October 25, 2014, 03:06:51 AM

Author Topic: When discontinued, does lens price go up or down?  (Read 3465 times)

Grumbaki

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
Re: When discontinued, does lens price go up or down?
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2013, 02:45:40 AM »
I wonder how much Canon 50mm f1 cost now a day ::)

The cheapest I found in HK last month was roughly 5k USD for mint and 4K for very good condition.

Yeah, I was just curious.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2013, 02:45:40 AM »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2013, 09:25:14 AM »
...unless you bought it for real cheap off someone else who's parting with a huge loss.

That's pretty much the only way I buy used gear.  I pay no more than 70% of the current new price, and have bought like-new lenses for 50% of new price.  Overall net buying/selling used, I'm in the black...enough to cover the losses I took when selling lenses bought new.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2013, 10:10:31 AM »
The point of selling it at such a low price now is so you don't have to sell it at an even lower price later...

Just saw a listing on my local CL for a new, unused white box 24-105L from a 5DIII kit - selling for $550.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

sunnyVan

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2013, 06:04:04 PM »
The point of selling it at such a low price now is so you don't have to sell it at an even lower price later...

Just saw a listing on my local CL for a new, unused white box 24-105L from a 5DIII kit - selling for $550.

Oh boy. ....
6D, 24-70 2.8L II, 16-35 F4L IS, 17-40L, 100 2.8L, 70-200L F4 IS, 85 1.8, 135L, Sigma 35 1.4, 600Ex-RT, Rokinon 14mm, EOS M

K13X5C

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2013, 07:56:49 PM »
So, it's been established that you're not going to get what you paid for that lens. After all, when you buy any lens new it's not easy to get what you paid for it within a few years. And a lens that Canon is kicking the legs out from under? Forget about it.

Selling it now won't get you the price you want, but at least you'd get some use out of the money already spent. And that's a win. Spend the $600 or $650 you get for it and buy a used lens that will appreciate in value in the next few years or use that same $600 to buy and sell several lenses in the next few years. I've had some real nice glass go through my kit over the years and I've essentially paid nothing for them. In fact if I had to sell everything now...completely cash out, I'd get my initial investment back and then some.

Sell that 24-105, take the loss, and buy something used that you can have fun with.
Think about what you'll gain, and not about that temporary loss.

sunnyVan

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 08, 2013, 09:57:31 PM »
So, it's been established that you're not going to get what you paid for that lens. After all, when you buy any lens new it's not easy to get what you paid for it within a few years. And a lens that Canon is kicking the legs out from under? Forget about it.

Selling it now won't get you the price you want, but at least you'd get some use out of the money already spent. And that's a win. Spend the $600 or $650 you get for it and buy a used lens that will appreciate in value in the next few years or use that same $600 to buy and sell several lenses in the next few years. I've had some real nice glass go through my kit over the years and I've essentially paid nothing for them. In fact if I had to sell everything now...completely cash out, I'd get my initial investment back and then some.

Sell that 24-105, take the loss, and buy something used that you can have fun with.
Think about what you'll gain, and not about that temporary loss.

Good advice.  Thx. Hopefully I can sell at a reasonable price. It's gonna go towards a sigma 24 Art if rumor is true.
6D, 24-70 2.8L II, 16-35 F4L IS, 17-40L, 100 2.8L, 70-200L F4 IS, 85 1.8, 135L, Sigma 35 1.4, 600Ex-RT, Rokinon 14mm, EOS M

Methodical

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2013, 12:49:59 AM »
I say cut it loose now or wait until after the holidays to see if fierce competition continues.  Price it right and in different forums at the same time and it will sell.  If you do sell, do when while Canon doesn't have any deals on them.  I recently sold mine for $650 and there was a lot of competition out there from the used market, kit lens sales and Canon refurbs and 15% off deals.  Mine was in pristine condition though.  I ate the shipping and paypal fees to sweeten the deal.  I also sold the 200 2.8 and 50 1.8.  The 50 went fast, but the 200 took a couple weeks or so to sell.  The competition is fierce this time of year though.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2013, 12:49:59 AM »