July 26, 2014, 03:07:10 AM

Author Topic: Canon EOS 1DX defective Mirror Boxes - Screen Splash - AF Lock-up  (Read 13937 times)

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
Re: Canon EOS 1DX defective Mirror Boxes - Screen Splash - AF Lock-up
« Reply #45 on: November 02, 2013, 08:31:16 AM »
I had oil splatters rather quickly after purchasing - cleaned the sensor myself a few times, but they re-appeared rapidly. Sent to Canon for a free fix and haven't had the issue since (ca. 25K shots since the fix). No other problems.

Sorry to hear about yours.

Thats interesting Vern that the lube splashes ceased on yours. After 5 sensor cleans mine kept going.

That's really unfortunate.  :(

In my case, I don't have any lube splashes, neither before nor after the recall service.  Occasional dust, a bit less than my 5DII seemed to accumulate.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #45 on: November 02, 2013, 08:31:16 AM »

stoneysnapper

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 02, 2013, 06:15:41 PM »
I had oil splatters rather quickly after purchasing - cleaned the sensor myself a few times, but they re-appeared rapidly. Sent to Canon for a free fix and haven't had the issue since (ca. 25K shots since the fix). No other problems.

Sorry to hear about yours.

Thats interesting Vern that the lube splashes ceased on yours. After 5 sensor cleans mine kept going.

That's really unfortunate.  :(

In my case, I don't have any lube splashes, neither before nor after the recall service.  Occasional dust, a bit less than my 5DII seemed to accumulate.

Its a real bummer Neuro, I'm going to do a football match next weekend so it will gets good run at 12fps, I'll compare before and after then get it away for a clean and hope it doesn't reappear.
1Dx, 7D, 24-105, 70-200 IS II, 16-35 II, 100mm Macro IS, 85mm F1.2L II, 24mm F2.8 IS, 18-200, Sigma 1.4x, Canon 2x iii, 430EXII, 600EX- RT, ST-E3 Fuji x100s and X-T1

Vern

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 04, 2013, 09:13:13 PM »
OK, this post made me curious enough to check my 1Dx files more closely. I took a few shots at f22 of solid grey clouds and I can see some quite small spots in the resulting images. I assume these are oil splatters again but they don't show up in my normal uses for this body. I will now clean the sensor and check again after the next volleyball tournament - where I usually shoot a few thousand frames at 12 fps.

The initial spots were larger (maybe 50-100 pixels wide) and darker, so they were easily visible on any relatively uniform subject. These look to be 10 pixels or so and are faint.
1Dx, 5DMKIII, 600 II, 300 II, 200 f2, 135 f2, 85 1.2 II, 100 2.8 IS, 24TS II, 70-200 II, 24-70 II, 16-35 II

garyknrd

• Rebel T5i
  • Birding
    • View Profile
    • Bird photography
« Reply #48 on: November 05, 2013, 06:23:32 AM »
This is really a great thread. I am verrrry hard on my camera body's. After reading this the 1Dx is definitely not going to be in my bag. I get tremors just reading this thread.
Live between Thailand and Texas, USA

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 05, 2013, 07:19:27 AM »
This is really a great thread. I am verrrry hard on my camera body's. After reading this the 1Dx is definitely not going to be in my bag. I get tremors just reading this thread.

Well then, I hope you never do a Google search for "<your make/model of car> problems" or you'll be walking everywhere you need to go.   ;)

The issue being discussed here doesn't seem to be about how hard/easy one is on the camera, but rather certain units with a problem, much like the clicking batch of 24-70 II lenses.  In my case, my 24-70 zooms silently and my 1D X sensor is oil-free.

garyknrd

• Rebel T5i
  • Birding
    • View Profile
    • Bird photography
« Reply #50 on: November 05, 2013, 11:32:05 PM »

Well then, I hope you never do a Google search for "<your make/model of car> problems" or you'll be walking everywhere you need to go.   ;)

The issue being discussed here doesn't seem to be about how hard/easy one is on the camera, but rather certain units with a problem, much like the clicking batch of 24-70 II lenses.  In my case, my 24-70 zooms silently and my 1D X sensor is oil-free.

I know Nuro, and agree somewhat.  I also watch the hard core birding sites and some there are having the same problem. AF is number one for me, along with durability at this point. When I go on a shoot I always shoot hundreds if not a thousand or more shots in a few hours. Also I live and photograph in a very unfriendly harsh environment. 
Pouring over these type of threads has really paid off for me. No more product testing for me. I am at least a second generation camera buyer.

It may or may not affect me (if I bought). But, it is an issue that would stop me in my tracks. And I cannot afford two, one as a backup. At this point I am happy with my 1D mark IV, I cannot say enough good about it. An amazing camera for my birding photography hobby.

Cheers, Gary

www.flickr.com/photos/avianphotos
www.birdsthatfart.com
« Last Edit: November 05, 2013, 11:38:42 PM by garyknrd »

stoneysnapper

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 15, 2013, 03:09:19 PM »
Was out and about today and taking some seascapes. I thought I'd give a try to a horizontal pan at a slowish shutter speed. I was using a 70-200 F2.8L IS II, so to get it down to a slow enough speed (1/5th sec) I needed to drop the aperture to F32. I'd never normally shoot above F16 to be honest but thats what I needed in conjunction with ISO50. Anyway, here is what the shot looked like. This is on a camera with 2400 shutter activations. This is my 2nd 1Dx.

Utterly depressing. The PP to remove these would make me lose the will to live. My normal shots at F16 required me to clone out 64 lube spots. I know one or two of these are not lube spots but most definitely are. View it at 100% to really see the issue.

