October 25, 2014, 01:44:38 PM

Author Topic: Fuji x100s + Canon Speedlites?  (Read 15773 times)

Grumbaki

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
Re: Fuji x100s + Canon Speedlites?
« Reply #60 on: November 13, 2013, 10:49:20 PM »
Probably not the topic I should read when I'm trying to wait for a x200 that is rumored early next year. Anyone extensively reads fuji rumors? I can't seem to find more than CR1...

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #60 on: November 13, 2013, 10:49:20 PM »

chilledXpress

« Reply #61 on: November 14, 2013, 12:41:58 AM »
Probably not the topic I should read when I'm trying to wait for a x200 that is rumored early next year. Anyone extensively reads fuji rumors? I can't seem to find more than CR1...

From my understanding... the X200 was rumored in 2012 and was anticipated to be unveiled Jan. 8th CES 2013 . It was announced at CES 2013 and named the X100S with a release date in early February 2013. I received mine in late April due to the huge demand and backorders. Some were willing to pay upwards of 2000$ when first released. By August of 2013 they were still very difficult to obtain... but I just checked Amazon and if bought today you can receive one by the weekend.

Good news for you... the wait is over ;D
« Last Edit: November 14, 2013, 01:07:07 PM by chilledXpress »

chilledXpress

« Reply #63 on: November 14, 2013, 01:21:41 AM »
Good news for you... the wait is over ;D

The naming switch can be mistaking but nope, the wait isn't over
http://www.fujirumors.com/full-frame-x200-coming-2014/
http://www.fujirumors.com/x-roadmap-20142015-weather-sealed-lenses-and-full-frame-x/
http://www.mirrorlessrumors.com/the-rumor-counterattack-from-fuji-full-frame-x200-coming-in-2014/

Strange, the X200 was rumored in 2012... Now rumored X200 FF... Regardless, if they release a weather sealed, FF ILC, whatever the name is, I'm down. If it's a fixed FF, I'll wait for the FF Xpro-2 or Xpro FF.

It might very well be a FF fixed due to lens development for a FF sensor... Still wouldn't be enough for me to jump, so ill enjoy my X100s until a ILC FF debuts.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2013, 01:33:42 AM by chilledXpress »

Grumbaki

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 14, 2013, 01:35:35 AM »
X200 previous rumors came true, just under another name. This one can too ("x100FF"?)

Should be fixed FF. X100S proved that there is a market for fixed lens but the price point will be very delicate.

I'll still control myself and wait, but it'll be a win anyway as, if i'm not into the x200, there will be a price drop in x100s to enjoy.

Other determinant points will be the lens of course but if the keep the end result (35mm f2) I'd be in.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2013, 01:37:40 AM by Grumbaki »

chilledXpress

« Reply #65 on: November 14, 2013, 01:54:47 AM »
X200 previous rumors came true, just under another name. This one can too ("x100FF"?)

Should be fixed FF. X100S proved that there is a market for fixed lens but the price point will be very delicate.

I'll still control myself and wait, but it'll be a win anyway as, if i'm not into the x200, there will be a price drop in x100s to enjoy.

Other determinant points will be the lens of course but if the keep the end result (35mm f2) I'd be in.

I think the name thing is just guessing on everyones part... I do think it's going to be awhile before the next Fuji I want will be out. I've got to many cameras to just buy into the next one coming down the road... Hell, I have a 1DX now gathering dust as it is, with this X100s my trusty 5D3's are even getting lonely.

Good luck on the waiting...

Grumbaki

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 14, 2013, 02:01:03 AM »

Well it's a toy not a need to I can wait for it, my diner doesn't rely on it ;) Would suck to buy in now when some say  Fuji will talk about in 2-3 months from now.

Yeah I know, rumor games...but this is what this site is about!

Ok let's not derail, I liked this topic as a showcase of realisation!

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #66 on: November 14, 2013, 02:01:03 AM »

chilledXpress

« Reply #67 on: November 14, 2013, 02:05:09 AM »
So very true...

