October 23, 2014, 03:20:45 PM

Author Topic: 7D + 50mm 1.8  (Read 11858 times)

Jedifarce

Re: 7D + 50mm 1.8
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2011, 06:32:37 AM »

Also, when I came in here to respond I noticed in an earlier post you indicated that Shane Hurlbut recommends 1/50th shutter for 30p.  This is incorrect.  His point relates to simulating film camera shutter, and you vaguely accomplish this with a video camera by doubling the frame rate.  So, for 24 frames per second your shutter would be 1/48.  However, Canon DSLRs don't do 1/48 -- so you set them to the closest -- 1/50.

Wrong. I'd love to know where you receive your information, perhaps you can provide a reference for us to check the validity of your statement here. It's very common knowledge that Shane Hurlbut recommends the 30fps over 24. All one needs to do is go over to the Red Centre Podcast, titled 'Red Day & Shane Hurlbut' and hear his words for yourself. To save you the trouble I'll quote directly some of the statements made on that Podcast -

- When asked about 24p,  "24p is dead to me...The cocktail is shooting at 30p and then twixtoring to 24p." Shane Hurlbut

- When asked what shutter speed he uses, "I use a 40th or a 50th of a shutter, you never go above that. Anytime you go above that you start looking like video." Shane Hurlbut

- When asked if he used a 1/60th shutter speed when filming at 30p, "No, oh boy, no, 60th is a recipe for disaster. That's instantly taking your beautiful 5D that gives you filmic images and turning into a panasonic 3700." Shane Hurlbut

Perhaps, a bit less arrogance and a bit more research on your part AGMedia, you might learn something.

This doesn't apply to 30p, as it has no relationship to over a hundred years of film cameras -- that have been filming at 24p since Thomas Edison.  30p is American television -- the soap opera look.  Set your shutter to whatever you want at 30p -- because simulating a film camera shutter at 30p is pure fantasy.

You'll have to let the members here know when you've garnered the credentials equal to that of Shane Hurlbut or when you've put out a major motion picture or two as he has.

By the way, have you heard of the upcoming motion picture titled, 'Act of Valor' filmed by Shane Hurlbut on a Canon 5D shot at 30p? It helps to stop living in a bubble.

For slow motion -- shoot at 60p.  30p doesn't give you enough room for anything meaningful.

I never mentioned anything about slow motion, I specifically cited slowing down the video, there's a difference. You'd know that if you've ever edited videos. If I really wanted slow motion footage I'd buy a RED camera which is capable of 100fps or greater.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2011, 07:45:44 AM by Jedifarce »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2011, 06:32:37 AM »

AGMedia

« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2011, 05:50:12 PM »
It helps to stop living in a bubble.

Kid, you have no idea to whom you're speaking, and if you're arguing against 24p -- you're the one in a bubble.  "Twixtoring to 24p" may have made sense prior to the 24p patch on the 5D, but it makes no sense for general purposes (only for very specific situations), and certainly doesn't significantly increase motion capabilities.

If you need references for the 1/48th shutter concept -- I can only conclude that you work at Burger King.

"Act of Valor" was filmed with film, 5D, and 7D cameras.  There wasn't one single camera nor one single frame rate.  30p was the highest frame rate available on the 5Dm2.

And, if this is the level of discussion on this forum -- I'm outta here.

Jedifarce

« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2011, 01:20:07 AM »

Kid, you have no idea to whom you're speaking,

An individual not terribly bright as it would seem.

and if you're arguing against 24p -- you're the one in a bubble.  "Twixtoring to 24p" may have made sense prior to the 24p patch on the 5D, but it makes no sense for general purposes (only for very specific situations), and certainly doesn't significantly increase motion capabilities.

Goodness, is this how you're attempting to spin the arguement? Let us not forget that you were under the misunderstanding that I did not have any comprehension with doubling the shutter speed in regards to frame rate. My statement still stands which is that Shane Hurlbut films at 30p with 1/50 shutter, the fact you were ignorant of this is your fault not mine. 

