July 25, 2014, 12:29:51 AM

Author Topic: 1DX dust behind superimposed screen  (Read 2716 times)

R1-7D

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
Re: 1DX dust behind superimposed screen
« Reply #30 on: July 14, 2014, 04:30:45 PM »
So I just got the camera back.

The new pentaprism has some tiny black specks in the pentaprism too. Oh well...much better than before and I can live with this.

It's come back with a slight problem, however. When I try dropping the focusing screen down it sticks. It drops down about 2-4 millimetres and stops. I have the use the screen removal tool to pull it down and then it releases dropping the focusing screen.

Think this is an issue worth sending it back over?

EDIT:

The camera keeps getting dust on the bottom of the focusing screen now. Not a big deal as I just remove the battery, remove the focusing screen and blow it off. While the focusing screen not dropping down freely is a bit annoying, it doesn't particularly bother me. Probably the technician tightened something a bit more than normal. Either way it's not really interfering with the removal of the screen other than just having to use the tool to slightly move the bracket down a bit more before it drops down on its own.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2014, 05:17:37 PM by R1-7D »
Cameras: 1DX, Canon M. Lenses: Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II, Canon EF 70-200 f/2.8L IS II,  Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro, Canon EF 2X III, Tokina SD 16-28mm f/2.8 FX, Canon M 18-55mm IS, Canon M 22mm. Flashes MT-24 580EXII

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: July 14, 2014, 04:30:45 PM »

mrsfotografie

• 1D X
  • M.R.S. = my initials! www.mrsfotografie.nl
    • View Profile
    • MRS fotografie
« Reply #31 on: July 14, 2014, 05:38:48 PM »
So I just got the camera back.

The new pentaprism has some tiny black specks in the pentaprism too. Oh well...much better than before and I can live with this.

It's come back with a slight problem, however. When I try dropping the focusing screen down it sticks. It drops down about 2-4 millimetres and stops. I have the use the screen removal tool to pull it down and then it releases dropping the focusing screen.

EDIT:

The camera keeps getting dust on the bottom of the focusing screen now. Not a big deal as I just remove the battery, remove the focusing screen and blow it off. While the focusing screen not dropping down freely is a bit annoying, it doesn't particularly bother me. Probably the technician tightened something a bit more than normal. Either way it's not really interfering with the removal of the screen other than just having to use the tool to slightly move the bracket down a bit more before it drops down on its own.

Be careful not to get into a type of vicious circle now - your experience is a learning point for me too, sometimes we just have to let stuff be before we make it any worse. ;)
5D3, 5D2, NEX-6 | SY14mm f/2.8, Ʃ20mm f/1.8, 24mm f/2.8, 35mm f/2, Ʃ35mm f/1.4A, 50mm f/1.8 I, Ʃ50mm f/1.4 EX, 100mm f/2.8L Macro, 17-40L, 24-105L, 70-200 f/2.8L IS II, 1.4x II, 70-300L, 100-400L | E-mount: SY12mm f/2, Ʃ19mm & 30mm f/2.8 EX DN, 16-50 & 55-210 OSS | 2x FT-QL, AE-1P, FD(n) & FL primes

Straightshooter

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 14, 2014, 11:18:05 PM »

You know, I knew a pro sports photographer once who had exactly the same issues (as you are having now) with one of his -1d Mark III's and the thing just EXPLODED in his hands one day while shooting the winter Olympics back in 2010!!!  :o :o :o :o :o :o

He lost two fingers and his right eye  :'( :'( :'( :'( so if I were you, I wouldn't be so easy going about this!!  ???

Hope this helps...   ;D

IsaacImage

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
    • www.IsaacImage.com
« Reply #33 on: July 14, 2014, 11:44:13 PM »

You know, I knew a pro sports photographer once who had exactly the same issues (as you are having now) with one of his -1d Mark III's and the thing just EXPLODED in his hands one day while shooting the winter Olympics back in 2010!!!  :o :o :o :o :o :o
He lost two fingers and his right eye  :'( :'( :'( :'( so if I were you, I wouldn't be so easy going about this!!  ???

Hope this helps...   ;D

It's a great when you have a cense of humour, but when you pay such amount $ for best/Top available piece of equipment - you are expecting for the Best !

I was told by Canon Canada, that this is non warranty repair and cost around $800 CAD, when I brought the body righ after it was purchased.
It's not really big deal, much more bothering me dust on the sensor in 1DX bodies.
This is really huge freaking deal for me, as you are thinking more than twice when you stoping down the aperture to F8.

privatebydesign

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Ermintrude says "moo"
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 15, 2014, 12:26:23 AM »
My hardest worked 1Ds MkIII has more S___ in the viewfinder than the African savannah after the wildebeest migration. I wouldn't dream of cleaning it, it works. Next time something on it breaks it can go to Canon and if they clean it, great.

I understand the "collectors" mentality for bespoke items like limited edition Leica's, but to try to do that to simple workers tools seems a bit strange to me; these things are not built in dust proof clean rooms, they are not collectables, in fact they are nothing special at all in and of themselves, they are tools that enable us to take amazing images.

Worry about the colour of your output images, worry about lighting, worry about AF, exposure, or any number of important things, don't worry about a spec of dust in the camera, a scratch on the paint, a broken catch or seal, it is nothing more than a tool to take your great images.
The best time to plant a tree is twenty-five years ago. The second best time is today.

Straightshooter

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 15, 2014, 12:29:22 AM »
My hardest worked 1Ds MkIII has more S___ in the viewfinder than the African savannah after the wildebeest migration. I wouldn't dream of cleaning it, it works. Next time something on it breaks it can go to Canon and if they clean it, great.

I understand the "collectors" mentality for bespoke items like limited edition Leica's, but to try to do that to simple workers tools seems a bit strange to me; these things are not built in dust proof clean rooms, they are not collectables, in fact they are nothing special at all in and of themselves, they are tools that enable us to take amazing images.

Worry about the colour of your output images, worry about lighting, worry about AF, exposure, or any number of important things, don't worry about a spec of dust in the camera, a scratch on the paint, a broken catch or seal, it is nothing more than a tool to take your great images.

+1 

Spoken like a person who actually shoots instead of talks!  ;D

Straightshooter

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 15, 2014, 12:31:38 AM »

It's not really big deal, much more bothering me dust on the sensor in 1DX bodies.
This is really huge freaking deal for me, as you are thinking more than twice when you stoping down the aperture to F8.

Fully agree: Dust on the sensor = BAD!  >:(   Dust in the viewfinder = SHUT UP and go take some pictures!!  :o

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #36 on: July 15, 2014, 12:31:38 AM »