September 02, 2014, 06:26:46 PM

Author Topic: The 10 Essentials for Your Camera Bag  (Read 6136 times)

scottkinfw

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
    • kasden.smug.com
Re: The 10 Essentials for Your Camera Bag
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2013, 09:15:47 PM »
Condoms and camera gear?

You are prepared for some wildlife shooting.

sek

While my needs vary by shoot, sometimes taking a flash, rain cover, snake bite kit, GPS, or other things, there are a handful of items I always take with me.  In the outdoor world, you frequently hear about the 10 Essentials - here's my list of 10 Camera Bag Essentials in no particular order:

• Canon RC-1 wireless remote control - I use this all the time for just about any shot taken on a tripod
  • Giotto Rocket - I use it a couple of time a year, mainly shooting at the beach
  • LensPen DSLR Kit - hardly ever use it, but feel like I need to have it along just in case
  • B+W 82mm Polarizer & stepdown rings - used pretty frequently
  • Spare battery - used when needed, but not often as I have battery grips
  • Spare memory cards - only used when I forget to bring a card in the camera :o
  • Repel Lemon Eucalyptus Bug Spray - a necessity of living in Florida.  It's not as good as DEET, but in Florida, you have bugs year round and even architectural shoots and such can be buggy, so I always carry a little bottle of this with me.  I use it and Deep Woods Off! Sportsman's Formula a lot
  • Filter wrenches - fortunately I haven't had to use them too often
  • Zeiss lens wipes -  have used them mainly to keep blood off my gear from minor cuts
  • Garbage compactor bag - bought after reading about it in a Ralph Clevenger book.  They are tough as nails and great for macro groundwork, covering gear in the rain, etc.  I've carried one for at least 4 years now, but have only used it once...

What are your 10 Camera Bag Essentials you carry to every shoot (well at least when you take a camera bag)?

I don't carry any of this stuff.  Just my camera and some condoms.   ;D
sek Cameras: 5D III, 5D II, EOS M  Lenses:  24-70 2.8 II IS, 24-105 f4L, 70-200 f4L IS, 70-200 f2.8L IS II, EF 300 f4L IS, EF 400 5.6L, 300 2.8 IS II, Samyang 14 mm 2.8 Flashes: 580 EX II600EX-RT X 2, ST-E3-RT
Plus lots of stuff that just didn't work for me

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2013, 09:15:47 PM »

Grumbaki

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2013, 09:34:52 PM »
From your list, lenspen and spare memory cards.

Due to my specifics:
- Smartphone for translation for when langage skills fails me
- Pen a small legal pad, mainly for taking down email adress of poeple I socialize with, so they get their pictures
- Personnal ID (as per regulation) and official ID (as a semi "get out of jail free card")

candc

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2013, 10:22:41 PM »
don't forget the snickers bars.

Lloyd

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
    • BRRLaw
« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2013, 10:24:57 PM »
5D mkIII, 60D, 20D; 24-70mm f/2.8L; 24-105mm F4L; 70-200mm f/2.8L IS;  TS-E 17mm f/4L; Canon FD 800mm 5.6L; Canon FD 55mm f/1.2;  10-22mm f/3.5-4.5; Canon extenders 1.4X II and 2X II; Canon  580EX and 430EX

fugu82

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2013, 11:13:48 PM »
Great lists!

Along with some of the mentioned goodies I try to bring some gaffer's tape, either in my bag or wrapped around tripod legs. Handy stuff.

RustyTheGeek

• Buy and Sell
  • 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • Images I've Shot...
« Reply #20 on: November 05, 2013, 11:16:50 PM »
You might want to consider toilet paper.   Not photography related, but some comforts of home can't be beaten!

sek

Comforts of home are comfy wet wipes!  Those are in the fanny pack along with tissues, etc.  The fanny pack contents are a whole other list.   ;)
Yes, but what would  surapon  say ??  :D

johnb

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2013, 12:33:58 AM »
A basic Silva-type protractor compass is very handy when you're trying to work out timings and angles for the sun when you're shooting outdoors, and it doesn't take up much space.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2013, 12:33:58 AM »

verysimplejason

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr Account
« Reply #22 on: November 06, 2013, 12:41:38 AM »
swiss knife, wet wipes, spare plastic bags, passport, led lights.

M.ST

« Reply #23 on: November 06, 2013, 01:21:29 AM »
1. a few batteries
2. a lot of CF cards
3. Remote timer control (Canon TC-80N3 and Promote Control)
4. Giotto Rocket
5. LensPen
6. Visible Dust Arctic Butterfly® SD800 Professional Kit
7. a few Polarizers (B+W)
8. a few ND filters (B+W, Lee and SingRay)
9. a few ND grad filters (Lee)
10. Gerber tool
11. small water-level
12. Datacolor Spyder Cube
13. Led Lenser M7R X

But I don┬┤t carry all the products every time with me. Most of the products stays in the car.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2013, 01:32:47 AM by M.ST »

pwp

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 06, 2013, 02:17:28 AM »
Half the stuff already mention plus a few strong, releasable cable ties.
I'm stunned how often I use them, often for completely unpredictable things.

