September 01, 2014, 10:31:04 PM

Author Topic: Question about scanning film  (Read 563 times)

Orangutan

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
Question about scanning film
« on: November 01, 2013, 08:58:46 PM »
Before I bought my first digital camera in 2004 I was just a point-n-shooter with film.  I have a few dozen "memory-quality" rolls of film (and prints) in shoe boxes I'd like to scan.  I bought a Canon 9000F MkII and have been playing around with it.  I'm generally happy with the results; the output is not fantastic, but it's about all I'd expect from the cameras I used.

Question: What can I do about dust on the negatives?  I've been using my blower before scanning, but there's still some dust that my blower can't remove.  I don't want to go to extreme lengths to remove dust, but would appreciate advice for a better way.  I saw on the Web that some people rinse and dry their negatives before scanning, but I'm reluctant to do that unless I'm sure it's safe.

Any suggestions are appreciated.  Thank you.

canon rumors FORUM

Question about scanning film
« on: November 01, 2013, 08:58:46 PM »

MrFotoFool

• EOS M2
  • 5D mk3
    • View Profile
    • HoodFineArt
Re: Question about scanning film
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2013, 10:46:02 PM »
Dust is a huge problem and there will always be some no matter how well you blow it off.  (Same is true when scanning prints on a flatbed).  The better scanners use software called Digital Ice that automatically detects dust and small scratches and clones over it.  If your scanner does not have that, I am afraid the only solution is to clone over the spots in Photoshop or Elements or Paintshop or similar.

Rewashing the negatives may may things worse because you get new water spots on the film when it dries.  The only way around this is to add a little Photofluo solution to the water, which helps it streak off.  I believe you also need to use distilled water.  But you will still get dust on it afterwards, so I do not think this is a practical solution.

canon rumors FORUM

Re: Question about scanning film
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2013, 10:46:02 PM »