May 20, 2018, 07:48:32 PM

Author Topic: New EOS-1 in 2014 [CR1]  (Read 100260 times)

KitsVancouver

• EOS Rebel T7i
Re: New EOS-1 in 2014 [CR1]
« Reply #210 on: November 24, 2013, 08:21:03 PM »
Canon has officially, publicly announced the technology: August 31st, 2010 ...
...ANY given company has its Business Plan ahead for 1,2,3,5, 10 & 20 years. Each one in its own pace and milestones. Each subject to some extend to modification. What I mean is that we might be seeing technology developed as early as 2006.
My problem with this general line of reasoning is that it assumes that Canon (or any other company) purposely withholds a new technology in order to boost profits.

Whether you believe it or not, it happens.  We saw a very recent real-life example in the world of video processors.  NVIDIA announced their 780 ti video card just days after AMD announced their new R290X.  It's widely known in the semi-conductor and PC world that NVIDIA was holding back releasing the full power of an existing chip design based on what the competition was. 

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #210 on: November 24, 2013, 08:21:03 PM »

JohnDizzo15

• EOS 7D Mark II
« Reply #211 on: November 24, 2013, 09:38:50 PM »
Regardless of what Canon is doing, there are other companies that most photogs have bought into that do the same thing or worse i.e. apple and most continue to buy in. Bleeding out tech, coming out with things later than others, charging 50-200% more than the competitors for the same or less hardware, disabling compatibilities unnecessarily, withholding bs features from one model only to help create product separation for the next model. To me, canon isn't even as guilty as they are (if they do happen to be guilty of any of those things).  Bottom line, they are not alone if they are trying to make a profit through these measures. If you're going to blast canon for it, you might see if you can head over to all the other forums for the other companies you have purchased products from to do the same thing.

Can we all please just recognize that none of these companies are non-profits with YOUR specific desires/needs at the forefront of their business decisions? Go out and take some pictures please.

sanj

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
« Reply #212 on: November 24, 2013, 10:42:48 PM »
I am of the opinion that the new Sony full frame cameras are indeed innovative. I appreciate their efforts.

CarlTN

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
« Reply #213 on: November 24, 2013, 11:12:56 PM »
Regardless of what Canon is doing, there are other companies that most photogs have bought into that do the same thing or worse i.e. apple and most continue to buy in. Bleeding out tech, coming out with things later than others, charging 50-200% more than the competitors for the same or less hardware, disabling compatibilities unnecessarily, withholding bs features from one model only to help create product separation for the next model. To me, canon isn't even as guilty as they are (if they do happen to be guilty of any of those things).  Bottom line, they are not alone if they are trying to make a profit through these measures. If you're going to blast canon for it, you might see if you can head over to all the other forums for the other companies you have purchased products from to do the same thing.

Can we all please just recognize that none of these companies are non-profits with YOUR specific desires/needs at the forefront of their business decisions? Go out and take some pictures please.

Interesting perspective you have.  To compare Canon to Apple though, is rather silly, don't you think?  And if your main complaint with Apple has to do with the products they make, or the lack of control you as a consumer have over their products, or them as a company in general...well that's amusing!

JohnDizzo15

• EOS 7D Mark II
« Reply #214 on: November 25, 2013, 12:30:51 AM »

Interesting perspective you have.  To compare Canon to Apple though, is rather silly, don't you think?  And if your main complaint with Apple has to do with the products they make, or the lack of control you as a consumer have over their products, or them as a company in general...well that's amusing!

I think you completely missed my point.

I don't care whether these companies are doing it or not. What I was saying was that people should stop saying companies are horrible simply because they aren't tailoring their business decisions to that specific consumer's specific need as a consumer.

You are right. It is silly which is exactly the view I thought I expressed.

Woody

• EOS 5DS R
« Reply #215 on: November 25, 2013, 03:23:32 AM »
I really don't understand why Canon can't optimize their algorithms and achieve fast CDAF.

I am sure the lenses play a part too. Canon's USM/STM lenses may have been optimized for PDAF. I suspect a well tuned CDAF algorithm may require certain mechanical response not possible with Canon lenses.

sanj

« Reply #216 on: November 25, 2013, 03:36:42 AM »
And have a look at their new camera. No mirrorslapping any more. Not big and bulky, but small and light but still very solidly built. "Full frame" 36x24mm sensor. Better than any sensor in any old Canon DSLR out there. 

Small and light.  Now, mount a 70-200/2.8 on it and you have a POS from an ergonomic standpoint.

Better than any old Canon sensor?  If I shoot at ISO 3200, does the Sony give me more DR and less noise?  Did someone appoint you the universal arbiter of "better" when we weren't looking?  ::)

I do not think these cameras are designed for the long lens sports/wildlife shooters. It is meant for, I believe, compact lenses and for travel, candid type of work. And they seem brilliant for that.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #216 on: November 25, 2013, 03:36:42 AM »

Diko

• EOS 6D Mark II
  • 7 fps...
« Reply #217 on: November 25, 2013, 05:31:13 AM »

I think you completely missed my point.

