September 02, 2014, 07:00:05 AM

Author Topic: F1 Photography Advice  (Read 19708 times)

IMG_0001

• Canon 70D
  • Amateur photon abductor
    • View Profile
Re: F1 Photography Advice
« Reply #120 on: December 19, 2013, 08:38:29 PM »
Sorry to disappoint you, but I'm actually an American ;D I can see how the comment about the Queen may have thrown you off. As an American, I just find the concept of monarchy that has no real political power rather amusing :)

As for the new turbo motors, I believe the theory is that F1 management felt that the 2.4L V-8s were becoming less and less relevant compared to production engines. Since the OEs are moving to smaller-displacement engines with turbos and/or hybrid drives, the new 1.6L engines are supposed to make F1 technology more relevant to the masses and hopefully attract sponsors. I'm not saying I buy into it, but that's how they're trying to spin it.

Certainly that's the spin, but the reason production cars are going in that direction, is to cut emissions and increase gas mileage.  Most people don't drive 200mph on a curvy road on the way to work!  F1 racing is hardly relevant to either endeavor, and certainly there will still be sports and performance cars that don't use small displacement eco turbo engines for the foreseeable future.  It's just that the second tier offerings will be going in the econo direction to help the entire line achieve a lower CO2 footprint.  So it's a shame F1 and Bernie feel the need to mirror that.  For instance, I just read in "Car" magazine, that you can say goodbye to a flat 6 in the Boxster and Cayman.  They will get a smaller turbo 4 cylinder.  I guess it's a good thing I don't aspire to own either of them anyway.  It's just a shame that their prices probably won't see a decrease... 

If you're not even a Brit, yet you're a fan of Lewis Hamilton, that is very odd...but I don't mean any personal offense toward you!  I don't have enough friends who even follow F1, at least not currently.

I actually am quite sure that pushing the envellope in F1 is likely to bring new technologies to consumer cars. Altough their immediate use differ at first sight, reliability and efficiency are key in both domains. Although I do enjoy large displacement petrol engines a lot, I've always believed that for high performance cars, less is more. I am a big fan of Collin Chapman and Gordon Murray design philosophy.

I actually doubt that the new engine regulations will make the cars slower. The electtric drive is going to provide torque levels probably unheard of in the history of F1. Couple this with potentially lighter cars and it is actually quite promising. As for fuel quantity limits, I don't feel like is that much different from the intake restrictor size regulations that limit the available air intake. You need both air and fuel to get power out of that engine. If you limit the air volume, you might as well limit the fuel volume too...

Edit: did I actually say that actually...Oh I actually already said actually too oftenin a single post.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2013, 08:43:40 PM by IMG_0001 »
What a mess, my camera's sensor is full of massless particules that keep on trying to behave like waves!

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #120 on: December 19, 2013, 08:38:29 PM »

V8Beast

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • Stephen Kim Automotive Photography
« Reply #121 on: December 20, 2013, 11:24:45 PM »
Having watched Vettel race since 2009, and especially how many pole positions he achieves...and how he is able to snatch a fast qualifying time out of the fire at will with nerves of steel...I dunno it just seems like nobody else is able to do that.  Sure he has the best car, designer and team.  Maybe after the new chassis and powerplants come in, he won't have the best car anymore, and his dominance will be over?  People like you probably hope so, but I am kind of pulling for him I guess.  I kind of see myself in him.  Somebody who has a killer instinct and mind-blowing reaction times, but still likes to think of themselves as a nice guy.

If you don't like Hamilton, you would have hated Montoya. Take all the negative elements you mentioned about Hamilton, multiply them by 10, that should give you a pretty good idea of what Montoya's F1 career was like. He was a man of immense talent that could lay down blistering laps, but his impatience and lack of discipline led to his downfall. He was a huge waste of talent to say the least.

I wish Vettel no ill fortune. He hasn't had to fight through much adversity at this stage in his career, which is why I'm hesitant to put in him the same league as Senna and Schumacher just yet, but he's so young that he has plenty of time shut people like me up :) However, thus far in his career, I'd say he's been the most likable multiple World Champion in recent memory.

IMHO, although Schumacher was one of the best drivers in F1 history, he was also one of the dirtiest drivers in F1 history. That fact will always taint his legacy, which is shame, because the man was brilliant in his prime. The only real blemishes on Vettel's record thus far are his wreck with Webber a few years back in Turkey, and disobeying team orders in Malaysia this season. Anyone who watched Schumacher race knows those are but minor infractions compared to the antics the elder German pulled up during this driving days!

« Last Edit: December 20, 2013, 11:26:31 PM by V8Beast »

CarlTN

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: December 26, 2013, 03:48:46 PM »
Having watched Vettel race since 2009, and especially how many pole positions he achieves...and how he is able to snatch a fast qualifying time out of the fire at will with nerves of steel...I dunno it just seems like nobody else is able to do that.  Sure he has the best car, designer and team.  Maybe after the new chassis and powerplants come in, he won't have the best car anymore, and his dominance will be over?  People like you probably hope so, but I am kind of pulling for him I guess.  I kind of see myself in him.  Somebody who has a killer instinct and mind-blowing reaction times, but still likes to think of themselves as a nice guy.