If you need references for the 1/48th shutter concept -- I can only conclude that you work at Burger King.

Oh dear, is this truly the best you can do to sway the masses to your side? How sad. 

"Act of Valor" was filmed with film, 5D, and 7D cameras.  There wasn't one single camera nor one single frame rate.  30p was the highest frame rate available on the 5Dm2.

Once again, please cite your information instead of spouting nonsense. I gave you a website with a podcast proving my points, while you are reduced to sticking your empty head in the ground in a lame attempt to hide from the facts.

And, if this is the level of discussion on this forum -- I'm outta here.

If you don't come armed with the facts and your views are simply a mountain of lies, don't get upset when people call you on them.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2011, 01:21:44 AM by Jedifarce »

KBX500

« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2011, 02:33:02 AM »
Jedifarce,

Do you work in this field ?
Fulltime ?
Is it a paid position ?
What is it that you do ?
How many years of experience do you have ?
And dare I ask, how old you are ?

« Last Edit: October 10, 2011, 02:34:44 AM by KBX500 »

Jedifarce

« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2011, 12:57:17 PM »
Jedifarce,

Do you work in this field ?
Fulltime ?
Is it a paid position ?
What is it that you do ?
How many years of experience do you have ?
And dare I ask, how old you are ?

Hmmm, have I made any errorenous points you wish to dispute? Otherwise none of that information is pertinent to the discussion.

The sad fact you feel the need to resort to these obvious desperate measures demonstrates your inability to debate effectively in the arena of ideas.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2011, 01:00:04 PM by Jedifarce »

KBX500

« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2011, 09:39:52 PM »
They are just simple questions.
We all want to know more about the
person we should be worshipping.
Surely one of such omnipotence can't
be afraid of simple questions.

pdirestajr

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • flickr
« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2011, 11:43:39 PM »
This thread has gone down an absurd path.
7D | 5DII | EOS-3 | Nikon F3 | Mamiya 645 Pro-TL

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2011, 11:43:39 PM »

J Live

« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2011, 10:14:42 PM »
Since you're looking for a cinematic look, my advice would be to shoot 1080p24 at 1/50 with variable ND filters. I think 'twixtering' to 24 will just cause you frustration, watching progress bars and filling Hard drives - just start shooting (and editing) and making mistakes and learning about DOF & camera movement, sequences etc. If you want to get that extra 5% quality bump later on then start seeking more advanced advice about work flow. Shane Hurlbut's work is being blown up to be shown in theatres, even 1% improvement in quality means a lot to him because of that fact, which is also why he uses >$10K lenses. Don't try and aim for anything near that level right out of the gate.

The Prolost forum article (someone mentioned here) on 'flattening your 5D' about adjusting your picture profile from the default settings is very important to do before you shoot anything really important.

I wouldn't necessarily agree with 'not' shooting wide open as some advise here. You sort of have decide for each shot what you want as far as depth of field and go from there - in some cases you may want less than an inch of focus to draw the eye to a certain object on screen - so 1.8 may be the best choice for that particular shot, whereas f11 (deep focus shots) may be better for another shot/scene from a storytelling POV. Decide on your DOF then set your other parameters for proper exposure around that - which generally means (since your shutter speed is locked) either ND filters if you're outside in bright daylight or adjusting ISO inside.

As a small aside, slagging 30p as being 'American TV soap opera.' is simply incorrect - the P stands for progressive and TV has, until quite recently, always been interlaced - so that was 60 fields per second, not 30p - big visual difference. When pro cameras started being able to shoot 30p it was a big deal in the industry - I was almost as happy about the death of interlace as the death of the 4x3 aspect ratio. I shoot almost everything in 1080p30 (29.97) because I work in TV and that's the delivery format required by networks  and I often have to incorporate existing footage and motion graphics so conforming from 24p to 29.97 is not a 'good time had by all' - But if I were to work on shorts, features or music videos i'd shoot those projects in 24p.

