November 01, 2014, 02:57:45 AM

Author Topic: Canon Rumors Site Not Updating When Page Refreshed, etc.  (Read 6669 times)

TrabimanUK

• EOS M2
  • In the words of Brian Johnson - "Shoot to thrill!"
    • View Profile
Re: Canon Rumors Site Not Updating When Page Refreshed, etc.
« Reply #30 on: November 27, 2013, 03:24:32 AM »
Based on current observations, the site only refreshes now when a new story/rumour appears on the left, not when a new posting ocurs in the forum, so that could be several times a day, daily or even weekly depending on how many rumours are coming in :(

Any chance of bring back the live refresh please?
Canon 1D, 5D, 5DIII, 70D, 60D, SX150-IR/UV, 50 f1.8, 70-200 f2.8 IS II, 70-300 f4-5.6 IS USM,
 Sigma 10 F2.8 EX DC DIAGONAL FISHEYE HSM,  12-24 DG HSM, 24-70 f2.8 IF EX DG HSM

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: November 27, 2013, 03:24:32 AM »

distant.star

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Tracy's Shooting Gallery
« Reply #31 on: December 11, 2013, 03:56:24 PM »
Based on current observations, the site only refreshes now when a new story/rumour appears on the left, not when a new posting ocurs in the forum, so that could be several times a day, daily or even weekly depending on how many rumours are coming in :(

Well, I've given it enough time to realize this is exactly what's happening. So, this IS the new normal. A CR version of image stabilization.
Walter: Were you listening to The Dude's story? Donny: I was bowling. Walter: So you have no frame of reference here, Donny. You're like a child who wanders into the middle of a movie and wants to know...

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 11, 2013, 04:37:56 PM »

Well, I've given it enough time to realize this is exactly what's happening. So, this IS the new normal. A CR version of image stabilization.

Maybe for you, but I would say it's clearly a browser-dependent phenomenon.  This thread, which has been dormant until you posted it, shows up in the list of 10 topics on the right side of the CR homepage when I look at it right now.  Near the top of that list is a new topic that was created only a few minutes ago.  The rumors on the left have not been updated since early this morning.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 11, 2013, 04:40:09 PM »
In fact, when I just looked, this thread was seventh or eighth on that list. But when I just went back to the CR homepage after posting the above, this thread is now at the top of the list that I see.  So whatever refresh problem or cache problem you are experiencing, it's clearly not universal.

EDIT: Or maybe, as they say, you don't have a bug you have a feature. I guess Apple's Safari on iOS just lacks that image stabilization feature.  ;)
« Last Edit: December 11, 2013, 04:42:20 PM by neuroanatomist »

candc

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 11, 2013, 07:34:25 PM »
 i use firefox 25.0.1 and it is not refreshing. maybe there is a setting in the options for this individual site so you can turn off cache to force a reload? it always shows current posts on my android tablet using chrome and viewing the desktop site

updated firefox to 26 same thing no forum updating on right side of page.

i opened up ie and checked the page and its identical to the nonrefreshing version i am seeing in firefox! i have not used ie for months so it cant have the same cache data, this is really weird. chrome on the android tablet updates just fine, it will show this post on this thread. r

cleared the cache in firefox and checked page, it shows up the same so it does not appear that its a browser issue of re displaying whats stored in the cache for that frame. the problem seems to be on the site side
« Last Edit: December 11, 2013, 08:20:16 PM by candc »

distant.star

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Tracy's Shooting Gallery
« Reply #35 on: December 11, 2013, 08:46:31 PM »

Maybe for you, but I would say it's clearly a browser-dependent phenomenon.  This thread, which has been dormant until you posted it, shows up in the list of 10 topics on the right side of the CR homepage when I look at it right now.  Near the top of that list is a new topic that was created only a few minutes ago.  The rumors on the left have not been updated since early this morning.

I'll have a hard time accepting "browser-dependent." Using three different browsers on two different computers with two different Windows operating systems, I get the same results.
Walter: Were you listening to The Dude's story? Donny: I was bowling. Walter: So you have no frame of reference here, Donny. You're like a child who wanders into the middle of a movie and wants to know...