At some point you'll buy and 3-6 months later something newer will come out. It's only new until you drive it off the lot.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2013, 02:07:08 AM by chilledXpress »

JohnDizzo15

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: November 14, 2013, 02:09:10 AM »

I think the name thing is just guessing on everyones part... I do think it's going to be awhile before the next Fuji I want will be out. I've got to many cameras to just buy into the next one coming down the road... Hell, I have a 1DX now gathering dust as it is, with this X100s my trusty 5D3's are even getting lonely.

Not sure how well the Sony rx1 is doing, but I would imagine not as well as Sony would have hoped. I could be completely off, but that price point for a fixed lens offering, full frame or not is going to cause a lot of hesitation for the average consumer. Considering the x100s is already 1300, I don't fathom a full frame version would be much less than 2k if at all. This for me would be a deal killer. That being said, I will gladly fork over 2k for the body alone if it is an interchangeable lens model.

@Grumbaki - FWIW, the x100s is as close to perfect as I have handled so far for a cam in that class. Assuming you plan on making full use of its unique feature set, it is a bargain in my opinion. Assuming Fuji even comes out with a full frame equivalent, will you want to pony up whatever they will be asking for it? I say enjoy the x100s now and worst comes to worst, you lose a few hundred on the used market if you end up having to upgrade. I'm telling you, it is lifechangingly awesome so far (for me). The only major addition I would really want is IS. But also not absolutely necessary esp at 35mm for most applications.

I also thought it was a toy prior to getting time with it in my hands. Once you realize what you can do with this thing though, you will find you can probably get a lot of actual work done with it. I'm definitely taking it with me on my next paid gig. Check out zack arias if you get a chance.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2013, 02:24:23 AM by JohnDizzo15 »

Grumbaki

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: November 14, 2013, 08:22:36 AM »
I guess my english leaves room for interpretation so lets clarify some points.

Assuming Fuji even comes out with a full frame equivalent, will you want to pony up whatever they will be asking for it?

The obvious gains and the adequation to my personal preferences/style would worth the mark up considering my financial situation. Not gonna be sucker punched in the wallet too but you know...

I say enjoy the x100s now and worst comes to worst, you lose a few hundred on the used market if you end up having to upgrade.
Aftermarket where I live sucks balls. Everyone wants the latest of its class and depreciation cost is quite high.

I also thought it was a toy prior to getting time with it in my hands.
When I say toy it's in its most positive way, as in "A thing I will enjoy to interact with"

As to the whole fixed lens worth it? Well in my very personal opinion it does as long as it's the good one for you. I'm just looking for my 5d3+35f1.4 combo IQ in the smallest (and rugged+sneaky) package possible.

To ChillXpress: By now every consumer knows that or is retarded. But when something is very close to your need but not quite yet up there, what's bad in waiting for the next version when it's credibly rumored to be very soon?

Dylan777

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: November 14, 2013, 09:09:26 AM »

As much as I enjoy current x100s, I do look forward for that rumor(FF x100s) with fixed 35mm. Current x100s body and button layout are perfect. Keep it thin as current x100s. Little bit wider to compensate for 35mm sensor is ok with me.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2013, 09:11:10 AM by Dylan777 »
Body: 1DX -- 5D III
Zoom: 16-35L f4 IS -- 24-70L II -- 70-200L f2.8 IS II
Prime: 40mm -- 85L II -- 135L -- 200L f2 IS -- 400L f2.8 IS II

JohnDizzo15

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: November 14, 2013, 11:28:06 AM »
@Grumbaki and Dylan - While I definitely agree that a full frame version would be utterly awesome to get my hands on, my thought process/vision are a bit different.

My current perspective on the matter is that I wanted the smallest fixed lens package possible and then eventually get a full frame interchangeable lens model at which point size will not matter to me.

If I were to hold off and get a full frame equivalent of an x100s, I would already be at least 2k invested before I even get to the interchangeable lens model. This doesn't work for my personal financial situation since I want a powerful/small rig + a rig which would be for absolute IQ that would probably cost me significantly more to build a kit around.

