August 30, 2014, 02:18:00 AM

Author Topic: And yet again...great talent trumps any amount of equipment  (Read 6857 times)

Pi

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • Math and Photography
Re: And yet again...great talent trumps any amount of equipment
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2013, 01:18:24 AM »
It is not like the guy used an iphone, he used a very capable dSLR (60D). So gear must matter after all.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2013, 01:18:24 AM »

Eldar

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2013, 06:13:25 AM »
Its good stuff, I said that but to me photography and photo collages and manipulations are different subjects. This site is really dedicated to the craft of photography, its not an art site.
To some extent, this is the essense of it, apart from the fact that I think of photography as an art, wheras post processing is a craft.

We have lots of threads here, where what-ever-happens-in-post-processing is discussed. To me, the art of photography is all the things that happen up until the point when you push the shutter release. In many cases that includes planning for what you are going to do in post (which this guy obviously did), but in general it means getting the light, timing, framing and all the camera settings right, to capture the "it" you were out to get.
5DIII, 1DX, 8-15/4L, 16-35 f4L IS, 24-70/2.8L II, 70-200/2.8L IS II, 70-300/4-5.6L IS, 200-400/4L IS 1.4x, Zeiss 15/2.8, 17/4L TS-E, Zeiss 21/2.8, 24/3.5L TS-E II, Sigma 35/1.4 Art, Zeiss Otus 55/1.4, 85/1.2L II, 100/2.8L IS Macro, Zeiss 135/2, 600/4L IS II

Ruined

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2013, 07:35:46 AM »
It is easy to take a photo of something.  Much, much harder to try and be creative and make art.  And it is those people who can that have a much brighter photographic future.

In an overcrowded market, where everyone is capable of taking technically competent images, with rare exceptions, it will only be those who push the boundaries of processing techniques who will be remembered in 200 year's time.

I don't think you need to make this type of art to be successful in the photo industry.  In fact, I'd say having a solid business plan with networking is far more important.  You need to do quality work of course, but if you can capture special moments then you don't need to do loads of artificial post processing and use props, etc.  If you were having a wedding, would you rather have this fellow, his props, and his 60D and single nifty fifty capture it - or would you rather have a photographer with good referrals, solid history of wedding work, and the gear/team to back it up? Not saying you need a 1DX and 70-200 f/2.8/24-70 II to be successful, but these days you do need something halfway decent like a 70D w/ a 17-55 f/2.8 IS and 70-200 f/4 or such. There is room for both, as I would say these type of photos are a niche rather than something you'd build a business taking.

After all, the term 'starving artist' was coined for a reason :)

Gear doesn't take the quality shots, it just might make those quality shots easier and more likely to attain - especially useful when under pressure... Which is another point - this individual may be great in setting up intricate sets and doing post, but may fail completely when put in a high-pressure, realtime situation such as a wedding shooter.  They are not necessarily the same talent.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2013, 07:44:06 AM by Ruined »

ajfotofilmagem

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2013, 08:39:05 AM »
In this respect, I am flabbergasted by the photomontages that were made with tools much more limited than those available today. See this montage of great artist from Brazil, Valério Vieira held in 1901. Valério appears himself thirty times in his work. :o
« Last Edit: November 13, 2013, 08:41:14 AM by ajfotofilmagem »

AcutancePhotography

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2013, 12:15:53 PM »
Just two comments

1.  Art is in the eye of the beholder.  No one can tell anyone else whether something is "good art" or "poor art".  All a person can say is that he or she either likes something or does not like something.

2. The line between "photography" and "computer generated image" is already blurred and will only get more blurred. Since every digital image is, to some extent a "computer generated image, one person's "photograph" is another person's "CGI".

Who is right or wrong?   Both are.  ;D

This is really nothing new.  Back in the film/dark room days we had the same arguments.  People back then were expermenting with different "CGI" -- Chemically Generated Imagery.  Did Ansel Adams produce "photographs" using his LV and Zone system in the darkroom?

One thing that is pretty clear in my opinion -- This is really not something worth arguing about.  :)
I shoot with a Camera Obscura with an optical device attached that refracts and transmits light

jrda2

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2013, 12:28:46 PM »

One thing that is pretty clear in my opinion -- This is really not something worth arguing about.  :)

+1

mackguyver

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Who Dares Wins
    • View Profile
    • My Personal Work
« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2013, 04:30:12 PM »
It always amazes me what kind of images are popular with the masses, even if it's just a fad.
I really gotta get more twisted and come up with some weird cr*p myself.  Shooting technically precise versions of reality may appeal to me and a few others but won't get us on the cover of Rolling Stone.
You and me both.  I entered a local art "contest" to display my work around town and after my work was passed over, they offered to send me samples of the types of photos judges had liked in the past.  With one exception, all of them were over-processed, cliched crap.  Tie dye filters, fake bokeh, sepia tone with fake burned corners, etc.

To me, photography like that is like a lousy steak being slathered with sauces and toppings, insane treble and bass in a cheap stereo system, or lipstick on a pig - whatever you want to call it.  It's covering up sub-par work that's out of focus, poorly composed, etc.

Luckily, less trendy people, i.e., most commercial clients, appreciate quality over flash and are very appreciative of my work. 

I guess I'll never be an "artist", but then again, I've never considered myself one :)
EOS 1D X, 5DIII, M + EF 24 f/1.4II, 50 f/1.2, 85 f/1.2II, 300 f/2.8 IS II || 16-35 f/4 IS, 24-70 f/2.8II, 70-200 f/2.8II || TS-E 17 f/4, 24 f/3.5II || M 22 f/2, 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 IS || 1.4x III, 2x III

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2013, 04:30:12 PM »

bosshog7_2000

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 13, 2013, 05:21:21 PM »
Geez...what a bunch of pretentious 'photographers' we have here.  It's more than a little daft to dismiss his work as that of an 'Instagram Hipster'...please, have some respect.

