September 17, 2014, 07:40:35 PM

Author Topic: Tamron 24-70 f/2.8  (Read 2565 times)

bglanzbe

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
Tamron 24-70 f/2.8
« on: November 16, 2013, 03:28:50 PM »
Recently purchased this awesome lens.  Went out for some wine tasting and was able to capture this great shot (in my view) but was hoping for some feedback from the experts!  What do you think about this shot? 

canon rumors FORUM

Tamron 24-70 f/2.8
« on: November 16, 2013, 03:28:50 PM »

iMagic

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
Re: Tamron 24-70 f/2.8
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2013, 04:25:48 PM »
I like the shot. It catches the vines starting their winter sleep but with a few remaining berries. I might be tempted to try colorizing the grapes and B+W the rest. See if you can draw more attention to the crossing between harvest and sleep. Maybe fill light to bring up shadows.

logaandm

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2013, 05:50:25 PM »
This is meant to be constructive criticism. Please don't take offence. I wouldn't even take the time to comment if I didn't see some interesting ideas in the photograph.

First ask yourself why you took the picture - what attracted you to the scene. Then ask yourself if you managed to show in the photograph that feeling or concept. What were the key things in what you saw which attracted you - the grapes, the frost, the light the shadows?

1. The horizon isn't level
2. The horizon is in the middle of the photograph and that is a no-no
3. The main subject (the grapes?) should (probably) be done with rule-of-thirds - probably off to the left.
4. The framing of the grapes with the blurred background should have used either the washed-out sky OR the darker earth. You have framed the grapes with both.
5. Post processing probably should have emphasised the grapes with the light shining through them. Either do this by shooting them entirely against the sky or entirely against the darker earth.

Good photographs show some sort of contrast - light/dark  blue/red, happy/sad, rich/poor. The brain enjoys broken patterns. When taking the photograph you should "frame" the composition. Take photographs from different angles with different f-stops to explore subject isolation and the contrast with the background.

I think I see what you were trying to do and there is some things like cropping and tone control you can do in post. The horizon through the middle of the picture, however, probably can't be saved.

bglanzbe

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2013, 06:36:55 PM »
@logaandm - this is awesome - THANK YOU.  I have never taken a photography class but just have been trying to learn and get a feel for what I like to shoot.  This is straight out of the camera - no post processing.  Your advice / comments are awesome and much appreciated.  Thanks!

jkatzung

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2013, 04:38:00 PM »
I agree with logaandm and took the liberty of adjusting your image doing essentially what he said.  I also warmed the image up because to me it felt right for this picture.

This is meant to be constructive criticism. Please don't take offence. I wouldn't even take the time to comment if I didn't see some interesting ideas in the photograph.

First ask yourself why you took the picture - what attracted you to the scene. Then ask yourself if you managed to show in the photograph that feeling or concept. What were the key things in what you saw which attracted you - the grapes, the frost, the light the shadows?

3. The main subject (the grapes?) should (probably) be done with rule-of-thirds - probably off to the left.
4. The framing of the grapes with the blurred background should have used either the washed-out sky OR the darker earth. You have framed the grapes with both.
5. Post processing probably should have emphasised the grapes with the light shining through them. Either do this by shooting them entirely against the sky or entirely against the darker earth.

Good photographs show some sort of contrast - light/dark  blue/red, happy/sad, rich/poor. The brain enjoys broken patterns. When taking the photograph you should "frame" the composition. Take photographs from different angles with different f-stops to explore subject isolation and the contrast with the background.

I think I see what you were trying to do and there is some things like cropping and tone control you can do in post. The horizon through the middle of the picture, however, probably can't be saved.

duydaniel

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2013, 04:50:52 PM »
I would throw this away
it looks like a test shot to me, nothing in this I find interesting

dstppy

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2013, 04:56:15 PM »
I would throw this away
it looks like a test shot to me, nothing in this I find interesting

sun's still up, must be Olog-hai
Canon Rumors is presently creating photographer shortages in Middle Earth (all the trolls emigrated here)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2013, 04:56:15 PM »

Hjalmarg1

• EOS M2
  • Photo Hobbyist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2013, 11:31:13 PM »
Even though you haven't taken any trining I suggest to read many photogrphy websites such as, DPReview, The-Digital-Picture, KenRockwell, Digital Picture Secrets, Digital Photography School, etc, where you can get good advise on how to compose your pictures and get the most out of your gear. Keep trying and practice, practice, practice and practice.
Also consider learning how to post-process your pictures to give them the pop they need. I hope it helps.
Body: 5DIII. Prime Lenses: 15mm f2.8, 100mm f2.8L IS, 35mm f2 IS, Extender EF 2X III.
Zoom Lenses: 16-35mm f4L IS, 24-70mm f2.8L, 70-200mm f2.8L IS II. Others: Flash 580EX II, 270EX II & MR-14EX II

kennephoto

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2013, 01:16:33 AM »
I agree with logaandm and took the liberty of adjusting your image doing essentially what he said.  I also warmed the image up because to me it felt right for this picture.

Nice edit! I really like it.
Canon 5d Mark II Canon 1D classic EOSM 20-35 2.8L 50 1.2L 135 2.0L 80-200 2.8L 40 Pancake and a bunch of old film cameras

Kathode-Ray

• PowerShot G1 X II
  • Shoot, shoot, shoot!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2013, 05:52:43 AM »
6D | M || M 18-55 | M 22 2.0 || T 24-70 2.8 VC | 24-105 | 70-200 4.0 IS || SY 14 2.8 | 35 2.0 IS | 50 1.4 | Σ 85 1.4 || Metz 58 AF-2 | Røde Videomic Pro | Magic Lantern

dstppy

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2013, 08:49:24 AM »
sun's still up, must be Olog-hai

;D
To be fair, my magic rangefinder WAS glowing blue, so I saw it coming.
Canon Rumors is presently creating photographer shortages in Middle Earth (all the trolls emigrated here)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2013, 08:49:24 AM »