July 22, 2014, 01:33:41 PM

Author Topic: 6D autofocus capabilites: let's bust some myths about it  (Read 54534 times)

Marsu42

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • ML-66d / 100L / 70-300L / 17-40L / 600rts
    • View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
Re: 6D autofocus capabilites: let's bust some myths about it
« Reply #75 on: November 21, 2013, 10:36:45 AM »
Needless to say the images sucked but it focused ok

Indeed :-> ... and that's why -2LV is probably enough for available light shooting, -3LV imho only makes sense if you want to flash something but don't want to use the af assist (or don't have the flash on camera).

The one thing that might be interesting if a -3LV camera is faster at focusing @-2LV than one onle rated for -2LV peak - but I haven't read anything conclusive on this yet, just quick/subjective tests.

For simple "shoot in the dark" on tripod there are alternative solutions like Magic Lantern which can boost your LV to work as a night mode, then you can contrast af or just use focus peaking.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #75 on: November 21, 2013, 10:36:45 AM »

CarlTN

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: November 21, 2013, 09:27:03 PM »
Needless to say the images sucked but it focused ok

Indeed :-> ... and that's why -2LV is probably enough for available light shooting, -3LV imho only makes sense if you want to flash something but don't want to use the af assist (or don't have the flash on camera).

The one thing that might be interesting if a -3LV camera is faster at focusing @-2LV than one onle rated for -2LV peak - but I haven't read anything conclusive on this yet, just quick/subjective tests.

For simple "shoot in the dark" on tripod there are alternative solutions like Magic Lantern which can boost your LV to work as a night mode, then you can contrast af or just use focus peaking.

I did a few more this evening.  Some of them actually don't suck, but I guess it's all relative.  I disagree that -2LV is "enough", though. 

Marsu42

• View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #77 on: November 22, 2013, 06:02:12 AM »
I disagree that -2LV is "enough", though.

I think we agree this is not about agreement, but just about if some shooting styles requires it or not...

If I understand it correctly, -2LV means @f2.8 (the fastest speed you'd expect the af to work flawlessly and not require mf tricks) and iso12800 (arguably the fastest speed that makes a residual sense) ... 1/4s. Personally, I'm unlikely to shoot with 1/4s handheld requiring phase af, let alone 1/2s of -3LV.

The one situation where -3LV might make sense for me is with a IS prime which axes up to 4 stops from non-IS handheld, and @24mm you just might be able to handhold 1/2s if you've got low blood pressure... but I don't have such a lens, so it's not necessary for me, I'm more interested in *fast* phase af at lower light levels.

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: November 22, 2013, 09:16:16 AM »
The one situation where -3LV might make sense for me is with a IS prime which axes up to 4 stops from non-IS handheld, and @24mm you just might be able to handhold 1/2s if you've got low blood pressure...

This was handheld (free standing, not braced) at 95mm for a 0.5 s exposure…

EOS 5D Mark II, EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM @ 95mm, 1/2 s, f/5.6, ISO 100
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

Marsu42

• View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #79 on: November 22, 2013, 09:36:48 AM »
This was handheld (free standing, not braced) at 95mm for a 0.5 s exposure…

Ok, ok, I give in :-) ... if you're shooting for a keychain-holder print size it even -5LV does make sense because no one will ever see the shake - and with the newest PS CC shake reductions algorithms you can even remove a lot of this.

My reference was 100% crop and more than 1:10 chance of getting an ok iq, but yes, if the af works you can have at least give it a try while if your af refuses to work at all (I'm experiencing this a lot on the 0.5LV 60d) you're completely lost.

DKN

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
    • 500px page
« Reply #80 on: November 24, 2013, 05:36:22 AM »
Yesterday I shoot these at a Red Bull event in Milan, Italy. I used the 24-105L @f4 1/1000s 4000iso. I set a single focusing point in AI servo mode and of 200 shots only 8 were out of focus. I'm really happy with the focusing performance even with fast subjects in low light.

For the full size images follow this link: http://500px.com/photo/53027572

CarlTN

• View Profile
« Reply #81 on: November 24, 2013, 11:27:11 PM »
I disagree that -2LV is "enough", though.

I think we agree this is not about agreement, but just about if some shooting styles requires it or not...

If I understand it correctly, -2LV means @f2.8 (the fastest speed you'd expect the af to work flawlessly and not require mf tricks) and iso12800 (arguably the fastest speed that makes a residual sense) ... 1/4s. Personally, I'm unlikely to shoot with 1/4s handheld requiring phase af, let alone 1/2s of -3LV.

The one situation where -3LV might make sense for me is with a IS prime which axes up to 4 stops from non-IS handheld, and @24mm you just might be able to handhold 1/2s if you've got low blood pressure... but I don't have such a lens, so it's not necessary for me, I'm more interested in *fast* phase af at lower light levels.

