November 22, 2014, 11:57:43 AM

Author Topic: Fuji x100s + Canon Speedlites?  (Read 16336 times)

JohnDizzo15

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
Fuji x100s + Canon Speedlites?
« on: November 07, 2013, 03:26:17 PM »
So I've taken the plunge and ordered a Fuji x100s which will be arriving tomorrow. The biggest factors for me that justified the price tag and stray from my Canon gear are the leaf shutter, built-in ND filters, and size/convenience factor.

However, to make full use of the leaf shutter and it's oh so awesome qualities, I need to now figure out what kind of wireless flash setup I will need.

I already have 580exII x 2 and a 430ex along with 2 sets of Yongnuo YN622 ETTL radio triggers. I just wanted to know if anyone else has used a similar setup with the x100s or whether you've tested it and had it not work out. If it's worked out well for you, how is it?

canon rumors FORUM

Fuji x100s + Canon Speedlites?
« on: November 07, 2013, 03:26:17 PM »

Dylan777

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
Re: Fuji x100s + Canon Speedlites?
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2013, 03:33:54 PM »
Just want to say CONGRATS on x100s ;)

To me, Fuji makes great retro body style. You will fall in love with this camera. I did.

Body: 1DX -- 5D III
Zoom: 16-35L f4 IS -- 24-70L II -- 70-200L f2.8 IS II
Prime: 40mm -- 85L II -- 135L -- 200L f2 IS -- 400L f2.8 IS II

JohnDizzo15

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2013, 03:50:09 PM »

To me, Fuji makes great retro body style. You will fall in love with this camera. I did.

They definitely do. I initially wrote off the whole concept a couple years back when the x100 first came out as just another hipster accessory piece. But when the x100s came out, my buddy preordered one and has been in my ear about it ever since. Upon checking it out, I must say that I was/am thoroughly impressed.

The thought of being able to have something that was an all in one package that would allow me to do things like 1/1000th flash sync while shooting wide open (and higher stopped down), accompanied by built-in ND filters was amazing. This, along with all the other awesomeness that I can't even begin to mention made the x100s a no brainer.

Have you shot it with offshoe flash at high synch speeds at all?

chilledXpress

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2013, 04:11:55 PM »
I use Cactus V and PW MiniTT1 & FlexTT5... in addition to old skool ETTL cables. They all sync to 1/1000 at f/2. For the money and ease of use I stick with the Cactus V system. You can add many flashes (I've done up to 5 speedlites) and I have yet to run into any problems. The Cactus V's never fail and I can't say that for the PWs for both the X100s and my Canon gear. Your Yongnuo YN622 should work fine... that leaf shutter is a Strobist dream. I'd also suggest an extra 2 stop ND... you'll then get 2 stop, 3 stop and 5 stop capabilities to extend f/2 work. You will need to make a profile for the internal 3 stop and 2 stop combo to eliminate any cast from stacked filters. Easy though. I also tape a 1/4 CTO gel over the on board flash to help when I go with it alone. Enjoy the new acquire!

My standard street carry...

EDC Camera Bag... by David.K.M, on Flickr
« Last Edit: November 07, 2013, 04:24:56 PM by chilledXpress »

pulseimages

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2013, 04:26:29 PM »
I should rent a x100s to see what I'm missing. Wish Fuji would release a version with built in IS or a version with a zoom lens. :)

JohnDizzo15

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2013, 04:29:09 PM »
I use Cactus V and PW MiniTT1 & FlexTT5... in addition to old skool ETTL cables. They all sync to 1/1000 at f/2. For the money and ease of use I stick with the Cactus V system. You can add many flashes (I've done up to 5 speedlites) and I have yet to run into any problems. The Cactus V's never fail and I can't say that for the PWs for both the X100s and my Canon gear. Your Yongnuo YN622 should work fine... that leaf shutter is a Strobist dream. I'd also suggest an extra 2 stop ND... you'll then get 2 stop, 3 stop and 5 stop capabilities to extend f/2 work. You will need to make a profile for the internal 3 stop and 2 stop combo to eliminate any cast from stacked filters. Easy though. I also tape a 1/4 CTO gel over the on board flash to help when I go with it alone. Enjoy the new acquire!

