July 29, 2014, 04:51:34 AM

Author Topic: 5D III focusing at events - slow  (Read 943 times)

Mike UK

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
5D III focusing at events - slow
« on: November 17, 2013, 05:56:00 PM »
I use the 5D III for dance, school sports events where people move about erratically.

I previously used a 1D III also a 7D

I use ,9 point, center single point single shot focusing where I follow my subject with the center focused-locked, half depressing the shutter,  on the subject I then quickly re-frame, as the subject is still moving,  and complete the shot.

Not very happy as the old 1D III also the 7D were much faster at finding and keeping the focus with fewer missed shots.
Can somebody tell me how come the new 5D is slower at focusing simple focusing tasks then the 1D III and the 7D?

Am I missing something?

Your wisdom is appreciated.

canon rumors FORUM

5D III focusing at events - slow
« on: November 17, 2013, 05:56:00 PM »

Grumbaki

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
Re: 5D III focusing at events - slow
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2013, 09:00:38 PM »
I use the 5D III for dance, school sports events where people move about erratically.

I use ,9 point, center single point single shot focusing where I follow my subject with the center focused-locked, half depressing the shutter,  on the subject I then quickly re-frame, as the subject is still moving,  and complete the shot.

Not very happy as the old 1D III also the 7D were much faster at finding and keeping the focus with fewer missed shots.
Can somebody tell me how come the new 5D is slower at focusing simple focusing tasks then the 1D III and the 7D?

Am I missing something?

Look at the AF options (the "AF servo styles") to get the best setting, while not perfect, I found them quite efficient.

On a 5d3, except for exceptionnal composition or very low light, the need for focus and recompose should really be minimal.

I shoot 99% of the time single point focus and the center point is probably used 10% of the time or less. Cutting the focus recompose crap was my main reason to go with the 5d3.

Dylan777

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
    • http://dylannguyen.500px.com/home
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2013, 10:05:51 PM »

Am I missing something?

What case were you on?

I shoot 9point expansion, case 2, AI servo quite often, keeper rate is 8/10 - low light & good light it doesn't matter.

Avoid tracking with f1ish aperture. Stay with f2.8 down...
« Last Edit: November 17, 2013, 10:10:43 PM by Dylan777 »
Body: 1DX -- 5D III
Zoom: 24-70L II -- 70-200L f2.8 IS II
Prime: 40mm -- 85L II -- 135L -- 400L f2.8 IS II

jonathan7007

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2013, 11:51:49 PM »
UK Mike,
There are good suggestions that precede this; try also back button focus control with servo. This works best if you can get used to shifting the focus cluster, too, around the field -- on the fly -- with the camera at your eye.

There is one long recent thread here on back button focus (BBF) which is interesting to read. I love BBF now. Like most I adapted quickly. First couple of shoots goofy things happened (not pro work) and then I had the habits down.

It is true, though, that there are some slow 5D3 units. Mine is dodgy (slow or hunting) in low light focusing and it can be replicated during side-by-side comparisons to a friend's body of the same model. I am not pleased but Canon said they cannot make it happen. (Of course, they are in an office!) My bad for not being aggressive about testing it in the first 30 days. Is your body OK when you don't have to recompose?

jonathan7007

Menace

• 1D X
  • New Zealand
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2013, 12:12:08 AM »
UK Mike,
There are good suggestions that precede this; try also back button focus control with servo. This works best if you can get used to shifting the focus cluster, too, around the field -- on the fly -- with the camera at your eye.

Good advice - i find back button focus to be a great help. Do give it a good go.
1Dx | 5D III
85 1.2L II | 100 2.8 | 400 2.8L IS II 
24-70 2.8L II | 70-200 2.8L IS II

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2013, 12:12:08 AM »