October 21, 2014, 08:05:02 AM

Author Topic: Best tablet for on-location preview  (Read 5996 times)

Mt Spokane Photography

• EF 50mm F 0.7 IS
    • View Profile
Re: Best tablet for on-location preview
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2013, 12:42:39 PM »
OP specifically mentioned issues with exposures not looking on the screen like lightroom when he gets home.

To address this, be aware that many tablets have a limited color gamut, and will ALWAYS look different from a nicely calibrated color monitor with a wider color gamut.  There is nothing that can be done except to be sure you pick a tablet with as wide a color gamut as possible.  Neither Lightroom or any other software can fix a limited color gamut.
The DisplayMate web site evaluates a lot of mobile displays for vatious charcheristics that are of interest to Photographers. 
http://www.displaymate.com/index.html

You can see the extensive results here for some of the full sized tablets.  If I were going to pick a tablet which would have a display and colors that were as close to a real monitor as possible, it would be a Kindle HDX, followed closely by the Ipad air.  The Surface RT is good but the Samsung is a step down.

http://www.displaymate.com/Surface_RT_ShootOut_1.htm

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2013, 12:42:39 PM »

wickidwombat

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2013, 04:35:04 AM »
OP specifically mentioned issues with exposures not looking on the screen like lightroom when he gets home.

To address this, be aware that many tablets have a limited color gamut, and will ALWAYS look different from a nicely calibrated color monitor with a wider color gamut.  There is nothing that can be done except to be sure you pick a tablet with as wide a color gamut as possible.  Neither Lightroom or any other software can fix a limited color gamut.
The DisplayMate web site evaluates a lot of mobile displays for vatious charcheristics that are of interest to Photographers. 

You can see the extensive results here for some of the full sized tablets.  If I were going to pick a tablet which would have a display and colors that were as close to a real monitor as possible, it would be a Kindle HDX, followed closely by the Ipad air.  The Surface RT is good but the Samsung is a step down.

nice link thanks for the info :)

here is what they say about the new nexus 7

"Overview of the new Google Nexus 7
The new Google Nexus 7 (manufactured for Google by Asus) has a very impressive display that uses the highest performance LCDs with Low Temperature Poly Silicon LTPS, the same technology used in the iPhone 4 and 5, but on the new Nexus 7 with more than 3 times the screen area – it’s currently the second largest LTPS on a mobile display after the Kindle Fire HDX 8.9 mentioned above. The very high efficiency LTPS technology allows the new Nexus 7 display to provide a full 100 percent Color Gamut and at the same time produce the brightest Tablet display that we have measured so far in this Shoot-Out series. More on these issues below."

100% color gamut  :o i know i felt it was really nice to use and view picture on but wasn't expecting that

full article
http://www.displaymate.com/Tablet_ShootOut_4.htm
« Last Edit: November 30, 2013, 04:39:23 AM by wickidwombat »
APS-H Fanboy

zim

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2013, 05:05:14 AM »

nice link thanks for the info :)

here is what they say about the new nexus 7

"Overview of the new Google Nexus 7
The new Google Nexus 7 (manufactured for Google by Asus) has a very impressive display that uses the highest performance LCDs with Low Temperature Poly Silicon LTPS, the same technology used in the iPhone 4 and 5, but on the new Nexus 7 with more than 3 times the screen area – it’s currently the second largest LTPS on a mobile display after the Kindle Fire HDX 8.9 mentioned above. The very high efficiency LTPS technology allows the new Nexus 7 display to provide a full 100 percent Color Gamut and at the same time produce the brightest Tablet display that we have measured so far in this Shoot-Out series. More on these issues below."

100% color gamut  :o i know i felt it was really nice to use and view picture on but wasn't expecting that

full article
http://www.displaymate.com/Tablet_ShootOut_4.htm

+1 thanks for the link very interesting, surprised they've not done the RT Pro yet though, maybe I just missed it

WPJ

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2013, 09:38:08 AM »
The original RT had a low red screen now the SurfaceRT 2 has the same screen as the pro, its just the rt has 5 point touch and the pro has 10 point touch.

the RT only runs store apps, lightroom is not one of them, the pro is a full laptop which has a pen,and can also turn into a tablet like Waco (sp) for your pc

Pag

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2013, 11:11:24 AM »
Just bought a Surface Pro 2, and l can confirm the awesomeness. The screen is great, the system is fast and it runs any windows apps including Lightroom. The pressure-sensitive pen is great to edit photos with, and the system comes with impressive handwriting recognition (which I'm using now...)

