August 02, 2014, 02:14:12 AM

Author Topic: ProDot Shutter Button Upgrade  (Read 3654 times)

vlad

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
ProDot Shutter Button Upgrade
« on: November 14, 2013, 06:02:31 PM »
Anybody ever used this?
http://www.customslr.com/products/prodot

For the record, I supported their kickstarter for the C-Loop, and i use their glide strap.  I love both and will likely get the new strap (http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/customslr/air-strap-a-camera-strap-that-does-more-with-less)

The dot seems like a gimmick though.  Is it?

canon rumors FORUM

ProDot Shutter Button Upgrade
« on: November 14, 2013, 06:02:31 PM »

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • View Profile
Re: ProDot Shutter Button Upgrade
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2013, 06:41:12 PM »
The hype seems over the top silly!  So is the price.  These might cost all of $5 cents to make, you can make hundreds of them with a tube of silicone.
$11.95  for two with shipping!!

I was interested because I have a severe los of feeling in my fingers and can't find the shutter button by feel.  I might have bought the product for the over priced $8, but they add on $4 for shipping that costs between 40 and 78 cents for postage.  They are trying to get rich and won't get my money.
I have long added a drop of hot melt adhesive to the top of micro switches in digital scales to compensate for poor tolerances and to give ease of operation for the user.

I am good at making things like that, I might make a mold and give it a try.  It couldn't cost me anything but 30 minutes of playing around.  Of course, I only have clear or white silicon on hand, white might work well on that new SL1 that's rumored.   :)

lion rock

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2013, 06:54:26 PM »
Spokane,
You are very inventive.  I like the hot melt glue idea, may be make hot melt glue in a mold to give a little nice shape.
You're source of idea.
-r

jsexton

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
    • Raw Light Photos
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2013, 06:59:17 PM »
I got some early prototypes when I ordered a c-loop (which I really like) and they didn't stick for very long.  One came off first time I took my 7d out of my camera bag.  The one on my 5D came off after about 30 shutter activation's in warm summer weather.  Unless they fix the adhesive and make the price a lot more attractive (I've got experience with mold costs) and change their shipping methods I don't see these taking off.
4 Canon bodies and a bunch of lenses.

Mt Spokane Photography

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2013, 07:15:19 PM »
I got some early prototypes when I ordered a c-loop (which I really like) and they didn't stick for very long.  One came off first time I took my 7d out of my camera bag.  The one on my 5D came off after about 30 shutter activation's in warm summer weather.  Unless they fix the adhesive and make the price a lot more attractive (I've got experience with mold costs) and change their shipping methods I don't see these taking off.

Since these are not injection molded, just silicone, soft tooling is not expensive.  You could even print them.

I have a roll od adhesive dots, I think I'll experiment with using them to hold on a elevated button.  At a penny each or less, I would not care if they fell off occasionally, but they would need to stick for a reasonable time.

3M makes some good primers for silicone, we used it in some Aerospace applications, the test is that it must stick better than the strength of the silicone, so we tore up a lot of silicone verifying that its possible.

Cost is the issue, its only practical in a production environment.

Mt Spokane Photography

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2013, 08:40:16 PM »
After doing some chores, I spent 10 minutes and made a test sample with a leather punch, a rubber furniture pad and a adhesive dot just to see if the concept was workable.  The button actually stands up a little too high, I could use a piece of thinner material, maybe even leather.  The adhesive dots I happened to have were 1/2 in diameter, and I used the punch to cut them to the same size as my button.

The photo was taken with my 5D MK II and the test button.  It seems to stick pretty well, I'll play with it and try making one thinner.
Update, I tried to peal it off, but the flimsy rubber pulled apart instead, so I'll find some more durable rubber or leather.  At least the adhesive is stronger than the material.

I think I could stamp out these for well under 5 cents each.

« Last Edit: November 14, 2013, 08:44:54 PM by Mt Spokane Photography »

TAF

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2013, 10:10:33 PM »

I too got a couple free when with an order.

I am sorry I applied it to the camera.  The adhesive smeared all over the area around the shutter button, and it is very difficult to remove this material.  Then I noticed that the shutter button now spins freely (it did not before I applied the disk), probably because as the camera is put in and out of the bag the little knubs grab the bag.

It's a really nice idea (and I do like the feel), but overall not a very well executed item.

