November 21, 2014, 10:06:52 PM

Author Topic: New Technology Coming to Cinema EOS  (Read 3370 times)

Canon Rumors

• Administrator
  • Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
    • Canon Rumors
New Technology Coming to Cinema EOS
« on: November 20, 2013, 08:31:09 AM »

From the interview with Mr Onda

Reading a bit between the lines during the interview with Dan Chung and Mr Onda, it appears a few new things are coming to the Cinema EOS line and probably to EOS DSLRs as well.

The first being CFast 2.0, a version of Compact Flash announced back in 2008. SanDisk currently makes CFast cards that are capable of writing at 350MB/s. These cards will be needed to record 4K RAW video. It sounds like Canon will be moving towards CFast in their next Cinema EOS cameras, and perhaps DSLRs as well.

Secondly, it seems there’s a possibility of a full frame Cinema EOS camcorder coming down the pipeline.  While you can currently get full frame 4K recording (16:9 crop from the full frame sensor) with the EOS-1D C, the C100, C300 and C500 are Super35 sensor cameras.

cr

canonrumors.com

canon rumors FORUM

New Technology Coming to Cinema EOS
« on: November 20, 2013, 08:31:09 AM »

pj1974

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
    • A selection of my photos (copyright)
Re: New Technology Coming to Cinema EOS
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2013, 08:43:08 AM »
Such technological improvements will only benefit people all round - those wanting improvements in Canon's still photography (eg liveview as well as CFast) - and those in other brands.

Hoping to see 2014 be a great year for Canon: lots of great glass, some fantastic new innovention in bodies too!

Paul :)
I'm not a brand-fanatic. What I do appreciate is using my 7D and 350D cameras along with a host of lenses & many accessories to capture quality photos, and share with friends.

paul13walnut5

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2013, 09:07:32 AM »
I wish Canon would stop making printers, video cameras, photocopiers, calculators, projectors and scanners, I mean how do these high end cinema cameras with their sharp breathless lenses, their massive data throughput, sophisticated switchable sensor read-off, new AF technology and complicated alogorythm processors help us stills guys?

Canon should focus on what's important. I've only been doing photography since last year, but I got a tax rebate / my wife left me / I had a midlife crisis / somebody in a camera shop told me my work was of professional standard* and so I bought a 5D3, and so therefore I deserve to be taken very seriously and consulted on canons every business or development decision.

(*delete as appropriate)

AAPhotog

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2013, 09:30:54 AM »
It would be nice if they could update the CF drives for older cameras like the 5D3, once this comes out
iPhone 4s camera

paul13walnut5

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2013, 09:50:55 AM »
It would be nice if they could update the CF drives for older cameras like the 5D3, once this comes out

I agree.

See, it can be nice when video development can aid the stills guys.

transpo1

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2013, 10:43:52 AM »

That would be nice. But then why would we buy the new models?  :)

Niki

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2013, 12:04:01 PM »
Canon really could just update their cameras…and not make new ones for a few years…the potential is there

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2013, 12:04:01 PM »

transpo1

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2013, 12:31:55 PM »
Agreed- I would love it if they would add functionality to their existing cams through firmware updates.

Canon, if you're listening, one of the best ways to add value to cameras such as the 5DIII and keep people buying it for years is to add some of the Magic Lantern functionality into a future firmware update. Why not officially enable RAW recording and other valuable video features?

This would keep sales from sagging too much as the 5DIII ages.

I'll keep my fingers crossed, but the cynical side of me thinks they may just want people to buy the next model and keep sales rolling, too.

AAPhotog

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2013, 04:20:04 PM »
There are many customers who simply wont buy a new camera when theirs is only 3 years old. wouldn't it be nice to make 250-300 off of them for something as simple as a cf replacement?
iPhone 4s camera

LetTheRightLensIn

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2013, 05:53:18 PM »
Agreed- I would love it if they would add functionality to their existing cams through firmware updates.

Canon, if you're listening, one of the best ways to add value to cameras such as the 5DIII and keep people buying it for years is to add some of the Magic Lantern functionality into a future firmware update. Why not officially enable RAW recording and other valuable video features?

This would keep sales from sagging too much as the 5DIII ages.

I'll keep my fingers crossed, but the cynical side of me thinks they may just want people to buy the next model and keep sales rolling, too.

