July 26, 2014, 09:12:26 AM

Author Topic: Black Rapid vs Peak Design vs CarrySpeed vs SpiderHolster  (Read 9385 times)

1kind

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
Re: Black Rapid vs Peak Design vs CarrySpeed vs SpiderHolster
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2014, 03:43:52 PM »
The capture looks intriguing indeed.  I wonder how it compares though to the spider holster, as I was originally going to order one.

I reviewed the Capture, Spider Holster, Carry Speed, M-Plate Pro - http://www.1kindphotography.com/p/reviews_2.html

The Spider hangs upside down and can move around freely. With the Peak Capture, the camera/lens aims down. It's locked in place. If you have a gripped camera, I would go with Spider. If not grip, its a tough choice but I would have to go with Peak.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2014, 03:43:52 PM »

1kind

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2014, 03:45:41 PM »
I often carry two bodies - a 7D with the 70-200 f2.8L II and a 5D3 with a 24-105 f4.0L.  I can't handle the shoulder strap bags anymore.  After a while, the strain near my neck gives me headaches.  Plus, I don't like the cameras swinging too far, so I stayed away from BR straps.  I most often used Think Tank holsters on a Think Tank Pro Speed Belt. 

A couple months ago, I invested in two Peak Design Capture Clips.  I have been very impressed with these.  As the photos below demonstrate, I sewed 2" straps into a loop so I could mount the clip horizontally and then be able to slide it around the Pro Speed Belt.  The clips are always on the belt and I don't use the holsters as much.  The clips are very handy for changing lenses.

Also, I make my own neck straps using 1" wide tubular webbing (from REI).  The neck strap is still handy when I grab a single body.  These 1" straps are less cumbersome than the Canon straps.  They are nice to have when I'm in a hurry and just need to throw a camera around my neck or shoulder.

So far, I strongly recommend the Capture Clips, especially the new design (as shown below).

EDIT: I added a fourth photo below.  The strap is sewn it two places to keep it secure below the belt and to prevent losing the whole works should the clamps on the clip loosen (which hasn't happened, yet).

Nice but why not get the ProPad? - http://1kindphotography.blogspot.com/2013/10/review-peak-design-propad-for-capture.html

It moves the Capture further up, offers padding/protecting against your body and makes the setup much more rigid?

Note: I was given a 10% off coupon code to share with readers on all Peak Design products.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2014, 03:48:34 PM by 1kind »

that1guyy

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2014, 07:29:32 PM »
i'm not a fan of belt systems at all...on a big and heavy camera, it just feels weird walking around with.
i bought the Capture, it works for mirrorless cameras but on a 5d3 with only a 24-70, it felt so uncomfortable on the belt or even on a backback..i just didn't like the feeling of it..it just feels like someone pulling your belt as you walk.

i then went to buy the b-grip evo..thinking with the large surface area it would be better...i was wrong, it felt even more weird and unnatural to walk around with and a hassle to use..

i also was using the Black Rapids for a while but i felt that it does get in the way whe i'm sitting or squatting down because the strap would fall off my shoulder even with the extra harness...

Ultimately, the one strap that is pretty unknown but works FANTASTIC for me...it's a sling style, it is adjustable in length on the fly and is lockable and is super light and comfortable..I use this strap ALL the time now and it's the best strap i've used by far....It's none other than the Joby Ultrafit strap
http://joby.com/camera-straps/ultrafit-sling-strap-for-men/

for bigger dslrs there's a thicker version
http://joby.com/camera-straps/pro-sling-strap/

Go check it out..it really is that great a product that is very overlooked.

That connects to the bottom, which I hate. There are no choices on the connection. Plus, the lens is digging into the guys stomach in the demo and it would get more uncomfortable with a bigger lens. It may work better in practice though I do not know. I am kind of sold on the peak design leash as a strap and their capture clip for use on hikes and stuff. I was actually just about to buy the leash but hearing about a more padded version is making me wait and see. What I love about that leash is that I have a choice where to attach the strap.

stochasticmotions

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2014, 10:49:14 PM »
Hello out there! Anyone using Peak-Design straps and Capture system?

-pw

I have been using the Peak Design straps on a Canon 1D Mark IV for the last 8-10 months along with a Black Rapid strap for when I am carrying around my biggest lenses.  I really like the fact that I can attach and remove both of these straps very quickly.  I usually have the Peak Design straps on the top left and lower right corners of the camera so that the camera and lens hang downwards at my right hip.  I'm usually using a Tamron 24-70 f2.8 or Canon 100 f2.8 IS when travelling in this configuration.  I then leave my Black Rapid attached to the foot of either my Canon 100-400 or Sigma 120-300 f2.8 depending on the amount of weight I want to carry around.  This method works well with the rest of my lenses when not travelling as well.

