October 23, 2017, 03:07:58 PM

Author Topic: "Your camera takes great photos" and other peeves  (Read 79090 times)

surapon

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • 80% BY HEART, 15% BY LENSES AND ONLY 5% BY CAMERA
Re: "Your camera takes great photos" and other peeves
« Reply #195 on: November 24, 2013, 02:15:18 PM »
Yes, Yes, Yes, " "Your camera takes great photos" "---Yes, Just you and your camera can take this great Photos---One in Life time.
Sorry ,  Not Me and Not My Camera.
Surapon

PS, Dear Friends, If you know who took these pictures and what kind of camera, Please let us know---THANKSSSSSS.

May be This One ?? :  http://www.hasselblad.com/about-hasselblad/hasselblad-in-space/space-cameras.aspx
« Last Edit: November 24, 2013, 02:21:40 PM by surapon »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #195 on: November 24, 2013, 02:15:18 PM »

surapon

« Reply #196 on: November 24, 2013, 02:16:04 PM »
Yes, Yes, Yes, " "Your camera takes great photos" "---Yes, Just you and your camera can take this great Photos---One in Life time.
Sorry , Not My Camera.
Surapon

surapon

« Reply #197 on: November 24, 2013, 02:16:50 PM »
Sorry , Not My Camera.
Surapon

ME

• EOS Rebel 300D
« Reply #198 on: November 24, 2013, 03:35:14 PM »
Photographers have a rather high opinion of themselves. They are probably the least earners in terms of industrial average and have rather substantial investments in their assets, but take offense when somebody gives credit to their gear.

If you are a painter, you could argue that it is your talent and skill that contribute most to the product you are developing. After all, having good quality canvas or paint alone is not going to translate into good painting. But a good quality lens and a good quality camera will give a good quality photo UNLESS the operator sucks. Of course, great photographers can get great results with great cameras, but the skill and talent necessary for great photos is not as great as photographers would like to believe. No offense, but we are in this rumor site where we talk nothing but gear -- so, gear does matter quite a bit in photography.

So, when somebody compliments your gear, just smile and reply back, "Thank you, without this expensive gear, my photo would look shitty just like coming from your iphone." That is the truth.

However, there is no way that average joe would take a good picture with a great camera/lens combo.  If he could, then photography studios would not have a photographer in them, they would rent the equipment to you for 15 minutes to do your family shot/portrait/boudoir/whatever by yourself.

<snip>

look at the light and the choice of background in the pictures your uncle/nephew/colleague who doesn't understand photography takes.

The operator takes the picture, hands down.  The expensive gear only makes your life easier, allows for more opportunities and enables you to utilize your potential more. It won't improve your pictures if you are clueless.

I think you're missing the main point I believe poias is making.  I believe the point is that photography is a combination of three things (a) technical skill; (b) equipment that's up to the job; (c) good aesthetic judgement.

Many photographers think that (a) is hard to develop.  With good teaching, and a willing (not necessarily talented) student, "average Joe" can develop decent technical skill pretty fast.  I have seen it happen several times.

As we all agree, (b) is pretty easy to buy if you have the money.

(c) is a major point of contention, and I think it's the main issue poias is addressing.  Many photographers have the absurd notion that photographic "talent" is some innate spiritual attribute.  That doesn't account for folks who don't start paying attention to art until after retirement, or following a traumatic event.  You can always engage in confirmation bias and postdiction to proclaim that so-and-so was "destined" to be an artist, but that's a steaming pile of freshly produced organic fertilizer.  While we know that some people have specific deficits that make it harder to do visual arts (acuity, poor depth perception or color vision), there has been, to date, no test to show which 3-year olds have artistic "talent" and which do not.

