November 26, 2014, 11:41:07 AM

Author Topic: Fuji x100s + Canon Speedlites?  (Read 16528 times)

Dylan777

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
Re: Fuji x100s + Canon Speedlites?
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2013, 05:24:54 PM »
2.5 hours in my hands and in love already.

Awesome...post some pics ;)

I bought this cheap silver hood + filter on ebay and it turns out great: http://www.ebay.com/itm/221279367022?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

BIGGER QUESTION - what are you going to do with crappy EOS-M?  ;D ;D ;D
« Last Edit: November 08, 2013, 05:30:47 PM by Dylan777 »
Bodies: 1DX -- 5D III
Zooms: 16-35L f4 IS -- 24-70L II -- 70-200L f2.8 IS II
Primes: 40mm -- 85L II -- 135L -- 200L f2 IS -- 400L f2.8 IS II

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2013, 05:24:54 PM »

JohnDizzo15

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2013, 05:40:18 PM »

I bought this cheap silver hood + filter on ebay and it turns out great: http://www.ebay.com/itm/221279367022?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

Will post some later when I get some time. No camranger support. Otherwise I would :D

I got a cheap adapter/hood combo off amazon. Need to figure out a cap solution now though. What do you use?

Just going to hold onto the m. It was cheap enough and I probably won't get a whole lot for it on the used market anyway. Will be nice to keep around in case I need a crop sensor for my tele canon glass.

Btw, which filter are you using in cam for the office shots you had in that link?

chilledXpress

« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2013, 05:43:42 PM »

Fallin fast  :D lookin forward to some new post! Never use a cap, just went with a B+W filter and hood... Works perfectly and quicker to shoot with. A thumb grip works nicely too, went and bought about 3 different ones... Finally found a good fit from Lensmate.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2013, 05:49:46 PM by chilledXpress »

JohnDizzo15

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2013, 05:50:52 PM »

Fallin fast  :D lookin forward to some new post! Never use a cap, just went with a B+W filter and hood... Works perfectly and quicker to shoot with.

I had considered that option but shied away from it since I can't stand uv filters. Might have to go that route though since I can't have the adapter ring with hood any other way.

Tested out the trigger/speed lite combo. Works like a charm.

Just curious, any settings recommendations?

chilledXpress

« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2013, 06:19:42 PM »

Fallin fast  :D lookin forward to some new post! Never use a cap, just went with a B+W filter and hood... Works perfectly and quicker to shoot with.

I had considered that option but shied away from it since I can't stand uv filters. Might have to go that route though since I can't have the adapter ring with hood any other way.

Tested out the trigger/speed lite combo. Works like a charm.

Just curious, any settings recommendations?

Well, I've found I don't like the results as much when you let the X100S drive. So I use it primarily as a manual camera. Manual shutter speed, Ap, ISO and much of the time manual AF... mine tends to over expose too much for my taste. ISO 400 is pretty much my goto setting and I shoot in RAF(RAW) but many like the jpegs. I also switched the Fn button to quick access the ND.

It eats batteries, I have 4 when heading out for the day. Usually only go through 2 but have used 3 before. One second you have a full battery, next it's three bars, then instantly blinking red... at that point you got about 20 seconds left. It's the LCD on the back that does it. If you switch it off and access it when you want rather than let it choose you save power and it becomes frugal with the energy. I at first used the eye sensor but when using a strap, your body will keep it active.

Give that onboard some usage. It is really way more useful than any Canon I've used. It can provide a really nice fill without looking very "DMV" like. It's also surprisingly powerful with a leaf shutter.

Here is a shot with the sun behind, internal ND and only the CTO'd onboard...

A day in Santa Cruz...

