December 20, 2014, 03:37:28 PM

Author Topic: Teasers are over: new retro Nikon FF Body finally outed  (Read 13661 times)

nicku

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
Re: Teasers are over: new retro Nikon FF Body finally outed
« Reply #75 on: November 06, 2013, 12:48:35 AM »
Correct me if I'm wrong, but nobody has talked about resolution. More living proof, that the Nikon D800 is so successful it makes plenty of the Canon users frustrated...

By the way, this DF looks incredibly lovely. The only drawback is the price tag...

The D800 is so successful that the 5DIII is outselling it by a wide margin, and resolution is so important that Nikon builds on the 'success' of their 36 MP camera by bringing out a retrocam with a paltry 16 MP.  None of that frustrates me in the least...   ::)

I'm really astonished that you overlooked the point...

Which point?  That the design is blocky and overly complicated, or that it's overpriced? 

In fact, I disagree that it's overpriced.  This camera isn't about form or function, it's about appearance and perception. If it's priced too low, it won't be perceived as the status symbol Nikon clearly intends it to be.  Of course, car makers seem to grasp that middle-aged men want faster and sleeker phallic symbols, whereas Nikon apparently thinks boxy and old-fashioned is a selling point.

Here we go again..... another slap in the face from Nikon
I wonder when Canon will wake up???...... if they do.

LOL.  Canon will 'wake up' when Nikon starts taking away their market share.  Can you honestly say you think this camera is going to help them do that?   ::) ::) ::)

This particular camera maybe not... but the Df + D800 + D610 + THE PRICES definitely yes.  ;)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #75 on: November 06, 2013, 12:48:35 AM »

Dylan777

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: November 06, 2013, 12:53:27 AM »
The more I look at this camera the more it looks cluttered. It should only have dials for aperture, shutter speed and ISO to keep it clean looking. Let the rest be buried in to nikons horrid menu system because after all this is a "purest" camera.  ::)

Should look something like this; http://www.dylanphotography.phanfare.com/6246818#imageID=198269217

Oh well...rumor Fuji x200 is right around the corner and I'M IN :o
« Last Edit: November 06, 2013, 12:57:52 AM by Dylan777 »
Bodies: 1DX -- 5D III
Zooms: 16-35L f4 IS -- 24-70L II -- 70-200L f2.8 IS II
Primes: 40mm -- 85L II -- 135L -- 200L f2 IS -- 400L f2.8 IS II

LetTheRightLensIn

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: November 06, 2013, 02:26:13 AM »
It's not bad, BUT they removed all video instead of improving it! And for this late in the game 1/2fps slower than the 5D3 despite delivering 7 less MP seems curious, maybe 7-8fps FF mirror box cost too much.... except the body seems to cost enough to support it though.

It does have a sensor that is better than the 5D3 at both ISO6400 and ISO100 though (although it's certainly not as much better at ISO100 as the D800 is at the DR bump is only about half as much, still doesn't hurt though, and the res is actually lower).

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: November 06, 2013, 06:24:52 AM »
LOL.  Canon will 'wake up' when Nikon starts taking away their market share.  Can you honestly say you think this camera is going to help them do that?   ::) ::) ::)

This particular camera maybe not... but the Df + D800 + D610 + THE PRICES definitely yes.  ;)
[/quote]

Definitely?  Guess you've invested heavily in Nikon stock, since it's a sure winner, 'eh?   :P

I suppose it's escaped your notice that the 5DIII is outselling the D800, the 6D is outselling the D610 (and the former is cheaper), and that while the Df has no competition, that's probably for good reason.  Oh, and the sales of all the aforementioned cameras are a drop in the bucket compared to the entry-level dSLR segment, where Canon continues to outsell Nikon.

But you go right on...confidence trumps facts any day, right?
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

Roo

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: November 06, 2013, 08:27:39 AM »
I don't mind retro looks.  In fact I'm looking at picking up an old Praktica or similar just for a display piece.  However  I wouldn't buy one of these because it is way too crowded with buttons and dials and looks like it will be a nightmare to learn and use.  Even though I don't do video, I'm happy I spent my money on the 5d3 instead of something like this.
5Diii, 60D,GoPro Hero 4, Canon 24-105L, Canon 70-200 2.8L is II, Samyang 14 2.8, Tamron 17-50 2.8 vcd, Tamron 90 macro, Tamron 150-600

J.R.

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: November 06, 2013, 08:30:17 AM »

Definitely?  Guess you've invested heavily in Nikon stock, since it's a sure winner, 'eh?   :P

I suppose it's escaped your notice that the 5DIII is outselling the D800, the 6D is outselling the D610 (and the former is cheaper), and that while the Df has no competition, that's probably for good reason.  Oh, and the sales of all the aforementioned cameras are a drop in the bucket compared to the entry-level dSLR segment, where Canon continues to outsell Nikon.

