November 27, 2014, 02:19:37 AM

Author Topic: Micro Adustment Issues  (Read 2358 times)

Sporgon

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • 5% of gear used 95% of the time
    • View Profile
    • www.buildingpanoramics.com
Re: Micro Adustment Issues
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2013, 12:08:26 PM »
Neuro's advice gave me an idea, so I followed exactly what he said, but wrote 'cook' on the label and stuck it on the wife.

So far it's worked..........

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2013, 12:08:26 PM »

J.R.

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2013, 01:03:33 PM »

P.S. have I ever mentioned that my first name is Otto ;)

That explains a great deal  ;)
5D3, 6D, 600D, RX100
16-35L, 24-70L II, 70-200L II, 100-400L, 50L, 85L II, 135L, 24TSE, 40, 100 macro, 18-55 II, 55-250 II, 600RT x 4
I come here to learn something new, not to learn how bad my gear is - I know that already ;-)!

Mt Spokane Photography

• EF 50mm F 0.7 IS
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2013, 02:51:26 PM »
I thought I would have some Friday Fun -- so I tried to use FoCal to calibrate my new TS-E 24mm f/3.5L II.  I set up my target perfectly, covered my eyepiece, and set it on a rock solid tripod.  As it's a 5DIII, I had to set it up manually and I have adjust the AFMA values myself.

Something's not working, though.  It won't AF at all, and I worry the USM motor might be fried.  I guess I'll have to move on to calibrating my Zeiss lenses, but can someone help?

As I recall, you can use FoCal Pro  on a manual lens to check some of the problem areas such as sharpness at different apertures.  Its one way to find out if there is a issue with a lens, if the curve is irregular, there is a problem.

You can take photos of the target manually focusing at each aperture and upload them into Focal for analysis.  I'd have to reread the manual on this, its just from memory.

mackguyver

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Who Dares Wins
    • View Profile
    • My Personal Work
« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2013, 03:29:34 PM »
As I recall, you can use FoCal Pro  on a manual lens to check some of the problem areas such as sharpness at different apertures.  Its one way to find out if there is a issue with a lens, if the curve is irregular, there is a problem.

You can take photos of the target manually focusing at each aperture and upload them into Focal for analysis.  I'd have to reread the manual on this, its just from memory.
That sounds right - I think you manually focus with LiveView and then it runs the aperture sharpness test.  I suppose "Turbo" mode might work for the purpose takesome1 suggested.  Really.  I have no plans to use this lens for anything other than very slow, deliberate shooting with LiveView, but I guess it's possible to calibrate the confirmation light.  I don't think I'll waste the time trying.

Mt Spokane Photography

• EF 50mm F 0.7 IS
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2013, 08:08:57 PM »

That sounds right - I think you manually focus with LiveView and then it runs the aperture sharpness test.  I suppose "Turbo" mode might work for the purpose takesome1 suggested.  Really.  I have no plans to use this lens for anything other than very slow, deliberate shooting with LiveView, but I guess it's possible to calibrate the confirmation light.  I don't think I'll waste the time trying.
It might be one way to detect suspected decentering issues.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2013, 08:08:57 PM »