally likely that Canon simply decided not to add that feature to the 5DIII, just as they decided not to add clean HDMI out to the 1D X.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

Krob78

• 1D X
  • When in Doubt, Press the Shutter...
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 30, 2013, 11:32:37 AM »
I'd still like a RED focus point in AI Servo!  ::)
+1 on this, too, but I'm guessing there is a hardware limitation that prevented them from including it in the next-to-last firmware update.
Could be but it sure seems like something a FW update could alter...  I'd like the center red focus in all cases pretty much, not just AI Servo.  It's just that I shoot there so much!

There might be a technical limitation.  People who used previous 1-series bodies are used to red AF points. Like other cameras that don't have the transmissive LCD, the AF points are etched into the focus screen, and that makes them easy to illuminate from an angle which avoids significant wide-field reflection.  On cameras with a transmissive LCD, there are no etched grooves to 'side-light', but rather the flat surface of the LCD has to be illuminated, and that's a lot less specific.  The red light from the illuminator reflects off the surface of the transmissive LCD, and some of it reaches the metering sensor.  You can see that here:

That's not a problem for still shooting, but for servo shooting, the near-continuous metering would be impacted by the illumination for the LCD.  The solution for the 1D X is intermittent (blinking) illumination of the AF points in servo mode, and although that sounds like it could be implemented on the 5DIII, it's possible that they tweaked the interpretation from the metering sensor to ignore that red light, which might be possible with the RGB metering sensor of the 1D X but not possible with the less distinguishing metering sensor of the 5DIII. 

Lots of 'mights' there, and I suppose it's equally likely that Canon simply decided not to add that feature to the 5DIII, just as they decided not to add clean HDMI out to the 1D X.
+1 and thanks for the explanation and view!  Definitely helps me understand that better. 

My favourite or favorite part of your comment was:
  Couldn't help but laugh out loud!  Thanks again! ;D
Ken

5D Mark III, 100-400mm L, EF 70-200mm f/2.8 II, EF 24-105mm L, EF 17-40mm L, EF 85mm f/1.8 USM,  Canon 580EX II, Canon 430EX II, Promaster TC 1.7x

Etienne

• 6D
    • View Profile
    • Photography by Steve Brule
« Reply #33 on: October 30, 2013, 01:26:11 PM »
For me the worst part of MkIII firmware is that HRD does not produce RAW/TIFF images like it should. Fact that it produces jpeg makes it just automatic bracketing tool :(

I really do not understand what they where thinking of???

In many situations it would make the Workflow so much faster and easier when you could use HDR results from straight from the camera. And if want to you could still use individual files if camera did not produce what you where looking for...

-Tee-

I assume you mean HDR ... You can set it to save all images. When I do HDR I get the processed HDR in camera plus all of the RAW images.

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 30, 2013, 01:29:55 PM »
I assume you mean HDR ... You can set it to save all images. When I do HDR I get the processed HDR in camera plus all of the RAW images.

Yeah, in-camera HDR.  Another feature found on the 5DIII (and other models, including my lowly PowerShot S100), but not found on the 1D X.   :P
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

Krob78

• 1D X
  • When in Doubt, Press the Shutter...
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 30, 2013, 01:42:27 PM »

Yeah, in-camera HDR.  Another feature found on the 5DIII (and other models, including my lowly PowerShot S100), but not found on the 1D X.   :P
That wretched Canon... How is it, not to include the 1Dx in these feature sets?  I've noticed that they left your hallowed 1Dx without a built in flash too, as even the Rebel series have them... Not very sporting of them at all... I feel your pain, no built in flash or articulating LCD screen on the lowly 5D MkIII either! 

Albeit, it's certainly easy to feel slighted by all these features that you're going without on your 1Dx, keep your chin up, it's possible they'll give it a hardware and another firmware update very soon... I'm hoping for your sake, anyway!   ;)
Ken

5D Mark III, 100-400mm L, EF 70-200mm f/2.8 II, EF 24-105mm L, EF 17-40mm L, EF 85mm f/1.8 USM,  Canon 580EX II, Canon 430EX II, Promaster TC 1.7x

wookiee2cu

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 30, 2013, 01:52:29 PM »
If all of the feature requests are possible (the ones the 1DX are getting) maybe MagicLantern will be able to incorporate them... give it time.  Plus it's kind of hard to complain about something the camera never had in the first place yet you had no problem buying it.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #36 on: October 30, 2013, 01:52:29 PM »

drmikeinpdx

• Canon 70D
  • Celebrating 20 years of naughty photography!
    • View Profile
    • Beyond Boudoir Photo
« Reply #37 on: October 30, 2013, 02:00:19 PM »
Fixes a phenomenon in which the AF microadjustment value may change.*

