September 03, 2014, 04:32:15 AM

Author Topic: UWA: Tokina vs Rokinon  (Read 3416 times)

abcde12345

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
Re: UWA: Tokina vs Rokinon
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2013, 03:46:16 PM »
I have the Samyang (Rokinon) 14mm on 6D. This is a great lens, with excellent sharpness and very low price. However, you have to keep in mind that 14mm on FF is VERY wide! I am very happy to have it and I have never regretted buying it, but I can't say it's my most used lens since it is often just too wide. It really depends on how wide you want to go; the 16-28mm FOV is much more practical, but the 14mm is much more unique!
Also, do you have other wide angle lens? For instance, if you already have a 24mm, I would recommend more easily the 14mm than if your widest lens is a 50mm!
I have a 28-75mm walk-around lens. Just wondering, does it mean that you don't really use this lens, except perhaps for landscapes? Are there any other time you use it?

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2013, 03:46:16 PM »

Artifex

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2013, 05:32:07 PM »
I have the Samyang (Rokinon) 14mm on 6D. This is a great lens, with excellent sharpness and very low price. However, you have to keep in mind that 14mm on FF is VERY wide! I am very happy to have it and I have never regretted buying it, but I can't say it's my most used lens since it is often just too wide. It really depends on how wide you want to go; the 16-28mm FOV is much more practical, but the 14mm is much more unique!
Also, do you have other wide angle lens? For instance, if you already have a 24mm, I would recommend more easily the 14mm than if your widest lens is a 50mm!
I have a 28-75mm walk-around lens. Just wondering, does it mean that you don't really use this lens, except perhaps for landscapes? Are there any other time you use it?

Since it's so wide, it's not as versatile as a more "traditional" focal length. I use it not only for landspace, but also for group photos (especially with big groups and limited space), bands, "over-the-top" portrait, etc. For me, it is a speciality lens, a bit like a rectilinear fish-eye; it can't be used in any situation, but when it can, it's astonishing. That's the reason why I bought a used 28mm a month after I got a 6D; the gap between 14mm and 35mm was too big. I guess it really depends on the person.
IMO, you should be okay with 14mm and 28-75mm; 28mm on FF is pretty wide, and when it's not enough, there's no doubt that 14mm is going to be! You lose the versatile of the ultra-wide zoom, but gain the widest lens you can imagine (excluding fish-eyes). Not to mention that it is literally half the price! Moreover, if you have decided to upgrade to FF to gain wider FOV, the 14mm is really the thing to have. Of course, the best would be to have both, but if you are like me, it's going to have to wait a bit.
I hope this help.  :)
6D, 550D; Samyang 14mm f/2.8, Zuiko 28mm f/3.5, Samyang 35mm f/1.4, Zuiko 50mm f/1.8, Sears 55mm f/1.4, Helios 44-2 58mm f/2, Canon 85mm f/1.8, Carl Zeiss Jena 135mm f/3.5, Kenko Extension Tubes.

StudentOfLight

• EOS M2
  • I'm on a life-long journey of self-discovery
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2013, 02:26:28 PM »
If I'm following correctly then I believe you will be shooting crop with the lens that you buy, with the view of going full-frame in the near future.

Samyang 14mm on a crop body is quite useful and reasonably wide. Once you upgrade to full frame the 14mm might not be as useful anymore because you will see more of the distorted image-circle. I still use mine more on my crop-body. If you plan on shooting structures/cityscapes then rather look at other options because the sharpness doesn't make up for the distortion on full frame.

Tokina's 16-28 is great on full frame with its outstanding optics. It might not be wide enough for you on a crop body though.
Fantasy Gear:
TS-E: 45mm f/2.8 L-II,  EF: 40mm f/0.8,  100mm f/1.4,  35-85mm f/1.8, 
EF with 1.4xInt: 100-300mm f/4 ,  500mm f/5.6 L

abcde12345

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2013, 03:23:00 PM »
If I'm following correctly then I believe you will be shooting crop with the lens that you buy, with the view of going full-frame in the near future.

Samyang 14mm on a crop body is quite useful and reasonably wide. Once you upgrade to full frame the 14mm might not be as useful anymore because you will see more of the distorted image-circle. I still use mine more on my crop-body. If you plan on shooting structures/cityscapes then rather look at other options because the sharpness doesn't make up for the distortion on full frame.

Tokina's 16-28 is great on full frame with its outstanding optics. It might not be wide enough for you on a crop body though.
I've pulled the trigger and got myself a 6D!  ;D So yeah, looking at full frame UWA from now. Does it have so much distortion that it's annoying?

StudentOfLight

• EOS M2
  • I'm on a life-long journey of self-discovery
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2013, 08:13:11 AM »
In some scenes it can be a problem, e.g. buildings/structures where the viewer expects to see straight lines. In natural scenes you can compose your shot so that the existence of distortion is not really visible to the viewer.

Linked is a sample image in the built-environment and the presence of distortion is quite clear:  http://www.4photos.de/test/Samyang-14mm-Wellenfoermige-Verzeichnung-.jpg

Since you are already FF, I believe the Tokina is the better option and will be a more versatile lens purchase. It will be way more useful most of the time. It might be a better option to rent a 14mm on the odd occasion when you might need it. There are options for distortion correction but you will inevitably lose sharpness as a result. It is better to shoot a cleaner image in-camera than to try and manufacture it afterwards.
Fantasy Gear:
TS-E: 45mm f/2.8 L-II,  EF: 40mm f/0.8,  100mm f/1.4,  35-85mm f/1.8, 
EF with 1.4xInt: 100-300mm f/4 ,  500mm f/5.6 L

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2013, 08:13:11 AM »