July 16, 2018, 03:51:49 PM

Author Topic: 6D - Getting started in Magic Lantern ...  (Read 30200 times)

Marsu42

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
  • Canon Pride.
    • Der Tierfotograf
Re: 6D - Getting started in Magic Lantern ...
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2013, 03:57:52 AM »
There have been reports of the bootflag slowing down the startup time on a 5d3 either from powered down or from sleep.

You're correct, I forgot about that - startup with the bootflag is about ~1s slower since the camera tries to determine if the sd/cf card is bootable and contains autoexec.bin - no delay to be really worried about, but it might matter if you never plan to use ml again.

Btw, Marsu42 I downloaded your fork of the magic lantern build because I really wanted the autoiso module.  I had some problems getting it to compile (5d3) in windows at first but I think I worked them out. I should run through the small changes I had to make to get it to compile with you.

If there's anything wrong with the module or it needs changes to compile for the 5d3 let me know (I can only try it on 60d & 6d): http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=8688.0

Also the code in the repo is not the newest version with faster metering I'm currently testing/running myself, the repo version should be working just fine though. Alex is currently on vacation so it'll take some months before it's merged, but I just pulled the newest trunk code into the aiso repo so you should be able to compile & use it on the 5d3: https://bitbucket.org/Marsu42/ml-aiso

Esp. CFG_QUICK_TOGGLE_ON and CFG_QUICK_TOGGLE_OFF might need fixes for 5d3, these are to toggle auto_iso off when selecting a manual iso and to turn it on when dialing to Canon A.

Now, I am still too chicken to install it because of the bootflag startup delay issue. But it is very tempting.

I'd be very surprised if anyone who tried ML would stop to use it - focus peaking, raw histogram/zebras, dual_iso with 14ev dynamic range and auto_iso (I'm using Av with 1/1000 min. shutter + fill flash with auto iso all the time) makes it worth alone.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2013, 03:57:52 AM »

tron

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2013, 04:59:41 AM »
Does 6D ML  support fully uninstall (unlike 5D3) ?

I actually don't know if you can remove the 6d bootflag because I don't intend to do it, there are no reports of Canon making any fuzz about it - this issue is blown out of proportion because it seems many people don't realize "uninstalling" ML is simply by formatting the sd/cf card as the camera then boots w/o ml (or simply press a button on startup).

Ask 1% in the ML forum (new ports -> 6d dev kit) as he's the maintainer of the 6d ML "Tragic Lantern" port.
OK thanks

MLfan3

• EOS Rebel T7i
« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2013, 01:22:11 PM »
I'm thinking of getting started with using Magic Lantern on the 6D. Troubling part is that ML mentions on its website that the software may brick the camera.

Now I know there are loads of people already using ML without any issues. Is there anything I should watch out for in particular?

Thanks in advance,
 no issues at all , so no worry about it.
even lensrentals approved it.
J.R.

timmy_650

• EOS M5
« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2013, 02:42:11 PM »
I have ML on my T2i and have never really had any problems with it and it has been like 18 months. Once I had a mirror lock up issue but that was more my fault than the ML.
But I just got a 6D a few weeks ago and haven't decide if I want to put it on yet. If I did video I would put it on but I rarely do, so I don't know If i am.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2013, 02:42:11 PM »