I'll be keeping an eye out for this thread and see how it went this weekend... Have fun out there!
« Last Edit: November 08, 2013, 06:25:36 PM by chilledXpress »

Dylan777

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 08, 2013, 07:29:16 PM »

Will post some later when I get some time. No camranger support. Otherwise I would :D

I got a cheap adapter/hood combo off amazon. Need to figure out a cap solution now though. What do you use?
Just going to hold onto the m. It was cheap enough and I probably won't get a whole lot for it on the used market anyway. Will be nice to keep around in case I need a crop sensor for my tele canon glass.

Btw, which filter are you using in cam for the office shots you had in that link?
I have UV filter installed and I don't use any cap.

I still use the M as P&S camera at work.

The photos in office were PP as film vintage style. No filter
« Last Edit: November 08, 2013, 07:30:59 PM by Dylan777 »
Bodies: 1DX -- 5D III
Zooms: 16-35L f4 IS -- 24-70L II -- 70-200L f2.8 IS II
Primes: 40mm -- 85L II -- 135L -- 200L f2 IS -- 400L f2.8 IS II

JohnDizzo15

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 09, 2013, 11:25:59 AM »
So I haven't had a whole lot of time to take very many shots/play as my wife is apparently not happy that I have acquired yet another camera. Anyway, here are a few I managed to sneak in around the house. Not the most captivating images, but it's what I have at the moment in the way of preliminary results.

@chilled - I haven't shot enough to notice the battery issue. But I did pick up two extras off amazon that are now charged up and ready to go (took forever to fully charge). Nice shot BTW and great sample of how the feature set can be used. I have been shooting a combo of raw and jpeg. Like both. Still trying to figure out which is the best software for editing the raw files.

CTO gel is en route from amazon.

I'm finding so far that I don't like dealing with the MFD and having to switch to macro mode. Many times, I wasn't trying to shoot that close up and found that it would not capture focus. Also, macro mode is terribly soft wide open which I already read about but was surprised by still for some reason.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: November 09, 2013, 11:25:59 AM »

JohnDizzo15

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 09, 2013, 11:28:13 AM »

JohnDizzo15

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 09, 2013, 11:28:53 AM »

chilledXpress

« Reply #24 on: November 09, 2013, 08:48:43 PM »
She's a cutie, that's your daughter? I actually laughed out loud when I read about your wife's response. Mine has given up, she just smiles. I took a photo of her years ago when I went to a camera shop to try out the 85L II... it was just as I lifted it to take the first shot and she asked how much it was... the picture was priceless. I saw such disgust in her eyes  :D

Yea, macro kinda blows. I never use it much and it was pretty well a known when I bought it. It is odd that they left it like an afterthought. Same goes for the video, it's rather meh. Fortunately for me I bought it to shoot people and street scenes and rarely flowers or video. I like some of the push pulls images with in-camera PP. Especially pulling up the shadows and dropping highlights. 

Here, I used astia and a little push/pull for a little vintage look...

Bath time... by David.K.M, on Flickr

JohnDizzo15

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 10, 2013, 12:55:54 AM »
She's a cutie, that's your daughter? I actually laughed out loud when I read about your wife's response. Mine has given up, she just smiles. I took a photo of her years ago when I went to a camera shop to try out the 85L II... it was just as I lifted it to take the first shot and she asked how much it was... the picture was priceless. I saw such disgust in her eyes  :D

Yea, macro kinda blows. I never use it much and it was pretty well a known when I bought it. It is odd that they left it like an afterthought. Same goes for the video, it's rather meh. Fortunately for me I bought it to shoot people and street scenes and rarely flowers or video. I like some of the push pulls images with in-camera PP. Especially pulling up the shadows and dropping highlights. 

Here, I used astia and a little push/pull for a little vintage look...

Bath time... by David.K.M, on Flickr

Haha. I think we have all been there with the wife at least several times. Mine hasn't exactly given up yet. I've had to sneak 5 minutes here and there all day today so as to not keep the thought of the new cam in the forefront of her mind.

Thank you re my daughter. I see you've got a little one as well lol. Nice shot btw.

