October 21, 2014, 01:53:20 PM

Author Topic: Fuji x100s + Canon Speedlites?  (Read 15691 times)

JohnDizzo15

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
Re: Fuji x100s + Canon Speedlites?
« Reply #30 on: November 11, 2013, 11:08:55 AM »
I personally love the 35mm FL as well if I had to be stuck at one.

Was looking at some more compact options for flash that could be easily carried around with the x100s all the time and was wondering if anyone in here had any experience with the Fuji EF-X20 or EF-20 flashes? Looks like the XF-20 can be tilted to 90 deg for bounce.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: November 11, 2013, 11:08:55 AM »

JohnDizzo15

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 11, 2013, 03:28:37 PM »
Took this about a half hour ago with the yn622 and 580exii at 1/8th.

justsomedude

• Canon 6D
  • 5D3, 6D and 7D2
    • View Profile
    • AK Photo - Denver Photographer
« Reply #32 on: November 11, 2013, 03:53:06 PM »

Do you know if the 600ex-rt work with the yn622?

I just got an x100 and would love to incorporate some off-camera flash, but I dumped all my 580s for 600s this past summer.  :/

JohnDizzo15

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 11, 2013, 05:23:01 PM »
The yn622 is compatible with the 600rt so it should theoretically work in manual just like the 580ii.

Dylan777

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 11, 2013, 05:27:40 PM »

Very cute ;) It looks like you having fun ;D

I have two (2.5 & 5yrs)
« Last Edit: November 11, 2013, 05:29:58 PM by Dylan777 »
Body: 1DX -- 5D III
Zoom: 16-35L f4 IS -- 24-70L II -- 70-200L f2.8 IS II
Prime: 40mm -- 85L II -- 135L -- 200L f2 IS -- 400L f2.8 IS II

chilledXpress

« Reply #35 on: November 11, 2013, 05:27:47 PM »
Got about another 30 shots or so in today. So I think some of my issues could theoretically be fixed with firmware tweaks in the future. But who knows. It would be helpful when in AF-C mode to get some type of notification of macro distance (perhaps imaging area turning a different color).

My assumption (and I may very well be incorrect in my thinking), is that the MFD to macro distance transition is such so as maintain focusing speed by cutting out a portion of the focusing distance range much like many slr telephoto zooms or macro lenses (i.e. 100L and 70-200L). It would be useful if a firmware addition could be to eliminate the transition and give you the whole distance range without switching modes at the cost of some focusing speed.

My logic may very well be flawed and I was wondering if I could get some opinions on this.

Also tested out the 90ex flash I got from the M kit with the x100s. Although you do get much more light out of it than the onboard, you can only get one shot (then requires powering off and back on to get another flash actuation). Not very useful, I know. But thought I would share that in case anyone was ever wondering about 90ex functionality on the fuji.

Hi John, looks like you had fun this weekend. That battery situ got ya??!?! yea, it's pretty surprising how fast it happens. I just keep a few fully charged and no swap them out the second it drops from full to 3 bars as that usually means about 30 seconds left.

I think the Macro situ can't really be dealt with easily with a firmware fix. It's all fly-by-wire so unlike a focus limiter on any Canon lenses, I think there has to be a way to tell the body...Macro, then switch it up. But I don't really know. I rarely shoot that close and never shoot flowers these days, so not really too much of an issue for me.

Interesting to hear about the 90ex. I don't own it so that's good to know. I hear good things about Fuji's little flash option but I have tons of Canon's so would probably not go that route. I own 430exII's, 580exII's and a couple of 600's. All work well with the Cactus system but I'm unsure about any others.

The flash output consistency is odd as I have never had that happen with mine and I usually bump it down as far as it can go so power is ok for me. I do know that hood gets in the way quite a bit so If I have to use the onboard I take it off, other wise you get some odd results.

JohnDizzo15

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 11, 2013, 10:46:48 PM »

I have two (2.5 & 5yrs)

Thank you :D

2.5 and 5 year old? I hope it's not as painful an experience as the one I have over here with my 1 and 7 year old.