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 11, 2013, 08:50:31 PM »
Using ... Windows

Maybe we've found the problem?   :o  ;)  8)

Kidding!!!

But, actually, maybe...

Using ... computers

...is the common denominator.  Looking at two Macs with three browsers, all show the 7D firmware as the most recent post, from early this AM.

The list refreshes properly on my iPhone, candc says it works on his Android tablet, we're both viewing the desktop version of the site, but there may be different coding for desktop-on-mobile.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2013, 09:03:48 PM by neuroanatomist »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #36 on: December 11, 2013, 08:50:31 PM »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 11, 2013, 09:37:42 PM »
But, actually, maybe...

Using ... computers

...is the common denominator.  Looking at two Macs with three browsers, all show the 7D firmware as the most recent post, from early this AM.

The list refreshes properly on my iPhone, candc says it works on his Android tablet, we're both viewing the desktop version of the site, but there may be different coding for desktop-on-mobile.

Indeed, that appears to be the case.  Safari on my Mac shows the old list from the last rumor add, but when I set it to emulate the iOS version of Safari, then switch that from the mobile to the desktop version, it shows the properly refreshed list.

Don Haines

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Posting cat pictures on the internet since 1986
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 11, 2013, 09:41:04 PM »
I tried it this morning from home, from a different computer at work, and again tonight from my home machine, and the site has not updated.... but when I try it from an iPad, it does update.
The best camera is the one in your hands

Harv

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
    • My SmugMug Web Location
« Reply #39 on: December 12, 2013, 07:44:18 AM »
Same here..... 3 different browsers and NO updates.
Looking at life through a 1D4 and a 5D3 plus lots of red rings.

http://www.harveyg.smugmug.com

Don Haines

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Posting cat pictures on the internet since 1986
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 12, 2013, 08:03:16 AM »
I tried it again today at home and at work. Still no update since yesterday on a PC running windows and IE, yet in both places an iPAD (home) and an iPod(work) showed the update. Trying different browsers on the PCs had no affect on the problem.
The best camera is the one in your hands

ahab1372

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 12, 2013, 11:03:13 AM »
if Browser and OS versions are inconclusive, it could depend on the Internet Service Provider - some might use transparent proxies - transparent like in "you don't see that they are there", not like in "we make it transparent that we use one". That combined with a html header for last updated date which is different for mobile versus desktop versions of the page, could explain it.

Mt Spokane Photography

• EF 50mm F 0.7 IS
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 12, 2013, 11:39:46 AM »
I tried it this morning with IE 10 and it updates every time I switch between forum and home page.

Firefox 25.0.1 did not refresh.  A newer version of Firefox is downloading (slowly) I'll see if it is any different.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #42 on: December 12, 2013, 11:39:46 AM »

serendipidy

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 13, 2013, 03:40:23 AM »
I have the same problem on my macbook pro using safari. This all started several weeks ago. Until then, I never noticed this. Something has changed with the site.
EOS 5D miii, EOS 7D, 70-200mm f/2.8L IS ii, 100-400mmL IS

TrabimanUK

• EOS M2
  • In the words of Brian Johnson - "Shoot to thrill!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 17, 2013, 08:52:33 AM »
I have the same problem on my macbook pro using safari. This all started several weeks ago. Until then, I never noticed this. Something has changed with the site.

It seemed to coincide with the change of the site to the "new" logo.  Before that it seemed fine. 

Whilst I appreciate that changing a logo shouldn't affect anything, other settings might have been inadvertantly changed with a bit of "finger trouble" during the edit, as it definitely seems to only update when the Recent Rumors are updated (at least on IE9 on Windows at work and Safari on my Mac at home).

it is becoming a tad annoying now as it has been like this for a month now  :(

Canon 1D, 5D, 5DIII, 70D, 60D, SX150-IR/UV, 50 f1.8, 70-200 f2.8 IS II, 70-300 f4-5.6 IS USM,
 Sigma 10 F2.8 EX DC DIAGONAL FISHEYE HSM,  12-24 DG HSM, 24-70 f2.8 IF EX DG HSM

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #44 on: December 17, 2013, 08:52:33 AM »