Putting all that aside, the IQ of this thing is already utterly amazing as it rivals my 5D3 in many situations regardless of it being a cropped sensor. Those who are considering this cam will not be disappointed (assuming they are a user who is willing to learn the system and how to exploit it's feature set).

Pinchers of Peril

• Rebel T5i
  • Shoot first ask questions later
    • View Profile
    • PS Photography
« Reply #72 on: November 14, 2013, 11:49:43 AM »

As much as I enjoy current x100s, I do look forward for that rumor(FF x100s) with fixed 35mm. Current x100s body and button layout are perfect. Keep it thin as current x100s. Little bit wider to compensate for 35mm sensor is ok with me.

Dylan, you need to stop posting that beautiful picture of the x100s.  You're going to end up making me drop $1300 ha ha
Canon 5D Mark III, 85 1.2 II, 70-200 2.8 IS II, 16-35 2.8 II, 50 1.4, 40mm pancake www.paulandsunny.blogspot.com

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #72 on: November 14, 2013, 11:49:43 AM »

JohnDizzo15

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: November 14, 2013, 12:25:35 PM »

Dylan, you need to stop posting that beautiful picture of the x100s.  You're going to end up making me drop $1300 ha ha

A small price to pay for sheer joy.

Quick update. I've looked over the several hundred photos I have taken with it since it arrived last Friday and out of all the keepers, 18 of them were shots I would not have gotten with my other rig.

To put this into perspective, these are 18 shots that I absolutely love which employed at least the leaf shutter, built in ND, silent shutter, size/discrete factor, or some combination of a few of those things in order for them to have been possible. This is over the span of a little less than a week and I haven't shot anything in the last two days. This is a huge deal for me since those photos would otherwise not exist. The only question I have left is how much I will be able to accomplish over a longer period of time.

$1300 to open doors to more shooting opportunities/possibilities vs what I've invested for my Canon kit that doesn't? Also, I consider the fact that I have a closet full of lenses each of which cost around the price of the x100s or more? In a nutshell, just do it!

chilledXpress

« Reply #74 on: November 14, 2013, 12:56:36 PM »
$1300 to open doors to more shooting opportunities/possibilities vs what I've invested for my Canon kit that doesn't? Also, I consider the fact that I have a closet full of lenses each of which cost around the price of the x100s or more? In a nutshell, just do it!

I think this is a point not many take into consideration. Most of my Canon lenses are more costly than the X100S... in the end, it's such a minor investment that it was hard not to buy.

The rumored FF fixed is not what I want or need, pretty much have that covered at this point... I may not even need a Fuji FF ILC, it's more of a want than a need. The thing about this X100S is that it opened doors for me that nothing else I own did. It met a need and a want all at the same time.

With the GAS situ (I suffered for years), I collected cameras... Canon, Rollies, Leica, Nikon. Much of which stays tucked away in Pelicans or in cases. You only have two hands and can carry so much... I began to realize what was important was finding gear that helped not hindered. My Canon's help with work, the X100S helps with the family and everything else I enjoy about photography. It brought me back to the days when I only had my dad's old 35mm, beat to hell and I didn't care. It was easy and fun, I enjoyed taking pictures for the sake of taking pictures. It wasn't about bodies and lenses at that time, somewhere I got a bit lost and afflicted with GAS. I'm recovering now, baby steps... at first it was hard to not carry the backpack, the 5D3 and yea a second 5D3, oh...and the 50, and the 135, oh...yea the 70-200 might need that and while I'm at it better take the 24-70... it was a vicious cycle. It is totally liberating, I reach for the little Fuji and then grab the diaper bag... that's it!

So you goona start that thread John or should I? Dylan and John, you guys on Flickr? Local to Cali? I use Flickr for social stuff, camera clubs and meet ups... you guys every done any of that? Check page 4 of this thread... I have my profile info there if you're interested.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2013, 01:06:13 PM by chilledXpress »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #74 on: November 14, 2013, 12:56:36 PM »