But you go right on...confidence trumps facts any day, right?

There is a poll on DPReview as to who is going to buy a Nikon Df. Not surprisingly (maybe surprising to some) almost 50% of the votes are for the option - "No. Never minded. I'd preffer D800's, D610's, D700's or even a D400's if appears...". Only 5% will put in a pre-order.

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3571345
1DX, 5D3, 600D, RX100
16-35L, 24-70L II, 70-200L II, 100-400L, 50L, 85L II, 135L, 24TSE, 40, 100 macro, 18-55 II, 55-250 II, 1.4x III, 2x III, 600RT x 4
The grass is always greener when you crank up the saturation in photoshop

DaveMiko

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: November 06, 2013, 09:12:26 AM »
The choice between Canon gear and Nikon, Sony, etc. gear is no choice at all. ... Besides, this is a Canon forum, not a Nikon one.
1DX, 5D Mark III, 24-70 f2.8 II, 24-105 f4 IS, 70-200 f2.8 IS II, 70-200 f4 IS, 100-400 f4.5-5.6 IS, 600 f4L IS II, 300 f2.8L IS II, 2x Mark III, 1.4x Mark III.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #81 on: November 06, 2013, 09:12:26 AM »

AvTvM

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: November 06, 2013, 10:59:25 AM »
The choice between Canon gear and Nikon, Sony, etc. gear is no choice at all. ... Besides, this is a Canon forum, not a Nikon one.

so?

I promise to discuss only about Canon-stuff again, if and when Canon comes up with something worthwhile to talk about. FF-sensored mirrorless system camera plus assorted lens-linep. Even better, but not much more expensive than the Sony A7R ... would be my preferred subject. 

Until that happens we'll continue to have fun disecting Nikon's sorry retro-mistake, the Digital Frankenstein. :-)

RLPhoto

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Gear doesn't matter, Just a Matter of Convenience.
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #83 on: November 06, 2013, 11:03:31 AM »
Nikon's sorry retro-mistake, the Digital Frankenstein. :-)

More like Didn't Finish.  :P

9VIII

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: November 06, 2013, 02:02:40 PM »
I absolutely adore all the buttons and dials on the DF. If they would have given it the D800 sensor, or more FPS, I think it would have been a lot more appealing. As is I would gladly trade my 5D2 for one of these, unfortunately since I got my 5D2 for $1,000 it'll be a while before something like that is feasible.

As soon as Fuji puts out a FF body I will have a hard time not getting one of those.
-100% RAW-

Sporgon

• 5% of gear used 95% of the time
    • View Profile
    • www.buildingpanoramics.com
« Reply #85 on: November 06, 2013, 02:38:39 PM »
I absolutely adore all the buttons and dials on the DF. If they would have given it the D800 sensor, or more FPS, I think it would have been a lot more appealing. As is I would gladly trade my 5D2 for one of these, unfortunately since I got my 5D2 for $1,000 it'll be a while before something like that is feasible.

As soon as Fuji puts out a FF body I will have a hard time not getting one of those.

Well I hope you won't miss being able to exposure compensate whilst shooting with your eye to the viewfinder in AV, or change ISO in the same way etc etc.

Nikon could have had a winner with this concept. There was no need to be so 'retro'. They could have retained a large pentaprism with no pop up flash, kept the original bold, upright Nikon logo, but added ergonomically designed physical dials for the important settings that can be operated one handed.

Click

• View Profile
« Reply #86 on: November 06, 2013, 02:51:37 PM »

TexPhoto

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: November 06, 2013, 05:20:03 PM »
Why is it silly?

It's is a $2700 camera pretending to bbs a $50 flea market camera.  It can play a film rewinding noise.  It does not shoot video, purely as a software limitation.

It can play a film rewinding noise!

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #87 on: November 06, 2013, 05:20:03 PM »

Sporgon

• 5% of gear used 95% of the time
    • View Profile
    • www.buildingpanoramics.com
« Reply #88 on: November 06, 2013, 05:34:11 PM »

OMG, I thought you were taking the mick so I checked this out. Yes it does when you connect it to a computer.

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: November 06, 2013, 06:17:28 PM »

OMG, I thought you were taking the mick so I checked this out. Yes it does when you connect it to a computer.

I bet the person who thought of that is still patting himself on the back, while much of the world will laugh - I did - when they learn of this 'feature'.  My iPhone makes a nifty shutter sound, too. 
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #89 on: November 06, 2013, 06:17:28 PM »