October 21, 2014, 05:51:59 AM

Author Topic: How do I order print online?  (Read 2943 times)

ashmadux

• Rebel T5i
  • Art Director, Visual Artist, Freelance Photography
    • View Profile
    • Edward Ofori Photography
Re: How do I order print online?
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2013, 09:03:53 PM »
thats softie file seems that the Af completely 'missed'.

I have quite a few of files like that from a 6d thats going back to the shop. Thanks canon :(
Be the best you, screw everything else.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2013, 09:03:53 PM »

Mt Spokane Photography

• EF 50mm F 0.7 IS
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2013, 09:24:29 PM »
Wow thanks Dr John for pointing that out.
I lost the cr2 when my pc crashed so i only have the jpg on flickr.
I remembered that iso was under 400 for sure. I had a b+w cpl filter on.
This worries me so i will take a look at the af adjustment and noise issue.
Any suggestions would be great!

[

Flickr does nasty things when you upload a jpeg, so you are working from a image that flickr may have tampered with.  Since its all you have, I'd calibrate your monitor and try to color correct any issues.  Then have a service print a smaller image first.  You can ask them to print the image as-is without any automatic color correction, and it should be fine.

I've had good luck with the cheap Costco 30 X 40 prints, but they are just posters and not serious prints.

unfocused

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
    • Unfocused: A photo website
« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2013, 09:59:34 PM »
A strong vote for MPix. I've never had a problem with them. Sadly, I can't say the same for Adorama.

About a year or so ago, they were running a special and I had a lot of 12 x18 prints to make, so I sent a batch to Adorama that I had previously had printed at MPix. Thought I would save some money. Big mistake.

They weren't terrible, but the colors were much more dull and and just not quite right.

With MPix I never have to do anything to the files other than upload them and pick the sizes and crops. Even if I am sending something where I've done some extensive effects (With some subjects I like very muted colors and will blend grayscale and color layers to get the effect I want. Other times I may need very vibrant almost garish colors. I'm also a heavy user of OnOne and Nik.)

It always seems that MPix knows exactly what I'm looking for and prints it perfectly. (Without any special instruction). In fact, even when I've sent the same file back to them because I needed more prints or needed different sizes, the prints come back almost perfectly matched to what I have ordered in the past.
pictures sharp. life not so much. www.unfocusedmg.com

Rienzphotoz

• Peace unto all ye Canon, Nikon & Sony shooters
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2013, 03:52:53 AM »
1. Before I enlarge a print, I get a smaller size to check it out. The way it appears on screen can look different than how it looks printed
I always do that but the guy at the camera lab, I use, told me that even though the smaller sample image looks good, it is no guarantee that the final size image will have the same colors, he said that it also depends on when the ink cartridges are loaded e.g. when fresh cartridges are loaded the lab produces more saturated images, according to him the when the cartridge is half way through is when he gets good images. Not sure if that it is true or not but that's what I've been told.
Canon 5DMK3 70D | Nikon D610 | Sony a7 a6000 | RX100M3 | 16-35/2.8LII | 70-200/2.8LISII | 100/2.8LIS | 100-400LIS | 40/2.8 | 50/1.4 | 85/1.8 | 600EX-RTx2 | ST-E3-RT | 24/3.5 T-S | 10-18/4 OSS 16-50 | 24-70/4OSS | 55/1.8 | 55-210 OSS | 70-200/4 OSS | 28-300VR | HVL-F43M | GoPro Black 3+ & DJI Phantom

duydaniel

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2013, 04:43:26 AM »
I think it is his job to make the large print identical to the sample print isn't it?
They make money out of this so do it right please.
Imagine your camera take picture differently depend on the battery level

1. Before I enlarge a print, I get a smaller size to check it out. The way it appears on screen can look different than how it looks printed
I always do that but the guy at the camera lab, I use, told me that even though the smaller sample image looks good, it is no guarantee that the final size image will have the same colors, he said that it also depends on when the ink cartridges are loaded e.g. when fresh cartridges are loaded the lab produces more saturated images, according to him the when the cartridge is half way through is when he gets good images. Not sure if that it is true or not but that's what I've been told.

Rienzphotoz

• Peace unto all ye Canon, Nikon & Sony shooters
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2013, 07:28:56 AM »
I think it is his job to make the large print identical to the sample print isn't it?
They make money out of this so do it right please.
Imagine your camera take picture differently depend on the battery level

That's why he suggests to take it after the full cartridge has been used for a bit ::)
Canon 5DMK3 70D | Nikon D610 | Sony a7 a6000 | RX100M3 | 16-35/2.8LII | 70-200/2.8LISII | 100/2.8LIS | 100-400LIS | 40/2.8 | 50/1.4 | 85/1.8 | 600EX-RTx2 | ST-E3-RT | 24/3.5 T-S | 10-18/4 OSS 16-50 | 24-70/4OSS | 55/1.8 | 55-210 OSS | 70-200/4 OSS | 28-300VR | HVL-F43M | GoPro Black 3+ & DJI Phantom

dryanparker

• Rebel T5i
  • Fine art photographer based in Miami.
    • View Profile
    • D RYAN PARKER Fine Art Photography
« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2013, 09:46:20 AM »
I use White House Custom Colour (whcc.com) and they are consistently excellent. Their quality control is fantastic.

