September 30, 2014, 06:52:26 AM

Author Topic: Off Brand: Nikon Announces the Df  (Read 18442 times)

Expat

Re: Off Brand: Nikon Announces the Df
« Reply #30 on: November 05, 2013, 09:47:16 AM »
"Digital (con)Fusion with the Nikon Df" is what a genuine Nikon guy has to say about the Nikon Df at:
http://www.dslrbodies.com/newsviews/digital-confusion-with-the.html
That would be Thom Hogan who wrote: "when camera makers start making differentials by purely style issues, that means they've hit a wall in terms of technology, performance, innovation, and features".
I bought my first Nikkormat with a 50/2 lens in 1976. I opened my own fashion/editorial/advertising photographic studio in Montreal in the early 80s and whenever I used 35mm format it was all Nikon. I used Nikon all the way up to the F4. And I had a boat load of lenses. So it brings me no pleasure to express that I think the Df is hideous and to sadly wonder if this looking back with deep nostalgia by Nikon isn't an indication of numbered days for the brand.
The return to "real photography" jargon expressed in the article that began "yes, this is a Canon site" could have well been written by Nikon's marketing department. Which is really sad too. In one of the marketing pictures there are two really old lenses pictures. The 43-86 zoom is the absolute worse zoom lens I have ever used and its reputation as garbage is well known. The fast 55 pictured was not that good either. It also may have contained at least one radioactive element to correct aberrations - such as Thorium. In our time - the 21st century - we are looking to be as environmentally and health smart as we can so to see as a marketing ploy by Nikon a garbage zoom beside a lens that could make a Geiger Counter sing is super sad.
I was under the impression, though I could be totally wrong, that this site was not maintained by anyone who could fit the following description by Thom Hogan: "So what retro design tends to be is a pure nostalgia play. A big part of the DSLR user base is older, and it learned photography on film SLRs that had dials. Suddenly we old-timers get dials back and we go all weak-artificial-kneed and start drooling, apparently." 
For the curious, I have been a Canon user since the EOS 1. My equipment list is long. But when I go out the door these days I grab a 6D with a 40/2.8 STM pancake mounted, and the 24/2.8 IS in my tiny sling bag. All that attached images were made at ISO3200 - just because....

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: November 05, 2013, 09:47:16 AM »

mikea

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 05, 2013, 09:56:06 AM »
Beautiful!
Over the weekend I was looking at 1970s SLRs and my old Canon A1, which I'll never sell, and feeling all nostalgic about those great designs.  Unfortunately, whereas you can still use a classic car, a film camera now has little practical use.  I wish there was a way to put my 5DII innards into my A1 body.  :)
If I had the spare cash, I'd definitely buy this DF even if just for fun.

wtlloyd

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 05, 2013, 09:58:42 AM »
There's a place for nostalgia, and tech ain't it. Unless it's Steampunk, that which is but never was.

Where's the brass, Nikon?

Looking at that camera just makes me feel tired.

pedro

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 05, 2013, 10:00:35 AM »
Outside the issue of ugliness, I liked the specifications. I'm serious. Use a good quality and low resolution sensor is the dream of some (few people) and costs less than D4. Honestly, if canon makes a retro camera (beautiful) with the same 1DX sensor, and sells cheaper, I'd love to.

Plus one. Nikon seems to read the fora ;-) I could imagine buying a retro Canon AE1 type designed DSLR, 18 MP ... but as a high ISO freak I would like the 1Dx's high ISO range in it... 8) Looking at Canon's current price tags they might still ask 3K, just for the retro look ;-)
30D, EF-S 10-22/ 5DIII, 16-35 F/2.8 L USM II, 28 F/2.8, 50 F/1.4, 85 F/1.8, 70-200 F/2.8 classic,
join me at http://www.flickr.com/groups/insane_isos/

tolusina

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 05, 2013, 10:06:27 AM »
I think the top half looks great, I think the bottom half looks like any other nikon. I would have loved to have seen a traditional stop down lever.

I would also loved to have seen a 'thumbs up' style rest, where the film winder would have been.

The kit lens doesn't even have an aperture ring.......
Yes, stop down lever would have been a nice touch, at least it's got a prominent button, unlike my 6D that makes me wish for Elastic Man superpowers every time I reach for it.

Hadn't thought of the winder lever/thumb rest, good catch, had to go handle the AE-1 to recall the feel, maybe a lever there could be for BBF, er, BLF?

