October 25, 2014, 02:27:44 AM

Author Topic: Photoshop CC & Lightroom 5 for $9.99/mth  (Read 6364 times)

dppaskewitz

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
Re: Photoshop CC & Lightroom 5 for $9.99/mth
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2013, 01:26:27 PM »
I currently own LR 4.  I also own Elements 8.0.  I was thinking about upgrading to LR 5 and perhaps upgrading Elements as well to the current version.  I don't own Photoshop - it is probably more than I need as an enthusiast who is learning post processing.  And, I'm sure I will never spend the money to buy it (assuming that I could still buy it).  So, what to do.  Upgrading to LR 5:  $80.   Upgrading to Elements 12:  $80.  One year of this offer:  $120.  I do the math, and it seems that if I want to stay current, and if LR and Elements have new versions in a year, I am better off just renting the software (I pay less and I get Photoshop instead of Elements).  Say I skip a version and so I'm upgrading for $160 for LR and Elements every two years and spending $240 for two years of the subscription model.  It cost me $80 for keeping absolutely up to date with the software and getting Photoshop instead of Elements.  I also get a website thrown in (which I may use if my busy retired schedule ever lets me find the time).

I absolutely hate the idea of being at the mercy of Adobe.  Both price-wise and software-wise.  But aren't I anyway?  We don't know what the price will be of future upgrades (or even whether we will be able to buy individual software labels instead of "renting" them).  I'm pretty much invested in using LR anyway.  Sure, I still have all my raws.  But without Adobe software to read the edits I have made, all those hours are gone (yes, I could save the final edits as TIFFS or something and probably should, but that adds another complication of storage, file organization and backup). 

$10 bucks a month?  We all spend more than $10 per month on other "subscriptions."  Cable, phone, cellphone, on-line storage.  The list goes on and on.

Looks like I am going to bite the bullet before December 2nd.  Any last thoughts before I do?
5Dc; 6D; M; several lenses.  Enthusiast.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2013, 01:26:27 PM »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2013, 01:30:33 PM »
Looks like I am going to bite the bullet before December 2nd.  Any last thoughts before I do?

DON'T LET ADOBE OWN YOU.

SEND THEM A MESSAGE WITH YOUR WALLET SO THEY CHANGE THEIR THIEVING AND DEGENERATE WAYS.

THEY'LL SOON RAISE THE SUBSCRIPTION PRICE TO $300/MONTH.

OWNERS RULE, RENTERS DROOL.

:P

I jest.  It seems like a really good deal, and for someone who doesn't own CS6, it's almost a no-brainer.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

GmwDarkroom

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2013, 02:08:47 PM »
Yeah, but from a business perspective it might not be so bad.  The price is supposed to stay stable once you've subscribed, but even if Adobe changes their policy and raises it, that won't happen frequently.  For a business, predictability and the ability to forecast expenses is important, and the subscription model offers it.  Spending a known (and pretty small) amount each month might be an advantage over a need to spend several hundred dollars at widely spaced intervals.
I totally agree.  I have lots of software and don't like to be using last year's -- let alone 5+ years ago -- software.  Visual Studio, Eclipse, Lightroom, SDKs, and most others are on an "upgrade quickly" model as they usually have features I want.  Any photographer who thinks $10 or $50 a month is a lot has never taken a look at MSDN subscription rates!

Having a company squeeze you into a particular payment model is annoying, though.
DON'T LET ADOBE OWN YOU.
Heh.  Microsoft, Borland, Blizzard, Verant/SOE, why should Adobe be left out of the list?   ;)

bitm2007

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2013, 02:26:45 PM »

Keep an eye on Amazon's Black Friday sales, the deals start on Monday.  I have picked up massive discounts on both Lightroom and Elements in the past
« Last Edit: November 22, 2013, 02:38:34 PM by bitm2007 »

alexanderferdinand

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2013, 02:41:32 PM »
Yep, Adobe currency exchange calculator is defect.
10$ is around 7 oder 8€; but they charge 12.99€.
No, no. Not a sign for nothing.
1D MKIV, 5DMk III, lot of lenses, flashes etc
Fuji X100s, Sony RX100 III

degies

• Canon AE-1
  • ta daaaa
    • View Profile
    • Degies927
« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2013, 02:42:17 PM »
I was considering this option because of the PS benefit. I use lightroom for 95% of my photo's , but every now and again there  is stuff lighroom just cannot do. I cannot justify the once off cost , but a $10 monthly is almost a  no brainer.
For those who seem to think a monthly subscription will own your soul I wonder about Microsoft, Google Apps, or even their Cable TV , or how they finance their car and their house? Subscription just seems to be another type of payment system

Then thing that gets me is this. In the week I had a letter from Adobe saying they have been compromised and customer information including credit card information has been taken in the breach. The only thing they cannot say is whether passwords has been successfully decrypted. Now if I am not mistaken this is the second time they have been compromised. How do you trust anyone with when this stuff happens?

