August 01, 2014, 08:09:54 PM

Author Topic: Nikon drops sales forecast as high-end camera market stalls  (Read 7346 times)

Lichtgestalt

Nikon drops sales forecast as high-end camera market stalls
« on: November 07, 2013, 11:57:10 AM »
http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/11/07/nikon-earnings-idUSL3N0IR39F20131107?type=companyNews

Nov 7 (Reuters) - Nikon Corp cut its full-year unit sales forecast for high-end cameras for the second quarter in a row on Thursday, as a dramatic fall in demand among photography hobbyists that began last year accelerated faster than expected.

The company posted a 41 percent drop in operating profit to 21.9 billion yen ($222 million) for the six months ended September, saying overseas demand for pricy single-lens reflex models had remained depressed.

It cut its unit sales projection for interchangeable lens cameras to 6.20 million from a previous forecast of 6.55 million, which had predicted the first fall in sales of the format since Nikon's first digital SLR in 1999.

A sharp downturn in the single-lens reflex camera market this year has come as a blow to companies such as Nikon and market leader Canon Inc, after the shrivelling of the compact camera market as consumers switched to smartphones for taking photos. Nikon's imaging unit's operating profit slid 26 percent in the first half to 30.9 billion yen.

Nikon also cut its sales forecast for steppers, multi-million dollar lithography machines that are a vital part of the semiconductor manufacturing process, to 36 from an earlier forecast of 37 machines, saying it had felt the impact of a drop in capex among chipmakers. Operating profit in its precision instruments unit fell 48.2 percent to 3.7 billion yen.

The Japanese firm now claims less than a fifth of the market, down from less than 40 percent a decade ago, as Dutch rival ASML Holdings NV has gained a share of over 80 percent.

financial results:

http://www.nikon.com/about/ir/ir_library/result/pdf/2014/14_2qf_c_e.pdf

when you look at the numbers and reports from nikon it seems nikon was also very busy cutting production cost this year to keep the operating income relatively(!) close to the forecast. 
« Last Edit: November 07, 2013, 12:08:57 PM by Lichtgestalt »

canon rumors FORUM

Nikon drops sales forecast as high-end camera market stalls
« on: November 07, 2013, 11:57:10 AM »

Albi86

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
Re: Nikon drops sales forecast as high-end camera market stalls
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2013, 12:08:01 PM »
The news being...?

Every manufacturer has cut profit forecasts.

Lichtgestalt

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2013, 12:10:29 PM »
The news being...?

the news is... that the report was released today.  ::)

if it was about canon.. all the DRones, MPicklers would be all over it again.  ;D
they knew it before, canon has to do something or customers will all switch to nikon, blahblah...

camera manufacturer.

leica too?
« Last Edit: November 07, 2013, 12:28:25 PM by Lichtgestalt »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2013, 12:26:17 PM »
By the numbers:

• Nikon reported a 1H-FY13 (Mar-Aug, 2013) drop in y/y unit sales of dSLRs of ↓28.5%
  • Canon reported a 2Q13 and 3Q13 (Apr-Sep, 2013) drops in y/y unit sales of dSLRs of ↓4% and ↓3%, respectively

So for a similar 6-month period, Nikon had an 8-fold greater drop in unit sales compared to Canon.  Nikon's already-lower dSLR market share is dropping fast...
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

preppyak

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2013, 12:30:04 PM »
By the numbers:

• Nikon reported a 1H-FY13 (Mar-Aug, 2013) drop in y/y unit sales of dSLRs of ↓28.5%
  • Canon reported a 2Q13 and 3Q13 (Apr-Sep, 2013) drops in y/y unit sales of dSLRs of ↓4% and ↓3%, respectively

So for a similar 6-month period, Nikon had an 8-fold greater drop in unit sales compared to Canon.  Nikon's already-lower dSLR market share is dropping fast...
Which is interesting, considering that, by the specs, they released the two more interesting DSLRs of the last year (D800 with big MP, and D600 for cheap). Seems like innovating on the camera body side of things isnt enough to get people to buy.