I absolutely love their C-Loop, so this one is a surprising disappointment.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2013, 10:10:33 PM »

Rienzphotoz

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Peace unto all ye Canon, Nikon & Sony shooters
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2013, 02:43:35 AM »
In India we get a dozen of these for less than 20 cents ... women use them to decorate their foreheads, in my country its called a Bindi ... I think this so called "Pro" dot is a bit of a rip off.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2013, 04:47:45 AM by Rienzphotoz »
Canon 5DMK3 70D | Nikon D610 | Sony a7 a6000 | RX100M3 | 16-35/2.8LII | 70-200/2.8LISII | 100/2.8LIS | 100-400LIS | 40/2.8 | 50/1.4 | 85/1.8 | 600EX-RTx2 | ST-E3-RT | 24/3.5 T-S | 10-18/4 OSS 16-50 | 24-70/4OSS | 55/1.8 | 55-210 OSS | 70-200/4 OSS | 28-300VR | HVL-F43M | GoPro Black 3+ & DJI Phantom

Sporgon

• 1D X
  • 5% of gear used 95% of the time
    • View Profile
    • www.buildingpanoramics.com
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2013, 05:17:26 AM »
Upgrade or downgrade ?

eLroberto

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2013, 05:29:22 AM »
Does someone watched the video? Makes me laugh :).
Kind regards, eLroberto

7D | 50 f/1.4 | 17-40L | 24-105L | 70-200L IS II | 580 EX | 580 EX II | Sigma 18-35 f/1.8 | TC-80N3 | Manfrotto tri- and monopod | many filters

RAKAMRAK

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2013, 06:46:08 AM »
After looking at the video I have a question about my photographing technique. I generally always keep my forefinger (of right hand) on the shutter button. It always touches the button and when I am about to take the photo I press it (once, since I generally use back button focus). But the video show that the forefinger is kept far away and at the moment of the capture it looks like it "hits" the shutter button rather than gently press it. I hope my technique is correct and not the one shown in the video. Yeah, me from India too and a thich swede type or velvet bindi will do the trick as well.
Need to learn a lot more.
My Flickr Page

1kind

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2013, 12:40:02 PM »

I too got a couple free when with an order.

I am sorry I applied it to the camera.  The adhesive smeared all over the area around the shutter button, and it is very difficult to remove this material.  Then I noticed that the shutter button now spins freely (it did not before I applied the disk), probably because as the camera is put in and out of the bag the little knubs grab the bag.

It's a really nice idea (and I do like the feel), but overall not a very well executed item.

I absolutely love their C-Loop, so this one is a surprising disappointment.

The shutter button spins even without the button. We just don't notice it because its low.

I didn't have any issue with smearing. If there was, a little rubbing would do just fine.

Here are additional images of it - http://www.1kindphotography.com/2013/01/review-custom-slr-prodot-shutter-button.html

1kind

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2013, 12:42:42 PM »
After doing some chores, I spent 10 minutes and made a test sample with a leather punch, a rubber furniture pad and a adhesive dot just to see if the concept was workable.  The button actually stands up a little too high, I could use a piece of thinner material, maybe even leather.  The adhesive dots I happened to have were 1/2 in diameter, and I used the punch to cut them to the same size as my button.

The photo was taken with my 5D MK II and the test button.  It seems to stick pretty well, I'll play with it and try making one thinner.
Update, I tried to peal it off, but the flimsy rubber pulled apart instead, so I'll find some more durable rubber or leather.  At least the adhesive is stronger than the material.

I think I could stamp out these for well under 5 cents each.
Great idea but your theory only raises the shutter button. With the ProDot, they're marketing is also raising the button but with less camera shake when pressing the button due to the little cushion.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2013, 12:42:42 PM »

mackguyver

• Who Dares Wins
    • View Profile
    • My Personal Work
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2013, 01:44:36 PM »
Upgrade or downgrade ?
+1 on that!  I customized one of my shutter buttons with a wet finger covered in DEET.  My fingerprint was permanently etched into it and the new texture gave it a better grip.  It's not recommended, but it really "personalizes" your camera ;)
EOS 1D X, 5DIII, M + EF 24 f/1.4II, 50 f/1.2, 85 f/1.2II, 300 f/2.8 IS II || 16-35 f/4 IS, 24-70 f/2.8II, 70-200 f/2.8II || TS-E 17 f/4, 24 f/3.5II || M 22 f/2, 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 IS || 1.4x III, 2x III

Rienzphotoz

• Peace unto all ye Canon, Nikon & Sony shooters
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2013, 04:06:48 PM »
Does someone watched the video? Makes me laugh :).
Unfortunately I did ... it did not make me laugh, but I was shocked
Canon 5DMK3 70D | Nikon D610 | Sony a7 a6000 | RX100M3 | 16-35/2.8LII | 70-200/2.8LISII | 100/2.8LIS | 100-400LIS | 40/2.8 | 50/1.4 | 85/1.8 | 600EX-RTx2 | ST-E3-RT | 24/3.5 T-S | 10-18/4 OSS 16-50 | 24-70/4OSS | 55/1.8 | 55-210 OSS | 70-200/4 OSS | 28-300VR | HVL-F43M | GoPro Black 3+ & DJI Phantom

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2013, 04:06:48 PM »