It seems that this kid has what so many of you are so quick to dismiss him don't have....an imagination.  With a little training....or a lot of trial and error...anybody can make a technically 'good' photo.  On the other hand....not everyone has an eye or the brain for something creative.

To the person who said this kid would be better off 'with a business plan' shooting weddings...sorry, but for many of us that is the personification of photographic Satan.  Personally I get ZERO enjoyment from shooting weddings but hey, if you or others make a buck at it then good for you.

There are numerous ways this kid could leverage his imagination and vision into a paying photography career...once again it is others like you who lack the foresight or imagination to see it:)   I could easily see this kid making a go in the commercial realm while the rest of us sluff our 'technically perfect' yet boring, cliche photos at the doors of stock agencies....or worse yet, sell our souls to the latest Bridezilla who will be burning your vanilla bean hold the foam portraits at her divorce seven years later.

Cheers:)
« Last Edit: November 13, 2013, 05:30:39 PM by bosshog7_2000 »

Janbo Makimbo

• EOS M2
  • 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 13, 2013, 05:38:44 PM »
I bet they never moaned about only having 1 cross type focussing point!!

emag

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 13, 2013, 06:01:07 PM »
I entered some of my photos in a local fair some years ago.  The judges didn't pick any as winners.  Members of the public did ("Peoples' Choice").  That meant even more to me.  My artistic talent/ability is precisely squat, but I knew where I had to be to get that shot and when I had to be there.  A setting summer sun silhouetting a local bridge from a specific vantage point.  Similar stuff's been shot a zillion times.....but it remains one of my favorites and apparently others liked it also.  The same venue had dozens of photos from every wedding photog in the area, most of whom are no longer in business, all interchangeable and so similar.  I hope they still enjoy photography, all were technically competent and good at their craft but just didn't stand out in what is a competitive business.  I've seen many examples of wedding photography on CR that were inspiring and helped me to appreciate what a talented person can do.

I guess my point is, agreeing with AcutancePhotography above, art is truly in the eye of the beholder.  Kyle Thompson's work doesn't do much for me personally but I don't think that makes him any less of an artist, I respect his efforts.

BenKing

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr
« Reply #25 on: November 13, 2013, 06:03:41 PM »
I can't find it now, but I remember reading about this guy a while back, and it stated that he did much of the effects in camera.  Just wanted to throw that out there in case it changes your perspective at all about what he's doing.

Personally, I enjoy his work.
Canon 5D II  -  24-105 f4, 100 2.8 Macro, 50 1.8
Canon 430EX II (x2), 530EX II, Yongnuo YN-622C
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bwking/

BL

• 7D
  • Great gear is good. Good technique is better.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 13, 2013, 06:08:25 PM »
I guess I'll never be an "artist", but then again, I've never considered myself one :)

that's ok.  make art for yourself.  to hell with the masses :D
M, 5Dc, 1Dx, some lenses, a few lights

brad-man

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 13, 2013, 06:42:02 PM »
Geez...what a bunch of pretentious 'photographers' we have here.  It's more than a little daft to dismiss his work as that of an 'Instagram Hipster'...please, have some respect.

It seems that this kid has what so many of you are so quick to dismiss him don't have....an imagination.  With a little training....or a lot of trial and error...anybody can make a technically 'good' photo.  On the other hand....not everyone has an eye or the brain for something creative.

To the person who said this kid would be better off 'with a business plan' shooting weddings...sorry, but for many of us that is the personification of photographic Satan.  Personally I get ZERO enjoyment from shooting weddings but hey, if you or others make a buck at it then good for you.

There are numerous ways this kid could leverage his imagination and vision into a paying photography career...once again it is others like you who lack the foresight or imagination to see it:)   I could easily see this kid making a go in the commercial realm while the rest of us sluff our 'technically perfect' yet boring, cliche photos at the doors of stock agencies....or worse yet, sell our souls to the latest Bridezilla who will be burning your vanilla bean hold the foam portraits at her divorce seven years later.

Cheers:)

Well said, and welcome to CR! Some very disappointing responses happening here. Photography should not be pigeonholed.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: November 13, 2013, 06:42:02 PM »

skullyspice

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
    • Photojensen.com
« Reply #28 on: November 13, 2013, 07:29:55 PM »
"Re: And yet again...great talent trumps any amount of equipment"

and just imagine what he could do with a 5D3 and an 85L!
5D3, 1vHS, 1nRS, F-1N x6, Fuji X-T1, Fuji X100
50 F1.2L, 100 F2.8L Macro, 200 F2.8L, 40 F2.8, 17-40 F4L, 24-105 F4L, 70-300 F4-5.6L
www.photojensen.com

eml58

• 1D X
  • 1Dx
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 13, 2013, 07:36:26 PM »
Well said, and welcome to CR! Some very disappointing responses happening here. Photography should not be pigeonholed.

I agree, welcome to CR, and it's a pity "bosshog" felt it necessary to be as critical in his own post (of critical Posts) as others have been about the original subject, I guess that's Photography to some, very emotive.

Wether we "Like" or "dislike" the work in question, we really should respect the Lads ability, he is doing some very interesting work, sort of Salvador Dali esqe, which has an audience, maybe not on CR, but Salvador Dali sold Paintings, this Lad will almost certainly find a Market as he progresses in experience & ability, I wish him all the very best.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: November 13, 2013, 07:36:26 PM »