April 21, 2014, 10:07:23 AM

Author Topic: Fuji x100s + Canon Speedlites?  (Read 10305 times)

JohnDizzo15

• 7D
    • View Profile
Re: Fuji x100s + Canon Speedlites?
« Reply #75 on: November 14, 2013, 01:29:49 PM »
$1300 to open doors to more shooting opportunities/possibilities vs what I've invested for my Canon kit that doesn't? Also, I consider the fact that I have a closet full of lenses each of which cost around the price of the x100s or more? In a nutshell, just do it!

I think this is a point not many take into consideration. Most of my Canon lenses are more costly than the X100S... in the end, it's such a minor investment that it was hard not to buy.

The rumored FF fixed is not what I want or need, pretty much have that covered at this point... I may not even need a Fuji FF ILC, it's more of a want than a need. The thing about this X100S is that it opened doors for me that nothing else I own did. It met a need and a want all at the same time.

With the GAS situ (I suffered for years), I collected cameras... Canon, Rollies, Leica, Nikon. Much of which stays tucked away in Pelicans or in cases. You only have two hands and can carry so much... I began to realize what was important was finding gear that helped not hindered. My Canon's help with work, the X100S helps with the family and everything else I enjoy about photography. It brought me back to the days when I only had my dad's old 35mm, beat to hell and I didn't care. It was easy and fun, I enjoyed taking pictures for the sake of taking pictures. It wasn't about bodies and lenses at that time, somewhere I got a bit lost and afflicted with GAS. I'm recovering now, baby steps... at first it was hard to not carry the backpack, the 5D3 and yea a second 5D3, oh...and the 50, and the 135, oh...yea the 70-200 might need that and while I'm at it better take the 24-70... it was a vicious cycle. It is totally liberating, I reach for the little Fuji and then grab the diaper bag... that's it!

So you goona start that thread John or should I? Dylan and John, you guys on Flickr? Local to Cali? I use Flickr for social stuff, camera clubs and meet ups... you guys every done any of that? Check page 4 of this thread... I have my profile info there if you're interested.

I actually tried to send you a PM from my phone but just checked my sent messages and realized it didn't send. Wasn't trying to ignore that post. lol.

Anyhow, I do have a Flickr account but nothing on it really. My buddy has been trying to get me to register at 500px. Will link up with you on Flickr once I start using it regularly. Most of my stuff is for family and friends at this point so FB (as lame as it is) and emails are where most of my stuff goes. No clubs. My buddy keeps trying to get me to come out to meet with the locals from FB (here in Cali) for their monthly meets but haven't gotten felt inclined enough to use one of my hall passes for it yet.

I'll leave the other post to you. Wasn't sure of exact title or where it would be best served to post to (categorically).

Re the Fuji, it really does take me back to basics and relieves me of all my concern about what I need to pack. I seriously have just the cam and a battery in my pocket now. I had been going through the same thing you mentioned as far as packing goes. Oh I'll need this, but wait, what if I need that....

Some more specifics on the mental work I did when making the decision to buy the Fuji. Before pulling the trigger, I had a 50mm lens in each of my hands and one sitting in front of me totalling roughly 4k in cost all together. I was trying to decide which one I wanted to take out that day or if I should just bring two. At this point, the light bulb goes off and the epiphany sets in. For about the cost of any one of those three 50mm (or the 24, 35, 85, etc etc), I cured myself of this thought process and freed myself.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #75 on: November 14, 2013, 01:29:49 PM »

chilledXpress

« Reply #76 on: November 14, 2013, 02:13:54 PM »
Got your message, can't reply though, CR doesn't have your contact info... I'll stick with John to keep it safe  ;)

No worries about Flickr, totally understand. I don't do Facebook anymore, it's been about a year off that site for me. I use Flickr for basically the same thing, sharing photos with the family and the social aspect. I do enjoy the meet-ups, I've done quite a few of them in San Francisco, San Jose and Santa Cruz. I've met a lot of great photographers through the years. Just this last May I actually met up with some California and Hawai'i Flickr contacts while in Maui. For the last 15 or so years we always go to the islands so I'm pretty well versed on the standard sites but this was the first time I got to go to places and shoot areas not on the usual list... all due to meeting local photographers. It was an invaluable experience and now have some Big Island and Kauai invites, looking forward to next year already.

I'll think about the thread and open one up... Wonder how it will go over on a Canon site.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2013, 02:15:47 PM by chilledXpress »

JohnDizzo15

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: November 14, 2013, 04:51:54 PM »

I'll think about the thread and open one up... Wonder how it will go over on a Canon site.

I for one can say that I wished that there were a thread like that when the x100s first came out. I have been a Canon loyalist for a long time and have the closet to prove it. But if there is one thing that I am loyal to above all else (with regard to photography), is anything that will help me capture the best images I can get in a given set of circumstances. It is sometimes hard for us (Canon guys) or anyone else who is invested in an ecosystem to see outside of that box. It took months and months of chatter from my buddy to get me to even take a serious look at Fuji. If there existed a thread like the one you will be creating or this one, I think the decision would have been a lot easier for me since being a Canon guy, I got very little information about other brands based on the places on the net I used to frequent.

I'm a firm believer in simply using the best tool for the job. This cam happens to be a perfect meeting of the being the best tool at the right price for me. It would please me to be able to help others who are looking for something similar to see the light which took me a while to see. I honestly wish I would have ordered one of these months ago now.

Regardless of how much I love this thing, I am still holding onto most of my Canon kit as there is still a lot that it can/will do for me. I've come to the realization in the last few days (after a lot of self-debate) that Canon will eventually make some major updates/innovations to their bodies and I want to still have the glass around to be prepped for it. I'm not dying or in a hurry to get the next big thing and I know it will come when it comes. I'll be patient in that regard.