Wishing i can leave my Day-Job and do this full time :)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/degies927
http://degies.wordpress.com

RVB

• Canon AE-1
  • 1DX
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2013, 03:10:05 PM »
This promo makes me think that their new licensing approach is not as successful as they had thought it would be. 

Agreed.

I'll continue to use my 'perpetual license' version, thank you very much.

So will I…but for those that don't already have a CS license, the cost of Photoshop CS6 new would pay for close to 6 years of a subscription at $10/month, and they'd have CS7, CS8, etc., when they come out.  That doesn't sound like such a bad deal…

Thats "if" it stays at $10 p.m...  I wouldn't bet on it..

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2013, 03:10:05 PM »

dilbert

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 22, 2013, 10:45:55 PM »
This promo makes me think that their new licensing approach is not as successful as they had thought it would be. 

Agreed.

So will I…but for those that don't already have a CS license, the cost of Photoshop CS6 new would pay for close to 6 years of a subscription at $10/month, and they'd have CS7, CS8, etc., when they come out.  That doesn't sound like such a bad deal…

Exactly. I can easily imagine that there is some clause in the contract somewhere that gives them the right to change the per-month cost either at will now or at will after a certain honeymoon period.

LetTheRightLensIn

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 22, 2013, 11:13:44 PM »

Agreed.

Exactly. I can easily imagine that there is some clause in the contract somewhere that gives them the right to change the per-month cost either at will now or at will after a certain honeymoon period.

They've already admitted that they are free to change the price at any time after the initial 12 months and that it might 'potentially' go up (or even down  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ::) ). Although they still try to give the impression as much as possible that if only you sign your soul over I mean sign up in time you will get it locked at $10 forever.

They are desperate. Stay away and they will eventually give in.
If you already have CS6 what do you even get for this first 12 x $10? A few minor little updates. Hold out.

weixing

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 23, 2013, 01:21:04 PM »
Hi,
    The price is good, but I'll still stay away from it.

The reason is that I mainly use Lightroom 4 to catalog my photos. If I sign up the offer and upgrade to Lightroom 5 and if they raise the price later to amount that I can't afford, then I'll have a big problem as I don't think Lightroom 4 can read Lightroom 5 catalog. So even if I reinstall Lightroom 4, I might have to redo all my tagging which is a lot of work.

Have a nice day.

degies

• Canon AE-1
  • ta daaaa
    • View Profile
    • Degies927
« Reply #25 on: November 23, 2013, 03:09:22 PM »
The reason is that I mainly use Lightroom 4 to catalog my photos. If I sign up the offer and upgrade to Lightroom 5 and if they raise the price later to amount that I can't afford, then I'll have a big problem as I don't think Lightroom 4 can read Lightroom 5 catalog. So even if I reinstall Lightroom 4, I might have to redo all my tagging which is a lot of work.

I upgraded from v4 to v5 and it took some time to upgrade the catalog, but I can still use v4 with it's catalog. obviously everything since then was in v5 so that cannot go back to v4
Wishing i can leave my Day-Job and do this full time :)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/degies927
http://degies.wordpress.com

Nitroman

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 23, 2013, 03:26:30 PM »
So what happens next year when Canon release the rumoured high megapixel camera ?

Will CS6 Camera Raw support the new raw files or will we have to upgrade to CC ?

I've not bought a new camera in the last three years so unsure how this affects me ...

MovingViolations

• Power Shot G7X
  • Older but better..........
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 24, 2013, 01:55:33 AM »
I'll use what ever Canon supplies software wise for the RAW to Tiff conversion and then my stand alone CS6 with what ever new high MP body Canon releases. I'm not venturing into an Adobe trap. I too got the letter about my account being compromised. Had to change bank cards  because of it.  >:(
Canon 1D MII, 24-70 f2.8L and shopping.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: November 24, 2013, 01:55:33 AM »

wickidwombat

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 24, 2013, 08:22:22 AM »

Agreed.

IF it stays at $10 a month that is... and there in lies the rub. The whole point of this CC system as with all of this type of licensing is it is like a corner crack dealer, get em hooked cheap then once they are on the gear they can do what they want with the prices. Its evil pure and simple.

But Adobe look like they might have really shot themselves in the balls with this one especially with reports of the DxO software being pretty good and beating LR for noise reduction too which is impressive!
APS-H Fanboy

bitm2007

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 25, 2013, 03:30:15 AM »

Adobe are offering 40% off Lightroom 5 and 50% off the Photoshop/Premiere Elements 12 bundle today.

http://www.adobe.com/uk/products/special-offers.html

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: November 25, 2013, 03:30:15 AM »