July 28, 2014, 01:44:16 PM

Author Topic: Canon Rumors Site Not Updating When Page Refreshed, etc.  (Read 5955 times)

candc

• 6D
    • View Profile
Re: Canon Rumors Site Not Updating When Page Refreshed, etc.
« Reply #45 on: December 18, 2013, 07:53:06 PM »
The site was down earlier today, now it doesn't refresh on my android tablet either? Is this something the site administrator wants? I would think that having proper updates to the forum discussion on the front page would be important.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #45 on: December 18, 2013, 07:53:06 PM »

Harv

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
    • My SmugMug Web Location
« Reply #46 on: January 14, 2014, 10:24:09 AM »
Well, here we are almost two months later and the site still does not update.  I tried all 3 browsers..... Firefox, Internet Explorer and Chrome.

It only changes when something new is posted by CR.

This is getting really old.  :(
Looking at life through a 1D4 and a 5D3 plus lots of red rings.

tolusina

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 14, 2014, 10:51:20 AM »
Since this thread started, I'm now using an all new Windows 7 PC build with only the latest I.E., Chrome and FireFox, the issue persists across all my available platforms.

Unfortunately, this thread and it's content appear stuck in a Catch 22 style logic loop. Since the post list doesn't refresh, this tread falls off the end of the list prior to admin's next view, admin never sees it, all that's posted here is for naught.

Oh well......
40 on 6

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 14, 2014, 10:52:36 AM »
FWIW, the most recent update to the CR home page was the AFMA patent from Canon, posted yesterday.  My list of the 10 most recent posts is current as of this morning (the post at the top of the list is from slightly less than 2 hours ago), using Safari on a Mac.

As an alternative to accessing the forums via the 10 most recent posts (which for you shows most recent relative to the last home page refresh), you could try using the unread posts or updates posts links on the forum home page.  They're a bit subtle - it took me a while to run across them.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

tolusina

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 14, 2014, 11:16:16 AM »
......you could try using the unread posts or updates posts links on the forum home page......
I did find that option and use it.

Still, the site's home page, not the sub site that is the forums, does not refresh latest forum posts until an admin posts a new rumor post. It's become a long standing quirk.

Also, the mobile version appears to no longer exist, nor is there a link to mobile or desktop versions at the bottom of the home page. Using the desktop link on a mobile platform used to be a work around, even that has been gone for a month and a half or more.

I do not see any admin posts in this thread, causes me to wonder if admins have seen it.

Probably best, for me anyway, is to chalk the issue up as a First World Annoyance, admins likely have other, preferable things to do than chase down some errant code.

40 on 6

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 14, 2014, 11:29:31 AM »
Still, the site's home page, not the sub site that is the forums, does not refresh latest forum posts until an admin posts a new rumor post. It's become a long standing quirk.

Also, the mobile version appears to no longer exist, nor is there a link to mobile or desktop versions at the bottom of the home page. Using the desktop link on a mobile platform used to be a work around, even that has been gone for a month and a half or more.

I do not see any admin posts in this thread, causes me to wonder if admins have seen it.

Probably best, for me anyway, is to chalk the issue up as a First World Annoyance, admins likely have other, preferable things to do than chase down some errant code.

Agree that it's an annoyance.  Some time back, I emailed CRguy about it, he replied that he dumped the site cache on his end.  I'll send him another message...

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 15, 2014, 09:09:11 AM »
I'll send him another message...

He let me know that they've identified an isue with a caching plugin, and are working on a fix.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #51 on: January 15, 2014, 09:09:11 AM »

Harv

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
    • My SmugMug Web Location
« Reply #52 on: January 15, 2014, 09:18:07 AM »
I'll send him another message...

He let me know that they've identified an isue with a caching plugin, and are working on a fix.

Thanks, Neuro.  Appreciate your help, as usual.  :)
Looking at life through a 1D4 and a 5D3 plus lots of red rings.

dppaskewitz

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 17, 2014, 11:24:05 AM »
The list of topics now appears to be updating normally (after I hit the refresh button in Firefox - which I was doing before all this started).  Although I like the "Show unread posts since last visit" and "show new replies to your posts" features (which I found after the updating problem started), it's still handy to be able to see the very recent activity on the main page.  Thanks to the CR folk for getting it fixed (and, for that matter, for the CR site).
5Dc; 6D; M; several lenses.  Enthusiast.

distant.star

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Tracy's Shooting Gallery
« Reply #54 on: January 23, 2014, 01:39:08 PM »
Looks like the fix is in.

Glad to finally see that.

Walter: Were you listening to The Dude's story? Donny: I was bowling. Walter: So you have no frame of reference here, Donny. You're like a child who wanders into the middle of a movie and wants to know...

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 23, 2014, 01:45:16 PM »
Looks like the fix is in.

Glad to finally see that.

CRguy informed me that they identified the problematic plugin update and rolled it back.  He didn't say, but I assume they installed that plugin for a reason, and that they'll try again at some point.  BUt hopefully they'll be on the lookout for this issue in the future...

candc

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 26, 2014, 08:17:30 PM »
okay, the forum discussion on the main page does refresh now but not on a post by post basis, it seems to be refreshing on timed intervals?

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 26, 2014, 08:49:06 PM »
okay, the forum discussion on the main page does refresh now but not on a post by post basis, it seems to be refreshing on timed intervals?

That's the way it's been as long as I can remember, except when it wasn't refreshing at all.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #57 on: January 26, 2014, 08:49:06 PM »

candc

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 26, 2014, 10:36:49 PM »
glad they got it worked out.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #58 on: January 26, 2014, 10:36:49 PM »