If you don't like Hamilton, you would have hated Montoya. Take all the negative elements you mentioned about Hamilton, multiply them by 10, that should give you a pretty good idea of what Montoya's F1 career was like. He was a man of immense talent that could lay down blistering laps, but his impatience and lack of discipline led to his downfall. He was a huge waste of talent to say the least.

I wish Vettel no ill fortune. He hasn't had to fight through much adversity at this stage in his career, which is why I'm hesitant to put in him the same league as Senna and Schumacher just yet, but he's so young that he has plenty of time shut people like me up :) However, thus far in his career, I'd say he's been the most likable multiple World Champion in recent memory.

IMHO, although Schumacher was one of the best drivers in F1 history, he was also one of the dirtiest drivers in F1 history. That fact will always taint his legacy, which is shame, because the man was brilliant in his prime. The only real blemishes on Vettel's record thus far are his wreck with Webber a few years back in Turkey, and disobeying team orders in Malaysia this season. Anyone who watched Schumacher race knows those are but minor infractions compared to the antics the elder German pulled up during this driving days!

Agree on pretty much all points!  Just watching Schumacher in his recent stint with Mercedes seemed to fit with the commentator's opinion of how he raced in his prime.  He didn't just have killer instincts, he was brutal, unrelenting...cruel and reckless (when it came to blocking over-takers...especially a few notables.)

Agree I wouldn't put Vettel up there with Schumacher and Senna just yet, but I didn't think I said it quite like that.

As for Hamilton, I just put him in the same league as Tiger Woods...they even look very similar.  I guess that almost sounds racist (not meant to be), but it is very odd that they would look so similar and have such a similar smug attitude.  I suppose Hamilton is probably a much more decent and nice guy than Woods, but that's not saying much. 

TheJock

• Rebel T5i
  • Learning one day at a time...thanks to CR :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: December 28, 2013, 12:38:33 PM »
Good evening folks, hope everyone’s having a superb festive season, and I hope Santa Clawz was good to you all, I’m conscious that this conversation is not adding to the OP so I’ve started a new thread called Your favourite motorsports events ( http://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php?topic=18814.0 ) so please feel free to jump in and add all your lovely pics from any events you have attended.

70D - 100-400L - 24-105L - 50 f1.8 II - Sigma 10-20 f4-5.6 - Sigma 610 ST.
Next on the hit list - 100L f2.8 USM macro + 1.4xTCIII + 2xTCIII + 430 EX-II

IMG_0001

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: April 06, 2014, 03:30:17 PM »
Hi folks.

I'll be going to the Malaysian F1 Grand Prix next year and i'm looking for some advice on what kit would be best to take.  I have grandstand tickets on the pit straight for all three days and also might get pit lane access probably on the practice day through a friend who works for one of the teams.

I currently have an Eos 50D, Canon 50mm 1.8, Canon 28-135, and Canon 55-250.  I have been considering selling the 55-250 and getting a 70-200 F4.  Would this be a good idea or would the extra reach of the 55-250 be more useful.

Thanks

Hey TomTom, may be its a long shot but I would be happy to hear about your f1 experience and, if you feel like it, post some of your images.

Regards.
What a mess, my camera's sensor is full of massless particules that keep on trying to behave like waves!

wickidwombat

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: April 24, 2014, 03:07:35 AM »
some F1 pics, posted in the panning thread but thought i'd pop them in here too
APS-H Fanboy

Roo

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: April 24, 2014, 06:04:28 AM »

Awesome shots!!  It looks like the Tammy delivered the goods for you :)  Any issues?
5Diii, 60D, Canon 24-105L, Canon 70-200 2.8L is II, Samyang 14 2.8, Tamron 17-50 2.8 vcd, Tamron 90 macro, Tamron 150-600

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #126 on: April 24, 2014, 06:04:28 AM »

CarlTN

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: April 24, 2014, 07:28:51 PM »

I agree, these are mind-blowingly good!!  Bravo and here here !!  Job well done sir, keep it up!

wickidwombat

• View Profile
« Reply #128 on: April 24, 2014, 07:50:14 PM »

Awesome shots!!  It looks like the Tammy delivered the goods for you :)  Any issues?

Issues well the VC is the biggest issue it utterly blows and was destroying shots got a 0% keeper rate trying to pan with it on so i just turned it off

Focusing I occasionally could not lock at long distance at all but that could be the haze or rain depending which day making it quite low contrast out on the back straight

However Tracking and servo were nothing short of amazing it held lock on the car even when the car went behind the fence or signs.