I was originally worried about how the peak designs strap would feel with such a thin strap but actually found it to be more comfortable most of the time than any other strap I have used, it did not dig into my shoulder but just really wrapped around my body.  I have found that wear and tear on the strap is much quicker to be noticed than others but I would seriously consider buying another for the comfort and ease of moving it back and forth to my Sony A7R by just keeping the little connectors attached all the time.

Cheers

BoneDoc

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2014, 10:34:43 AM »
Ok.  Just got myself the PD Capture Pro.  I'll let you guys know how it goes :)

FTb-n

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2014, 12:13:32 AM »
Nice but why not get the ProPad? - http://1kindphotography.blogspot.com/2013/10/review-peak-design-propad-for-capture.html

It moves the Capture further up, offers padding/protecting against your body and makes the setup much more rigid?

I was intrigued by the ProPad.  But, I have two CLIPs and found the cost of two ProPads a bit pricy when I already had the 2" seat belt webbing left over from another project.  My cost was just my time sewing them. 

When I bought the CLIPs, I intended to mount them vertically on the belt.  But, I found the CLIPs easier to use if mounted horizontally.  If mounted vertically, I was a bit concerned about accidently releasing the CLIP and dropping the camera.

After using the CLIPs on my strap mounts, I like that they are very simple with no added bulk.  I actually find a benefit with the CLIP just below the belt.  When walking with a 5D3 and 70-200 on the CLIP, the camera and lens rides nicely wherever I position them on the belt.  If I carry the camera and lens in front, it is also handy to flip the body up when sitting or while changing lenses with the body in the CLIP.

Still, I haven't tried the ProPad.  I may well find it just as convenient as my solution.

5D3, 7D | 70-200 f2.8L IS II, 24-70 f2.8L II, 24-105 f4L IS, 35 f2 IS, 17-55 f2.8 IS, 40 f2.8...  |  PowerShot S100

Halfrack

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2014, 01:05:07 AM »
For what it is worth, scuttlebutt is that Carryspeed was sued by BlackRapid, and the lawsuit was dragged out enough that Carryspeed gave up.  Not sure how they viewed the product as a knock off.
"Me owning a lens shop is kind of like having an alcoholic bar tender." - Roger Cicala

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2014, 01:05:07 AM »

Roger Jones

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2014, 02:45:01 AM »
For what it is worth, scuttlebutt is that Carryspeed was sued by BlackRapid, and the lawsuit was dragged out enough that Carryspeed gave up.  Not sure how they viewed the product as a knock off.

Black Rapid has a patent on the sliding camera strap.
http://1.usa.gov/1i9HldD

CarrySpeed LumaLoop and others have left the field or discontinued products as result of the patent grant. Carryspeed was sued by BR and seems to have gone out of business.

Millionway International, Inc. ("Millionway") and Black Rapid are competitors in the camera strap market. ( Millionway Int'l, Inc. v. Black Rapid, Inc., 4:13-CV-01780, Dkt. 1). XP Photo sells Millionway's products. Dkt. 1 ¶ 17 (Original Complaint). On November 1, 2011, the United States Patent and Trademark Office ("Patent Office") granted Black Rapid a utility patent on a camera transport system and method, known as the 729 Patent. Dkt. 1 ¶ 10. The Patent Office issued a reexamination certificate confirming the validity of the 729 Patent on March 5, 2013. Id. On March 6, 2013, Black Rapid filed suit against Millionway in the United States District Court for the Central District of California ("California Court") for infringement of the 729 Patent. Id. ¶ 12. Millionway did not answer, and Black Rapid filed a motion for default judgment on April 5, 2013. Dkt. 7, Ex. F.[1] The California Court entered default judgment against Millionway on June 10, 2013, and additionally permanently enjoined Millionway and its agents from infringing the 729 Patent. Dkt. 7, Ex. B (granting Black Rapid's motion for default judgment). Therefore, the California Court deemed Black Rapid's factual allegations in its original complaint as true, including a determination that Millionway's camera straps including the "Carry Speed" line of products, infringed the 729 Patent. Id.

http://tx.findacase.com/research/wfrmDocViewer.aspx/xq/fac.20131202_0001521.STX.htm/qx

sagittariansrock

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 29, 2014, 03:03:55 AM »

CarrySpeed LumaLoop and others have left the field or discontinued products as result of the patent grant. Carryspeed was sued by BR and seems to have gone out of business.