Lichtgestalt

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2013, 12:34:25 PM »
By the numbers:

• Nikon reported a 1H-FY13 (Mar-Aug, 2013) drop of y/y unit sales of dSLRs of ↓28.5%
  • Canon reported a 2Q13 and 3Q13 (Apr-Sep, 2013) drops of y/y unit dSLRs of ↓4% and ↓3%, respectively

Which is interesting, considering that, by the specs, they released the two more interesting DSLRs of the last year (D800 with big MP, and D600 for cheap). Seems like innovating on the camera body side of things isnt enough to get people to buy.

or people are clever enough to realize that for 13x18cm prints or flickr/facebook uploads a 36 MP camera is just overkill.
it only slows down your editing process and you need lot of harddisk space.

let´s be honest, most people do 10x15cm or 13x18cm prints 98% of the time.
even with a lot of cropping you don´t need 36 MP for that.

the "oil of nikon" D600 has kind of a bad reputation.

« Last Edit: November 07, 2013, 12:36:47 PM by Lichtgestalt »

jcns

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2013, 02:55:48 PM »
i saw tons of people buy DSLR in the last few years.
Most used as overpriced P&S because they did not know what SLR's are capable or did not have interest in learning or did not have time. 
Given that many P&S and smartphone cameras have "effects"to get the desired effect they realized that they do not need no longer needed a DSLR to shoot, download and edit.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2013, 02:55:48 PM »

Lichtgestalt

« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2013, 03:12:40 PM »
i saw tons of people buy DSLR in the last few years.
Most used as overpriced P&S because they did not know what SLR's are capable or did not have interest in learning or did not have time. 
Given that many P&S and smartphone cameras have "effects"to get the desired effect they realized that they do not need no longer needed a DSLR to shoot, download and edit.

i have a friend who bought a 600D because he liked my pictures.

now he is complaining that everything is "so unsharp" with his DSLR when he takes pictures for his ebay auctions.

i (tried to) teach him about aperture but he still doesn´t really gets why, with his 190 euro P&S everything was sharp and now his pictures are "unsharp". :)

"there must be a way this DSLR makes sharp photos from back to front without all this raising ISO because of smaller aperture stuff ... or buying a speedlight??"

DOF is some strange concept for people who only shoot with a P&S before.  ;)

he also complains that his images don´t show as much details as mine. "you are sure this camera is not broken? your camera makes much better images".
his problem is, when he does portraits the head only occupies 1/6 of the frame and then he crops like mad. told him a few times to get closer... he makes the same errors again and again.

some people really don´t need a DSLR.
he likes my macro and portrait shots but even after 16 month he still takes pictures in P mode.
and he wonders that with the "expensive" DSLR his images doesn´t look much better then with his 190 euro P&S. for him light is light..... you only need enough. :)

i still try to teach him a bit.... but it´s hard work.

« Last Edit: November 07, 2013, 03:31:16 PM by Lichtgestalt »

Sporgon

• 1D X
  • 5% of gear used 95% of the time
    • View Profile
    • www.buildingpanoramics.com
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2013, 03:37:34 PM »
The simple fact is there are many, many people who like the idea of seeing through their camera's lens.

Canon know this; this is why they introduced the great little 100D/SL1 and were late to the mirrorless party.

I'll make a prediction: in the near future Canon will fit a pentaprism into their Rebel bodies to provide a brighter view without the 'cold' image given by the pentamirror.

The sales figures must be alarming for Nikon when they compare with Canon.

skullyspice

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
    • Photojensen.com
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2013, 04:11:48 PM »
not to worry, the Df will turn that all around for them
5D3, 1vHS, 1nRS, F-1N x6, Fuji X-T1, Fuji X100
50 F1.2L, 100 F2.8L Macro, 200 F2.8L, 40 F2.8, 17-40 F4L, 24-105 F4L, 70-300 F4-5.6L
www.photojensen.com

waving_odd

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2013, 04:48:28 PM »
...saying overseas demand for pricy single-lens reflex models had remained depressed...

