July 29, 2014, 01:42:51 AM

Author Topic: 5D2 Won't Turn On  (Read 626 times)

CDD28

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
5D2 Won't Turn On
« on: July 13, 2014, 08:58:32 PM »
My 5D2 fell off a tripod onto a concrete sidewalk last week and I thought it had survived. The grip cracked and I messed up the lens, but the body seemed untouched. It wouldn't turn on at first but after taking the grip off/putting it back on it powered up and has since worked fine since.

Fast forward to today. I try to turn the camera on and nothing. With the grip, without it, with three different batteries... nothing.

I will be taking it to CPS this week, however I need to use it tomorrow and was hoping someone would know of some trick that I may try to get it to power up? I read about turning it off and on 10 times but that did not seem to work.

canon rumors FORUM

5D2 Won't Turn On
« on: July 13, 2014, 08:58:32 PM »

Jim Saunders

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
Re: 5D2 Won't Turn On
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2014, 09:14:05 PM »
I'd probably do better to invest more time and less money.

Straightshooter

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2014, 10:51:40 PM »
I read about turning it off and on 10 times but that did not seem to work.

You forgot to say: "Abracadabra"

eos650

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2014, 12:01:31 AM »
There is a switch in the battery compartment that shuts the camera off, when you open the battery door. I know it's a long shot, but see if you can find that switch and activate and/or deactivate it with something. It might be jammed.

My wife dropped her PowerShot and had a similar issue. It would no longer power on, so she bought a new one. A few months later, when I had some time to play around, I got a tooth pick and used it to probe the battery door switch. It had somehow gotten jammed. The toothpick freed the switch and the camera sprung to life. It is still working today.

Like I say, it's a long shot, but it's worth a try. I could certainly see something similar happening based on the description of your issue.

bseitz234

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
    • BrianSeitzPhoto
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2014, 10:24:32 AM »
There is a switch in the battery compartment that shuts the camera off, when you open the battery door. I know it's a long shot, but see if you can find that switch and activate and/or deactivate it with something. It might be jammed.

My wife dropped her PowerShot and had a similar issue. It would no longer power on, so she bought a new one. A few months later, when I had some time to play around, I got a tooth pick and used it to probe the battery door switch. It had somehow gotten jammed. The toothpick freed the switch and the camera sprung to life. It is still working today.

Like I say, it's a long shot, but it's worth a try. I could certainly see something similar happening based on the description of your issue.

My brother had a 7D with this problem. His was a huge dust bunny messing with the little switch, so the door wasn't actually open, but the camera thought it was. Agreed, it's a long shot, but its worth looking at...
7D x2
70-200 f/2.8L - 17-55 f/2.8 IS - 85 f/1.8 - 50 f/1.4 - 28 f/1.8
580ex II - 2x 430ex II

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2014, 10:24:32 AM »