Missing aperture ring indeed, that was one of the first things to catch my eye.
I've worn out two digital Nikons, still breaking in my first digital Canon, EVERY time I've picked up any of those 3 DSLRs, I lament the missing aperture ring, I really, really miss those.
I was downright giddy when I first handled my daughter's S90, aperture ring on steroids!!

........ retro fixie bike way.....
been there, got the bike long before there were Hipsters, got the t-shirt.

......adorned in flares and a kipper tie........
Um, please Paul, what's a kipper tie??
----
I really like the look of this Nf but I'm ticked enough at Nikon from experience, I've got a few more years (at least) of saying and meaning "I never ever want to own another Nikon" that I just can't consider owning this new beauty.

Does make me continue to wish for a Pentax dLX, LXd, whatever they'd call an LX like, FF digital.

40 on 6

paul13walnut5

« Reply #35 on: November 05, 2013, 10:12:05 AM »

tolusina

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 05, 2013, 10:12:28 AM »
Oh, can we also put to bed the "take away video and make the camera cheaper!" arguments for good now. Here's a stills camera aimed at photographers at the expense of videographers, and its 50% more expensive than their more mass-market D600/D610. It's gonna double the street price of the 6D, which is the same size and has video.

No video makes it more niche, which makes it more expensive
Um, can't really compare Df to D610, Df doesn't have D610 guts, it's got D4 guts at less than half the price.
40 on 6

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #36 on: November 05, 2013, 10:12:28 AM »

7enderbender

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 05, 2013, 10:14:08 AM »
If I were a Nikon afficionado, for the same price, why would I buy a Df over a D800?

Because you already own a D800 and D800E?  I think this is marketed to wealthy hobbyists.

I know next to nothing about the Nikon system, but I think the appeal here may be that this camera is compatible with all the old Nikkor lenses. Something that Nikon had moved away from for all practical purposes on their more recent pro level cameras? Again, I'm not sure about this.

If this were the case it would make me sad in a way since this will never ever be a reasonable option for Canon. I have a bag full of nice old FD glass. I never liked the EOS/AF approach and only bought into it since with digital there was no other Canon choice available. And I didn't want to go the Nikon route a few years back because there are some Canon lenses for which Nikon doesn't have an equivalent. And a few other reasons at the time.

But had this thing been around and if it really takes old MF lenses without compromises (again, not sure about that) I would have had a very close look at this. I hope it's successful and hits a nerve with people who are sick of the spaceship cameras with touch screens and plastic lenses. I hope it's a trend because I would love to shoot again with a camera like that. Does it "take better pictures"? No. That was never the question. Remember the days when every camera loaded pretty much the same film? So that's not the point. It's how well a camera feels and handles and if you are happy to bring it along often.
5DII - 50L - 135L - 200 2.8L - 24-105 - 580EXII - 430EXII - FD 500/8 - AE1-p - bag full of FD lenses

RustyTheGeek

• Buy and Sell
  • 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • Images I've Shot...
« Reply #38 on: November 05, 2013, 10:15:19 AM »
I skimmed this thread and honestly, my heads hurts a little.  I can already see this thread going off into all kinds of rants.  Frankly, I love the retro stuff.  I'll likely never sell my little AE-1 kit either.  And I would love to have my 5D3 or 6D crammed inside of my AE-1.  Or maybe a rangefinder.  It would be sooo cool.

But that isn't going to happen and some of you may remember my own little rant a year ago about wanting a simple non-video low-res DSLR dedicated to photography.  And now, here it is from Nikon for an insane price.  And as much as I would love to see this from Canon, I have to admit that the Nikon is pretty silly mostly because of the insane price.

So my revised wish would be to have a 6D or 60D crammed into the old retro AE-1 Program body and priced around the same price or less of a 6D or 60D if it were APS-C.  That would be fun.  That's all.  Fun.  For those with disposable income that want a nostalgic fun camera.  Don't beat me up about whether adding video costs more or not, recovering R&D budgets, market segments, etc.

It would just be fun to see and I might even buy one if it used my current lenses and flash.
Yes, but what would  surapon  say ??  :D

AvTvM

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 05, 2013, 10:16:29 AM »
More faulty logic: you are still assuming that video costs extra,

You got it wrong. I don't care in at all, how much it costs a camera maker to add video capability to a DSLR (it does cost something). ALL I am saying is, that camera makers should CHARGE more for dual purpose gear compared to single purpose gear.

They should sell all cameras in a video-enabled version and a video disabled version. Video disabled version at significantly lower price. Video-enabled version at much higher price, but still much lower than combined cost of a stills and a video camera.  That would be fair. That way, those who clamour for additional usage and functionality in a camera that is NOT required by many (stills photographers) would be made to pay for their part of the ride.

