September 02, 2014, 09:32:20 AM

Author Topic: EF-S 10-18 f/4.5-5.6 IS STM & EF 16-35 f/4L IS Around the Corner? [CR2]  (Read 8450 times)

wickidwombat

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
erggg what is with all the underwhelming slow aperture lenses! why not a 16-35 f2.8 IS? really c'mon canon
f4 wow awesome... NOT

room to fit in IS, $1300 instead of $2300 perhaps, potential to make it perform a touch better stopped down to landscape DOF where this focal range is most often (although yes not always) used when used on FF, makes it smaller and lighter by a lot, also nice, since you might want to hike around with it paired with one or two other lenses.

One of the main reasons i use the 16-35 f2.8 II is to shoot it wide open. Although I do understand the reason for cheaper slower lenses but cmon how about giving the top end some love canon lets have a 16-35 f2.8 IS L that sharp corner to corner like the 24-70 II.

APS-H Fanboy

canon rumors FORUM

ahsanford

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
Also, from PR at the bottom of the pics I linked:

"The official announcement should be in few hours."

That's a CR2.9 in my book, people.  As Thom Yorke once said, "This is really happening."

- A

RGF

• 1D X
  • How you relate to the issue, is the issue.
    • View Profile
erggg what is with all the underwhelming slow aperture lenses! why not a 16-35 f2.8 IS? really c'mon canon
f4 wow awesome... NOT

room to fit in IS, $1300 instead of $2300 perhaps, potential to make it perform a touch better stopped down to landscape DOF where this focal range is most often (although yes not always) used when used on FF, makes it smaller and lighter by a lot, also nice, since you might want to hike around with it paired with one or two other lenses.

One of the main reasons i use the 16-35 f2.8 II is to shoot it wide open. Although I do understand the reason for cheaper slower lenses but cmon how about giving the top end some love canon lets have a 16-35 f2.8 IS L that sharp corner to corner like the 24-70 II.

It would nice if canon would swallow it pride and license Nikons incredible 14-24 lens.

Random Orbits

• 1D X
    • View Profile
It would nice if canon would swallow it pride and license Nikons incredible 14-24 lens.

That is assuming that Nikon would even consider licensing it to their biggest rival.

Hjalmarg1

• EOS M2
  • Photo Hobbyist
    • View Profile
Now the 10-18 f/4.5-5.6 IS STM & EF 16-35 f/4L IS are available for preorder at B&H for US$299 and US$1,199 respectively. You can press the keyboard now.
For those with APS-C sensor, the 10-18 f/4.5-5.6 IS STM in this price is quite reasonable for an UWA lens. I don't think I would buy the FF EF 16-35 f/4L IS, since I have the f2.8L II version but time will tell.
The MTF charts are very promissing in terms of IMO, it indicates huge improvement in sharpness from mid-frame to borders.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2014, 01:05:35 AM by Hjalmarg1 »
Body: 5DIII. Prime Lenses: 15mm f2.8, 100mm f2.8L IS, 35mm f2 IS, Extender EF 2X III.
Zoom Lenses: 16-35mm f4L IS, 24-70mm f2.8L, 70-200mm f2.8L IS II. Others: Flash 580EX II, 270EX II & MR-14EX II

GMCPhotographics

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
    • GMCPhotographics
f4 wow awesome... NOT

Yeah, it's really incredible at shooting lens charts and brick walls....not so good for landscapes or groups of people. The difficulty in using front filters is a serious deficiency. Most landscapes require stopping down for Depth of Field....so at f11, there is little difference between the sharpness of a 16-35IIL and this Nikkor lens...so I often wonder why I would bother with the size, bulk and cost of such a lens which really only has advantages wide open.

canon rumors FORUM