Photographic ability, like other "talents," is some inscrutable combination of heredity and development.  It is entirely possible that "Uncle Joe," who takes crappy pictures, will one day metaphorically wake-up and start learning to be a better photographer.  It won't happen overnight, but it can happen.  You don't know who doesn't have talent until they acquire the interest, and put in the effort to learn.  And one more thing: at any given level of skill, from incompetent to genius, "better" equipment helps.  (by "better" I mean more suited to your desired end-result)
I agree with you on your three points, for the most part. Skills are a definite asset, and can be developed by educating yourself and practicing a lot. I believe the old adage: practice makes perfect. As far as equipment is concerned, it can depend on what your objective is and what type of equipment is needed to achieve your goals. Shooting sports often requires expensive fast telephoto lenses and fast fps cameras. You only get one chance to capture that moment. And even if you are a skilled pro, if you miss too many shots because of inadequate gear, your income could be seriously reduced. I used sports shooting as one of the more obvious examples for possibly needing better equipment, and better equipment often correlates to expensive equipment. But just having expensive gear will not make you a talented photographer. As for talent, it is obvious some are born with it. Mozart is an extreme example of talent (genius) at a young age. Did he have to have the best musical equipment? Probably not, but it probably sounded better and made it easier for him to play and compose new music. How much time did he need to practice to improve his skills? Who knows, but i would guess not as much as most. As far as creating music as opposed to playing it, who knows where creativity or talent comes from? I have my ideas on this, but this is not the forum to discuss that subject matter, plus i dont have time and dont feel like. I think most of us believe that some people have more talent (something I believe is not related to education or practice) than others, and some discover it at various times of their lives. At least that is what I have observed.  As far as photography vs painting, having done both, I am inclined to say that many more people can take an "ok" photograph than can paint an "ok" painting. And that is mainly because  technology makes it easier. (I am not  going to get started on a debate of what constitutes a "good" photograph or painting , but I think there is often a general consensus at any particular time in history, or of what the majority of people like at a given time-is it all relative? And we each have our personal likes/dislikes that may or may not agree with the masses, and may change with time). However, if someone is going to take a particular type of photograph within a specific time frame and/or circumstances, I believe someone with skills and a certain amount of talent will be much more likely to get the desired results more consistently, which is usually a requirement of professionals. And having the right equipment for the occassion can definitely make a difference. Everybody is bound to have a little luck once in a while. And there are exceptionally gifted people, but those are the exceptions, not the rule. As far as people making ignorant remarks about your gear, I guess MOST of the time I believe people are just trying to be nice and make coversation, and may be curious about your gear for whatever reason ( hopefully no plans to steal it). And even though it is an ignorant remark, ideally, I believe patience and courtesy/politeness is a good response. On a bad day/bad mood, a response might be to roll my eyes and say: "Yes, in the right hands this camera CAN take very good photos."
« Last Edit: November 24, 2013, 07:04:09 PM by ME »
5DII,50D,Canon|Sigma|Zeiss|Samyang|LENSES
http://www.flickr.com/photos/iveseenthelight/

ME

• EOS Rebel 300D
« Reply #199 on: November 24, 2013, 06:58:21 PM »
Sorry , Not My Camera.
Surapon

I am fairly certain that I didnt take those photos. I would probably remember. There is a movie out with images similar to some of these. They make it look realistic. Did we really land on the moon? ??? ;D   The important thing about those images is how good is the DR. Were they taken with a Canon or Nikon? Whatever it is, it does take great photos. I wonder if a ND or polarizer was used.

ajfotofilmagem

« Reply #200 on: November 24, 2013, 07:42:42 PM »
Surapon

PS, Dear Friends, If you know who took these pictures and what kind of camera, Please let us know---THANKSSSSSS.

May be This One ?? :  http://www.hasselblad.com/about-hasselblad/hasselblad-in-space/space-cameras.aspx
It seems to me that the photos of astronaut were taken with the medium format film, not digital. However, I am intrigued by the shadows are not much dark, after all there is no atmosphere to reflect the sun's rays. Being the space is black, and not blue (above the atmosphere) which is reflecting light so that the shadows are not extremely black? I can not imagine a silver reflector or softbox being used to artistically pleasing results ...
« Last Edit: November 24, 2013, 07:46:05 PM by ajfotofilmagem »

ME

• EOS Rebel 300D
« Reply #201 on: November 24, 2013, 08:36:16 PM »
Surapon

It seems to me that the photos of astronaut were taken with the medium format film, not digital. However, I am intrigued by the shadows are not much dark, after all there is no atmosphere to reflect the sun's rays. Being the space is black, and not blue (above the atmosphere) which is reflecting light so that the shadows are not extremely black? I can not imagine a silver reflector or softbox being used to artistically pleasing results ...

I was just making silly jokes about the old (now almost dead) debates about nikon vs canon d.r. and the controversy over whether the USA actually landed on the moon  or made a movie on Earth ground. (I personally believe it was an actual moon landing). But you do bring up some interesting points. Since much of the spacecraft is white, or very reflective, the not-so-dark shadows could be because of all the reflected light. And some of it could be reflected from the earth,  depending on it's position relative to the sun & space craft. Is the moon close by? And what about that UFO close by! There I go again making silly humor.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #201 on: November 24, 2013, 08:36:16 PM »

RLPhoto

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Gear doesn't matter, Just a Matter of Convenience.
    • My Portfolio

surapon

« Reply #203 on: November 24, 2013, 09:35:52 PM »
Sorry, My Love Canon,  But Nikon  D2Xs went to space before you-------
http://www.popphoto.com/gear/2011/07/how-does-nasa-get-nikon-d2xs-ready-to-go-to-space

Surapon

Rienzphotoz

• Peace unto all ye Canon, Nikon & Sony shooters
« Reply #204 on: November 24, 2013, 10:00:20 PM »
Canon 5DMK3 70D | Nikon D610 | Sony a7 a6000 | RX100M3 | 16-35/2.8LII | 70-200/2.8LISII | 100/2.8LIS | 100-400LIS | 40/2.8 | 50/1.4 | 85/1.8 | 600EX-RTx2 | ST-E3-RT | 24/3.5 T-S | 10-18/4 OSS 16-50 | 24-70/4OSS | 55/1.8 | 55-210 OSS | 70-200/4 OSS | 28-300VR | HVL-F43M | GoPro Black 3+ & DJI Phantom

Dick

• EOS M5
« Reply #205 on: November 25, 2013, 12:43:07 AM »
Did we really land on the moon? ??? ;D   

We did not. Someone maybe did, but it's all about trust, I guess, when it comes to that. One has to bear in mind that the cold war times were times of fooling the other... or were they?