It has been fun this weekend shooting with the new rig. I almost hate to say it, but I don't know that I'll be reaching for my other rig very often for a while unless there is some very specific thing I need to do that I can't figure out a way to accomplish with the Fuji.

I have been very impressed with the IQ and noise handling even at higher ISOs. The AF is plenty fast for almost all applications that I encounter regularly and it is jam packed with most of the tools I'll need on the fly.

The fact that it also works well with my existing lighting equipment is even better. That leaf shutter + ND filter.....I just can't say enough about them.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #36 on: November 11, 2013, 10:46:48 PM »

JohnDizzo15

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 11, 2013, 10:50:14 PM »
Got about another 30 shots or so in today. So I think some of my issues could theoretically be fixed with firmware tweaks in the future. But who knows. It would be helpful when in AF-C mode to get some type of notification of macro distance (perhaps imaging area turning a different color).

My assumption (and I may very well be incorrect in my thinking), is that the MFD to macro distance transition is such so as maintain focusing speed by cutting out a portion of the focusing distance range much like many slr telephoto zooms or macro lenses (i.e. 100L and 70-200L). It would be useful if a firmware addition could be to eliminate the transition and give you the whole distance range without switching modes at the cost of some focusing speed.

My logic may very well be flawed and I was wondering if I could get some opinions on this.

Also tested out the 90ex flash I got from the M kit with the x100s. Although you do get much more light out of it than the onboard, you can only get one shot (then requires powering off and back on to get another flash actuation). Not very useful, I know. But thought I would share that in case anyone was ever wondering about 90ex functionality on the fuji.

Hi John, looks like you had fun this weekend. That battery situ got ya??!?! yea, it's pretty surprising how fast it happens. I just keep a few fully charged and no swap them out the second it drops from full to 3 bars as that usually means about 30 seconds left.

I think the Macro situ can't really be dealt with easily with a firmware fix. It's all fly-by-wire so unlike a focus limiter on any Canon lenses, I think there has to be a way to tell the body...Macro, then switch it up. But I don't really know. I rarely shoot that close and never shoot flowers these days, so not really too much of an issue for me.

Interesting to hear about the 90ex. I don't own it so that's good to know. I hear good things about Fuji's little flash option but I have tons of Canon's so would probably not go that route. I own 430exII's, 580exII's and a couple of 600's. All work well with the Cactus system but I'm unsure about any others.

The flash output consistency is odd as I have never had that happen with mine and I usually bump it down as far as it can go so power is ok for me. I do know that hood gets in the way quite a bit so If I have to use the onboard I take it off, other wise you get some odd results.

The battery definitely got me. Twice now as a matter of fact. So odd. I will definitely be changing out batteries as soon as I see any change in the battery indicator from now on. Hope they change the way it reads.  Not a very useful measure at this point lol.

I have several canon speedlites in my kit as well but I was hoping to find something more compact that would go relatively unnoticed when running and gunning with it attached. The speedlites would definitely not be that. I like the Fuji x20 since it tilts. But not sure how much output you could get out of it to even be bouncing off the ceiling.

Will test the onboard some more and hope that I get a better handle on it. Will post more as I find out more.

JohnDizzo15

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 12, 2013, 01:48:21 AM »
One more for the road. 1/1000th + 580 off shoe at camera right. Wasn't quite what I wanted but had no chance to tweak since my son was over it (as you can see from the expression).

Also, my apologies to anyone who is sick of seeing my kids over and over again. I am not a pro and they are my main day to day subjects.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2013, 01:50:16 AM by JohnDizzo15 »

Dylan777

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 12, 2013, 09:45:33 AM »

I have two (2.5 & 5yrs)

2.5 and 5 year old? I hope it's not as painful an experience as the one I have over here with my 1 and 7 year old.

