October 01, 2014, 02:16:45 PM

Author Topic: Canon 40mm f/2.8 Lens: Thoughts? Reviews? Is it worth getting?  (Read 9128 times)

TexPhoto

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
Re: Canon 40mm f/2.8 Lens: Thoughts? Reviews? Is it worth getting?
« Reply #45 on: November 17, 2013, 06:42:05 PM »
It's fun.  i like it.  I think I paid $110 or so used. 

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #45 on: November 17, 2013, 06:42:05 PM »

RustyTheGeek

• Buy and Sell
  • 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • Images I've Shot...
« Reply #46 on: November 17, 2013, 09:16:45 PM »
I like it.  Yes, it has a manual focus ring - note that it's an STM lens, so it's 'focus by wire' (power is required for manual focusing).

It's quite sharp wide open.  I find it most useful because of it's small size - when I'm primarly planning to shoot with a long lens, I can easily bring the 40/2.8 along.  I often use the 70-200/2.8 for events, and since it's hanging from a Blackrapid strap, if I need wider I can switch to the 40/2.8 which I keep in my pocket, leaving the white zoom hanging from the strap.  I could use my 24-70, but I'd have to carry that in a belt pouch - the pancake is very convenient.

Hmmm.  Neat idea!
Yes, but what would  surapon  say ??  :D

Chosenbydestiny

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 18, 2013, 02:31:38 AM »
I call it my vacation lens. I'd almost never use it for work but when I want to travel for personal enjoyment and get better shots than a camera phone or better than a point and shoot I take the pancake lens. Sometimes I even pair it with an 85mm 1.8 for a small and light travel setup with a 6D.
Nikon electric fan, gas stove, and slippers. Canon Elan 7, 1D Mark III, 5D mark III, and 2x6D. Canon 24mm Samyang/Rokinon, 85L, 135L, and many other lenses. 2x Canon 580ex II, third party speedlites, studio strobes

bainsybike

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 18, 2013, 03:50:42 AM »
Do any of you have any experiences/insight with the 40mm 2.8 on the EOS M? I'm curious how that combo would work. I'm considering the 50mm 1.4, but I'd really like to keep the size/impact of the M to what it really is meant to be, and if the 40 is a good alternative I'd like to know.

Thanks in advance.

There's a thread on this - http://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php?topic=16213.0.  I like using it with the M - handles nicely and pairs well with the 22mm.

HankMD

• Canon AE-1
  • SLR newbie since July, 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 18, 2013, 06:56:55 AM »
Anyway, for $150...I was thinking of playing with it...but wondering if so cheap, is it worth messing with at all?

Go for it! Obviously we've all had it for no more than a year or so, but the build quality seems surprisingly good for the price. Image-wise it's the best lens I have and the only one I have for my 6D. (OK, that says something about my meager collection ;) ) I recently took it along on a trip to Macau and suffice it to say, I am happy with the results.
6D | 7D | 10-22 | 40 | 18-135 IS | 70-200 IS II | Tamron 150-600

HankMD

• Canon AE-1
  • SLR newbie since July, 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 18, 2013, 07:06:07 AM »
Don't buy new. There would be plenty of impulsive photographers like mackguyver and me who used it for five minutes then pushed it straight out onto eBay/Craigslist/Gumtree. You should get a pristine one for under $100.

If getting it used, try to get one with the latest firmware to correct for loss of AF. I've run into the problem a few times.
6D | 7D | 10-22 | 40 | 18-135 IS | 70-200 IS II | Tamron 150-600

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 18, 2013, 09:07:51 AM »
Don't buy new. There would be plenty of impulsive photographers like mackguyver and me who used it for five minutes then pushed it straight out onto eBay/Craigslist/Gumtree. You should get a pristine one for under $100.

If getting it used, try to get one with the latest firmware to correct for loss of AF. I've run into the problem a few times.

The firmware for the lens can be updated if you have a recent camera body.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #51 on: November 18, 2013, 09:07:51 AM »

Sporgon

• 1D X
  • 5% of gear used 95% of the time
    • View Profile
    • www.buildingpanoramics.com
« Reply #52 on: November 18, 2013, 09:23:06 AM »

At BP we've got two, both the lenses have a '2' as the third digit of the serial number. Haven't had any problems with either and I often accidentally push the barrel in when putting the lens cap on. We haven't updated either.

From what I understand pushing the barrel back into the body whilst the camera is switched on and still awake can give rise to the malfunction.

mackguyver

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Who Dares Wins
    • View Profile
    • My Personal Work
« Reply #53 on: November 18, 2013, 09:32:33 AM »
I'm still trying to decide what to do with mine, but that's good advice.  I think a lot of us got one for a good price, but haven't found a use for it.  My main issues with it are the AF speed (I'm so spoiled by USM), the f/2.8 aperture doesn't get me anything over my zooms, and I find the EOS M + EF-M 22mm much more convenient.  I don't love the focus by wire, either.  I hate it on my 85 f/1.2 II and EF-M lenses already, but they offer so much in exchange that I don't mind the trade off for them.  On the 40, I just find it annoying.

It's a fine lens, and it would be great for landscapes and relatively slow moving subjects, but I don't seem to be able to find much use for it other than as a small backup lens.  Of course, I might was well carry the M + 22 combo so I have a backup body and lens.

Maybe it will find a place in my kit, but it has spent a lot of time on my shelf so far...and is in imminent danger of going up for sale.

jarrieta

« Reply #54 on: November 18, 2013, 10:00:02 AM »
Used to have the nifty fifty and the pancake is better in my opinion. Got the 40 using a T2i about six months ago, sold the lens (for around the same price I bought it). Got a 70D and missed the little lens so I got it again. It's so cheap it's practically a no-brainer to pick one up.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2013, 10:06:57 AM by jarrieta »

dlheidemann

• Power Shot G16
  • Canon 60D - dlheidemann.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 18, 2013, 10:23:23 AM »
I've had one for about half a year now and I totally love it. The weight is unbeatable and it's just so unobtrusive for stuff like street shooting. That plus the 2.8? Looooove it. I've actually heard about people using these lenses basically as body caps because they're so small. That way you've always got something on the body, and you can always get that one shot. Fun little thing to have and the price is totally worth it. Sharp, small, lightweight. Can't beat it.

polarhannes

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 18, 2013, 10:45:50 AM »
It is also good for panoramas as the nodal point is not too much off. Of course a real setup is better, but the pancake does the job quite well compared to its price.
"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera." - Dorothea Lange

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #56 on: November 18, 2013, 10:45:50 AM »