Tech is tech. And if history tells us anything, the cycle will continue which will require that Canon ultimately counter attack with something new at some point. Not that the 5D3 isn't awesome, it's appeal just doesn't force me to put the Fuji down at the moment. But when Canon puts out the big megapixel camera or new sensor tech that sets the new industry standard, the innovations may be so incredible that I'll once again be inclined to pull out the big rig. Until then, this Fuji will keep me busy.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2013, 05:00:16 PM by JohnDizzo15 »

Dylan777

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • http://www.dylanphotography.phanfare.com/
« Reply #78 on: November 14, 2013, 05:43:28 PM »
X200 previous rumors came true, just under another name. This one can too ("x100FF"?)

Should be fixed FF. X100S proved that there is a market for fixed lens but the price point will be very delicate.

I'll still control myself and wait, but it'll be a win anyway as, if i'm not into the x200, there will be a price drop in x100s to enjoy.

Other determinant points will be the lens of course but if the keep the end result (35mm f2) I'd be in.

As much as I enjoy current x100s, I do look forward for that rumor(FF x100s) with fixed 35mm. Current x100s body and button layout are perfect. Keep it thin as current x100s. Little bit wider to compensate for 35mm sensor is ok with me.

Dylan, you need to stop posting that beautiful picture of the x100s.  You're going to end up making me drop $1300 ha ha

SORRY Pinchers of Peril. Would this help :P

Seriously, if budget is allowed, the x100s is really fun to carry around.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2013, 05:45:00 PM by Dylan777 »
Body: 5D III(x2) -- A7r
Zoom: 16-35L II -- 24-70L II -- 70-200L f2.8 IS II
Prime: 40mm -- 50L -- 85L II -- 135L -- 400L f2.8 IS II -- Zeiss FE 55mm f1.8

chilledXpress

« Reply #79 on: November 14, 2013, 08:52:21 PM »
Same here John... as much as I love the Fuji, I'm never going to give up my Canons. Well, may sell the 1DX to fund a serious jump into a FF ILC from Fuji but I'm not in any rush. The X100S fits exactly where it needed to in my kit. The image quality got me into the Xpro1 but it's not as "nice" as the 100. It's also verging on being another backpack of gear I don't need to deal with. That may be the same situation with FF version. Don't even get me started with the Rollie... film is a whole nother world of gear I didn't really "need".

JohnDizzo15

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: November 15, 2013, 11:05:45 PM »
Earlier today

JohnDizzo15

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: November 16, 2013, 01:31:27 PM »
Thought it might be interesting to show the in cam jpeg that was captured simultaneously. No edit. Just size reduction.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #81 on: November 16, 2013, 01:31:27 PM »

Dylan777

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: November 17, 2013, 12:23:02 AM »
Thought it might be interesting to show the in cam jpeg that was captured simultaneously. No edit. Just size reduction.

My 5yrs daughter plays with X100s today: http://albums.phanfare.com/isolated/qc1xA6LP/1/6314988

Here are some photos taken by her: http://albums.phanfare.com/isolated/aAGqKXK2/1/6315013#imageID=202460201

JohnDizzo15

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: November 17, 2013, 01:34:08 AM »

My 5yrs daughter plays with X100s today: http://albums.phanfare.com/isolated/qc1xA6LP/1/6314988

Here are some photos taken by her: http://albums.phanfare.com/isolated/aAGqKXK2/1/6315013#imageID=202460201

That's awesome! :D

I don't trust my 7 yr old son with any of my gear. You are a better man than I. Nice shots in both links. She did a great job. Thanks for the share.

JohnDizzo15

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: November 18, 2013, 02:15:04 AM »
macro mode testing.

btw, daughter dropped my fuji today. no damage sustained....whew

Pinchers of Peril

• Rebel T5i
  • Shoot first ask questions later
    • View Profile
    • PS Photography
« Reply #85 on: November 18, 2013, 05:09:04 PM »
macro mode testing.

Your daughter is just getting you back from when you hit her in the head with your old heavy camera gear ha ha
Canon 5D Mark III, 85 1.2 II, 70-200 2.8 IS II, 16-35 2.8 II, 50 1.4, 40mm pancake www.paulandsunny.blogspot.com

JohnDizzo15

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: November 19, 2013, 06:34:38 PM »
macro mode testing.

Your daughter is just getting you back from when you hit her in the head with your old heavy camera gear ha ha

Must be the case. Lol.

Decided to play with the in-cam miniature (ts look mimicking) mode. Built in ND filter applied. Sample attached.

chilledXpress

« Reply #87 on: November 20, 2013, 12:10:27 AM »
Nice, never really played with the special effects package... Ill have to give it a try now. Not sure where to open a thread for X100S pictures. Was thinking about naming it "Fuji X-series photos from Canon Guys" though.

Here is one of my son in the backyard using Cactus V triggers and Lastolite Softboxes with 580exII's. All manual with the internal ND...

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #87 on: November 20, 2013, 12:10:27 AM »

Dylan777

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: November 20, 2013, 01:02:49 AM »
Nice, never really played with the special effects package... Ill have to give it a try now. Not sure where to open a thread for X100S pictures. Was thinking about naming it "Fuji X-series photos from Canon Guys" though.

Here is one of my son in the backyard using Cactus V triggers and Lastolite Softboxes with 580exII's. All manual with the internal ND...

Fast enough for rope jumping ;)

JohnDizzo15

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: November 20, 2013, 12:13:13 PM »
@chilled - awesome shot. I've been loving having the built-in ND. It is absolutely priceless.

@dylan - it is definitely fast enough for action which is one of the things that has been surprising me. stunningly fast for mirrorless.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #89 on: November 20, 2013, 12:13:13 PM »