October 20, 2017, 02:10:22 PM

Author Topic: Dynamic range Nikon/Sony vs Canon  (Read 36314 times)

dlleno

• EOS 5D Mark IV
Re: Dynamic range Nikon/Sony vs Canon
« Reply #30 on: November 08, 2013, 12:24:17 PM »
Poor Terje, waited years everyday checking CR, wanting to jump in and make a comment that would stun & amaze, then the opportunity presented and he choked at the start, real bummer, and embarrassing, for Terke, sorry, terje.

I notice it was Terje's first ever comment, sort of like it was Morlin's first ever comment, I wonder ?????

I mean, it couldn't be, surely, Morlin is Terje incognito ??, like we used to have "you know who" incognito as the "temple guy", they all seem to have two things in common, Love Nikon DR, Hate everything that has Canon written on it, and aren't keen on Nuero either, Ok, that's 3 things in common.

...  aren't we up to five CR personas now?

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: November 08, 2013, 12:24:17 PM »

preppyak

• EOS 5DS R
« Reply #31 on: November 08, 2013, 12:54:36 PM »
wouldn´t it be better to test all lenses on a, lets say 180MP medium format sensor?
But what would the outcome of that test really be? Why do I need to know that my Canon lens resolves better than a Nikon equivalent at 180mp? Is there a 180mp on the market, or even the possibility of one?

I get what you are going for, but, the result would be so far divorced from reality that it wouldn't really be useful. I mean, even DXO's sensor tests are a little out there, because they are just testing the sensor, not the electronics that deliver the actual image. But at least it's mostly grounded in reality; it's a sensor that exists. And when they test lens/camera combos, they are things I could use in the real world.

Would knowing that the Nikon can resolve a tiny bit better on your 180mp sensor make me change from Canon to Nikon? No, because today, on the cameras they both have, there is no noticeable difference. And I'm taking pictures today. The results would basically just be fodder for useless flame wars.

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
« Reply #32 on: November 08, 2013, 01:29:38 PM »
And when they test lens/camera combos, they are things I could use in the real world.

But...now we have the Sony a7 and a7R, FF sensors in bodies which can use (in theory) both Canon and Nikon lenses.  Will DxO test those lenses on those bodies? 

DxO has not tested Nikon's 14-24/2.8 on Canon bodies. Some people use the Nikon 14-24 on Canon bodies, it's wider and generally accepted to be sharper than Canon's 16-35/2.8 II.  If/when Canon comes out with a 14-24 or updated 16-35, it could be useful to know which is the sharper lens, independent of camera.

Just a couple of examples of how sensor-independent lens tests could be useful in the real world.
EOS 1D X, EOS M2, lots of lenses

Lichtgestalt

« Reply #33 on: November 08, 2013, 02:34:49 PM »
wouldn´t it be better to test all lenses on a, lets say 180MP medium format sensor?
But what would the outcome of that test really be? Why do I need to know that my Canon lens resolves better than a Nikon equivalent at 180mp? Is there a 180mp on the market, or even the possibility of one?

at least it would show the performance of the LENS not the combination lens + camera.
the way it is they have to redo the test each time a manufacturer releases a camera with more MP.

and maybe we could see how good the lens design is. if it can reach it´s possible maximium.
i never really cared about nyquist. maybe i have too look into that.

David Hull

• EOS M5
« Reply #34 on: November 08, 2013, 04:05:23 PM »
Besides, he's taken his fight to DPR:  http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/52443217

Sporgon

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • 5% of gear used 95% of the time
    • www.buildingpanoramics.com
« Reply #35 on: November 08, 2013, 04:15:33 PM »
Besides, he's taken his fight to DPR:  http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/52443217

;D   ;D

Well spotted, that is hilarious.