I understand what you mean.  But 1/2 second exposure is not good for anything other than a landscape shot on a tripod (or at least anything other than an animal or human...something that is very still).   I got acceptable sharpness from a 200 f/2 that I rented with 1/2 second exposure on my monopod.  In any case I can't afford a 400 f/2.8, but even it would not be enough light to get an ISO of 12,800 at an exposure of 1/15 sec or so on a monopod, with the amount of light in the scenario I mentioned above, where my f/5.6 was under exposed at that shutter speed at ISO 102k.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #81 on: November 24, 2013, 11:27:11 PM »

CarlTN

• View Profile
« Reply #82 on: November 24, 2013, 11:28:52 PM »
Yesterday I shoot these at a Red Bull event in Milan, Italy. I used the 24-105L @f4 1/1000s 4000iso. I set a single focusing point in AI servo mode and of 200 shots only 8 were out of focus. I'm really happy with the focusing performance even with fast subjects in low light.

For the full size images follow this link: http://500px.com/photo/53027572

Nice job!

gigabellone

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
    • GIGAphoto
« Reply #83 on: November 25, 2013, 05:33:15 PM »
Just to let you all know, i placed my order for the 6D, i hope i'll be able to play with it this week end. :D

CarlTN

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: November 26, 2013, 03:02:59 AM »
Just to let you all know, i placed my order for the 6D, i hope i'll be able to play with it this week end. :D

Congrats' and I hope you enjoy it!  I can't seem to get away from mine for long.  I know it's far from perfect, but for the price, I don't know of any better camera...especially for my needs.  I'm just amazed at how intuitive and easy it is to use.  I almost think I could sleepwalk, pick it up, and adjust all sorts of things on it without knowing I did it.  Never experienced that from any other camera (including all other Canon DSLR's I've owned, rented, or tried).  The menus are beautiful in their layout and function.  I tried scrolling through the menus on a Nikon D7100 a few days ago...what a nightmare!  It was like flipping through newspaper pages back in the Victorian era, by comparison...with my toes!  Does "Nikon" mean "illogical" in Japanese?  It literally took me over 10 minutes to find what I was looking for in the Nikon menu...about as organized as my brother's workshop!

Marsu42

• View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #85 on: November 29, 2013, 12:01:02 PM »
Concerning the thread title and mythbusting:

During the last week and the grim weather I had a lot of opportunity to shoot in dim light, and with 6D+100L I have to say the -3LV in no way are able to replace the af assist beam (which I cannot use if the flash is on a bracket).

The 6D does af eventually which is better than nothing, but if shooting animal or people portraits it's way too slow, plus not very precise either, I guess the latter since it's a f2.8 lens which has the well-known non-cross sensor problem. Ymmv with other lenses though, I just tried the 100L as it's my fastest lens.

gigabellone

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
    • GIGAphoto
« Reply #86 on: December 01, 2013, 01:32:59 PM »
I played with my new toy today, and i must say i'm really impressed. It's light, but feels solid. The shutter is quiet, and it's easy and intuitive to use. And i can't believe how clean the pictures look at iso 4000 and over. The AF is good enough, it didn't disappoint after all. Now i only need a good wide angle lens and a sturdy tripod. :D

CarlTN

• View Profile
« Reply #87 on: December 04, 2013, 12:09:48 AM »
I played with my new toy today, and i must say i'm really impressed. It's light, but feels solid. The shutter is quiet, and it's easy and intuitive to use. And i can't believe how clean the pictures look at iso 4000 and over. The AF is good enough, it didn't disappoint after all. Now i only need a good wide angle lens and a sturdy tripod. :D

Glad to hear it!  How wide of a lens?

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #87 on: December 04, 2013, 12:09:48 AM »

gigabellone

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
    • GIGAphoto
« Reply #88 on: December 04, 2013, 06:06:13 AM »
Glad to hear it!  How wide of a lens?

In the last days i persuaded myself that the 24L would be the perfect lens for me. 24mm should be wide enough for landscapes, and its large aperture will help a lot in low available light and open up interesting creative possibilities. I think it can cover most of my shooting needs: landscape, travel/street, full body portraits.

Marsu42

• View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #89 on: December 04, 2013, 06:22:10 AM »
I think it can cover most of my shooting needs: landscape, travel/street, full body portraits.

I'd like to state the theory that there is a reason the seemingly boring 35mm is very popular on ff - for portraits 24mm already is very far from the "natural" look of the human eye, so for full body portraits a bit longer focal lengths and taking some steps back might give more pleasing results. Then again, for groups in tight spaces it isn't wide enough, even though my recent ff experience with the 17-40L is that 24mm already is really, really wide - but not wide enough for some landscapes mind you.

It would be very nice to get a "one does it all" prime, but for one lens I'd chose a zoom (standard or uwa) because the 6d already excels at low light, faster than f2.8 (16-35, 24-70) should be rarely essential.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #89 on: December 04, 2013, 06:22:10 AM »