I haven't had a chance to test out the push pull processing in cam but look forward to messing with it as soon as I can play freely without worrying about being scolded with looks. I will say though that she has been happy with some of the images out of the new cam. Hopefully that eases her attitude about it at some point.

Agreed re the video. I still have the M which does just fine for quick captures esp with the 22 stm. I don't actually need the macro as I'm not all that into it.

My issue is with the need for macro mode when I'm not necessarily all that close. I wish there were at least a more pronounced notification of when I'm close enough to require the switch to macro mode without having to attempt to use the AF first (perhaps a change in border color). At least that way, I can just know to switch sooner without having to wait and find out only after AF failure. I like to shoot a lot up close with that FL so it is kind of a pain when I am a few inches too far in and don't realize it till I see red. I suppose with time, I'll just know when I'm there just based on feel.

Finally noticed the battery issue this evening. It was really odd that it went from a full battery and then drained so quickly before I could realize I was even getting low. I was completely surprised when it was shutoff time.

Finally had a chance to get outside with it and tested out the onboard flash (without gel) and results were okay but inconsistent. Output seemed to be very weak (as expected) and slight changes in angle of shooting made huge differences. I was able to get a couple of keepers though. I assume that will get better with more experience.

Also, I love the bw jpeg output. I think I'm almost convinced that I could just shoot monochrome with this thing all the time and be content.

« Last Edit: November 10, 2013, 10:09:57 AM by JohnDizzo15 »

JohnDizzo15

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 10, 2013, 07:35:03 PM »
Got about another 30 shots or so in today. So I think some of my issues could theoretically be fixed with firmware tweaks in the future. But who knows. It would be helpful when in AF-C mode to get some type of notification of macro distance (perhaps imaging area turning a different color).

My assumption (and I may very well be incorrect in my thinking), is that the MFD to macro distance transition is such so as maintain focusing speed by cutting out a portion of the focusing distance range much like many slr telephoto zooms or macro lenses (i.e. 100L and 70-200L). It would be useful if a firmware addition could be to eliminate the transition and give you the whole distance range without switching modes at the cost of some focusing speed.

My logic may very well be flawed and I was wondering if I could get some opinions on this.

Also tested out the 90ex flash I got from the M kit with the x100s. Although you do get much more light out of it than the onboard, you can only get one shot (then requires powering off and back on to get another flash actuation). Not very useful, I know. But thought I would share that in case anyone was ever wondering about 90ex functionality on the fuji.

pulseimages

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 11, 2013, 01:25:34 AM »
I should rent a x100s to see what I'm missing. Wish Fuji would release a version with built in IS or a version with a zoom lens. :)

I've only had limited experience with it as I've only played with a friend's (will have more to say about it after tomorrow). I can tell you though that it is absolutely awesome for what it is. I can't say that it is for everyone. But if you have a very clear understanding of what it is you like to do and the x100s meets those needs, it is hard to beat.

Again, leaf shutter (nuff said), built in 3 stop ND, super compact, best APS-C sensor to date (at least many believe it to be so), and great ergonomics (just to name a few).

The only real knock I had with it while playing was the video side (doesn't give you full manual control and options are limited). I personally won't be using it for any amount of serious video which is why it is still a perfect cam for me. The fact that I can do quick video captures in a pinch is sufficient for me. But I would say there are plenty of other options in this class if video functionality is something you are really concerned with.

I like that's it's a fixed lens. It forces you to get creative and view things differently. :)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: November 11, 2013, 01:25:34 AM »

wayno

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 11, 2013, 02:21:00 AM »
 I find my x100s to be a bit better at AFing (and noise!) than my 5d3 in low light.
At a party it's a wild camera. Canon flash works well in fully manual but it does feel a bit like a sledgehammer when a small mallet would have been just fine. I love my Fuji.

wayno

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 11, 2013, 02:22:48 AM »
and as far as fixed lenses go, 35mm is about as flexible as there is - for me, at least!

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: November 11, 2013, 02:22:48 AM »