But what is even more funny is that if you read the replies on his thread he got no sympathy at all from the dpreview crowd !  ;D

Diko

• EOS 6D Mark II
  • 7 fps...
« Reply #36 on: November 08, 2013, 05:14:38 PM »
... Also, as pointed out, the DXO mark tests show you achieve better resolution with the Canon despite the smaller Nr of pixels, because each system is a composite of sensor resolution and lens resolution. So the Canon lens is better.
If you need higher pixel density, you can always hook up your 600mm lens to a 70D body

Hmm Interesting... lens resolution... What about: Otus 1.4/55?

I wonder what glass do THEY put instead of fluorite... They claim that is more expensive than GOLD...
Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #36 on: November 08, 2013, 05:14:38 PM »

serendipidy

• EOS-1D X Mark II
« Reply #37 on: November 08, 2013, 05:28:39 PM »
Still they get to live in a very nice - albeit cold - country...  ;D
Hey, come on, it´s not that cold. We used to have 9 months of winter and 3 months of poor sledge conditions, but because of global warming the ratio moved to 7:5 ;)

By the way, Terje is a Norwegian name and I believe Voldemort was Swedish (?) and you should be aware that a Swede impersonating a Norwegian (and vice versa), is a crime beyond treason! Like we say; You can always tell a Swede ... but you can´t tell him much!

Now it is time for another single malt. A 30 year old Isle of Jura should do. Have a great weekend!

;D ;D ;D ;D 8)
EOS 5D3, EOS 7D II, EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II, EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM

dlleno

• EOS 5D Mark IV
« Reply #38 on: November 08, 2013, 06:25:10 PM »

;D   ;D

But what is even more funny is that if you read the replies on his thread he got no sympathy at all from the dpreview crowd !  ;D

well some trolls do it for fun.... but that guy seem to have a serious mental problem.

He was an astonishing example of the difference betweeen knowledge and wisdom.

David Hull

• EOS M5
« Reply #39 on: November 08, 2013, 06:36:33 PM »

;D   ;D

He is pretty well known over there as well.

eml58

• EOS-1D X Mark II
  • 1Dx
« Reply #40 on: November 08, 2013, 06:52:47 PM »

Yes, an interesting read over at DP Review, Thanks for pointing that out, sort of confirms what was thought, at least what I suspected.

Tends towards sadness though, poor chap hasn't learnt anything, and it must be awfully confusing for the Lad, I mean, what does he call himself next ?? Darth ??
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 5-1500mm f/1.0L IS
« Reply #41 on: November 08, 2013, 07:06:00 PM »

;D   ;D

Some like to Debate, its a sport.  If you ever agree with them, they will reverse and switch sides.  Eventually, this can get under your skin and it degrades a forum. 

I'm really surprised that he's still on DPR, they have been really quick to issue bans on many occasions for seemingly minor things.

ajfotofilmagem

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
« Reply #42 on: November 08, 2013, 07:54:35 PM »
It seems that "you know who" miss the heated discussions we had in CR. ::) Does "who should not pronounce the name," would be happy to NikonRumors with multiple users sharing their opinions? :o
« Last Edit: November 08, 2013, 07:58:15 PM by ajfotofilmagem »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #42 on: November 08, 2013, 07:54:35 PM »

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 5-1500mm f/1.0L IS
« Reply #43 on: November 08, 2013, 08:05:31 PM »
It seems that "you know who" miss the heated discussions we had in CR. ::) Does "who should not pronounce the name," would be happy to NikonRumors with multiple users sharing their opinions? :o

I think opinions are welcome here, particularly those rationally backed up.  Bashing those who do not agree with you - not so much.  Its a human tendency to defend your territory, but going overboard is the issue.

tron

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
« Reply #44 on: November 08, 2013, 10:16:22 PM »

;D   ;D

So no respect for the president ?   :o  :o  :o

Haven't you seen his signature?

Member of Swedish Photographers Association since 1984
Canon, Hasselblad, Leica,Nikon, Linhoff, Sinar
President of IARNA International anti-banding and read out noise Association

;D  ;D  ;D

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #44 on: November 08, 2013, 10:16:22 PM »