Anybody know what that is referring to?
Current bodies:  5D3, 7D, 550D, S100
Favorite lenses: 135 f/2.0 L, 85 f/1.8 200 f/2.8 L, 50 f1.4 Sigma, 40mm pancake, 24-105 L.
blog:   http://www.BeyondBoudoirPhoto.com

glongstaff

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
    • glongstaff smugmug
« Reply #38 on: October 30, 2013, 03:02:10 PM »
just updated from 1.2.1 and no problems as yet..still to do more testing to make myself happy
5D MKIII, EF 24-105mm F/4 IS L USM, EF 85mm F/1.8, EF 55-200mm 4.5-5.6 USM,  Sigma DG 150-500 5-6.3 APO HSM, Speedlite 430EXII

EOS 350D, EFS 18-55mm

josephandrews222

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 30, 2013, 04:01:48 PM »
...I will not be updating firmware without knowing a bit more about whether the update interferes with non-Canon-branded (but chipped) batteries, which work well with the current firmware.
5DMkIII; 40D; M; S95 + a dozen or so lenses & a half-dozen flashes

Rat

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 30, 2013, 04:59:46 PM »
Plus it's kind of hard to complain about something the camera never had in the first place yet you had no problem buying it.
No, it's pretty easy. One fix I'm jonesing for is a higher minimum speed when using auto ISO. Everyone with half a brain understands the camera can physically do this, and it would be nice if Canon could have at it. And it's perfectly OK if I voice that desire - how else would Canon be able to know, if all critics shut up?

All that doesn't mean I would or should leave the camera in the store. No one minds the crappy little details when buying a pro build, high iso full frame with an EF mount. It's not like I can go out and buy a totally equivalent, totally compatible camera save for that auto-iso-speed thingy.

I don't much like fallacies. I think this is called a black-or-white.
5DIII, 17-40, 24-105, 70-200/4IS, 50/1.8II, 85/1.8 and a truckload of gimmicks and bits.

RustyTheGeek

• Buy and Sell
  • 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • Images I've Shot...
« Reply #41 on: October 30, 2013, 05:24:40 PM »
It never ceases to amaze me how many people are never satisfied with what Canon does.  If the 5D3 falls short of their expectations, why buy it in the first place?

The 5d3 fanboys get a little antsy in the pantsy when someone mentions a 1Dx.  Don't worry, there's an easy fix, just mention how much you love the 6D and their chest puffs out again.

I love the 6D!  (And I own both.)  Oh, wait!  PUUFFF!  Too late.   :o
Yes, but what would  surapon  say ??  :D

Skirball

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 30, 2013, 06:18:08 PM »
It never ceases to amaze me how many people are never satisfied with what Canon does.  If the 5D3 falls short of their expectations, why buy it in the first place?

The 5d3 fanboys get a little antsy in the pantsy when someone mentions a 1Dx.  Don't worry, there's an easy fix, just mention how much you love the 6D and their chest puffs out again.

I love the 6D!  (And I own both.)  Oh, wait!  PUUFFF!  Too late.   :o

Lol!

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #42 on: October 30, 2013, 06:18:08 PM »

KurtStevens

• Rebel SL1
  • Practice safe photography, Use a concept.
    • View Profile
    • Kurt Stevens Photography
« Reply #43 on: October 30, 2013, 07:03:15 PM »
Still don't know if its worth upgrading from day one firmware to this.  Everyone started talking about prisms and 1dx nonsense. 

Worth it or not?
5D3 + 16-35 + 85 + 135

fugu82

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 30, 2013, 08:30:10 PM »
It's generally a good idea to stay up-to-date on your firmware. There have been some nice improvements via the updates, like the f/8 AF.

OTOH, there have been some issues, such as the reduction/removal of support of 3rd-party batteries.

I usually wait until a few folks try out the update to see if it might negatively affect my toys, and then go for it.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #44 on: October 30, 2013, 08:30:10 PM »