It has been fun this weekend shooting with the new rig. I almost hate to say it, but I don't know that I'll be reaching for my other rig very often for a while unless there is some very specific thing I need to do that I can't figure out a way to accomplish with the Fuji.
I have been very impressed with the IQ and noise handling even at higher ISOs. The AF is plenty fast for almost all applications that I encounter regularly and it is jam packed with most of the tools I'll need on the fly.

The fact that it also works well with my existing lighting equipment is even better. That leaf shutter + ND filter.....I just can't say enough about them.

+1...not a lot of people understand it though

With 2 kids, the last thing I want to do is to carry 5D III + 24-70 to disneyland. I have Sony A7 + Zeiss 55mm on pre-order. If this camera works out as I planned, I might just end up with one 5D III + 135L and 70-200 for shooting kids running around.(selling list will be: 5D III, 50L, 85L II, and 24-70).
Body: 1DX -- 5D III
Zoom: 16-35L f4 IS -- 24-70L II -- 70-200L f2.8 IS II
Prime: 40mm -- 85L II -- 135L -- 200L f2 IS -- 400L f2.8 IS II

WPJ

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 12, 2013, 10:37:02 AM »
One more for the road. 1/1000th + 580 off shoe at camera right. Wasn't quite what I wanted but had no chance to tweak since my son was over it (as you can see from the expression).

Also, my apologies to anyone who is sick of seeing my kids over and over again. I am not a pro and they are my main day to day subjects.
great shot, I love the bokeh

JohnDizzo15

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 12, 2013, 11:12:57 AM »

I have two (2.5 & 5yrs)

+1...not a lot of people understand it though

With 2 kids, the last thing I want to do is to carry 5D III + 24-70 to disneyland. I have Sony A7 + Zeiss 55mm on pre-order. If this camera works out as I planned, I might just end up with one 5D III + 135L and 70-200 for shooting kids running around.(selling list will be: 5D III, 50L, 85L II, and 24-70).

Funny you mention a sell list. I was just contemplating it last night before I fell asleep. I was thinking I would just keep the 5D along with the tele lenses just like you said since size and awesomeness won't come any smaller than that in longer FLs anyway. Although along with the two lenses you mentioned, I might have to also hold onto the 85ii and the tse lenses.

More than anything, I just want to prep for what Fuji has coming next as I have read on their respective forum that the next year or two will be huge for them. Don't know if you have read about it yet, but look up their organic sensor tech they are developing. Seems intriguing to say the least. I'm hoping that their full frame offering will build on the same awesomeness of their ASP-C lines.

Excited to see image samples and hear about your findings with your upcoming acquisition. I am very intrigued by both the body and the lens. You are a lucky guy to be getting both already.

Agreed regarding the large/heavy rigs while chasing kids around. The Fuji has also allowed me to get over the whole anxiety of figuring out and making sure I have everything I need with me. Yes, there will be times when I need more speed/light and different focal lengths. But day to day, I am set......for now :D

It has been rather liberating to forget that I even have a camera strapped to my side half the time.

JohnDizzo15

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 12, 2013, 11:17:09 AM »

great shot, I love the bokeh

Thank you  :)

There were definitely several adjustments I wanted to make for the scene (felt like some of the bushes were too far under). But my son is not easy to make stand there while you tweak set up for another shot (especially when he wants to run off and play). Though all things considered, I was happy with the results.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #42 on: November 12, 2013, 11:17:09 AM »

chilledXpress

« Reply #43 on: November 12, 2013, 01:42:04 PM »

Never apologize for pictures of your children... part of my day job is doing portraits of other peoples children, but I never get tired of taking photos of mine or showing them. Probably my most important job as a dad and the main reason I started looking for alternatives to the DSLR. It was starting to become more about the camera than the pictures, with the Fuji you can have your cake and eat it too  ;D

So, after having it in your hands for a bit... any wishes for the next Fuji? I'd like a faster AF (phase contrast) and FF but interchangeable lenses. I have the Xpro-1 but not my favorite camera, it was put out before they addressed the X100 issues with the redesign of the X100S. Hoping the Xpro-2 contains all the current development pluses and I can move on to it. I don't mind the 35mm EFOV but would love to have 50mm and possibly 85mm, and something super wide in the 10-15mm range. I don't want a bag full of lenses, I already have that if needed... I just need a bit more latitude. I really wish they had a X100S-50mm... that might be all I need in reality.

