October 23, 2014, 03:41:28 PM

Author Topic: EF-s prime lenses?  (Read 4954 times)

Pi

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • Math and Photography
Re: EF-s prime lenses?
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2013, 04:30:19 PM »
Canon wants you to buy an FF body, and you should listen...

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2013, 04:30:19 PM »

RAKAMRAK

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2013, 05:48:39 PM »
The original question should be modified to etc. etc......"
I think canon 14mm F2.8 (about U.S. $ 2,360) is not appropriate for users of 70D for example. The Canon 24mm F1.4 (about U.S. $ 1,750) also seems disproportionate to APS-C cameras. And the wonderful TS-E 17mm f / 4 is not really very appealing to APS-C cameras, mainly because it costs $ 2500. I'm sure users of SL1 would appreciate lenses like EF-S 22mm F2, or EF-S 8mm F2.8 (rectilinear).

Of course you are right, but did you miss my second paragraph? I myself am an APS-C shooter (and shall remain so in the foreseeable future) and would immensely love a very wideangle (as you mentioned). But as my second paragraph in the earlier post "presumes" Canon is not interested in what me or (may be) you would like to have. We are not "serious enough" for them apparently.
Need to learn a lot more.
My Flickr Page

chilledXpress

« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2013, 06:43:22 PM »
The original question should be modified to why canon is not developing any UWA prime for EF-S EOS cameras - something like a 8mm rectilinear or 10 mm or 12 mm. Especially given the claim that EF-S mount with its smaller mirror helps to engineer wide angle lenses. Above 20mm whether a prime is EF or EF-S only does not really matter - does it?

Regarding the UWA primes, my guess is Canon is thinking "if you want serious wide angle for whatever type of photography you do, you need to be "serious" and move up to Full Frame and make my profits larger. Others who use APS-C like you are happy with zooms and I am not going to structure a new production line just for you."

Sigma makes a sweet selection of UWA for the APS-C format. People knocked them before they started up with the 35mm and new makeover but in the UWA offerings they have been very well received. When I used my 7D's the 10-20 and the 8-16 were perfect. I love my 15mm Rect Fish for the FF, using it on both the 1DX and 5D3.

paul13walnut5

« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2013, 07:06:48 PM »
I liked my Sigma 10-20, I liked my Sigma 12-24.  I love my Tokina 11-16. 

RAKAMRAK

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2013, 07:21:51 PM »
Sigma makes a sweet selection of UWA for the APS-C format. People knocked them before they started up with the 35mm and new makeover but in the UWA offerings they have been very well received. When I used my 7D's the 10-20 and the 8-16 were perfect. I love my 15mm Rect Fish for the FF, using it on both the 1DX and 5D3.

Yes they do. But the OP was looking for "Canon" lenes. Good to hear good words about 8-16 from someone who have used it. I wanted to buy it but finally went with the Tokina 12-24 f/4 last year. May be in future I will go for the sigma 8-16.
My Flickr Page

RAKAMRAK

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2013, 07:23:23 PM »

Correct, no matter whether one needs it or not..... go full frame...
My Flickr Page

paul13walnut5

« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2013, 07:42:58 PM »
I'm toying with the 8-16 as a next purchase.  Concenred about filtering (essential for my video work, perhaps not on a c100 if the budget ever gets signed off!, I miss built in ND's!) and the small max aperture...

But love the potential.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2013, 07:42:58 PM »

captainkanji

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 06, 2013, 07:43:08 PM »
I went full frame and will never go back.  Curse you Canon! (shakes fist)
Canon 6D, Meike battery grip, Black Rapid Strap
EF 40mm f/2.8, EF 50mm f/1.4, EF 135mm f/2L USM, EF 200mm f/2.8L II USM, 430EX II Speedlite
HDR photos look best when I can't see them.

ajfotofilmagem

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 06, 2013, 07:59:49 PM »