Awesome little walk around setup you have there. Thanks for the info re setup.

Which ND filter are you using and is it possible for you to post a pic of the CTO gel taped on?

Eli

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
    • http://500px.com/elindaire
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2013, 04:29:48 PM »

Did you sell your rx1?

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2013, 04:29:48 PM »

chilledXpress

« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2013, 04:33:56 PM »

Which ND filter are you using and is it possible for you to post a pic of the CTO gel taped on?

I use a B+W 2 stop... in the image I posted you can see that the onboard flash has the gel on it. Never take it off. Clear taped a 1/4 CTO over the frame. Works wonders. My Flickr page is for family pics and personal work but you can find many photos I took of my son testing out the leaf... also some street work with a single 580exII. After about 4 months I'd have to say it's my go to rig when going minimalist or out to hunt street shots.

JohnDizzo15

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2013, 04:37:10 PM »
I should rent a x100s to see what I'm missing. Wish Fuji would release a version with built in IS or a version with a zoom lens. :)

I've only had limited experience with it as I've only played with a friend's (will have more to say about it after tomorrow). I can tell you though that it is absolutely awesome for what it is. I can't say that it is for everyone. But if you have a very clear understanding of what it is you like to do and the x100s meets those needs, it is hard to beat.

Again, leaf shutter (nuff said), built in 3 stop ND, super compact, best APS-C sensor to date (at least many believe it to be so), and great ergonomics (just to name a few).

The only real knock I had with it while playing was the video side (doesn't give you full manual control and options are limited). I personally won't be using it for any amount of serious video which is why it is still a perfect cam for me. The fact that I can do quick video captures in a pinch is sufficient for me. But I would say there are plenty of other options in this class if video functionality is something you are really concerned with.

JohnDizzo15

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2013, 04:39:38 PM »

I use a B+W 2 stop... in the image I posted you can see that the onboard flash has the gel on it. Never take it off. Clear taped a 1/4 CTO over the frame. Works wonders. My Flickr page is for family pics and personal work but you can find many photos I took of my son testing out the leaf... also some street work with a single 580exII. After about 4 months I'd have to say it's my go to rig when going minimalist or out to hunt street shots.

Ohhhh I see it now. I wasn't looking very carefully. lol.

I have an odd feeling that it will also turn into the rig I reach for regularly on most days.

Dylan777

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2013, 04:50:00 PM »

They definitely do. I initially wrote off the whole concept a couple years back when the x100 first came out as just another hipster accessory piece. But when the x100s came out, my buddy preordered one and has been in my ear about it ever since. Upon checking it out, I must say that I was/am thoroughly impressed.

The thought of being able to have something that was an all in one package that would allow me to do things like 1/1000th flash sync while shooting wide open (and higher stopped down), accompanied by built-in ND filters was amazing. This, along with all the other awesomeness that I can't even begin to mention made the x100s a no brainer.

Have you shot it with offshoe flash at high synch speeds at all?
I don't own any flash.  Just natural light

Dylan777

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2013, 04:51:11 PM »

Did you sell your rx1?
My wife took my rx1.

Eli

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
    • http://500px.com/elindaire
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2013, 06:19:22 PM »

Did you sell your rx1?
My wife took my rx1.

How do they compare with each other? What do you like more about the fuji or sony?

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2013, 06:19:22 PM »

JohnDizzo15

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2013, 04:36:42 PM »
2.5 hours in my hands and in love already.

Dylan777

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2013, 05:21:56 PM »

Did you sell your rx1?
My wife took my rx1.

How do they compare with each other? What do you like more about the fuji or sony?

I don't think it a fair fight between x100s vs RX1. The RX1 performs better in lower light or should I say in darkness ;)

Still, I do find x100s is an excellent camera for indoor photo: http://dylanphotography.phanfare.com/6252127#imageID=198679037

If Fuji x100s has 35mm sensor built-in, I would take x100s over RX1 for two reasons. Retro body and better JPEP file straight out from camera.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2013, 05:21:56 PM »