Good luck

« Last Edit: October 24, 2011, 11:24:18 PM by J Live »

tnelson42345

« Reply #23 on: November 16, 2011, 04:03:49 PM »
So help me out on this please. A slower shutter will equal more of a film look? Or is it just that the sweet spot is around 1/50? Can the shutter be to slow for a film look?

FunkyJam

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 16, 2011, 06:24:56 PM »
J live, thanks a lot for your answer. There's just one thing that is bothering me. Why must I (Yeah I know it's not a must, I can try whatever I want :) ) shoot at 1/50 when shooting with 24p.

What's does it exactly do? Thanks in advance
« Last Edit: November 16, 2011, 07:53:40 PM by FunkyJam »

Jettatore

« Reply #25 on: November 16, 2011, 08:18:48 PM »
Because that is the standard look for a 24 fps without moving into special effects of a high shutter speed saving private ryan hellzone or a low shutter speed, cars racing around with light trails falling off the back tokyo drift.

rmblack

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 16, 2011, 08:43:48 PM »
also keep in mind if you are shooting with indoor lighting at 1/50th in North America there will be flickering in your footage due to the electricity cylcing at 60hz. (fluorescent or mercury vapor lights)  this is because your shutter is out of sync with the electricity 50vs60.  so yes, solve it by shooting at 1/60th in these conditions, or 120 etc. if you're going for a specific look.  As background, I film freerunning/parkour with my 5DmkII and personally, prefer shooting at 1/125th vs. 1/50th for the action.  Shooting at a higher shutter speed is also necessary for "twixtoring," although I don't recommend twixtoring any of the footage from the 5d as, discussed earlier, it's limited to 30p.  But shutter speed affects video the same way as photos, if you think about it its just creating 24/30/60/x stills and putting them together in a 1 second time window.  good luck with the filming, and if you do try to twixtor with your 60p footage, make sure you are shooting over 1/500th shutter speed and have a plain background (sky, out of focus, etc), and don't allow your subject to move their arm across their body.  difference would be - a decent usable twixtor - guy walking towards the camera with arms at sides, no overlap of body.  bad twixtor - guy walking past the camera left to right, a lot of overlap of swinging arms.  If you visualize your scene in 2D, it is a lot easier to determine how your footage will turn out.  I always try to focus on the end goal when I film, and especially with high action shots like freerunning its hard to get things right consistently.  good luck!
Canon 5D mkII - 80-200 2.8L (Magic Drainpipe) - 28-70 2.8L USM - 100mm 2.8 USM Macro - 50mm 1.4 USM - 580exII - Pixel Knight triggers - f-stop Loka - Feisol 3441t + Markins Q3t

rmblack

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 16, 2011, 08:59:02 PM »

Oh dear, is this truly the best you can do to sway the masses to your side? How sad. 

haha I've gotta say, I was almost swayed.  It did make my laugh out loud and get me some funny looks in the cafe though :P  A rough night on CR it seems lol
Canon 5D mkII - 80-200 2.8L (Magic Drainpipe) - 28-70 2.8L USM - 100mm 2.8 USM Macro - 50mm 1.4 USM - 580exII - Pixel Knight triggers - f-stop Loka - Feisol 3441t + Markins Q3t

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: November 16, 2011, 08:59:02 PM »

tnelson42345

« Reply #28 on: November 16, 2011, 10:02:55 PM »
Should you keep your shutter the same for the entire film? Or should it change from scene to scene?

rmblack

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 16, 2011, 11:16:40 PM »
It should change if you are planning on a different look.  Keeping things consistent is good, but sometimes you want to give more impact to a shot, like slow motion.  HDSLRs don't shoot over 60fps, so it requires a high shutter speed if you plan on twixtoring your footage in post (which would be required for anything slower than half speed or whatever percent of 100 24/60 is :P )  hope that helps?  maybe someone with more experience shooting will comment

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: November 16, 2011, 11:16:40 PM »