I think that companies should listen to their customers to not be beyond their expectations and make products that will be a failure (EOS M anyone?). Consumers should also listen to the companies? Of course you do! If a company demonstrates not believe in the future of a product line, we must be careful not to buy products that will serve only as a paperweight. To this day I wonder why stopped to manufacture DVD VIDEO RECORDERS household. Yes, now you can record video to hard disk for notebooks, but is not as immediate as practical and record your favorite programs directly to DVD. I know many people who have MINI-DV tapes, HI8, VHS, and can not find a device to copy to DVD. There is demand, but manufacturers have abandoned these consumers without offering a BLURAY VIDEO RECORDER that could satisfy them. Knowing that APS-C sells much more than full frame, does not seem a good idea to let your consumers abandoned. If Canon does not, sigma will do. Call me stubborn, but it is not true that one day all APS-C users will jump to full frame. This is not reality in my country, and in almost every planet. In the USA full frame is the rule, and Japan mirrorles is the trend, but the rest of the world APS-C is used by both advanced amateurs who prefer lighter equipment, and professionals who do not earn $ 100,000 per year....
« Last Edit: November 06, 2013, 08:04:45 PM by ajfotofilmagem »

candc

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 06, 2013, 08:00:57 PM »
to me aps-c is the one with the lens advantages, ff only takes ff lenses, aps-c takes both so there are more choices,

candc

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 06, 2013, 08:04:29 PM »
I'm toying with the 8-16 as a next purchase.  Concenred about filtering (essential for my video work, perhaps not on a c100 if the budget ever gets signed off!, I miss built in ND's!) and the small max aperture...

But love the potential.

the 8-16 is fantastic, the images it makes are better than 12-24 on full frame.

paul13walnut5

« Reply #26 on: November 06, 2013, 08:12:03 PM »
Would it be a huge ask to post a grab of a pic set at 8mm and a pic set at 11mm.

I'm really very delighted with my Tokina, but if the extra 3mm makes a substantial difference (which at this end of the FL's it is likely to) then I might be trying to convice Santa about my behaviour this year.

Pi

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • Math and Photography
« Reply #27 on: November 06, 2013, 08:13:12 PM »

And when you need fast wide primes, stay with crop, because you "need" it.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: November 06, 2013, 08:13:12 PM »

RAKAMRAK

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 06, 2013, 08:14:49 PM »

I think that companies should listen to their customers to not be beyond their expectations and make products that will be a failure (EOS M anyone?). Consumers should also listen to the companies? Of course you do! If a company demonstrates not believe in the future of a product line, we must be careful not to buy products that will serve only as a paperweight. To this day I wonder why stopped to manufacture DVD VIDEO RECORDERS household. Yes, now you can record video to hard disk for notebooks, but is not as immediate as practical and record your favorite programs directly to DVD. I know many people who have MINI-DV tapes, HI8, VHS, and can not find a device to copy to DVD. There is demand, but manufacturers have abandoned these consumers without offering a BLURAY VIDEO RECORDER that could satisfy them. Knowing that APS-C sells much more than full frame, does not seem a good idea to let your consumers abandoned. If Canon does not, sigma will do. Call me stubborn, but it is not true that one day all APS-C users will jump to full frame. This is not reality in my country, and in almost every planet. In the USA full frame is the rule, and Japan mirrorles is the trend, but the rest of the world APS-C is used by both advanced amateurs who prefer lighter equipment, and professionals who do not earn $ 100,000 per year....

You forgot that there is no other market or no other country.... only USA market... professionals and advanced amateurs in other countries!!!.... which species are they? How could they be professional if they do not use Full Frame and L lenses .... by definition professional = Full Frame + L Lenses.
My Flickr Page

candc

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 06, 2013, 08:52:14 PM »
Would it be a huge ask to post a grab of a pic set at 8mm and a pic set at 11mm.

I'm really very delighted with my Tokina, but if the extra 3mm makes a substantial difference (which at this end of the FL's it is likely to) then I might be trying to convice Santa about my behaviour this year.

it will flare shooting into the sun but i love how wide and sharp it is

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: November 06, 2013, 08:52:14 PM »