That sure would be nice and would seem to be the smart move to me.
But they seemed to be kind of bemused at best by ML Hack and not liking how it toyed with their segmentation (and yet don't they notice how the 5D3 price shot up after the ML Hack came out? and how the vieo /film guys were so meh about the 5D3's few little improvements, and all the BM talk? do they really want to keep risking giving it all away?)

Anyone get a weird feeling that the 5D3 + ML RAW hack will deliver much better video than any upcoming product new DSLRs for next year other than many some ultra $$$$$ $8000+ bodies? I have a weird feeling the new lower and mid-range and lower upper tier cams may end up with an even bigger meh and people will just use the 5D3. (The stills only users should have be happy though if so, as this would were it to be the case sustain 5D3 used prices very well so they could sell for a good price and get the new stills body.)

I sense continuing extreme segmentation and conservatism for anything but the single highest end model instead of a charging forward with the revolution.

Didn't the 5D3 prices suddenly spike way up again shortly after the ML RAW hack? And doesn't that imply that people were NOT happy with all of the critical UI features for video that they left out as well as the mushed, low DR quality it delivers without the hack? Everything was Blackmagic this and that and then the 5D3 hack seemed to be the only thing that staved off the complete rush over to use BM.

So the cynical side of me thinks that the new 2014 bodies won't even deliver video as good as the old 5D3 + a ML Hack can and they don't want to deliver that quality for another generation or two later (by which time you wonder if BM or someone else won't have handed it to them).

paul13walnut5

« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2013, 07:42:15 PM »
The trouble is that folk are impressed by the BMD's on paper but buying 5D3's because a) they are in the shops b) canon have (marginally) better QC and better chance of a unit that works properly c) works with the same accessories that worked for them with their 5D2's d) is easy to carry and change extra batteries e) no getting round it, the BMD looks like an 1980's alarm clock.

You know how I love car analogies.  LOVE THEM.  The BMD's are TVR's to Canon's Audi. 

Valvebounce

• 1D X
  • Still can't use most of it to it's full potential!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2013, 07:55:20 PM »
Hi Paul.
Are you saying BMD's are no longer in production?  ;D ;D Or just have the reliability reputation of a TVR!  ::)

Cheers Graham.

You know how I love car analogies.  LOVE THEM.  The BMD's are TVR's to Canon's Audi.
7D + Grip, 40D + Grip, 20D, EF-S 17-85 Kit lens, EF 70-200 f2.8 L IS II USM, EF 2x III, Sigma 150-500, Sigma 17-70 f2.8-4 C, 50mm f1.8, 550EX some Filters Remotes Macro tubes Tripod heads etc!
20D, BG-E2N, 17-85mm, 50mm are pre loved. :)
(300D Saved a holiday, E-FS 18-55 Cosina 100-300 retired)

paul13walnut5

« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2013, 08:05:31 PM »
I think a lot of 5D3 video users wished they had the specs of the BMD but have taken the safe option.

I'm in the process of getting capex for a cinema camera.  I know I'll go with a C100 if it's ever granted, which is safe, reliable, easy to live with, available...   My stockist would put me on a waiting list for the BMD, I could have a c100 a day after the capex comes in.

Don't wish to malign BMD unduly, I'm glad they are there pushing the market.  I use their capture cards and ocassionally their hyperdeck.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2013, 08:05:31 PM »

dilbert

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2013, 08:06:16 PM »
I've been waiting to see when CFast would show up in Canon. Nikon have in the D800 and I think that's the only camera to use it thus far.

Mt Spokane Photography

• EF 50mm F 0.7 IS
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2013, 08:06:29 PM »

The cost to replace most of the guts in the camera might exceed the cost of a new camera.  Its not a firmware upgrade.  First. a SATA controller would be needed (New main Board), and then a new connector with the SATA pin-out.  Then, a major firmware upgrade, few would want to pay 2K to upgrade a already 3 year old model camera that is worth $1500 by the time the CFAST arrives.

CFast cards are not physically or electrically compatible with CompactFlash cards. However, since SATA can emulate the PATA command protocol, existing CompactFlash software drivers can be used, although writing new drivers to use AHCI instead of PATA emulation will almost always result in significant performance gains. CFast cards use a 7-pin SATA data connector (identical to the standard SATA connector), but a 17-pin power connector that appears incompatible with the standard 15-pin SATA power connector,[38] so an adaptor is required to connect CFast cards in place of standard SATA hard drives.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2013, 08:06:29 PM »