June 20, 2018, 03:58:19 AM

Author Topic: 6D autofocus capabilites: let's bust some myths about it  (Read 194657 times)

Sporgon

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • 5% of gear used 95% of the time
    • www.buildingpanoramics.com
Re: 6D autofocus capabilites: let's bust some myths about it
« Reply #315 on: April 23, 2014, 04:39:02 PM »
@ Marsu42; thanks for your comments. Incidentally don't think that you are alone in struggling with focus on horses. Animal fur is notoriously difficult to focus on, and with horses in particular I have always had trouble focusing with every camera I have used.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #315 on: April 23, 2014, 04:39:02 PM »

bholliman

• EOS 5DS R
    • [color=blue]Flick[/color][color=red]r[/color]
« Reply #316 on: April 23, 2014, 05:17:57 PM »

I also have to experiment with focus priority when doing tracking with the topmost point in portrait mode, no way around it really when tracking a horse running towards you... my problem might be a combination of dirty af array, non-cross point and bad 6d tracking behavior. Good to hear from some people without super powers, now I've much more to go on than before :-)

I wasn't aware the horse was running toward you.... I don't have much success with those types of shots either!  The 6D AF can handle side-to-side movement pretty well, but it definitely struggles with targets moving at anything over slow speed toward the camera.  I'd say my hit rate with those types of shots is pretty low, maybe under 60% depending on the DOF. :-[   I could nail focus with any of the AF points on the kiddie rides at f/2.8 with my 70-200 using One Shot with no problem, but shots of my older son on some of the faster rides moving toward me was iffy with either AI Servo or One Shot.  I really didn't even try these shots much since I knew they wouldn't come out.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2014, 05:32:17 PM by bholliman »
5DsR, EF Lenses: 35mm f/2IS, Tamron 85mm f/1.8 VC, 300mm f/2.8L II IS, 16-35mm f/4L IS, 24-70mm f/2.8LII, 70-200mm f/2.8LII
M5, EF-M lenses: 22mm f/2, 18-150mm
https://www.flickr.com/photos/68928679@N05

Sporgon

• 5% of gear used 95% of the time
    • www.buildingpanoramics.com
« Reply #317 on: April 23, 2014, 05:23:35 PM »
I also have to experiment with focus priority when doing tracking with the topmost point in portrait mode, no way around it really when tracking a horse running towards you... my problem might be a combination of dirty af array, non-cross point and bad 6d tracking behavior. Good to hear from some people without super powers, now I've much more to go on than before :-)
I wasn't aware the horse was running toward you.... I don't have much success with those types of shots either!  The 6D AF can handle side-to-side movement pretty well, but it definitely struggles with targets moving at anything over slow speed toward the camera.  I'd say my hit rate with those types of shots is pretty low, maybe under 60% depending on the DOF. :-[

+1, if you want to track subjects coming towards you at speed successfully I suggest a trip down to your local professional camera  shop with a thick wad of cash  :(

bholliman

• EOS 5DS R
    • [color=blue]Flick[/color][color=red]r[/color]
« Reply #318 on: April 23, 2014, 05:30:48 PM »

+1, if you want to track subjects coming towards you at speed successfully I suggest a trip down to your local professional camera  shop with a thick wad of cash  :(

Agreed!  Time for a 1Dx!
5DsR, EF Lenses: 35mm f/2IS, Tamron 85mm f/1.8 VC, 300mm f/2.8L II IS, 16-35mm f/4L IS, 24-70mm f/2.8LII, 70-200mm f/2.8LII
M5, EF-M lenses: 22mm f/2, 18-150mm
https://www.flickr.com/photos/68928679@N05

Marsu42

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
  • Canon Pride.
    • Der Tierfotograf
« Reply #319 on: April 23, 2014, 05:45:31 PM »
@ Marsu42; thanks for your comments. Incidentally don't think that you are alone in struggling with focus on horses. Animal fur is notoriously difficult to focus on, and with horses in particular I have always had trouble focusing with every camera I have used.

Ah, right, that might be another reason why I find it that hard to work with the 6d af system while a lot of people seem to find everything's peachy for their holiday shots :-o

Unfortunately way over my budget, and currently I find it much more rewarding to invest into lighting gear (tipods, softboxes, reflectors, flashes, ...) than into a camera that will be outdated again in no time.