I don't care whether these companies are doing it or not. What I was saying was that people should stop saying companies are horrible simply because they aren't tailoring their business decisions to that specific consumer's specific need as a consumer.

You are right. It is silly which is exactly the view I thought I expressed.

Actually I don't find it silly. As absurd as it is (yes, I do acknowledge it's absurdity in a way) look at the new iPhone 5c & the "new" EOS Rebel SL1/Kiss X7 in White. I always thought that crippling just comes as is with a lower price tag... Now it comes, but with style;D ;D ;D

The last time I checked both companies were STILL quite everything else but NON-profit  8)
So then they have tailored the design according to the true needs of the majority of consumers.

[sarcasm] Now my dream will come true and I will probably get the ORANGE 1DXs for Christmas 2014.

I know - I am the only person on this forum to actually ask for better ISO & DR in the same body... I have to admit quite unnecessary features indeed. [/sarcasm]
Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity.

Woody

• EOS 5DS R
« Reply #218 on: November 25, 2013, 07:33:56 AM »
OK, coming back to the topic, I don't think we should take this CR1 rumor too seriously. Most rumors from NL are almost always wrong. So, let's not get too excited arguing about this vaporware. :D
« Last Edit: November 25, 2013, 09:25:58 AM by Woody »

unfocused

• Mark Gordon Communications
« Reply #219 on: November 25, 2013, 09:58:42 AM »
OK, coming back to the topic, I don't think we should take this CR1 rumor too seriously. Most rumors from NL are almost always wrong. So, let's not get too excited arguing about this vaporware. :D

But it wouldn't be Canon Rumors Forum if people didn't argue over insignificant differences in products that don't exist.

KyleSTL

• EOS 6D Mark II
« Reply #220 on: November 25, 2013, 04:53:55 PM »
You also seem to think that the original 1Ds DSLR was un-innovative. It was the first FF DSLR!
Unfortunately incorrect -

Contax N Digital - July 2000
Kodak DCS Pro 14n - Sept 2002
Canon 1Ds - Sept 2002
Kodak DCS Pro SLR/n - Feb 2004
Kodak DCS Pro SLR/c - Mar 2004
Canon 1Ds Mark II - Sept 2004
Canon 5D - August 2005
Canon 1Ds Mark III - Aug 2007
Nikon D3 - Aug 2007
Nikon D700 - Jul 2008
Sony DSLR-A900 - Sept 2008

If you were to say the first FF DSLR by a company that is still in business, or the first FF DSLR that was commerically viable then you would be correct (Contax was a total flop, and Kodak didn't survive long either, despite adopting cameras with both Nikon and Canon lens mounts).
Canon EOS 5D | Sigma 17-35mm f/2.8-4 DG | 24-105mm f/4L IS USM | 70-300mm f4-5.6 IS USM
15mm f/2.8 Fisheye | 28mm f/1.8 USM | 50mm f/1.4 USM | 85mm f/1.8 USM | 550EX | 3x 420EX | ST-E2 | Canon S90 | SD600 w/ WP-DC4

jrista

• EOL
    • Nature Photography
« Reply #221 on: November 25, 2013, 06:06:25 PM »
You also seem to think that the original 1Ds DSLR was un-innovative. It was the first FF DSLR!

Canon 1Ds - Sept 2002
Kodak DCS Pro SLR/n - Feb 2004
Kodak DCS Pro SLR/c - Mar 2004
Canon 1Ds Mark II - Sept 2004
Canon 5D - August 2005
Canon 1Ds Mark III - Aug 2007
Nikon D3 - Aug 2007
Nikon D700 - Jul 2008
Sony DSLR-A900 - Sept 2008

If you were to say the first FF DSLR by a company that is still in business, or the first FF DSLR that was commerically viable then you would be correct (Contax was a total flop, and Kodak didn't survive long either, despite adopting cameras with both Nikon and Canon lens mounts).

Well, the Contax was a CCD camera, and I wast talking about the first CMOS FF. As for the Kodak, seems it was released the same time as the 1Ds, so maybe it's a tie...except that Canon was wildly successful.

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
« Reply #222 on: November 25, 2013, 06:09:13 PM »

Canon 1Ds - Sept 2002

Try this: "The 1Ds was the first CMOS FF dSLR." 

I suppose you could say the Kodak DCS Pro 14n was the first, because it was announced before the 1Ds.  But the 1Ds was available shortly after it was announced, whereas Kodak announced it early but it wasn't actually available until the middle of the following year. That sort of tactic - announcing a product, then a long delay, then some retailers start taking preorders, then another long delay - is a dirty trick that Canon would never play.
EOS 1D X, EOS M6, lots of lenses

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #222 on: November 25, 2013, 06:09:13 PM »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
« Reply #223 on: November 25, 2013, 06:10:39 PM »
Did I forget my <sarcasm> tag again?   :-X
EOS 1D X, EOS M6, lots of lenses

jrista