August 27, 2014, 03:07:30 PM

Author Topic: Rumored 1D Mark V For October & Spec List [CR1]  (Read 11900 times)

Chris primadona

Re: Rumored 1D Mark V For October & Spec List [CR1]
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2011, 12:56:32 PM »
I would spit out my earl grey and my monocle would fly from my face in surprise if they announce a new 1d/1ds body with only 18mp. Even if they don't have an amalgamated 1Ds/1D I would expect the 1d to have well over 20mp and the 1ds over 30mp.

bvukich

• Spam Assassin
  • Administrator
  • 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
    • My (sparse) ZenFolio Site
« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2011, 01:44:14 PM »
Whoever made up this list needs to learn what native ISO means before sending in any more wish lists.

Looked this up myself and got confused: http://www.luminous-landscape.com/forum/index.php?topic=31048

What makes most sense to me is this response:
"The answer sounded like this: It's the ISO setting where the camera's chip was designed for and test results are based on this ISO sensitivity."

Meaning, 100 could be correct

Edit: Nevermind, I took a course and get it better now. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wUahw9kGUeQ

Oops, I probably should have explained...  A sensor only has a single native ISO, usually somewhere between 50 & 200.  Any ISO below that is attenuated, any ISO above that is amplified.

They probably meant standard (or many other words besides "native", which has a specific meaning in this context) ISO range, i.e. not H1/H2/L1.

hambergler

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2011, 03:50:44 PM »
I hope its true.  I don't really get people complaining about megapixels

This is supposed to be a sports/ fast action / low light camera

IE excellent autofocus - great low light capability and high FPS

as long as it is full frame beats out the D3s successor I would love it

Edit and don't compare the A77.

The A77 is worse in terms of DR and is insanely noisy compared to the D7000.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2011, 04:16:07 PM by hambergler »
5D III | 24-70 II| 50 1.4| 70-200 2.8 IS II| 600 EX-RTx4| EF 2.0X III

EYEONE

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2011, 04:08:45 PM »
fairly not-believable.  I think someone has posted this in the forums as well.  besides the silly announcement date (since when does Canon want to come out right before a big Nikon announcement?  they like to come out right after), the ugrading from 16 MP to 18 MP seems a little pointless.  whenever the 1D V comes out, I expect it to carry 20+ MP (which would correspond in pixel density to a mid-30 MP FF camera ... makes sense, right?)

That's assuming it's APS-H, right?  I thought APS-H was dead.....

right, assuming it's APS-H.  that being said, the only folks who I've heard say APS-H is dead are people on forums.  to my knowledge, Canon has never issued a statement saying they feel their APS-H sensor is ready to be canned.

I see.  Well, I'd wager that Canon is going to can APS-H.  I think the A77 demonstrates that processing can be done fast enough to push a high frame rate with a dense sensor, all while being relatively affordable.  But, no one really knows.  We will have to wait.

What does the A77's 24mp sensor have to do with whether or not this is a 18mp FF or an 18mp ASP-H?
Canon 5D Mark III w/BG-E11, Canon 7D w/BG-E7: EF 24-70mm f.2.8L, EF 70-200mm f2.8L IS II, EF 40mm f2.8 Pancake STM, Speedlite 430EXII + 430EXI, Canon EOS 3

Dave

« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2011, 04:35:29 PM »
Well, don't think it's true...

1st:
Heavier? Why? The current 1D is quite a heavy peace of technology. The trend goes to smaller and lighter bodies. Imo Canon can't (and won't) ignore that

2nd:
18 MP... For me it would be okay. I don't like the Megapixel War. But actually it is also the futre. Sigma is already at a 46 MP DSLR. I don't think that canon could afford to bring a state-of-the-art-camera with less than 24MP. It's a marketing issue.

regards, Dave

dilbert

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2011, 04:57:34 PM »
Regarding megapixels, the number of megapixels for a sports photographer's camera is decided more by the print density required by magazines/newspapers.

Having an 80MP sensor does you no good because most of them are going to be thrown away.

As to the weight, most of the 1D bodies end up attached to lenses mounted on monopods or on tripods.

I can count the number of 1Ds that I've seen being carried around by "tourists" on one hand (same for 1Ds.)

Heidrun

« Reply #21 on: October 06, 2011, 05:08:20 PM »
Regarding megapixels, the number of megapixels for a sports photographer's camera is decided more by the print density required by magazines/newspapers.

Having an 80MP sensor does you no good because most of them are going to be thrown away.

As to the weight, most of the 1D bodies end up attached to lenses mounted on monopods or on tripods.

I can count the number of 1Ds that I've seen being carried around by "tourists" on one hand (same for 1Ds.)

I carry one around with 70-200f.2,8L is mk II  ;D

nikkito

• 7D
  • Argentine freelance photographer
    • View Profile
    • Facebook photo page
« Reply #22 on: October 06, 2011, 06:04:42 PM »
there is one thing people tend to forget when talking about megapixels. I'm a photojournalist and having more megapixels means having more chances to crop and crop the image and still have a photo that can be published. In cases like this is when the megapixels are very very useful :)
www.nicolaszonvi.com - www.facebook.com/zonviphoto

1D X, 5D Mk III, 5D Mk II, 16-35L, 24-70L, 70-200L IS, 85 f1.2, 40 f2.8, 50 f1.4, Sigma 10-20 and many other toy cameras.