Caveat is WHCC only services photography "professionals"; that is to say, people who deal in creating or sourcing work for print. I'm not a professional photographer by trade (it's a small part of my role as Creative Director), but I do deal in printing work as a "professional".

WHCC is highly recommended if you fall into that category.
5D3, 24-70L II, TS-E 24L II, Zeiss ZE 15 T* // X100S
www.dryanparker.com

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2013, 09:46:20 AM »

CTJohn

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 21, 2013, 10:12:47 AM »

"The only thing I haven't got in place is off site backup and I'm working towards that at my workshop."

I lost the cr2 when my pc crashed so i only have the jpg on flickr.

I have used Carbonite as my sole back-up for the last 2 years. Works out very well at a low cost per year and it's all automatic, once set-up you don't have to do anything. It's already paid for itself when my PC crashed last year and all of my files, including 5,000+ pictures were safe and sound.
+1.

My only complaint about Carbonite is how long it takes to upload a week's worth of photos...actually more of a complaint about my internet connection, I guess.  It's a very cheap and easy insurance policy.
EOS 6D * EOS 7D * EF 24/105 f/4L * EF 70-300 f/4-5.6L * EF 100 f/2.8L Macro * Tamron SP 150-600mm f/5-6.3

CTJohn

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 21, 2013, 11:24:18 AM »
A strong vote for MPix. I've never had a problem with them. Sadly, I can't say the same for Adorama.

About a year or so ago, they were running a special and I had a lot of 12 x18 prints to make, so I sent a batch to Adorama that I had previously had printed at MPix. Thought I would save some money. Big mistake.

They weren't terrible, but the colors were much more dull and and just not quite right.

With MPix I never have to do anything to the files other than upload them and pick the sizes and crops. Even if I am sending something where I've done some extensive effects (With some subjects I like very muted colors and will blend grayscale and color layers to get the effect I want. Other times I may need very vibrant almost garish colors. I'm also a heavy user of OnOne and Nik.)

It always seems that MPix knows exactly what I'm looking for and prints it perfectly. (Without any special instruction). In fact, even when I've sent the same file back to them because I needed more prints or needed different sizes, the prints come back almost perfectly matched to what I have ordered in the past.
I agree regarding MPIX.  My only complaint is that I have a real hard time matching brightness from my monitor to a print.  I use a Spyder 3 to calibrate colors, and I have brightness in my monitor turned down to 20%.  Invariably I need to print, up the brightness/contrast, print, and possibly up the brightness again before I'm ready to print an enlargement.  It's not an MPIX problem, but my frustration with the whole digital printing process.

I've recently tried Nations and think they're very comparable to MPIX....both get my recommendation.
EOS 6D * EOS 7D * EF 24/105 f/4L * EF 70-300 f/4-5.6L * EF 100 f/2.8L Macro * Tamron SP 150-600mm f/5-6.3

JPAZ

• Canon 7D MK II
  • If only I knew what I was doing.....
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 21, 2013, 12:20:01 PM »

My only complaint about Carbonite is how long it takes to upload a week's worth of photos...actually more of a complaint about my internet connection, I guess.  It's a very cheap and easy insurance policy.

I use Crashplan (along with mirror RAID and periodic backups to external drives).  Yeah, it is slow but since it is running in the background, it does not matter.  It is reassuring.  I've had HDD failures and the RAID makes that pretty painless.  I hope that I never need to see if Crashplan works cause that would mean I had a more catastrophic computer failure.
5d Mkiii; Eos-M; too many lenses; 430 EXii and a whole lot of stuff

digitalride

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 21, 2013, 12:36:15 PM »
I used adoramapix for a 20x30 picture of some deer in winter and it came back with pink snow.  Turns out they "corrected" it to try to make the deer look a more pleasing brown.  They reprinted it for free with no color correction and it was very nice.  I will use them again but will always specify "no corrections" in the future.

I also find that most prints (from everywhere I've tried including adorama)  are much darker than I'd like so I always brighten images up before printing, does anyone else have that problem?

duydaniel

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 21, 2013, 01:14:50 PM »
I used adoramapix for a 20x30 picture of some deer in winter and it came back with pink snow.  Turns out they "corrected" it to try to make the deer look a more pleasing brown.  They reprinted it for free with no color correction and it was very nice.  I will use them again but will always specify "no corrections" in the future.

I also find that most prints (from everywhere I've tried including adorama)  are much darker than I'd like so I always brighten images up before printing, does anyone else have that problem?

Darken your monitor maybe?  ;D

digitalride

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 21, 2013, 01:26:49 PM »
Darken your monitor maybe?  ;D

Yes, or put spot lights on all the photos :)

If it was just the monitors then the prints would look OK as long as the photo was exposed properly and not changed in post, but standard exposures out of a range of cameras all come out too dark in print.   

Maybe it is just my personal preference for lighter prints.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: November 21, 2013, 01:26:49 PM »

Halfrack

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 21, 2013, 01:29:33 PM »
Costco rocks !!! Just kidding...

Actually I have to love Costco because they do have ICC profiles available.  http://www.drycreekphoto.com/icc/
"Me owning a lens shop is kind of like having an alcoholic bar tender." - Roger Cicala

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #28 on: November 21, 2013, 01:29:33 PM »