Also the Zoom Throw is WAY too long it sucks, and the direction is not convenient for being able to zoom and pan with good technique the canon direction is much more condusive to this so i missed lots of shots because of the silly nikon direction zoom.

The other issue is I didn't have a monopod or tripod with me so my arms were falling off by the end of the sessions :P
however i noticed the people with monopods eventually ditched them too.

I think for an enthusiast with the price of this lens it is utterly unbeatable and even at 600mm I am very happy with the images. however I don't think it would cut it for pro use the canon 200-400 would be in a whole other league I think. Not that i have had the pleasure of using the canon.

On race day i had to forget trying to shoot the main straight there were just too many people but having 600mm let me get right into the pit lane action from my seat which was awesome so i spent alot of time getting some interesting pit lane action which is in itself amazing to watch you dont realize how fast those guys are till you try and shoot them with only 6FPS! :P

If Tamron had put panning mode VC on this lens and made the canon mount zoom the correct way with half the throw I would happily pay double the price.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2014, 08:05:20 PM by wickidwombat »
APS-H Fanboy

Roo

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: April 25, 2014, 08:09:44 AM »

Issues well the VC is the biggest issue it utterly blows and was destroying shots got a 0% keeper rate trying to pan with it on so i just turned it off

Focusing I occasionally could not lock at long distance at all but that could be the haze or rain depending which day making it quite low contrast out on the back straight

However Tracking and servo were nothing short of amazing it held lock on the car even when the car went behind the fence or signs.

Also the Zoom Throw is WAY too long it sucks, and the direction is not convenient for being able to zoom and pan with good technique the canon direction is much more condusive to this so i missed lots of shots because of the silly nikon direction zoom.

The other issue is I didn't have a monopod or tripod with me so my arms were falling off by the end of the sessions :P
however i noticed the people with monopods eventually ditched them too.

I think for an enthusiast with the price of this lens it is utterly unbeatable and even at 600mm I am very happy with the images. however I don't think it would cut it for pro use the canon 200-400 would be in a whole other league I think. Not that i have had the pleasure of using the canon.

On race day i had to forget trying to shoot the main straight there were just too many people but having 600mm let me get right into the pit lane action from my seat which was awesome so i spent alot of time getting some interesting pit lane action which is in itself amazing to watch you dont realize how fast those guys are till you try and shoot them with only 6FPS! :P

If Tamron had put panning mode VC on this lens and made the canon mount zoom the correct way with half the throw I would happily pay double the price.

I think you've confirmed most of the issues everyone seems to have with the lens and the lack of panning zoom was one of the first things I noticed. I got used to 'nikon' style zoom as I have a couple of Tamron lenses. However,  I sent mine back a couple of weeks ago to be checked out as I found a few specks of dust inside the front element.   As for the 200-600, well that's in a whole other price league too so I would expect its performance to be on another level :D
5Diii, 60D, Canon 24-105L, Canon 70-200 2.8L is II, Samyang 14 2.8, Tamron 17-50 2.8 vcd, Tamron 90 macro, Tamron 150-600

wickidwombat

• View Profile
« Reply #130 on: April 25, 2014, 11:18:42 PM »
here are 3 sequential shots to demonstrate how well the AF in servo was holding lock I was using Zone AF case 2
on the 5Dmk3 VC was.

APS-H Fanboy

wickidwombat

• View Profile
« Reply #131 on: April 25, 2014, 11:38:27 PM »
some more for the ferrari lovers and tamron @ 600mm critics
APS-H Fanboy

Roo

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: April 26, 2014, 08:21:00 AM »
some more for the ferrari lovers and tamron @ 600mm critics

Love that first shot clearly showing the tyres under load :)  nice detail around the rear wing and exhaust too.  great capture!

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #132 on: April 26, 2014, 08:21:00 AM »

TheJock

• Rebel T5i
  • Learning one day at a time...thanks to CR :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: April 27, 2014, 03:47:56 AM »
I'll be looking for a buyer for my Sigma 150-500 shortly simply to help fund a 100-400L, but I seem to always need long reach, and this Tammy is lookin gooood!!
I wonder if a 100-400L + 1.4xTCIII will have better IQ that the Tammy out at 600mm? anyone care to share experience on that subject to help a buyer out?????????
Great photos mate, you made Kimi look good in his Ferrari, lets face it, looking good's about all he's done with it so far  ;D
70D - 100-400L - 24-105L - 50 f1.8 II - Sigma 10-20 f4-5.6 - Sigma 610 ST.
Next on the hit list - 100L f2.8 USM macro + 1.4xTCIII + 2xTCIII + 430 EX-II

IMG_0001

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: April 28, 2014, 09:35:31 PM »
Nice images there. I'm surprised to read that the Tamron does not have a panning mode for its VC. That  sounds like a major omission considering the targeted market. I guess that was part of the cost-cutting required...

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #134 on: April 28, 2014, 09:35:31 PM »