So which one is the following is true?

• Their R&D (esp. the Df team) and Sales are not communicating
  • Non-overseas (Japan local) market is different
  • They think USD 2650 is not pricey for their target customer
  • Somehow they think the Df is not the average Joe's DSLR
  • They don't care about the dropped demand
  • All of the above
  • None of the above
  • :o ??? ::) :-\
« Last Edit: November 07, 2013, 04:51:29 PM by waving_odd »

Kernuak

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Avalon Light Photoart
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2013, 04:54:27 PM »

now he is complaining that everything is "so unsharp" with his DSLR when he takes pictures for his ebay auctions.

i (tried to) teach him about aperture but he still doesn´t really gets why, with his 190 euro P&S everything was sharp and now his pictures are "unsharp". :)

"there must be a way this DSLR makes sharp photos from back to front without all this raising ISO because of smaller aperture stuff ... or buying a speedlight??"

DOF is some strange concept for people who only shoot with a P&S before.  ;)

he also complains that his images don´t show as much details as mine. "you are sure this camera is not broken? your camera makes much better images".

i still try to teach him a bit.... but it´s hard work.
Yet many people like this do buy DSLRs and think they can take the same photos that professionals can.
Canon 5D MkIII, 7D, 300mm L IS f/2.8 and a few other L's

YuengLinger

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2013, 05:06:36 PM »
I belong to a BIG UNIVERSITY photo club.  Just recently, the old topic of copyright protection came up.  When I mentioned "print," the whole room went silent and people looked puzzled.

Also:  Just last week attended a workshop on natural light wedding photography.  The teacher, a successful (about $90k per year) wedding photographer in her early 30's never sells albums.

The point of these two anecdotes:  Nikon's big 36MP sensor, and all the magic of the current generation of great lenses by Canon, Nikon, Sigma, and Tamron, is completely lost not only on the smartphone generation, but also on their parents and grandparents who see little screens as the only way of sharing images these days.

We are facing a world where books are for eccentrics, craft is for a tiny percentage of elite Hollywood and museum gallery erudites, and expensive dSLR's are for maniacs.

That said, I can tell you EVERY time I shoot an event or just happen to have my 5D3 with me, strangers comment on the quality of the camera, know the model, express envy...But they have learned that having a dSLR does not automatically produce the magical images they think they are entitled to, even if they have no clue about composition, lighting, etc, etc...

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2013, 05:06:36 PM »

unfocused

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Unfocused: A photo website
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2013, 05:12:48 PM »

Hah! I know you're being sarcastic, but I do find something very interesting.

I just checked the Amazon Best Sellers and the Df is nowhere to be found. Now, I know that it is only available for pre-sale, but I also recall that in the past, Amazon included cameras that were yet to be released, so long as they were taking orders for them (5DIII and 6D for example)

Maybe Amazon has changed their policies or maybe the Df is a bust. I don't know.

BTW I continue to be stunned that the 5DIII remains in the top 10 sellers (#7 today) given that it is more than $2,000 more expensive than most of the other best sellers.
pictures sharp. life not so much. www.unfocusedmg.com

Lichtgestalt

« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2013, 06:28:46 PM »

sarcasm? :)

But the bad news doesn’t stop there, it continues to roll with rumors of lackluster Df pre-sales published by Nikon Rumors. NR claims that unofficial info from several retailers has Df demand “not even close” to what D800 demand was when it came out.

To substantiate that claim, NR points out that the Df isn’t even in the top 20 best-selling DSLRs on Amazon, while the D610 (not exactly the most popular release Nikon has ever had, given all of the pissed off D600 users) is up at number 14.

http://petapixel.com/2013/11/08/nikon-cuts-sales-forecast-yet-dslr-sales-stall-df-preorders-come-subpar/

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2013, 06:28:46 PM »