This is something that really pisses me off though. Sports teams are playing against each other and some spectator or even a narrator says that "we now need to" or "if we win this" or something similar. One has to play to be considered being in the team! The common options for a Lakers fan are 1) we won 2) the Lakers lost.

I have heard of people who have won Olympic medals by watching the TV at home. I've never heard of someone who finished last by watching the TV. So when someone else does something great, it's cool to take it away from him/her? When someone on the other hand fails, it's on him/her?

I guess this is the world we live in. Governments are there to take a part of your earnings and operating profit, but when your business goes bankrupt, they will not pay their shares. As long as you are making a profit, they are proud to be a part of it all.

Sorry I went so far off topic. Now back to the topic -->

I take great pics with my camera!
When my photos are not that great, it's because of the poor dynamic range.

^This is the lame stuff I see here on the forum. Even in this thread people act like everything that they create, is a result of their untouchable skills. When the outcome sucks, the equipment is bad.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2013, 01:51:49 AM by Dick »
EOS 5D Mark III
8-15L, 24-105L, 24L II, 85L II, 100L + a 35mm Sigma

Roo

• EOS 5DS R
« Reply #206 on: November 25, 2013, 01:43:49 AM »

Ahh yes America where a lot of people believe wrestling is real and the moon landing faked  ::) lol
5Div, 5Diii, 60D, GoPro Hero 4, DJI Phantom 3, Canon 16-35 f4L, Canon 24-70 f2.8L ii, Canon 24-105 f4L, Canon 70-200 f2.8L is II, Canon 50 f1.8 STM, Canon 100 f2.8L, Samyang 14 2.8, Tamron 17-50 2.8 vcd, Tamron 90 f2.8macro, Tamron 150-600, Yongnuo YN-E3-RT, Yongnuo YN600EX-RT (x3), Nissin Di866 II

Rienzphotoz

« Reply #207 on: November 25, 2013, 01:45:23 AM »
Ahh yes America where a lot of people believe wrestling is real and the moon landing faked  ::) lol
;D ;D ;D
Canon 5DMK3 70D | Nikon D610 | Sony a7 a6000 | RX100M3 | 16-35/2.8LII | 70-200/2.8LISII | 100/2.8LIS | 100-400LIS | 40/2.8 | 50/1.4 | 85/1.8 | 600EX-RTx2 | ST-E3-RT | 24/3.5 T-S | 10-18/4 OSS 16-50 | 24-70/4OSS | 55/1.8 | 55-210 OSS | 70-200/4 OSS | 28-300VR | HVL-F43M | GoPro Black 3+ & DJI Phantom

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #207 on: November 25, 2013, 01:45:23 AM »

LetTheRightLensIn

« Reply #208 on: November 25, 2013, 02:22:33 AM »

We did not. Someone maybe did, but it's all about trust, I guess, when it comes to that. One has to bear in mind that the cold war times were times of fooling the other... or were they?

This is something that really pisses me off though. Sports teams are playing against each other and some spectator or even a narrator says that "we now need to" or "if we win this" or something similar. One has to play to be considered being in the team! The common options for a Lakers fan are 1) we won 2) the Lakers lost.

I have heard of people who have won Olympic medals by watching the TV at home. I've never heard of someone who finished last by watching the TV. So when someone else does something great, it's cool to take it away from him/her? When someone on the other hand fails, it's on him/her?

I guess this is the world we live in. Governments are there to take a part of your earnings and operating profit, but when your business goes bankrupt, they will not pay their shares. As long as you are making a profit, they are proud to be a part of it all.

Sorry I went so far off topic. Now back to the topic -->

I take great pics with my camera!
When my photos are not that great, it's because of the poor dynamic range.

^This is the lame stuff I see here on the forum. Even in this thread people act like everything that they create, is a result of their untouchable skills. When the outcome sucks, the equipment is bad.

wow I think you read wayyyy too much into things

Rienzphotoz

« Reply #209 on: November 25, 2013, 02:35:44 AM »
Sorry I went so far off topic.
You sure? I thought you were very reasonable  ;D
« Last Edit: November 25, 2013, 02:39:31 AM by Rienzphotoz »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #209 on: November 25, 2013, 02:35:44 AM »