April 16, 2014, 07:47:37 AM

Author Topic: Buying "dodgy" American Canon camera gear?  (Read 2281 times)

TrabimanUK

• Rebel T5i
  • In the words of Brian Johnson - "Shoot to thrill!"
    • View Profile
Buying "dodgy" American Canon camera gear?
« on: November 06, 2013, 11:10:27 AM »
Ok, American camera gear isn't dodgy, it's all totally ligitimate, BUT it's a hell of a lot cheaper than it is in the UK (less that $ for £ in many cases)!

My question is, now that I have got your attention, "Is there any risk of buying Canon cameras and lenses in America when I live in England?"

Basically, I am planning to be in Vegas in February (I know, prices in Vegas are expensive, but B&H / Adorama, etc. ship to hotel rooms) and I am planning to acquire a couple of lenses and a body - camera body, not the usual Vegas type of "body"  ;)

Your odd voltage and her majesty's customs and excise issues aside, are there any issues with using "American" gear in the UK, such as waranties or support?

Cheers, Grant  :)
Canon 5D, 60D, 40D, 400D-IR, 50 f1.8, 70-200 f2.8 IS II, 70-300 f4-5.6 IS USM 
Sigma 10 F2.8 EX DC DIAGONAL FISHEYE HSM, 24-70 f2.8 IF EX DG HSM

canon rumors FORUM

Buying "dodgy" American Canon camera gear?
« on: November 06, 2013, 11:10:27 AM »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
Re: Buying "dodgy" American Canon camera gear?
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2013, 11:20:23 AM »
Tecnhically, warranty coverage for dSLRs and lenses is NOT worldwide.  A camera bought in North America has warranty coverage in North America, in the UK it would be considered 'grey market' just as if you had it shipped from Hong Kong.  Having said that, at least here in the USA, Canon apparently honors warranty claims if you have proof of purchase.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

distant.star

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Tracy's Shooting Gallery
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2013, 11:40:56 AM »
Disclaimer: I know nothing about this.

Based on some posts I've read here you may want to check into B&H New York accepting your "foreign" credit card for delivery here. It may be no issue at all, but it would be a shame to see your shopping strategy stopped cold because of something that could have been anticipated and prepared for.

Just a thought.
Walter: Were you listening to The Dude's story? Donny: I was bowling. Walter: So you have no frame of reference here, Donny. You're like a child who wanders into the middle of a movie and wants to know...

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2013, 11:48:42 AM »
I know, prices in Vegas are expensive, but B&H / Adorama, etc. ship to hotel rooms

I missed this - but I'm not sure that they do. Their policy doesn't say, but it used to say they do not ship to hotels (so either they changed the policy, or they just changed the help pages).  Might want to inquire with them.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

viggen61

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2013, 11:49:22 AM »
One issue is the battery charger. AFAIK, most of Canon's US-destined gear comes with a charger with the US prongs built-in (at least for the cameras that take the LP-E6). It will work on EU power (it's universal in that respect), but you'll need a plug adapter.
Canon 7D

TrabimanUK

• Rebel T5i
  • In the words of Brian Johnson - "Shoot to thrill!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2013, 11:56:10 AM »
Hi guys,

thanks for your repsonses. 

OK, if it's effectively a "grey market" import, then I just have to decide if I want to take the risk, though for the savings it could be well worth it.

I checked with Adorama and B&H and they both said that they would ship to hotel rooms, I just had to contact them before the order to give them a head's up so that they didn't reject the order.

Thanks for the point about "foreign" credit cards - will check that out!

all the best,

Grant  :)
Canon 5D, 60D, 40D, 400D-IR, 50 f1.8, 70-200 f2.8 IS II, 70-300 f4-5.6 IS USM 
Sigma 10 F2.8 EX DC DIAGONAL FISHEYE HSM, 24-70 f2.8 IF EX DG HSM

lw

• PowerShot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2013, 12:11:34 PM »
I think some things like the warranty on L lenses will be honoured in the UK.

