December 09, 2016, 10:56:40 AM

Author Topic: Zeiss Otus Initial Impressions  (Read 94111 times)

eml58

• 1D X Mark II
  • 1Dx
Re: Zeiss Otus Initial Impressions
« Reply #210 on: April 15, 2014, 08:17:52 PM »
From the link Jrista posted it appears aspherical elements may also have caused the effect. The concentric rings are slightly asymmetrical and the Otus does have aspherical elements.
However, even if that is the case, this is very very minor side effect for some major correction of optical aberration.
Anyway, now, looking forward to more gorgeous shots through the Otus, and hopefully a comparison with the Art- if you decide to buy it as well. :)
The Art is on preorder. Could not resist ;)

Same, must be a disease affecting Photographers.

That & the need to take Images of light sources    ::).

Still, that had a learning experience, Thanks so much jrista, all made complete sense once explained. 
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #210 on: April 15, 2014, 08:17:52 PM »

Eldar

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • Flickr
« Reply #211 on: April 16, 2014, 07:42:18 AM »
I promise, no more light bulbs ;)

I have tried to post an image, to get this thread back to images, but I only get a blank page in response. it´s within the size restrictions, so I don´t know what causes it. Anyone with the same experience?
Canonite and Zeissoholic ...

Eldar

• Flickr
« Reply #212 on: April 16, 2014, 10:15:48 AM »
I have tried to post a couple of images, but it seems I have hit the ceiling on how many posts one individual can do on one thread. This is last attempt.
5DIII, 1/100s, f1.4, ISO100

dcm

• 5D Mark III
  • It's not the gear. It's me.
« Reply #213 on: April 16, 2014, 11:14:33 AM »
I promise, no more light bulbs ;)

I have tried to post an image, to get this thread back to images, but I only get a blank page in response. it´s within the size restrictions, so I don´t know what causes it. Anyone with the same experience?

I had this happen a couple of times recently as well.  Waiting a while or restarting my browser/system seemed to clear it.
Shooting with Canon since 1982.

Eldar

• Flickr
« Reply #214 on: April 19, 2014, 05:20:33 AM »
5DIII, 1/1000s, f1.4, ISO100

CarlTN

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
« Reply #215 on: April 19, 2014, 05:40:58 AM »
5DIII, 1/1000s, f1.4, ISO100

Quite nice!

Eldar

• Flickr
« Reply #216 on: April 20, 2014, 02:34:02 AM »
Not to re-open a closed case, but here's another thought - what happens if you throw a polarizer on the lens?  In theory it should "straighten" the beams of light and eliminate the effects of diffraction, right?

Not necessarily.

If you want to understand light, take a course in physics. Freshman level maybe?

Or get a physics text book ... no, do a course - a good book should be a requirement for the course. Reading CR is not a substitute for doing a course on this if you really want to understand it.
He asked a simple question. If you can´t answer his question or add to it, stay off.

For you I can recommend a book on simple politeness. Freshman level might be to advanced thought ...

He did not ask for a rude reply from an incompetent jerk. Spread your garbage someplace else!

Or, alternatively, start posting images and show us that behind this rude alias, there is one who knows where the view finder on a camera is. I for one have not seen a single image for you, so I believe you haven´t shot a single decent image in your life. So until I see someone comment on your images, you will remain on my list of ignored posters.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2014, 02:40:44 AM by Eldar »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #216 on: April 20, 2014, 02:34:02 AM »

CarlTN

« Reply #217 on: April 20, 2014, 03:16:35 AM »
Not to re-open a closed case, but here's another thought - what happens if you throw a polarizer on the lens?  In theory it should "straighten" the beams of light and eliminate the effects of diffraction, right?

Not necessarily.

If you want to understand light, take a course in physics. Freshman level maybe?

Or get a physics text book ... no, do a course - a good book should be a requirement for the course. Reading CR is not a substitute for doing a course on this if you really want to understand it.
He asked a simple question. If you can´t answer his question or add to it, stay off.

For you I can recommend a book on simple politeness. Freshman level might be to advanced thought ...

He did not ask for a rude reply from an incompetent jerk. Spread your garbage someplace else!

Or, alternatively, start posting images and show us that behind this rude alias, there is one who knows where the view finder on a camera is. I for one have not seen a single image for you, so I believe you haven´t shot a single decent image in your life. So until I see someone comment on your images, you will remain on my list of ignored posters.