« Last Edit: November 15, 2013, 03:10:58 PM by stoneysnapper »
1Dx, 7D, 24-105, 70-200 IS II, 16-35 II, 100mm Macro IS, 85mm F1.2L II, 24mm F2.8 IS, 18-200, Sigma 1.4x, Canon 2x iii, 430EXII, 600EX- RT, ST-E3 Fuji x100s and X-T1

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #51 on: November 15, 2013, 03:09:19 PM »

duydaniel

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 15, 2013, 03:18:23 PM »
Was out and about today and taking some seascapes. I thought I'd give a try to a horizontal pan at a slowish shutter speed. I was using a 70-200 F2.8L IS II, so to get it down to a slow enough speed (1/5th sec) I needed to drop the aperture to F32. I'd never normally shoot above F16 to be honest but thats what I needed in conjunction with ISO50. Anyway, here is what the shot looked like. This is on a camera with 2400 shutter activations. This is my 2nd 1Dx.

Utterly depressing. The PP to remove these would make me lose the will to live. My normal shots at F16 required me to clone out 64 lube spots. I know one or two of these are not lube spots but most definitely are. View it at 100% to really see the issue.

Don't be depressed!
Since you had a history with Canon and your case on file, why not try to get them buy back your 1Dx and wait for something else or buy a 5D3 for landscape work?

rebop

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 15, 2013, 03:33:05 PM »
Wow. Just wow.

First, thanks everybody for stopping me before I bought a 1DX. I'm just an amateur with a passion, so big investment. And I found a deal and decided to just check problems and issues one time before I bought. I found you here and one other good discussion.

It amazes me Canon has not fixed this yet and is not talking about it. Amazes me. If I did not have a huge investment in lenses and two other bodies, I'd consider another brand. And then I understand they might not be much better.

I just feel the definition of professional quality is being overlooked here and what value the customer should expect for something this pricey. Not to mention how high they seem not to be jumping to remedy the situation.

I feel for you all and appreciate that I got stopped before I joined the group as another with an issue.

duydaniel

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 15, 2013, 03:48:28 PM »
Wow. Just wow.

First, thanks everybody for stopping me before I bought a 1DX. I'm just an amateur with a passion, so big investment. And I found a deal and decided to just check problems and issues one time before I bought. I found you here and one other good discussion.

It amazes me Canon has not fixed this yet and is not talking about it. Amazes me. If I did not have a huge investment in lenses and two other bodies, I'd consider another brand. And then I understand they might not be much better.

I just feel the definition of professional quality is being overlooked here and what value the customer should expect for something this pricey. Not to mention how high they seem not to be jumping to remedy the situation.

I feel for you all and appreciate that I got stopped before I joined the group as another with an issue.

This probably not related to 1Dx but I doubt you would find IQ improvement comparing 1Dx to, say 70D.
Before losing your mind, let me explains.

I shoot landscape so I don't usually go mad high ISO. If I want long exposure, I will get my tripod etc.
If that was the case to you, then you will get little benefit from camera such 1Dx caliber.
The 1Dx, however, shines in "utter darkness" where you go hunt big foot or aliens.

So the biggest bet for me is the lens quality, sensor size from crop to full offers little benefit beside ISO 6400+

rebop

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 15, 2013, 03:52:25 PM »

This probably not related to 1Dx but I doubt you would find IQ improvement comparing 1Dx to, say 70D.
Before losing your mind, let me explains.

I shoot landscape so I don't usually go mad high ISO. If I want long exposure, I will get my tripod etc.
If that was the case to you, then you will get little benefit from camera such 1Dx caliber.
The 1Dx, however, shines in "utter darkness" where you go hunt big foot or aliens.

So the biggest bet for me is the lens quality, sensor size from crop to full offers little benefit beside ISO 6400+

I agree. However my favorite shooting is concerts and the high ISO does play here. As well as the full frame sensor. So its 5D MK III or wait for a fixed 1DX or replacement.

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 15, 2013, 04:02:40 PM »
First, thanks everybody for stopping me before I bought a 1DX.

Don't thank me, I have no issues of this sort with my 1D X. I check my sensor weekly, and of course there are a couple of specks occasionally.  But it needs cleaning less frequently than my 5DII did, and certainly I haven't experienced anything like the issues some people are describing.

...sensor size from crop to full offers little benefit beside ISO 6400+

Live the dream! The only benefit to APS-C is that it's cheaper.  A bigger sensor means less enlargement which means a sharper image.   End of story.

stoneysnapper

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 15, 2013, 04:03:48 PM »

Don't be depressed!
Since you had a history with Canon and your case on file, why not try to get them buy back your 1Dx and wait for something else or buy a 5D3 for landscape work?

I'm trying not to, I've emailed them 4 images today starting with the first image out of the camera to the ones I took today showing progression of the issue. Like I said before shoot below F8-11 and its not really a problem, anything above that and it is. Vast majority of owners/users/lenders of this camera wont shoot above F8. I'm a lucky enthusiast who can afford one of these, I wanted to get into sports stuff so hence why I bought it, most of my shooting would be ok with a 5Diii, but I wanted the best or so I thought....

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #57 on: November 15, 2013, 04:03:48 PM »

garyknrd

• Rebel T5i
  • Birding
    • View Profile
    • Bird photography
« Reply #58 on: November 16, 2013, 08:27:51 AM »
I went threw this same issue with the Pentax K-5. It was very stressful.  And the reason I moved to Canon!

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #58 on: November 16, 2013, 08:27:51 AM »