Zuuyi

« Reply #23 on: October 07, 2011, 03:25:23 PM »
there is one thing people tend to forget when talking about megapixels. I'm a photojournalist and having more megapixels means having more chances to crop and crop the image and still have a photo that can be published. In cases like this is when the megapixels are very very useful :)

My thoughts exactly.  I just see extra pixels as allowing me to crop more and still produce the pixel density I need.  So expect the 1Ds & 5D to have 40 & 30 MP, respectfully.  But I would fall in the 1Ds/5D group.

The 1D & 7D are speed cameras and I would be shocked if they go above 25 MP in their next updates.  Why improve something in which the users don't care about, when you can make other fixes which they would be happier about.

Polansky

« Reply #24 on: October 08, 2011, 02:34:16 PM »
I have heard of an CPS invite for pro photographers...
Don't know if its true.

But if so I think it will be on this site soon.  ;)

surfing_geek

« Reply #25 on: October 08, 2011, 04:18:36 PM »
Northlight Images (http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/cameras/Canon_rumours.html) have just reported on a CPS event in the Nederlands on 18th October.  Maybe we'll see something then...

Joseph

« Reply #26 on: October 09, 2011, 06:34:28 AM »
fairly not-believable.  I think someone has posted this in the forums as well.  besides the silly announcement date (since when does Canon want to come out right before a big Nikon announcement?  they like to come out right after), the ugrading from 16 MP to 18 MP seems a little pointless.  whenever the 1D V comes out, I expect it to carry 20+ MP (which would correspond in pixel density to a mid-30 MP FF camera ... makes sense, right?)

That's assuming it's APS-H, right?  I thought APS-H was dead.....

right, assuming it's APS-H.  that being said, the only folks who I've heard say APS-H is dead are people on forums.  to my knowledge, Canon has never issued a statement saying they feel their APS-H sensor is ready to be canned.

I see.  Well, I'd wager that Canon is going to can APS-H.  I think the A77 demonstrates that processing can be done fast enough to push a high frame rate with a dense sensor, all while being relatively affordable.  But, no one really knows.  We will have to wait.

What does the A77's 24mp sensor have to do with whether or not this is a 18mp FF or an 18mp ASP-H?

If they decide to merge the 1D series cameras together , you better believe the new one will have phenominal statistics - keeping it apealing to the pro users - and giving it the leading edge over everything else they produce .

My aps-H prediction is ... they will put the next H sensor in the new 7D series or equilvelent. The 1D / 5D will be thier Full Frame bodies covering 2 different realms / genres of photography , then give the 7D a sensor upgrade from the 22mm (apsC) to the 27mm (apsH) - it makes sense if you think about it - why do away with something that can be used as a selling point for a new product - the H sensor is the edge the 7 series needs over the Rebels to hold the single digit name it has.

In any case I am ready for a new camera , and can't wait for the announcment - and since Im talking on CR for the first time , I might as well make my 1D guesstimation :)

34.2 Megapixel FF sensor.

12.5 Frames per second Full Frame

Dual digic 5.

(Digic 5 will offer a new high speed cache to dump images extremely fast to memory cards to keep up with the frame rate , process noise better , and have a new selectable auto focus , that can calculate the last image you shot , and stay in the focal range to speed up focus lock on.)

Slightly lighter body.

Higher capacity battery.

New higher resolution preview screen.

Love the site - cross your fingers for a new 1D this year everyone !!!!

moreorless

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 09, 2011, 05:35:01 PM »
My aps-H prediction is ... they will put the next H sensor in the new 7D series or equilvelent. The 1D / 5D will be thier Full Frame bodies covering 2 different realms / genres of photography , then give the 7D a sensor upgrade from the 22mm (apsC) to the 27mm (apsH) - it makes sense if you think about it - why do away with something that can be used as a selling point for a new product - the H sensor is the edge the 7 series needs over the Rebels to hold the single digit name it has.

The problem with taking that direction would surely be though that it would hold back EF-S lens owners from upgrading.

If ASPH were kept on in some form after a 1D/1Ds merge then what about using it for a mirrorless? seems like it could be a good middle ground there offering superior quality to the NEX while not pushing size/price too far, espeically if it has lenses built for the sensor rather than FF.

Joseph

« Reply #28 on: October 10, 2011, 12:22:02 AM »

The problem with taking that direction would surely be though that it would hold back EF-S lens owners from upgrading.

If ASPH were kept on in some form after a 1D/1Ds merge then what about using it for a mirrorless? seems like it could be a good middle ground there offering superior quality to the NEX while not pushing size/price too far, espeically if it has lenses built for the sensor rather than FF.

Well , with the amount of Rebel models releasing now , the EF-S owners always have something nice to choose from - The T3 entry level , and the very nicely feature upgraded T3i for example -

I can even see them keeping the entry level at the same theory for photographers on a extreme budget , and then adding a little extra weather protection , and shutter durability to the upgraded models to give consumers the affordable workhorse for their EFS lenses.

1D , and 5D for FULL FRAME  - - 7D , and maybe Mirrorless for aps-H - - -  T3 , and T3i equiv for the aps-C - - - giving Canon 2 bodies per sensor . We'll see though :)

aldvan

« Reply #29 on: October 10, 2011, 12:57:57 AM »

I carry one around with 70-200f.2,8L is mk II  ;D

That's nothing... I go around with a 1Ds Mk3 + 100-400 on the left shoulder and a 5D Mk2 with a 16-35 on the right... The World is full of crazy people! :-)