July 28, 2014, 11:23:15 AM

Author Topic: Expected pricedrop for the Canon 1dx?  (Read 2758 times)

Memdroid

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
Expected pricedrop for the Canon 1dx?
« on: November 12, 2013, 03:50:08 AM »
Hello, long time lurker and first-time poster!
I have a question regarding the 1DX.  Currently I own a 5d2 and a 5d3, both gripped and nearly a dozen L-lenses and I use these bodies almost always together on an assignment. Through the CPS-program I was glad using a 1DX for a month and it blew my mind for how accurate this thing really is in low light (80% of my work environment) across the whole AF area and the output of the images are simply outstanding! Man what a magical camera this is! I'm back using the 5d3 now, even though the images and the controls are very similar but it is a lot harder to get the keepers I want (and slower/tracking to focus).  I never knew the difference would be this big for me and I find myself missing the 1DX tremendously.
Now to my question and the need vs want dilemma. Even though I could afford the 1DX now, but it will hurt my pockets deeply and I would rather use those funds for traveling and taking more pictures! The price is a little too high for me and seeing the camera is out for quite some time, do you think there would be pricedrop in the near future? I considered to buy it second hand and I see quite some good deals but my insurance cannot guarantee full service so that is a problem. For me the near future is in and around Q1 2014 where I have a shitload of assignments piled up until the summer and a camera this capable could be really useful in those situations.
Thanks!
« Last Edit: November 12, 2013, 04:03:12 AM by Memdroid »
1DX - 5DIII - 5DII - 24-70mm L II - 16-35mm L II - 70-200mm L II - 85mm 1.2 L II - 50mm 1.2 L - 24mm L II - 14mm L II - 300mm L II - 3x 600EX

canon rumors FORUM

Expected pricedrop for the Canon 1dx?
« on: November 12, 2013, 03:50:08 AM »

Kwanon

Re: Expected pricedrop for the Canon 1dx?
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2013, 04:17:58 AM »
I don't see any reason for a pricedrop. Even when thet release the 1D S.
It has this proce for a good reason. Because it's a darn great camera.
It's easily worth the price.

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2013, 09:47:06 AM »
It has dropped…by $200 (from Adorama/Amazon) or by $500 if you're comfortable with eBay sellers claiming full USA warranty.

I would not expect much more than that - the 1-series body prices are generally pretty stable, until the successor is released.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

East Wind Photography

• 5D Mark III
  • EWP
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2013, 10:03:09 AM »
I have a question regarding the 1DX.  Currently I own a 5d2 and a 5d3, both gripped and nearly a dozen L-lenses and I use these bodies almost always together on an assignment. Through the CPS-program I was glad using a 1DX for a month and it blew my mind for how accurate this thing really is in low light (80% of my work environment) across the whole AF area and the output of the images are simply outstanding! Man what a magical camera this is! I'm back using the 5d3 now, even though the images and the controls are very similar but it is a lot harder to get the keepers I want (and slower/tracking to focus).  I never knew the difference would be this big for me and I find myself missing the 1DX tremendously.
Now to my question and the need vs want dilemma. Even though I could afford the 1DX now, but it will hurt my pockets deeply and I would rather use those funds for traveling and taking more pictures! The price is a little too high for me and seeing the camera is out for quite some time, do you think there would be pricedrop in the near future? I considered to buy it second hand and I see quite some good deals but my insurance cannot guarantee full service so that is a problem. For me the near future is in and around Q1 2014 where I have a shitload of assignments piled up until the summer and a camera this capable could be really useful in those situations.
Thanks!

My thought on this is if you think you can make up the cost of the camera through your assignments then don't think twice.  If you won't ever make up the difference then stick with the 5d3.  If you can write off the depreciated value as a tax loss then you might be able to play some shell games.

Otherwise it doesn't make sense unless you are buying it for fun.  Business is business and should be mindful of how long it will take to recover the expense.

pelebel

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
    • Photographes de mariage et d'évènements à Québec
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2013, 12:47:56 AM »
Thanks!

My thought on this is if you think you can make up the cost of the camera through your assignments then don't think twice.  If you won't ever make up the difference then stick with the 5d3.  If you can write off the depreciated value as a tax loss then you might be able to play some shell games.

Otherwise it doesn't make sense unless you are buying it for fun.  Business is business and should be mindful of how long it will take to recover the expense.

Well, technically what you say is right, but I have to specify that the 1DX's cost must be paid by ADDED revenues. If you could make the same amount of money with your current gear, it's a no buy.
5D mkII, T2i with 24-70mm f/2.8 L, 135mm f/2 L and 50mm f/1.8 II Photographes de mariage et d'évènements à Québec

Menace

• 1D X
  • New Zealand
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2013, 04:27:28 PM »
1Dx is unlikely to drop $ in the near future. Why not sell the 5dII to off set some of the cost but still keep the 5dIII? This way you'll still have two bodies for your assignments and a 1Dx in your kit too.
1Dx | 5D III
85 1.2L II | 100 2.8 | 400 2.8L IS II 
24-70 2.8L II | 70-200 2.8L IS II

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2013, 07:30:09 PM »
The price varies in a narrow range, but you should negotiate with your dealer for the best price he can offer.  This chart includes ebay prices, but gives you a hint as to what price you can negotiate.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2013, 07:30:09 PM »

Methodical

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2013, 06:50:43 PM »
When in stock, Canon has the refurbished 1Dx for only about $5200 or so.

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2013, 06:59:36 PM »
When in stock, Canon has the refurbished 1Dx for only about $5200 or so.
The Canon refurb price is $5439.20 plus sales tax or about $5850-5900 depending on what your tax rate is. 

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2013, 06:59:36 PM »