-pw

Grumbaki

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 06, 2013, 02:47:47 AM »
A basic Silva-type protractor compass is very handy when you're trying to work out timings and angles for the sun when you're shooting outdoors, and it doesn't take up much space.

Except if you're out of the woods with no cell coverage, i'd recommand the TPE app ;)

J.R.

• 1D X
  • A Speedlight Junkie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 06, 2013, 04:12:08 AM »
While my needs vary by shoot, sometimes taking a flash, rain cover, snake bite kit, GPS, or other things, there are a handful of items I always take with me.  In the outdoor world, you frequently hear about the 10 Essentials - here's my list of 10 Camera Bag Essentials in no particular order:

• Canon RC-1 wireless remote control - I use this all the time for just about any shot taken on a tripod
  • Giotto Rocket - I use it a couple of time a year, mainly shooting at the beach
  • LensPen DSLR Kit - hardly ever use it, but feel like I need to have it along just in case
  • B+W 82mm Polarizer & stepdown rings - used pretty frequently
  • Spare battery - used when needed, but not often as I have battery grips
  • Spare memory cards - only used when I forget to bring a card in the camera :o
  • Repel Lemon Eucalyptus Bug Spray - a necessity of living in Florida.  It's not as good as DEET, but in Florida, you have bugs year round and even architectural shoots and such can be buggy, so I always carry a little bottle of this with me.  I use it and Deep Woods Off! Sportsman's Formula a lot
  • Filter wrenches - fortunately I haven't had to use them too often
  • Zeiss lens wipes -  have used them mainly to keep blood off my gear from minor cuts
  • Garbage compactor bag - bought after reading about it in a Ralph Clevenger book.  They are tough as nails and great for macro groundwork, covering gear in the rain, etc.  I've carried one for at least 4 years now, but have only used it once...

What are your 10 Camera Bag Essentials you carry to every shoot (well at least when you take a camera bag)?

Cool ... My bag includes most of the items mentioned above plus the manfrotto super clamp
Light is language!

mackguyver

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Who Dares Wins
    • View Profile
    • My Personal Work
« Reply #27 on: November 06, 2013, 10:19:48 AM »
I actually have those rattling around in the bottom of most of my bags, so I guess that's #11

You might want to consider toilet paper.   Not photography related, but some comforts of home can't be beaten!
Good idea, as the Zeiss wipes can be a little small ;)

Good one, though I never get lost - LOL ;D

10. Gerber tool
11. small water-level
I take polarizers with me over 90% of the time, and grads most times.  I have a Gerber tool in my car, and take a snake bite and first aid kit me most of the time I'm outdoors.  I have lost many of those levels, but fortunately my 5DIII makes them obsolete, except for critical applications.  I still have one for my 5DII, though.

Also, do you find yourself using the Spyder Cube much?  I've often considered getting one for my studio, but don't know if I would use it enough.
EOS 1D X, 5DIII, M + EF 24 f/1.4II, 50 f/1.2, 85 f/1.2II, 300 f/2.8 IS II || 16-35 f/4 IS, 24-70 f/2.8II, 70-200 f/2.8II || TS-E 17 f/4, 24 f/3.5II || M 22 f/2, M 11-22 f/4-5.6 IS | 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 IS || 1.4x III, 2x III

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: November 06, 2013, 10:19:48 AM »

RustyTheGeek

• Buy and Sell
  • 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • Images I've Shot...
« Reply #28 on: November 06, 2013, 12:28:47 PM »
I actually have those rattling around in the bottom of most of my bags, so I guess that's #11

Good idea, as the Zeiss wipes can be a little small ;)

Good one, though I never get lost - LOL ;D

10. Gerber tool
11. small water-level
I take polarizers with me over 90% of the time, and grads most times.  I have a Gerber tool in my car, and take a snake bite and first aid kit me most of the time I'm outdoors.  I have lost many of those levels, but fortunately my 5DIII makes them obsolete, except for critical applications.  I still have one for my 5DII, though.

Also, do you find yourself using the Spyder Cube much?  I've often considered getting one for my studio, but don't know if I would use it enough.

Please throw away the snake bite kit.  Snake Bite kits are outdated and will cause more harm than good.  There are many sources for information about this but they all agree that trying to remove the snake venom is a pointless waste of time and is not advised.  Call 911, treat the bite like a puncture wound, keep it below heart level, sit down, lower your heart rate and get to a hospital ASAP.

What would be better to keep with you when you are outdoors often and away from a hospital would be a Eppi-Pen in case you or someone else is stung and goes into anaphylactic shock.  Or at the very least keep Benadryl handy.
Yes, but what would  surapon  say ??  :D

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 06, 2013, 12:32:08 PM »

The SpyderCube is great in mixed lighting situations.  During the holiday season, mine does double duty as a Christmas tree ornament...   :)
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: November 06, 2013, 12:32:08 PM »