Millionway International, Inc. ("Millionway") and Black Rapid are competitors in the camera strap market. ( Millionway Int'l, Inc. v. Black Rapid, Inc., 4:13-CV-01780, Dkt. 1). XP Photo sells Millionway's products. Dkt. 1 ¶ 17 (Original Complaint). On November 1, 2011, the United States Patent and Trademark Office ("Patent Office") granted Black Rapid a utility patent on a camera transport system and method, known as the 729 Patent. Dkt. 1 ¶ 10. The Patent Office issued a reexamination certificate confirming the validity of the 729 Patent on March 5, 2013. Id. On March 6, 2013, Black Rapid filed suit against Millionway in the United States District Court for the Central District of California ("California Court") for infringement of the 729 Patent. Id. ¶ 12. Millionway did not answer, and Black Rapid filed a motion for default judgment on April 5, 2013. Dkt. 7, Ex. F.[1] The California Court entered default judgment against Millionway on June 10, 2013, and additionally permanently enjoined Millionway and its agents from infringing the 729 Patent. Dkt. 7, Ex. B (granting Black Rapid's motion for default judgment). Therefore, the California Court deemed Black Rapid's factual allegations in its original complaint as true, including a determination that Millionway's camera straps including the "Carry Speed" line of products, infringed the 729 Patent. Id.

http://tx.findacase.com/research/wfrmDocViewer.aspx/xq/fac.20131202_0001521.STX.htm/qx

My eyes started hurting after reading the first couple of paragraphs, but doesn't the Optech sling strap have the same principle? Did they do it first or didn't BR have enough bank balance to sue them?
EOS 5DIII, EOS 5D | Rokinon 14mm f/2.8, TS-E 17mm f/4L, EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM, EF 35mm f/1.4L USM, EF 40mm f/2.8 STM, EF 50mm f/1.4 USM, EF 135mm f/2L USM, EF 70-200 f/2.8L IS II USM, 1.4x III, 2x III | 600-EX-RT x3

Roger Jones

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 29, 2014, 03:12:11 AM »
My eyes started hurting after reading the first couple of paragraphs, but doesn't the Optech sling strap have the same principle? Did they do it first or didn't BR have enough bank balance to sue them?

IANAL but my reading of the 729 patent is that the claim is for the sliding hardware that moves along the strap. The optech doesn't have the slide so it doesn't infringe. I don't think you can patent the concept of shoulder straps but who knows.

1kind

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 29, 2014, 09:04:17 AM »
That is correct. That is what Tim (CEO) of CarrySpeed told me over the phone. He tried to fight it but didn't have the funds to tackle BR and their expensive lawyers. So they sold off CarrySpeed to an international company. Tim is now focusing on other camera accessories such as PhotographyandCinema.com, Kamerar.com, Mogopod.com

1kind

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 29, 2014, 09:06:42 AM »

CarrySpeed is out of the strap market. Luma Labs discontinued the LumaLoop but redesigned their strap and released the Cinch.

There are a bunch still left on the market. JOBY (JOBY is a bigger company than BR and BR won't go after them), OPTech (probably the same as Joby), SunSniper, CustomSLR, and those are a few that I can think of off the top of my head.

1kind

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 29, 2014, 09:08:25 AM »

The legal fees was pretty much was killed off CarrySpeed. A multi-million dollar company versus a small company.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: January 29, 2014, 09:08:25 AM »

Eldar

• 1D X
    • View Profile
2x5DIII, 1DX, 8-15/4L, 24-70/2.8L II, 70-200/2.8L II, 70-300/4-5.6L, 200-400/4L 1.4x, Zeiss 15/2.8, 17/4L TS-E, Zeiss 21/2.8, 24/3.5L TS-E II, Sigma 35/1.4 Art, Sigma 50/1.4 Art, Zeiss Otus 55/1.4, 85/1.2L II, Zeiss 135/2, 600/4L II

1kind

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 29, 2014, 10:02:55 PM »
You can still buy Carryspeed from Amazon:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=carryspeed

I don't think BR has the ability to sue overseas. That is why Millionway sold CarrySpeed to an international company.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: January 29, 2014, 10:02:55 PM »