As great as it is as a portrait/people camera don't forget the landscapes! It does exceptionally well there too. I just picked up the RRS plate and hope this weekend has some time for me to sneak out for some early morning work (before the family get's up  ;) )

We should start an "anything shot with a X100S by Canon Guys" thread, love seeing your photos. Keep'em coming... here are a few more from my neck of the woods.

« Last Edit: November 12, 2013, 02:23:32 PM by chilledXpress »

JohnDizzo15

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 12, 2013, 03:10:12 PM »

Never apologize for pictures of your children... part of my day job is doing portraits of other peoples children, but I never get tired of taking photos of mine or showing them. Probably my most important job as a dad and the main reason I started looking for alternatives to the DSLR. It was starting to become more about the camera than the pictures, with the Fuji you can have your cake and eat it too  ;D

So, after having it in your hands for a bit... any wishes for the next Fuji? I'd like a faster AF (phase contrast) and FF but interchangeable lenses. I have the Xpro-1 but not my favorite camera, it was put out before they addressed the X100 issues with the redesign of the X100S. Hoping the Xpro-2 contains all the current development pluses and I can move on to it. I don't mind the 35mm EFOV but would love to have 50mm and possibly 85mm, and something super wide in the 10-15mm range. I don't want a bag full of lenses, I already have that if needed... I just need a bit more latitude. I really wish they had a X100S-50mm... that might be all I need in reality.

As great as it is as a portrait/people camera don't forget the landscapes! It does exceptionally well there too. I just picked up the RRS plate and hope this weekend has some time for me to sneak out for some early morning work (before the family get's up  ;) )

We should start an "anything shot with a X100S by Canon Guys" thread, love seeing your photos. Keep'em coming... here are a few more from my neck of the woods.

LOL. Just figured there might be some people around here that were at least starting to get sick of it.

Completely get what you're saying about it becoming more about the camera/gear. It was getting in the way of a lot of the experience of just being out with the family. Definitely taxing after a while.

To answer your question, my wishes for Fuji are for them to hurry up with the organic sensor development and application into camera bodies. I definitely am interested to see what they do with a full frame + interchangeable lenses much like you. If/when that happens and it turns out to be awesome, you might have to go find me in the FujiRumors forum LOL. The other big wish would be for them to release a line of leaf shutter lenses. Don't know how feasible it would be for them.

I love the hybrid AF in the X100s (blazing fast for a mirrorless). If it was a smidge faster, it would be on par with most DSLRs. I agree with you in wanting a different FL on the X100s as I feel like it is just a bit too wide for all purpose. Would have been nice to be 40-45mm equivalent for my preference. I also wonder how much larger the lens would have to be if they made it either a 1.8 or 1.7ish as there are some times when I wish I had access to a shallower DOF. Again though, those are just wishes as I love the cam as is.

I would love to shoot landscapes. But like you, I have to sneak out pretty early to get any amount of time to do that. Wife looks like she has been running a daycare for 10 hours by herself when I leave on the weekends for even a couple hours and come back.

Thanks re seeing the photos and definitely agree that we should start a thread for them. Awesome shots btw. I especially love the first shot. Which simulation setting was that?

Also would like your opinion on the RAF files. I feel as though they are easier to work in post and give me better results than the 5D3 files on average so far. Again, it's just a feeling and I can't quite put my finger on why. But the end result is just more pleasing to my eye. There is obviously less resolution. But the amount of detail and how clean it looks is just astounding. Would love to hear yours and others opinions on the matter.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2013, 03:16:17 PM by JohnDizzo15 »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #44 on: November 12, 2013, 03:10:12 PM »