WPJ

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2013, 02:23:07 PM »
Just bought a Surface Pro 2, and l can confirm the awesomeness. The screen is great, the system is fast and it runs any windows apps including Lightroom. The pressure-sensitive pen is great to edit photos with, and the system comes with impressive handwriting recognition (which I'm using now...)

NICE WORK. I jut got an RT let week for 149 I could not say no to that.  A pro I next on my list

trof2

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2013, 04:53:12 PM »

Thank you for the recommendation.  That is a very helpful website.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2013, 04:53:12 PM »

jVillaPhoto

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
    • JVillaPhoto
« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2013, 05:33:21 PM »
Does anyone know if there is an iOS app out there (no jailbreak) that will let you view photos with the camera connection kit without having to import them onto the iPad first? I would love if something like that existed! I hate having to import the photos in order to view them. I have an iPad 3 if that makes any difference. If not, I'll look into a surface pro tablet that everyone seems to really like :) thanks!
5D Mark III, 60D,
50L, 70-200 f/2.8L II (35L coming soon!)
www.jvillaphoto.com

WPJ

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 30, 2013, 05:43:28 PM »
Surface and plug in a card reader and away you go

privatebydesign

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Ermintrude says "moo"
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 30, 2013, 06:40:23 PM »
Does anyone know if there is an iOS app out there (no jailbreak) that will let you view photos with the camera connection kit without having to import them onto the iPad first? I would love if something like that existed! I hate having to import the photos in order to view them. I have an iPad 3 if that makes any difference. If not, I'll look into a surface pro tablet that everyone seems to really like :) thanks!

All the Canon WFT's will let you do that via a web browser, you can look through the cards in the camera in thumbnails, full page or full resolution without downloading them to the iPad, or phone, or any browser equipped device.
The best time to plant a tree is twenty-five years ago. The second best time is today.

HankMD

• Canon AE-1
  • SLR newbie since July, 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 01, 2013, 08:42:28 AM »
i'm using the new google nexus 7 super sharp resolution cheap and can use chain fire dslr controller unlike iOS device which STILL don't support usb host...  ::)

+1 for Nexus 7 (2013).

I haven't tried DSLR Controller (still in beta) but seems pretty powerful.

Surface pro 2 running light room, need I say more

It's quite a bit heavier compared to Nexus or iPads. More like an ultrabook.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2013, 08:46:03 AM by HankMD »
6D | 7D | 10-22 | 40 | 18-135 IS | 70-200 IS II | Tamron 150-600

Mt Spokane Photography

• EF 50mm F 0.7 IS
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 01, 2013, 01:30:40 PM »
I don't think that  "everyone" Recommends the Surface Pro, there are a lot of reviews done properly by professionals.  If you want a Windows8 tablet for photography, you can do better.  Its not bad, just not rated as the best, and its expensive. I'm still holding off until after Christmas when we will see some big price drops on some gear.  I have a problem seeing the fine details on a 10-12 inch screen, I'm going to get a tune up of my glasses soon, if that helps, I may go for a new one in January.

totoreco

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 01, 2013, 02:05:32 PM »
iPad, iPhone with this
http://camranger.com/product/297/
5DIII, EF 16-35 L2, EF 24-70 L2, EF 70-200 L2, EF 85 L2, EF 50 1.4, SIGMA 50 A, EF 40 STM

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: December 01, 2013, 02:05:32 PM »

msatter

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 01, 2013, 02:21:35 PM »

Ruined

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 01, 2013, 02:54:05 PM »

It's quite a bit heavier compared to Nexus or iPads. More like an ultrabook.

Asus T100TA ($349-$399) runs Lightroom well and weighs about the same as an iPad Air :)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: December 01, 2013, 02:54:05 PM »