To be fair, there are plenty of rude participants on here.  I didn't realize dilbert had never posted an image.  Maybe he will.  I guess I wasn't as bothered by his rudeness, because I've seen so much of it on here, I'm becoming numb to it.

Mackguyver seems quite the level headed guy, I doubt the rudeness bothered him in the least.  Not sure why it bothered you so much.  Also I assume I am on your ignore list...lol...didn't realize that.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2014, 03:19:39 AM by CarlTN »

Sporgon

• 5% of gear used 95% of the time
    • www.buildingpanoramics.com
« Reply #218 on: April 20, 2014, 03:20:51 AM »

Eldar

• Flickr
« Reply #219 on: April 20, 2014, 03:28:56 AM »
Mackguyver seems quite the level headed guy, I doubt the rudeness bothered him in the least.  Not sure why it bothered you so much.  Also I assume I am on your ignore list...lol...didn't realize that.
Carl, I´m sure Macguyver is perfectly fine. He has posted lots of good posts and should be treated accordingly. It is the volume of rubbish posts from Dilbert that filled my cup.
I will not participate in a thread extender, so I will end my comments here.

For the record, you are not on my ignore list ;)

CarlTN

« Reply #220 on: April 20, 2014, 03:46:01 AM »
Carl, I´m sure Macguyver is perfectly fine. He has posted lots of good posts and should be treated accordingly. It is the volume of rubbish posts from Dilbert that filled my cup.

Very glad to hear that, and once again, I very much like your image of the tree sunset above with the mighty Otus !!!  Happy Easter to you sir!   :)

Eldar

• Flickr
« Reply #221 on: April 20, 2014, 07:23:22 AM »

Very glad to hear that, and once again, I very much like your image of the tree sunset above with the mighty Otus !!!  Happy Easter to you sir!   :)
Thanks Carl. It is actually a sunrise. Happy Easter to you to! ;)

Eldar

• Flickr
« Reply #222 on: April 20, 2014, 07:54:12 AM »
An early March morning at Hvalstrand Bad, where the seasonal restaurant is getting ready for spring opening. The Oslo fjord in the background.
5DIII, 1/15s, f5.0, ISO100, tripod

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #222 on: April 20, 2014, 07:54:12 AM »

traingineer

• EOS M3
« Reply #223 on: April 20, 2014, 09:28:33 AM »
My wife looked at the schedule in complete Horror and asked just exactly what these places had for her, after some thought I added Japan, which seemed to make her Happy (Tokyo, Gucci, Hermes etc),
I know Tokyo, but I've never heard of the other two places. Sure they are in Japan?
;)

Unfortunately they are, when you come out of the Ground Floor Mandarin Oriental Tokyo turn right & they are the first two Shops you come to, I always try to turn left.

Carolina Herrera is good value.  8)

sagittariansrock

• 1D X Mark II
« Reply #224 on: April 20, 2014, 11:36:42 AM »
So what would you have me do?

Give him a partial answer that is incomplete and doesn't transfer proper knowledge?

Redirect him to a web page that kind of tells him what to expect but doesn't convey full understanding?

Maybe quote one or two web pages and pretend to be an "expert" like others here?

Sometimes the best advice for someone is where to find information or how to obtain it because everything else will not come close. Maybe my recommendation is because I've studied physics and understand that doing a course in it will teach you more and give you a much better understanding of light than any amount of random posts here.

Hey, how about this for an option: if you don't know the answer, why not keep shut?
Especially considering that your advice is extremely impractical. One does not take a physics course to understand an optical phenomenon he might be passingly interested in. Do you usually sign up at the Culinary institute when you are interested in learning a new dish? And is it even possible for a working person earning a livelihood to sign up for college just like that?
By implying your advice was not a rude joke but actually intended seriously, you betray your intelligence.
EOS 5DIII, EOS 6D | Rokinon 14mm f/2.8, TS-E 17mm f/4L, EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM, EF 35mm f/1.4L USM, EF 85mm f/1.2L USM, EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM, EF 135mm f/2L USM, EF 70-200 f/2.8L IS II USM, 1.4x III, 2x III | 600-EX-RT x3 | EOS M + EF-M 22mm f/2

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #224 on: April 20, 2014, 11:36:42 AM »