Actually I also really like my good ol' 60d, did some great frog macros the other day @iso800, the 6d is really for thin dof and shooting in cloudy weather, the autumn and evenings. I admit I still have problems that a €1600 camera isn't "allround" capable but has (imho) deliberate design problems, other than horses running towards me it's mostly ok... but it worries me that I cannot trust the af system in critical circumstances.

Edit: If you really want to laugh from pain or sarcasm, try the 6d's top point on a *dog* speeding towards you - zero shots in focus :-p
« Last Edit: April 23, 2014, 05:51:57 PM by Marsu42 »

ahab1372

• EOS 6D Mark II
« Reply #320 on: April 23, 2014, 06:02:08 PM »
they should be all Zebras, that would make AF easier

CarlTN

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
« Reply #321 on: April 25, 2014, 04:01:42 AM »
Are there really two threads going on about this camera's AF pushing 20 pages now? 

Why can't people just agree to disagree, and accept the fact the 6D is a great camera for what it is - an entry level FF body with great IQ but with simplified AF.

Sometimes one tool is better than another based on needs/wants.

To put things in perspective, my SLRs are playing backup to my EOS M at the moment  :o

Actually there appears to be two threads going on.  One is about the 5D3 (the hostile hijacking of the original thread), the other is about the 6D (the original thread).  I've tried to agree to disagree, but that's not always possible.

Unfortunately there is not a satisfactory amount of practical information about specifically the 6D's autofocus, and how best to use it, in this thread.  I've tried to share my impression of its capabilities (and limitations) based on 13 months' experience and 15,000 shutter cycles, on my 6D.  I have used 8 lenses (9 if you count a TC combination) on it over this period of time.  I feel there are a few others who briefly contributed to this thread, that I could learn more from.  But they might have been soured by the thread's hijacking.

As for your DSLR playing backup to an EOS M, I'm not sure why that would be.  Whatever works for you. 

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #321 on: April 25, 2014, 04:01:42 AM »

BL

• EOS 6D Mark II
  • Great gear is good. Good technique is better.
« Reply #322 on: April 25, 2014, 06:00:17 PM »
shooting a lot of macro lately using low iso with speedlites, so crop factor/extra working distance is so much appreciated.  I've also been flipping my camera upside down on a tripod for low level shots, and that's just so much easier to do with a tiny camera.

And truthfully, the touch screen for liveview MF is awesome.  The focusing point touched by a finger is so much faster and more precise than the joystick nub along with toggling between magnification levels effortlessly.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2014, 06:03:19 PM by BL »
M, 5Dc, 1Dx, some lenses, a few lights

bdunbar79

« Reply #323 on: April 25, 2014, 06:45:11 PM »
Are there really two threads going on about this camera's AF pushing 20 pages now? 

Why can't people just agree to disagree, and accept the fact the 6D is a great camera for what it is - an entry level FF body with great IQ but with simplified AF.

To put things in perspective, my SLRs are playing backup to my EOS M at the moment  :o

Actually there appears to be two threads going on.  One is about the 5D3 (the hostile hijacking of the original thread), the other is about the 6D (the original thread).  I've tried to agree to disagree, but that's not always possible.

Unfortunately there is not a satisfactory amount of practical information about specifically the 6D's autofocus, and how best to use it, in this thread.  I've tried to share my impression of its capabilities (and limitations) based on 13 months' experience and 15,000 shutter cycles, on my 6D.  I have used 8 lenses (9 if you count a TC combination) on it over this period of time.  I feel there are a few others who briefly contributed to this thread, that I could learn more from.  But they might have been soured by the thread's hijacking.

As for your DSLR playing backup to an EOS M, I'm not sure why that would be.  Whatever works for you.

Just to be clear, the OP in this thread DID ask about the 5D3 vs. the 6D. 
2 x 1DX
B1G, MAC, GLIAC

J.R.