Unlikely as it is these days, be prepared to pay VAT if you get stopped at the airport and you are over your allowance.
But these days you are unlikely even to see a customs officer, yet alone get stopped...

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2013, 12:11:34 PM »

Drizzt321

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Aaron Baff Photography
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2013, 12:51:23 PM »
Hi guys,

thanks for your repsonses. 

OK, if it's effectively a "grey market" import, then I just have to decide if I want to take the risk, though for the savings it could be well worth it.

I checked with Adorama and B&H and they both said that they would ship to hotel rooms, I just had to contact them before the order to give them a head's up so that they didn't reject the order.

Thanks for the point about "foreign" credit cards - will check that out!

all the best,

Grant  :)

You're credit card will also likely charge you a foreign currency exchange transaction. Don't know how you'd get around that. American Express travelers cheques that you mail them next day? I dunno...
5D mark 2, 5D mark 3, EF 17-40mm f/4L,  EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, EF 135mm f/2L, EF 85mm f/1.8
Film Cameras: Mamiya RB67, RB-50, RB-180-C, RB-90-C, RB-50, Perkeo I folder, Mamiya Six Folder (Pre-WWII model)
http://www.aaronbaff.com

awinphoto

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • AW Photography
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2013, 01:07:49 PM »
I've sold my used canon gear to my wife's family in the UK...  He got a simple converter for the UK outlets to work with the USA charger...  The differences in voltage isn't a problem.  Warranties may be an issue, if you need them...  that may be a thing you contact the service centers in the USA and determine, if needed, that it may be cheaper to ship back to the USA center in New Jersey or Virginia compared to shipping to the UK and dealing with any additional fee's, if any.  Of course, after a year when the warranty expires, then it wouldn't matter either way.  Good luck
Canon 5d III, Canon 24-105L, Canon 17-40L, Canon 70-200 F4L, Canon 100L 2.8, 430EX 2's and a lot of bumps along the road to get to where I am.

traveller

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2013, 02:16:21 PM »
You're effectively buying grey import and going to a lot of trouble to do it; just order from DigitalRev or HDEW and get a UK spec camera (actually, it might be Australian spec, but will come with the right plug!  :) ). The better importers (i.e. not those on Ebay) will often offer their own warranty.

dstppy

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2013, 02:18:35 PM »
I know, prices in Vegas are expensive, but B&H / Adorama, etc. ship to hotel rooms

I missed this - but I'm not sure that they do. Their policy doesn't say, but it used to say they do not ship to hotels (so either they changed the policy, or they just changed the help pages).  Might want to inquire with them.

Simple, just buy it from the store.

New York is way better than Las Vegas anyhow  ;D
Canon Rumors is presently creating photographer shortages in Middle Earth (all the trolls emigrated here)

Lurker

• PowerShot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2013, 02:24:32 PM »
I'd also check with your credit card company to make sure the charge doesn't get flagged/denied as fraud.  It may look a little dodgy to them to have a UK card make a purchase in NY that is to be shipped to Vegas.

zim

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2013, 03:12:31 PM »
You're effectively buying grey import and going to a lot of trouble to do it; just order from DigitalRev or HDEW and get a UK spec camera (actually, it might be Australian spec, but will come with the right plug!  :) ). The better importers (i.e. not those on Ebay) will often offer their own warranty.

+100

+ No hassle from the rozzers at customs and you get to play (practice) with your new toys before your holiday

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2013, 03:12:31 PM »

Don Haines

• 1D X
  • Posting cat pictures on the internet since 1986
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2013, 07:51:17 PM »
Voltage and frequency will not be a problem for the charger.... The LC-E6 charger works from 100 to 240VAC and will work on 50 or 60 Hz..... but you will need a plug adaptor to use it in the UK....
The best camera is the one in your hands

WPJ

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2013, 09:02:46 PM »
So how much will your total save be?

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2013, 09:02:46 PM »