It's like going on a cruise ... passage in cabin with sea view does not cause (significantly) higher cost to the cruise company than passengers in a "inner" cabin.  But the price charged is hugely different. Simply, because users of the outward cabin get extra functionality/pleasure.

tolusina

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 05, 2013, 10:17:13 AM »

Oh sheet, thats what I wear when riding my fixed gear.
Er, "fixie", a newbie, Hipster term I just can't absorb. Maybe, If I ever convert my Mixte to fixed gear, I might call that "fixte".
40 on 6

pedro

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 05, 2013, 10:22:09 AM »

So my revised wish would be to have a 6D or 60D crammed into the old retro AE-1 Program body and priced around the same price or less of a 6D or 60D if it were APS-C.  That would be fun.  That's all.  Fun.  For those with disposable income that want a nostalgic fun camera.  Don't beat me up about whether adding video costs more or not, recovering R&D budgets, market segments, etc.

It would just be fun to see and I might even buy one if it used my current lenses and flash.

RustTheGeek: you hit the nail. That was my second thought after pushing post: But it's more expensive than the Canon 6D. So what...;-) Hope they'll come out with a low res AE-1ish retro product. I like these buttons and stuff. So, come on Canon bring it on, but don't cash in on us for the retrolook...Lol... 18MP, very usable ISO 102K. Might be too much of wishful thinking... 8)
30D, EF-S 10-22/ 5DIII, 16-35 F/2.8 L USM II, 28 F/2.8, 50 F/1.4, 85 F/1.8, 70-200 F/2.8 classic,
join me at http://www.flickr.com/groups/insane_isos/

Hesbehindyou

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 05, 2013, 10:27:11 AM »
A true test would be for CaNikon  to sell say the 6D and D610 each in a video-enabled" "v"-version and a "p"- pure photography version with absolutely everything equal, including outer design, except video-capture/video out [not firmware hackable]. "p" version being sold at USD/€ 1500  and the "v" version at 2500.  One grand more is still dirt cheap compared to purchase of both a video and a stills camera. THAT way, we would see, whether videographers are just cheapskates piggybacking on stills shooter's DSLRs or whether they are willing to pay at least for a portion of their desired dual-use cameras.

How can you miss the point? I'll put it simply:

Selling in volume reduces costs per camera. By a lot.

Thus if having video features increases sales a lot then that camera is /cheaper/ than if it didn't include video (and sold a lot less).

When you say the stills version should cost less you are being ignorant; a stills version would cost more than the 'dual use' version we have now simply because it wouldn't take advantage of the economies of scale in both manufacturing, distribution and retail.

The video guys aren't piggybacking on you; you're piggybacking on them!

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #42 on: November 05, 2013, 10:27:11 AM »

Albi86

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 05, 2013, 10:32:27 AM »
If I were a Nikon afficionado, for the same price, why would I buy a Df over a D800?

Or would I buy the Sony a7 AND the Zeiss 24-70/4 for the same price?

Nikon went all wrong on two important things: AF and MP.

You can't sell a camera for 3K in (almost) 2014 and have the same AF module of a middle-range consumer camera from the last generation (D5200).

With the performance of the 24MP D600/D610 sensor, it is all to be demonstrated what we're buying at the price of 8 MP, and if it's worth it. Better to buy a D800 and resize the files to 16MP. This camera doesn't offer amazing fps either, so the advantages of lower resolution are...?

As a final touch, a kit would be welcome with a better lens than the 50mm/1.8 - the 1.4 version, at least? Please?

nazdar

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 05, 2013, 10:40:09 AM »
"...why Canon seems to care more about the videographer than the photographer now."
What?!? Canon gives a Sh*t on videographers! They setup just very medicore and crippled quality for videographers with tons of moiré, aliasing and barlely HD resolution all in beatifully mash-o-rama of horrible codec and low color bit depth. This is not quality Canon picture as we know it from photography. Its a gimmick. Instead of Canon company some enthusiasts from Magic Lantern helped for free to change video quality and finaly open the holly grail of RAW videography for few models. Thats it. I highly doubt you will get better photo camera if there will be no video in Canon cameras.
Even Nikon has better video quality in their cameras. I think you should blame somebody else  :D
« Last Edit: November 06, 2013, 11:53:25 PM by nazdar »
400D, old Nikkor-S Ai 50/1.4, Nikkor Ai 35/2,  Nikkor Ai 85/2, Sigma 17-70/2.8-4 ... Ixus 120

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #44 on: November 05, 2013, 10:40:09 AM »