• EOS-1D X Mark II
« Reply #324 on: April 25, 2014, 10:59:55 PM »

+1 ... but then, you see what you want to see. Not that it is surprising though.
I took a hiatus from CR for a year and a half. The discussions haven't changed much. Excellent information is still being shared while people bitching about Canon cameras are still bitching and haven't moved on to Sony

J.R.

• EOS-1D X Mark II
« Reply #325 on: May 01, 2014, 08:12:06 AM »

+1 ... but then, you see what you want to see. Not that it is surprising though.

Well that would make the title of the thread misleading...it should have been "6D vs 5D3 autofocus capabilities, let's bust a hole in one while heaping fanboy praise on the other one."  That is what would not be surprising...And since you want to be clear, how about reading the context of what the OP was saying?  He said he didn't want quirky autofocus behavior with fast lenses, and yet said he also didn't intend to make a living from his photography.  That last part to me, was code for "I don't think I need to spend the extra 1000 Euros to get the better autofocus".  For my part, I posted a difficult shot in very low light with a fast wide angle prime lens, that achieved the focus plane I wanted, via focus recompose on the 6D.  A shot that the OP would never need to attempt, actually...The 6D has its quirks, and the AF sensor is its biggest compromise.  Everybody knows that.  To keep belaboring it, is silly.  But the first post in this thread by the OP, did not scream out a need to buy a 5D3.  Clarity is a wonderful thing.

Whatever Carl. TBH, I don't care what you think
I took a hiatus from CR for a year and a half. The discussions haven't changed much. Excellent information is still being shared while people bitching about Canon cameras are still bitching and haven't moved on to Sony

skitron

• EOS 7D Mark II
« Reply #326 on: May 01, 2014, 04:58:45 PM »
6d vs 5d3 af? You get what you pay for. I've owned both. 6d is slower, center point better than 5d3 in low light, outers like an older rebel. Meaning they will work in decent light, but nothing special for sure. Meanwhile the 5d3 af will spoil all but the 1dx users, its  almost
always a treat to use.
5D3, 70-200 f/2.8L IS II, 100L, 24-105L, Sigma 50/1.4 DG, Rokinon 14mm Canon TC 1.4x III

CarlTN

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
« Reply #327 on: May 02, 2014, 03:45:45 PM »

Well that would make the title of the thread misleading...it should have been "6D vs 5D3 autofocus capabilities, let's bust a hole in one while heaping fanboy praise on the other one."  That is what would not be surprising...And since you want to be clear, how about reading the context of what the OP was saying?  He said he didn't want quirky autofocus behavior with fast lenses, and yet said he also didn't intend to make a living from his photography.  That last part to me, was code for "I don't think I need to spend the extra 1000 Euros to get the better autofocus".  For my part, I posted a difficult shot in very low light with a fast wide angle prime lens, that achieved the focus plane I wanted, via focus recompose on the 6D.  A shot that the OP would never need to attempt, actually...The 6D has its quirks, and the AF sensor is its biggest compromise.  Everybody knows that.  To keep belaboring it, is silly.  But the first post in this thread by the OP, did not scream out a need to buy a 5D3.  Clarity is a wonderful thing.

Feeling is extremely mutual.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #327 on: May 02, 2014, 03:45:45 PM »

Marsu42

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
  • Canon Pride.
    • Der Tierfotograf
« Reply #328 on: May 02, 2014, 04:23:55 PM »
6d vs 5d3 af? You get what you pay for.

Indeed. It gets more tricky though if you think out of the Canon marketing / product lineup box

6d? You get what you pay for.

Well, it's 2014, and for €1600 do I get a af system that is reliable not only for landscape? Nope, it's the model from 5 years ago :-p ... but you'd better not really think about

6d vs Nikon? You get what you pay for.

Disclaimer: I really really love my 6d and take totally beautiful shots all the time in lighting conditions my 60d wouldn't even af at, not to speak produce unusable iq. But imho Canon really overdid it with crippling the af system, a center cross sensor @f2.8 or outer cross @f5.6 wouldn't stop most people buying the 5d3.

Skirball

• EOS 7D Mark II
« Reply #329 on: May 05, 2014, 12:33:41 PM »

Feeling is extremely mutual.

Come on boys, hug it out.  Hug it out...

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #329 on: May 05, 2014, 12:33:41 PM »